Malcolm X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Malcolm X Reviews

½ July 1, 2017
"The building of a new nation begins with the woman."
June 25, 2017
This is the ideal biopic: true, detailed, and captures all sides of the man, Malcolm X.
June 23, 2017
My Mom Kelli Krajci Was 36 Years Old In 1992.
June 18, 2017
A great tribute to an amazing man. One of Denzel Washingtons best performance to date.
April 16, 2017
Rarely you see a great story casting and directing all in one. Omowale was one of the most powerful leaders during the civil rights movement! It was brought to the big screen and a great way
April 12, 2017
Good historical movie that people should know about starring Denzel Washington. I love comparing movies so I am going to compare malcolm X and Selma. I'm glad they denzel got nominated for his performance as malcom x. I've never heard of the story of Malcolm x and now that I have seen and witnessed his story it's interesting that he acted the way he did. I never knew he was an Islam and he's a more violent martin Luther king Jr and a some kind of dictator like when he moved all the black people from the hospital.
½ April 9, 2017
Biography about Malcolm X. Before this movie I didn't know a thing about him. Spike Lee does a good job but he needed to edit 30 minutes out. Movie is too long.
March 17, 2017
I don't remember this movie so I need to see it again.
February 22, 2017
Malcolm X works best as a stage for its star and an explanation for its hero. It is not as sweeping as other biopics of its time or as piercing as other Lee efforts, but nonetheless, it is sweeping and it is piercing.
½ October 21, 2016
Finally saw this one. Won't lie it was the three hour and twenty minute run time that always threw me off because I knew I wanted to watch it fully through and not piece by piece. Well glad I did. Although it is slightly dated I found it very well done. Denzel Washington plays the title role of Malcolm X. The film is shown during his early life where he is a small town crook that gets busted. Malcolm experiences the racism from white people early on. His father was killed by the KKK, the judge gave him and his friend a huge sentence not even for robbing someone, but for sleeping with white women. While in prison Malcolm converts to Islam under the mentorship of a fellow inmate Baines (Albert Hall). Converting to Islam gives Malcolm a path and he soon join The Nation Of Islam leading his own crusade to bring about the equality and love for his people. The movie is well paced it fits in some flashbacks to go over Malcolm's early life and it never takes away from the plot moving forward. Denzel is fantastic as the lead. He brings about the character and the power behind his speeches and actions. Overall, really great movie and I'm glad to have finally watched it. The words of Malcolm X weren't always agreed upon by everyone, but his clear message of loving yourself and not changing to please someone else is something anyone can agree upon. Highly recommended.
½ October 7, 2016
Directed with levels of assurance and evocation only Spike Lee could provide, "Malcolm X" is worth every minute of its excessive runtime.
October 6, 2016
Spike Lee's biopic of the legendary civil rights leader suffers from message over substance , still brought to life by by a powerful performance from Denzel Washington . 7/10
October 1, 2016
Spike Lee's masterpiece is as layered and engaging as the life of its protagonist, with an accurate and honest depiction of the civil rights leader brought to life by a compelling performance from Denzel Washington.
September 23, 2016
3 hours went by fast. amazing film!
½ August 12, 2016
8/12/2016: Pretty disappointing. It was too long and too boring.
August 9, 2016
A amazing film that Denzel Washington gives a top performance in with him portraying the calm yet intimidating Malcolm X. The topic is great but this films goes for a little more than the usual bio pic with it being quite brutal harsh but thats who Malcolm was white people hate him cause he didn't white people how hew went from ignorant to quite smart referring to anyone who didn't agree with his points provided by the Nation of Islam and Elijah Muhammad. May I say the one scene I enjoyed more than most was a scene that had the usual Spike Lee shot to where it doesn't see something thats going on in reality but in the mind while the wonderful "a change is gonna come" by Sam Cooke plays. This movie is a masterpiece show how brutal America was back then. I think Spike did a amazing job with he blows being realer than most. The darkness of America back then is evil with the KKK, police brutality and the rise and fall of Civil Rights leaders when the black community rose up and said we have had enough mixed with beautiful camera work and a great meassage I suggest Malcolm X to anyone who can face the brutality of past America.
July 22, 2016
The movie may have merits and I'm not denying there aren't good scenes, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it. When a movies so long that it's split onto two separate discs, there's bound to be moments where it drags. And boy does it drag.
July 16, 2016
Informative and compelling. Well made on the whole.
July 15, 2016
Fabulous movie; brings me to tears each time!
June 18, 2016
One of the better biopics I've seen. In terms of pace and cinematography it reminded me of nothing so much as the Godfather films; evocative of the past through very traditional still camera setups and heavily dependent on dialogue to make the story flow. Plotwise, the film manages to balance the difficult task of demonstrating Malcolm's extremism and his compassion without seeming like there's any contradiction between the two. His basic journey is that of redemption, from a petty criminal in the first act to the influential spokesman of a religious sect in the second to an human rights activist promoting toleration and brotherhood in the final act. In fact, one of the great tragedies of his life is that he died just when he seemed to have found enlightenment but before he had much time to act on it. Malcolm seems to have spent his life improving himself and that provides the film with a curiously uplifting message.