Village of the Damned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Village of the Damned Reviews

October 31, 2017
I rarely say this, but this movie could do with an update. It holds up okay, but it needs more development and a better last few frames.
½ August 31, 2017
I can't compare it to the original but it seems like a decent remake, and the kids are eerily creepy!
½ October 10, 2016
Definitely not Carpenter's strongest, but also not nearly as big a mess as Ghosts of Mars. Village of the Damned features a great cast, but uneven pacing issues, and unavoidable comparisons to the original classic make it a difficult watch. 2 1/2 stars
September 22, 2016
I would have expected tons from John Carpenter.
August 14, 2016
Terribly misguided remake of the 1960 semi-sf classic. It's actually not bad for the first quarter but like the 1960 original, things somewhat go downhill fast when the actual kids arrive. Christopher Reeve grunt acts most of the time, while Kirstie Alley just stands around and smokes smokes smokes. Not very good.
½ August 7, 2016
horror movies with kids = not scary
July 10, 2016
Good music, engaging story. All get killed except one. Aliens
May 27, 2016
John Carpenter and the aliens, on this adaptation of the Sci-Fi classic "The Midwich Cuckoos", already previously seen on film in the 60's by the hand of Wolf Rilla. If I didn't know better, I'd say Village of the Damned was written by Stephen King (Children of the Corn, hello??) sort of feels like it, but it wasn't. Carpenter manages to create a disturbing movie, with a sober, yet effective cinematography, that sometimes takes us back to the good old "the Fog" days.
May 22, 2016
pretty good remake as far as they go
April 25, 2016
I don't hate this movie. It's fine. Is it as good as the original? Of course not. But it's watchable for sure.
April 14, 2016
A bit of a tepid, straight forward remake, but that's more of a result of a meddling studio. Since it was still Carpenter at the helm, it still has solid sense of dread and great score.
February 23, 2016
Into the infernal remake shitland.
½ November 2, 2015
good solid movie kids are scary
October 28, 2015
You ever watched an entire film, desperately searching for something really good, but never quite finding it? That feeling sums up John Carpenter's remake of Village Of The Damned, a total missed opportunity. When a bizarre event occurs in the sunny town of Widwich, the women of the town fall simultantiously pregnant, baffled by the towns situation a group of scientists invade the town, in hopes of a new discovery, only what they find is a force that cant be stopped. For all the star power and building blocks that Carpenter has in place here, the film never really takes off at all. The cast are all brilliant, Chris Reeves, Kirstie Alley, Mark Hamill and Linda Kozlowski all do admirable jobs with the material they have and the script isnt exactly terrible either, the dialogue flows well, the plot makes sense and the structure works, its just that Carpenter doesnt seem to know what to do with all his tools. Village Of The Damned feels lost, without a purpose and desperately in need of an identity. On a basic level the film is fine, its a decent length, it holds your attention and it has some nice moments littered throughout, but it doesnt get your blood pumping like it should, the concept never upsets and with the subject matter we should be quivering in our seats. It's not the first time that Carpenter has remade a cult classic and you'd be forgiven for thinking that the huge upheaval that was done on The Thing, would at least act as a basic staple for how to approach another cult classic, but for all the inventiveness The Thing boasts, Village just feels lazy and unloved. The film does have some fine moments, most memorable would be the finale, but these moments only shine due to the mundane sequences that surround it. Village lacks Carpenters invigorating touch, while not a complete travesty, Village never gets your heart racing, a missed opportunity.
½ October 25, 2015
I haven't seen the original yet, so I won't be comparing the two, but just giving a fresh look into this film. I honestly found this suspenseful and very smart. I enjoyed it a bit and do recommend this for more of a mid day horror film.
½ September 15, 2015
Carpenter's 1995 update of the sci-fi classic, Village Of The Damned, was uneeded as with the film's basic plot is to vague and it can't really be expanded on. This type of plot is very basic but only really suits the films from the 50's (although the original was released in 1960). This very basic sci-fi film is a long winded and over long piece of crap which surprisingly showcases a decent performance from Christopher Reeve. The script is crap, as well as the execution of the film in general, with some cheesy special effects and a score that doesn't work there's nothing really good about this one. John Carpenter certainly made a horrible decision here and should of left it to some film school graduate to destroy a classic.
July 22, 2015
A film I first saw at 12-13 years old & remember being considerably scared & frightening but re-visiting this film at 28 years old was a different experience.

Basically a direct remake of the English 60's film with very little embellishments. This film has quite a few chilling scenes that stayed in my mind even 15 years a go.

The story of many women becoming pregnant after an unusual blackout & all give birth to these unsettling babies that grow into telepathic children. A little lame parts but I found the film genuinely entertaining more than scary.
June 24, 2015
You've all probably heard the saying that "Sex Is Like Pizza, Even When It's Bad It's Still Pretty Good" that also applies to John Carpenter movies in my opinion...