The Secret Garden - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret Garden Reviews

October 9, 2016
Warm and magic screenplay of a classic novel. A good example of how to make rich, smart movies for kids. Shall not miss it.
September 25, 2016
I would attribute an 8.5/10 rating on this film.
½ January 1, 2016
In the film The Secret Garden, A young spoiled girl suffers a tragedy as her parents are killed. She is sent to her uncles mansion where she is under the control of a mean house keeper who despises her and wants her out of the house. As she is outside she discovers a secret garden which she begins to tend. The garden opens and grows and she soon discovers her cousin and the two begin to live life again despite being enshrouded in darkness. The Secret Garden is a well directed warm tale that will no disappoint those looking for a film.
October 4, 2015
One of the most charming kids films ever.
½ October 3, 2015
One of my favourite childhood films ��
July 14, 2015
The events of this film are so far removed from that in the book it's absurd. The first portion of this film feels closer to a horror film than an uplifting story about growing up. The film is filled with contrived scenes and drama that is not present in the original work.
February 15, 2015
Maggie Smith is in this! It's a charming period piece and is gorgeous to look at. The soundtrack is a bit OTT but it doesn't detract from this powerful adaptation. Still fresh!
January 13, 2015
"Lie down, try not to cry, cry a lot" could I cite the famous meme and it's so true for The Secret Garden. I have to admit... I cried.
October 21, 2014
A charming adaption of Frances Hodgson Burnett's Secret Garden. It stays true to the spirit of the book although I could do without the frequent celestial moor songs. Despite this, I thought the movie was lovely and incredibly well casted.
September 1, 2014
An elegant piece of work from its script to acting to cinematography. "The Secret Garden" is the best adaption of the classic book about a young girl sent to a boarding school after the death of her parents.
Kate Maberly shines as the star if the film, Anne Lenox, and the supporting cast is marvelous as well.
Great story, great acting, beautifully shot by Rodger Deakins, "Secret Garden" is a classic.
½ August 29, 2014
I have always loved this movie!
August 23, 2014
I've seen this film multiple times (I've lost count!) and it is a fantastic movie! It's great for families to watch and the screenplay is marvelous. Having read the book, I was a bit disappointed with the changes made but they aren't drastic so they didn't affect the story too much which pleased me. Overall this is one of my favorite movies.
½ August 12, 2014
I could vaguely remember the details of this film from my childhood, and it was one that I had wanted to revisit for awhile.

The tones given off in this movie are magical within themselves and the landscapes are beautiful. Although it's pinned as a family film, it's not necessarily great for all kids. Many may want something a little more fast paced and dumbed down. Although the pacing is a little slow, it's alright because you like joining the kids for their adventures in the garden. I see it as making the film more of an experience than it stretching the script too thin. At times you could want a little bit more mysticism and enchantment, but it might be the point not to make the magic blatantly obvious. The characters all develop wonderfully because of this garden, whose magic you don't see in the stereotypical ways.

I love how it brings us back to the wonderment that we all have as a child. Where magic still exists--no matter how tangible the results. There's magic in the wonder itself. They realize that what they've really found wasn't just a garden, but themselves.

Twizard Rating: 93
August 2, 2014
(First and only full viewing - 2/28/2011)
July 19, 2014
Love this film! Beautiful cinematography and colors! That's really the only thing that stands out. I'm not real fond with the actors.
½ June 29, 2014
A well-made and expertly shot classic family film. A great atmospheric Gothic inspired story and some memorable characters to invest in, The Secret Garden is a must-see for adults and children alike.
May 30, 2014
"The Secret Garden" is a superbly beautiful and enchanting British film. With a garden, this movie thought how fantasies and magics made come more real without too much cruelty of visual effects. A film you should see with all your family.
May 9, 2014
The photography, score, and story combine to create one of the most beautiful harmonies in cinema. This film opens up my eyes to the beauty of nature every time I watch it. A very adult film about children.
April 15, 2014
One of my all time favorites! I watch this every spring :)