Wyatt Earp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wyatt Earp Reviews

½ March 4, 2018
One can almost see what Kasdan was going for here, a Western Epic that both deconstructs and reinforces the myth of Wyatt Earp. What he got was a turgid, overlong mess. Costner is at his very worst here . . . boring and one dimensional.
March 4, 2018
The exploits of Wyatt Earps' western history in the late nineteenth century are told in this biographical account of his life.
The film is epic in length (over three hours) and production values. However it falls short of other modern Western movies such as Unforgiven released a year earlier that received much greater acclaim.
It mainly stars Kevin Costner as Earp. Now I am going to be controversial here. Costner is a wooden actor and I longed for a vintage Clint Eastwood in the role.
The movie's lengthy running time could been disected by at least forty minutes.
I much preferred Unforgiven and if memory serves me correct the great performance by Gene Hackman in that film. So imagine my disappointment at seeing Hackman relegated to about twenty minutes of screen time.
I had more viewing enjoyment watching Gunfight at the O.K. Corrall (1957) starring Burt Lancaster as Earp than this tedious version.
Just when you think the film is nearing a conclusion as in the legendary gunfight it goes off at a tangent of revenge killings for another forty minutes!
All is not a write off with this film. The production values are great as in production design, cinematography and locations.
A wasted opportunity.
½ January 21, 2018
Great list of actors, but not their best work. Definitely- Tombstone was more entertaining. However, as a historical piece this version was definitely superior. So weigh your needs, entertainment vs accuracy. Worth watching if you are a west or history buff. Otherwise, slow character development and Kevin Costner's lack of range is mind boggling.
January 19, 2018
A really good western for fans of the legend that is Wyatt Earp. Coming out at the same time as the much more animated Tombstone but offering a differing look at the life of Wyatt and his role in Western folklore.
Costner downplays the character but shows a steely heroism underneath.
Unfortunately, the larger than life versions of the characters in Tombstone are more fun to watch and this film feels like a history lesson at times.
October 15, 2017
waste of time. boring. too long cowboy movie
August 30, 2017
Epic detailed western clocking in at over 3 hours- gorgeously shot- with great performances; Dennis Quaid steals it as Doc Holliday. Story's been told before but this time it feels so real.
½ June 27, 2017
Not as dynamic as Tombstone and with a cast that's not as electric, but it's a fuller story, that delves more into the human side of these characters. You get a fuller story, even if it drags a bit. Works better as a history lesson, as this was apparently the more true to life story.
½ April 13, 2017
In the mold of other Costner movies like Waterworld and Dances with Wolves.....long.boring, and awful acting. Not even comparable to Tombstone.
½ January 6, 2017
boring film to long and just did not have the cool factore that tombstone did
January 6, 2017
Good western starring Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman, a bit long but still good.
½ January 4, 2017
Rotten corny overlong tosh. Costner is dead wet and the wives are even worse. Only Quaid deserves any credit but even his role is a bit hammed up. Just a bad Western at least an hour too long. The music is so corney too.
½ July 14, 2016
Long biopic that arguably doesn't have to be this length, but certainly flows well for its running time. It's not as commercial in style as its Hollywood sister film of the time 'Tombstone', but is perhaps a more grittier representation of the famous law-man than the aforementioned.
June 13, 2016
Lawrence Kasdan directs this western epic about the famed lawman, Wyatt Earp. Although not a terrible movie, this biopic had competition from "Tombstone" , another Earp movie released months earlier. This version is overly long and its cast not as remarkable as those of "Tombstone" .
½ April 13, 2016
Roger Ebert is to movies what Danica Patrick is to NASCAR...

Spare us your biased reviews, we don't care that you don't like westerns.
January 16, 2016
Maybe epic but not epic enough to get his whole life, something that would surely enlighten the era. well done with many life lessons. Like ennemies with guns may kill you or your brothers. I enjoyed englishes shooting at each others. Only one indian shot in the whole movie!
January 16, 2016
November 22, 2015
Saw this on 20/2/15
The film has superb cinematography and it may be more historically accurate than the more enjoyable Tombstone, but Kevin Costner (who is an actor that I like very much) gives one of his worst performances. It's not that he overacts, he just doesn't emote at all. After a certain point, unfortunately the entire film develops the mood and spirit of Costner's performance, becoming excessively dull and morbid. Despite it's big budget, the film rarely has a single action scene and it's mostly talky all the time. Watching the film, we might even wonder about the historic figure in concern, ie what sort of a legend is this Wyatt Earp? That's the film's biggest sin. The film also concentrates simply too much on Earp, I know it's a biopic, but one that simply has it's eyes glued on Costner is too boring. However, Dennis Quaid manages to provide a good performance in a role that gave his really no scope at all.
October 26, 2015
A detailed look into Tombstone's famous Earp brothers life and tribulations.
October 25, 2015
Good film hampered by over length.
Jim P.
October 15, 2015
It was a good movie but it was just too long. Way too long.