Malcolm X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Malcolm X Reviews

May 21, 2018
Malcolm X is the greatest biopic ever filmed!

Spike Lee directs his magnum opus with his 1992 movie Malcolm X. It is as poignant a movie and message as when it was first conceived. Lee brilliantly adapted Alex Haley's novel The Autobiography of Malcolm X thoroughly. Malcolm X is a wholly comprehensive look at the life of Malcolm X. We see his childhood, young adulthood, incarceration, reformation, epiphany, all the way up to his assassination. It is historically accurate, detailed, fair, and quite profound. I also continue to find this movie highly entertaining at all times. Please watch Malcolm X.

Spike Lee's direction and creative visuals persist as some of the most innovative and immaculate cinematography and framing ever committed to film. Every scene has an interesting angle or perspective. So many cool panning shots and intense sequences. There are brilliant quiet moments filmed in a more intimate style, then boisterous scenes shot in a more wild style. Spike Lee proves his mastery as a director with Malcolm X.

Notably, Denzel Washington delivers his absolute peak performance as an actor. Watching Washington embody the look, tone, complexity, and wisdom of Malcolm X is a delight. He captures every type of personality that Malcolm represented, while simultaneously demonstrating Malcolm X's bold presence. Washington plays him calm, cool, and collected. Malcolm X starts out misguided, but evolves into the ultimate orator, verbose in vocabulary, passionate in faith, and engaging in speech. It is a pleasure to witness Washington's acting as Malcolm X.

A number of brilliant supporting performances are contained within Malcolm X. I love Angela Bassett in this movie as Betty X. Delroy Lindo is excellent as the mobster Archie. Albert Hall is captivating as Baines. Al Freeman Jr. is truly haunting in his take as Elijah Muhammad. I actually really love Spike Lee's portrayal of Shorty. He gives as good a performance as Lee does in Do the Right Thing. Every gives their career best here. It's an impressive ensemble to say the least.

In all, Malcolm X is an important film for society's conscious, film history, Denzel Washington's career, and Spike Lee's filmography. It is also the most engaging and comprehensive biopic ever released. I think people everywhere will relate and understand Malcolm X more deeply than what they previously knew before watching the movie. I highly recommend this cultural classic of cinema. Malcolm X will astonish you!
April 10, 2018
DW powerful performance.
March 7, 2018
One of the best films I've ever seen. The ending of the film is superbly done by Spike Lee.
½ February 3, 2018
An epic piece of work from both Lee and Washington.
January 1, 2018
Spike Lee's best film and maybe Denzel's best performance!
½ July 1, 2017
"The building of a new nation begins with the woman."
June 25, 2017
This is the ideal biopic: true, detailed, and captures all sides of the man, Malcolm X.
June 23, 2017
My Mom Kelli Krajci Was 36 Years Old In 1992.
June 18, 2017
A great tribute to an amazing man. One of Denzel Washingtons best performance to date.
April 16, 2017
Rarely you see a great story casting and directing all in one. Omowale was one of the most powerful leaders during the civil rights movement! It was brought to the big screen and a great way
April 12, 2017
Good historical movie that people should know about starring Denzel Washington. I love comparing movies so I am going to compare malcolm X and Selma. I'm glad they denzel got nominated for his performance as malcom x. I've never heard of the story of Malcolm x and now that I have seen and witnessed his story it's interesting that he acted the way he did. I never knew he was an Islam and he's a more violent martin Luther king Jr and a some kind of dictator like when he moved all the black people from the hospital.
½ April 9, 2017
Biography about Malcolm X. Before this movie I didn't know a thing about him. Spike Lee does a good job but he needed to edit 30 minutes out. Movie is too long.
March 17, 2017
I don't remember this movie so I need to see it again.
February 22, 2017
Malcolm X works best as a stage for its star and an explanation for its hero. It is not as sweeping as other biopics of its time or as piercing as other Lee efforts, but nonetheless, it is sweeping and it is piercing.
½ October 21, 2016
Finally saw this one. Won't lie it was the three hour and twenty minute run time that always threw me off because I knew I wanted to watch it fully through and not piece by piece. Well glad I did. Although it is slightly dated I found it very well done. Denzel Washington plays the title role of Malcolm X. The film is shown during his early life where he is a small town crook that gets busted. Malcolm experiences the racism from white people early on. His father was killed by the KKK, the judge gave him and his friend a huge sentence not even for robbing someone, but for sleeping with white women. While in prison Malcolm converts to Islam under the mentorship of a fellow inmate Baines (Albert Hall). Converting to Islam gives Malcolm a path and he soon join The Nation Of Islam leading his own crusade to bring about the equality and love for his people. The movie is well paced it fits in some flashbacks to go over Malcolm's early life and it never takes away from the plot moving forward. Denzel is fantastic as the lead. He brings about the character and the power behind his speeches and actions. Overall, really great movie and I'm glad to have finally watched it. The words of Malcolm X weren't always agreed upon by everyone, but his clear message of loving yourself and not changing to please someone else is something anyone can agree upon. Highly recommended.
½ October 7, 2016
Directed with levels of assurance and evocation only Spike Lee could provide, "Malcolm X" is worth every minute of its excessive runtime.
October 6, 2016
Spike Lee's biopic of the legendary civil rights leader suffers from message over substance , still brought to life by by a powerful performance from Denzel Washington . 7/10
October 1, 2016
Spike Lee's masterpiece is as layered and engaging as the life of its protagonist, with an accurate and honest depiction of the civil rights leader brought to life by a compelling performance from Denzel Washington.
September 23, 2016
3 hours went by fast. amazing film!
½ August 12, 2016
8/12/2016: Pretty disappointing. It was too long and too boring.