Heavy Metal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heavy Metal Reviews

½ May 23, 2017
VERY inconsistent, but overall a good, weird dark-comedy.
May 9, 2017
Really, people? "Sexist"? "Hurtful"? You all obviously missed the movie's point; it's supposed to be a dumb, trippy sci-fi/adventure with awesome, drug fueled animation. Sure, there's nudity abound, but what, we have to hate a movie just because they have the balls to show a little TnA?

Sure, it's dumb. But it's fun. Lighten up, light it up, and enjoy
April 16, 2017
I think my original viewing of this film was the best possible way to see it, a midnight showing at a local arthouse theater (one that actually used to be a mortuary). This anthology animated film that features science fiction shorts from animators from around the world was cutting edge at the time, but now seems incredibly dated. What stood out most rewatching it now was the film's gross misogyny. When I first saw this as an adolescent boy, that didn't stand out so much, but watching the film now, it's objectification of the female characters is so over-the-top that it's uncomfortable to watch. I suppose this is reflective of the comic book this film was based on, but that doesn't really make it okay. Some of the shorts are better than others, but none of them stand out as great. The best is probably "Den," a segment that seemed to fully embrace the ridiculousness of this film's adolescent boy point of view. "Den" tells the story of a young boy who finds himself in the musclebound body of an intergalactic hero, voiced by John Candy, fighting bad guys and saving buxom damsels in distress. That segment is entertaining, but nothing great. The film's 80s heavy metal soundtrack (along with a solid Elmer Bernstein score) are fun, as is the voice acting by John Vernon, Eugene Levy, Joe Flaherty, and Harold Ramis, but overall, this film is pretty weak and does not hold up, despite it's cult reputation. Mostly what I'm going to remember about this film is that first time I saw it in the theater when a very high theatergoer behind me would randomly shout out, "Loc-Nar!" every time the glowing green orb appeared on screen.
March 18, 2017
So Strange, it makes you feel weird in the brain
March 10, 2017
True is that F for Fake becomes wearisome sometime before its first hour comes to a halt. Everything is so obnoxiously frenetic, with so many topics melting together sometimes incomprehensibly, that it proves to be exhausting to try to keep up with the man who steals our hearts both behind and in front of the camera.  But the fact is is that we're so enraptured with Welles' passion, with the twinkle always glistening in his eyes, and with the tickle forever resting in his voice, that we cannot help ourselves from strongly responding to all in front of us.
January 2, 2017
Immature, but worth a watch for the experience.
December 19, 2016
The movie Heavy Metal is in many ways what the Disney's Fantasia was for classical music. Various metal songs are placed throughout different story lines. The common theme of all the story lines is a green orb that is the summation of all evil. The green orb tells a little girl its long history of wreaking havoc and chaos across the universe.

The first segment is with a cab driver in futuristic New York that gets involved with a damsel in distress. The girl is trying to get rid of the green orb, and has an offer of 300,000 to buy it from her. The cabbie Harry gets involved to keep her safe, only to find she will double cross her for greed. The second segment a nerdy teenager gains massive powers from the orb and is transported to another world. He saves a virgin about to be sacrificed and takes on the empire that includes an evil queen and her minions. The third segment involves a space captain that has gone through some heinous crimes, and pays off a witness to testify that he is a spectacular individual. The orb however mutates the witness into a giant who then wreaks havoc on the courtroom and city. The fourth segment features a World War II bomber that has a bunch of its men murdered, and then are subsequently turned into zombies by the orb. The fifth segment has an alien spaceship abducting a couple people. A robot (John Candy) then seduces one of the prisoners, while the pilots get high and nearly crash the spacecraft. The final segment, and the best of them all starts with the orb manipulating a bunch of men into ruthless warmongers. The owners of the city make a last effort and summon a Taarakian warrior. A beautiful one comes to the city on a giant velociraptor like bird and gets revenge and destroys the orb.

Heavy Metal is an interesting idea for a film. The concept art and style of the movie is quite original and works well for the type of film. Some of the segments seem pointless and could have been left out. The last segment inspired the sequel Heavy Metal 2000. Like many movies of its kind, the movie has a better idea on paper than it has execution. The film has some great concepts and ideas, but could have been much better. The fusion of the soundtrack with the orchestral score was one of the film's better strengths. The dark and mature themes will detract most, but fits well with the themes of most of the music. Heavy Metal is still an influential and cult hit type movie that is generally underrated for what it tries to accomplish. Hopefully the film day will one day get the budget and a director that can truly make this concept shine.

-12.19.2016
October 20, 2016
A collection of gonzo fantasy and sci-fi with an awesome rock and metal soundtrack. I never get tired of it.
October 19, 2016
Uneven and paced odd, yet animated with vision that's fun and silly.
August 29, 2016
An icon of late 70s sci-fi/fantasy thought and style.
August 23, 2016
The animation, art style and music are all top notch but if you're looking for a good story you came to the wrong place.
½ August 21, 2016
An offensive, sexist but hilarious movie that not much people can enjoy, but you can laugh about how they could have released this amazingly animated comedy in the 80s.
FINAL GRADE: B
August 13, 2016
1940's Fantasia Is My Tenth Favorite Film.
½ August 10, 2016
The badassary x 1000000000000000000000
July 4, 2016
Great animation styles merge in vignettes with rock iconic tracks make this a classic.
June 24, 2016
It's interesting to watch and it has some nice animation going on. It has a nice soundtrack going in the background, but.. if does feel juvenile and sexist.
Still it was better than I though in some other aspects.
May 25, 2016
one of my favorite animated movies very hardcore art work was very good for it's time favorite short stories were Harry canyon I'm Danny B52 and Taarna the defender
½ May 8, 2016
Decent Adult-oriented animated film. Pioneer for it's time. A lot of gore, breasts, and cool visuals. Very Michael Bay.
April 24, 2016
Several good tunes, but where's the film?
This has a plot that might have been thought up by several pre-teens immersed in their first all-night drinking binge - with an uncle's vintage Playboy's for inspiration. Even Ebert wrote a better script. A shame if you browse through the depth of the cast.
January 19, 2016
I feel like watching this movie got me high