The Secret Garden - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret Garden Reviews

½ November 26, 2017
stupid it should get 0% rotten
November 19, 2017
a nice family movie. easy to watch interesting filmography locations and historic buildings
½ October 21, 2017
The spoiled protagonist is obnoxious and impossible to empathize for. She makes "The Secret Garden" an unbearable bit of family entertainment.
½ September 10, 2017
The movie didn't seem to flow well. The characters all changed dramatically in such a short time. I'm not sure what I was supposed to get from it other than the adults are idiots who don't know how to raise kids, but the kids somehow found a way to show them the light. Not very believable.
August 31, 2017
Living in India, Mary Lennox, a young, privileged girl, is left orphaned when her parents are killed in an earthquake. She is sent back to England where she goes to live on her uncle's estate. It is a fairly isolated existence and she has to find things to keep herself occupied. She finds a sickly young boy...and a secret garden.

A decent adaptation of the Frances Hodgson Burnett novel. Sweet and reasonably interesting. However, lacks a spark to make it overly engaging.

On the other hand, the 1949 version was brilliant: enchanting with an air of mystery and wonder. The performances by the children were spot-on and the chemistry between them worked perfectly.

For whatever reason, this version doesn't get to that level of enchantment and mystery, The children are okay, but not as likable as in the 1949 version. The air of mystery hardly existed and is extinguished pretty quickly.

Overall: not bad, but not compelling viewing.
August 18, 2017
Wonderful version of the Hodgson-Burnett classic children's novel with a terrific cast, including Dame Maggie, who is marvelous in everything she does. However, I still like the older Margaret O'Brien version the best, even though this one was very magical and beautifully filmed.
April 7, 2017
A wonderful tale of reawakenings, truly beautiful.
½ February 7, 2017
I'd never seen this film until now, some 24 years after it came out. It's actually a pretty good children's film and stands the test of time very well.
January 8, 2017
I would attribute a 8.5/10 to this film. Not quite as good as the 1949 film, but very close. True to the original 1910 novel. This is a classic family film that is vastly underrated and deals with strong and important themes on life (nature, illness, rebirth, etc.) that we should all be reminded of. I highly recommend viewing with multiple family members, with children (if and when available).
October 9, 2016
Warm and magic screenplay of a classic novel. A good example of how to make rich, smart movies for kids. Shall not miss it.
½ January 1, 2016
In the film The Secret Garden, A young spoiled girl suffers a tragedy as her parents are killed. She is sent to her uncles mansion where she is under the control of a mean house keeper who despises her and wants her out of the house. As she is outside she discovers a secret garden which she begins to tend. The garden opens and grows and she soon discovers her cousin and the two begin to live life again despite being enshrouded in darkness. The Secret Garden is a well directed warm tale that will no disappoint those looking for a film.
October 4, 2015
One of the most charming kids films ever.
½ October 3, 2015
One of my favourite childhood films ��
July 14, 2015
The events of this film are so far removed from that in the book it's absurd. The first portion of this film feels closer to a horror film than an uplifting story about growing up. The film is filled with contrived scenes and drama that is not present in the original work.
February 15, 2015
Maggie Smith is in this! It's a charming period piece and is gorgeous to look at. The soundtrack is a bit OTT but it doesn't detract from this powerful adaptation. Still fresh!
January 13, 2015
"Lie down, try not to cry, cry a lot" could I cite the famous meme and it's so true for The Secret Garden. I have to admit... I cried.
October 21, 2014
A charming adaption of Frances Hodgson Burnett's Secret Garden. It stays true to the spirit of the book although I could do without the frequent celestial moor songs. Despite this, I thought the movie was lovely and incredibly well casted.
September 1, 2014
An elegant piece of work from its script to acting to cinematography. "The Secret Garden" is the best adaption of the classic book about a young girl sent to a boarding school after the death of her parents.
Kate Maberly shines as the star if the film, Anne Lenox, and the supporting cast is marvelous as well.
Great story, great acting, beautifully shot by Rodger Deakins, "Secret Garden" is a classic.
½ August 29, 2014
I have always loved this movie!