Malcolm X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Malcolm X Reviews

½ October 21, 2016
Finally saw this one. Won't lie it was the three hour and twenty minute run time that always threw me off because I knew I wanted to watch it fully through and not piece by piece. Well glad I did. Although it is slightly dated I found it very well done. Denzel Washington plays the title role of Malcolm X. The film is shown during his early life where he is a small town crook that gets busted. Malcolm experiences the racism from white people early on. His father was killed by the KKK, the judge gave him and his friend a huge sentence not even for robbing someone, but for sleeping with white women. While in prison Malcolm converts to Islam under the mentorship of a fellow inmate Baines (Albert Hall). Converting to Islam gives Malcolm a path and he soon join The Nation Of Islam leading his own crusade to bring about the equality and love for his people. The movie is well paced it fits in some flashbacks to go over Malcolm's early life and it never takes away from the plot moving forward. Denzel is fantastic as the lead. He brings about the character and the power behind his speeches and actions. Overall, really great movie and I'm glad to have finally watched it. The words of Malcolm X weren't always agreed upon by everyone, but his clear message of loving yourself and not changing to please someone else is something anyone can agree upon. Highly recommended.
½ October 7, 2016
Directed with levels of assurance and evocation only Spike Lee could provide, "Malcolm X" is worth every minute of its excessive runtime.
October 6, 2016
Spike Lee's biopic of the legendary civil rights leader suffers from message over substance , still brought to life by by a powerful performance from Denzel Washington . 7/10
October 1, 2016
Spike Lee's masterpiece is as layered and engaging as the life of its protagonist, with an accurate and honest depiction of the civil rights leader brought to life by a compelling performance from Denzel Washington.
September 23, 2016
3 hours went by fast. amazing film!
½ August 12, 2016
8/12/2016: Pretty disappointing. It was too long and too boring.
August 9, 2016
A amazing film that Denzel Washington gives a top performance in with him portraying the calm yet intimidating Malcolm X. The topic is great but this films goes for a little more than the usual bio pic with it being quite brutal harsh but thats who Malcolm was white people hate him cause he didn't white people how hew went from ignorant to quite smart referring to anyone who didn't agree with his points provided by the Nation of Islam and Elijah Muhammad. May I say the one scene I enjoyed more than most was a scene that had the usual Spike Lee shot to where it doesn't see something thats going on in reality but in the mind while the wonderful "a change is gonna come" by Sam Cooke plays. This movie is a masterpiece show how brutal America was back then. I think Spike did a amazing job with he blows being realer than most. The darkness of America back then is evil with the KKK, police brutality and the rise and fall of Civil Rights leaders when the black community rose up and said we have had enough mixed with beautiful camera work and a great meassage I suggest Malcolm X to anyone who can face the brutality of past America.
July 22, 2016
The movie may have merits and I'm not denying there aren't good scenes, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it. When a movies so long that it's split onto two separate discs, there's bound to be moments where it drags. And boy does it drag.
July 16, 2016
Informative and compelling. Well made on the whole.
July 15, 2016
Fabulous movie; brings me to tears each time!
June 18, 2016
One of the better biopics I've seen. In terms of pace and cinematography it reminded me of nothing so much as the Godfather films; evocative of the past through very traditional still camera setups and heavily dependent on dialogue to make the story flow. Plotwise, the film manages to balance the difficult task of demonstrating Malcolm's extremism and his compassion without seeming like there's any contradiction between the two. His basic journey is that of redemption, from a petty criminal in the first act to the influential spokesman of a religious sect in the second to an human rights activist promoting toleration and brotherhood in the final act. In fact, one of the great tragedies of his life is that he died just when he seemed to have found enlightenment but before he had much time to act on it. Malcolm seems to have spent his life improving himself and that provides the film with a curiously uplifting message.
June 15, 2016
Very long biopic of a man who, in other films, was portrayed as the one man who didn't believe in non-violent protests. That doesn't come across in this film, I'm sure it's factually correct but perhaps some of the story is hiddne a bit. Interesting film about an interesting bloke.
½ May 10, 2016
First hour was just unnecessary. Could have been concluded in 10 to 15 min. The transitional period in prison was were the film kicked in and never let go. Inspirational, educational and powerful.
As Muslim I was also provided by an unexpected message. Religious sects and parties are susceptible to corruption of its members and message and would normally be built upon some truth to reach the masses. At the end its not God whom they serve but their own goals and interests. Malcoom X was among the few who realized this corruption and broke free from it but everything comes at a price! May Allah reward him for what he's done.
This is also true and would apply to other religious communities.
½ March 17, 2016
Good portrayal of Malcolm.
½ February 22, 2016
I have no idea why Denzel Washington didn't get an award for his performance here. A superb movie from Spike Lee that makes you think about the revered civil rights leader. A superb biopic.
½ February 21, 2016
One of the best examples of Biopic Film-making, in that it establishes and breaks all the rules, giving us the definitive dramatization of an unfinished life, whose identity was in a state of re invention.
January 21, 2016
This is my favorite Spike Lee movie. That's not saying much. I cant stand his style. Like his other movies, it just seems to juvenile to me, as of made by a student. Random "artsy" things thrown in like gun shot noises for no apparent reason were the worst.

This story could really use a new more serious treatment.
½ January 21, 2016
One of the great biopics, featuring one of the great film performances. Only some heavy-handedness, particularly in the final minutes, keep this from being a full five stars (much like Schindler's List). As it stands,it's still one of the most powerful films of the nineties, a sweeping, richly photographed, and thoughtful exploration of one of America's most fascinating and influential modern figures.
December 24, 2015
Epic biopic, centred around a phenomenal Denzel
½ December 12, 2015
Malcolm X's fascinating life is illustrated with spirit, power and meticulous detail. Denzel Washington's passionate and determined portrayal of a man committed to creating change helps this film rise above most others.