Malcolm X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Malcolm X Reviews

July 22, 2016
The movie may have merits and I'm not denying there aren't good scenes, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it. When a movies so long that it's split onto two separate discs, there's bound to be moments where it drags. And boy does it drag.
July 16, 2016
Informative and compelling. Well made on the whole.
July 15, 2016
Fabulous movie; brings me to tears each time!
June 18, 2016
One of the better biopics I've seen. In terms of pace and cinematography it reminded me of nothing so much as the Godfather films; evocative of the past through very traditional still camera setups and heavily dependent on dialogue to make the story flow. Plotwise, the film manages to balance the difficult task of demonstrating Malcolm's extremism and his compassion without seeming like there's any contradiction between the two. His basic journey is that of redemption, from a petty criminal in the first act to the influential spokesman of a religious sect in the second to an human rights activist promoting toleration and brotherhood in the final act. In fact, one of the great tragedies of his life is that he died just when he seemed to have found enlightenment but before he had much time to act on it. Malcolm seems to have spent his life improving himself and that provides the film with a curiously uplifting message.
June 15, 2016
Very long biopic of a man who, in other films, was portrayed as the one man who didn't believe in non-violent protests. That doesn't come across in this film, I'm sure it's factually correct but perhaps some of the story is hiddne a bit. Interesting film about an interesting bloke.
½ May 10, 2016
First hour was just unnecessary. Could have been concluded in 10 to 15 min. The transitional period in prison was were the film kicked in and never let go. Inspirational, educational and powerful.
As Muslim I was also provided by an unexpected message. Religious sects and parties are susceptible to corruption of its members and message and would normally be built upon some truth to reach the masses. At the end its not God whom they serve but their own goals and interests. Malcoom X was among the few who realized this corruption and broke free from it but everything comes at a price! May Allah reward him for what he's done.
This is also true and would apply to other religious communities.
½ March 17, 2016
Good portrayal of Malcolm.
½ February 22, 2016
I have no idea why Denzel Washington didn't get an award for his performance here. A superb movie from Spike Lee that makes you think about the revered civil rights leader. A superb biopic.
½ February 21, 2016
One of the best examples of Biopic Film-making, in that it establishes and breaks all the rules, giving us the definitive dramatization of an unfinished life, whose identity was in a state of re invention.
January 21, 2016
This is my favorite Spike Lee movie. That's not saying much. I cant stand his style. Like his other movies, it just seems to juvenile to me, as of made by a student. Random "artsy" things thrown in like gun shot noises for no apparent reason were the worst.

This story could really use a new more serious treatment.
½ January 21, 2016
One of the great biopics, featuring one of the great film performances. Only some heavy-handedness, particularly in the final minutes, keep this from being a full five stars (much like Schindler's List). As it stands,it's still one of the most powerful films of the nineties, a sweeping, richly photographed, and thoughtful exploration of one of America's most fascinating and influential modern figures.
December 24, 2015
Epic biopic, centred around a phenomenal Denzel
performance
½ December 12, 2015
Malcolm X's fascinating life is illustrated with spirit, power and meticulous detail. Denzel Washington's passionate and determined portrayal of a man committed to creating change helps this film rise above most others.
November 12, 2015
filmnya lama banget, cuma emang bagus banget dan rasanya waktunya emang pas buat nampilin semua ceritanya Malcolm X, dan aktingnya Denzel emang luar biasa!
October 29, 2015
Changed my life in many positive ways.
½ October 7, 2015
Denzel Washington is great as Malcolm X as well as Angela Bassett as Malcolm's wife. Spike Lee does a great job directing this especially the powerful ending. The movie sometimes was heavy handed in preachiness but for the most part held strong to the message of Malcolm X. Great screenplay as well
½ August 13, 2015
Interesting and Denzel is a great actor.
June 25, 2015
to long but great could get award for this flick
June 19, 2015
He was a very complex man, and this movie does a great job of portraying the several layers. It still blows my mind that Denzel gets an Oscar for training day, but not this...
June 1, 2015
the greatest biopic ever if not one of the greatest films ever just a fantastic piece of cinema beginning to end a electrifying believable sympathetic performance from denzel whasington. great acting front to back. so true to the story of Malcolm x. with denzel portraying Malcolm in the best way any one ever could. this movie is so true to his story. but yet not your typical snoozefest biopic either its got a energy to it a energy I've never seen in a biopic and I've seen in very few films in my life. spike "the race-baiting" Lee directs and he did do a good job but what makes the movie good is the acting and the energy of the acting the gritty portrayal of Malcolm's life the believability and the power the movie has and the fantastic musical score and a fantastic soundtrack as well. truly amazing film one of the greatest movies ever I've never seen a film like this and I never will again