Heavy Metal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heavy Metal Reviews

October 20, 2016
A collection of gonzo fantasy and sci-fi with an awesome rock and metal soundtrack. I never get tired of it.
October 19, 2016
Uneven and paced odd, yet animated with vision that's fun and silly.
August 29, 2016
An icon of late 70s sci-fi/fantasy thought and style.
August 23, 2016
The animation, art style and music are all top notch but if you're looking for a good story you came to the wrong place.
½ August 21, 2016
An offensive, sexist but hilarious movie that not much people can enjoy, but you can laugh about how they could have released this amazingly animated comedy in the 80s.
August 13, 2016
1940's Fantasia Is My Tenth Favorite Film.
½ August 10, 2016
The badassary x 1000000000000000000000
July 4, 2016
Great animation styles merge in vignettes with rock iconic tracks make this a classic.
June 24, 2016
It's interesting to watch and it has some nice animation going on. It has a nice soundtrack going in the background, but.. if does feel juvenile and sexist.
Still it was better than I though in some other aspects.
May 25, 2016
one of my favorite animated movies very hardcore art work was very good for it's time favorite short stories were Harry canyon I'm Danny B52 and Taarna the defender
½ May 8, 2016
Decent Adult-oriented animated film. Pioneer for it's time. A lot of gore, breasts, and cool visuals. Very Michael Bay.
April 24, 2016
Several good tunes, but where's the film?
This has a plot that might have been thought up by several pre-teens immersed in their first all-night drinking binge - with an uncle's vintage Playboy's for inspiration. Even Ebert wrote a better script. A shame if you browse through the depth of the cast.
January 19, 2016
I feel like watching this movie got me high
January 18, 2016
Fun but flawed animated film that holds a place in the genre in exploring darker areas but not a real classic due to some juvenile storytelling. The main problem with the movie is that, while claiming to be a 'mature' animated movie, plays more like a juvenile male fantasy, particularly in it's depiction of women, who always seem to get naked & throw themselves at every man they see. Even Taarna, the warrior heroine of the final story, is depicted in a skimpy outfit that manages to disappear more than a few times. That's not to say there aren't some good stories in this anthology, with "Harry Canyon" playing like a tech-noir in the vein of 'Blade Runner', while the "B-17" is a classic horror tale. Visually, the animation is gorgeous though uneven, though even today it's something to see violence & sex depicted realistically in animated film. Taken in the context this was a time the Disney-style of family friendly films dominated Western animation, it's even more so. The voice cast is solid for the most part (the late, great John Candy brings plenty of humor & personality to all his roles) and the soundtrack, from the rock songs to Elmer Bernstein's score, is a classic. Overall, as a film by itself, it's not that good, but as an historical animated film that broke new ground, it's worth a place in any fan's collection.
December 12, 2015
Un film cool qui a marque une generation.
October 17, 2015
Dated, probably moreso then it seems. The soundtrack is nice though not as memorable as it could have been. The animation varies, some segments are good and some are poor. As far as the trashy elements, they're picky, but it all ties in with the film's "cool" factor that makes it a fun watch though a guilty pleasure.
October 11, 2015
Bizarre animation, even more bizarre storytelling, tons of animated nudity, and a classic metal soundtrack, rightfully give his movie it's status as a cult classic.
September 13, 2015
Despite graphic violence, language, and explicit nudity, Heavy Metal has AMAZING animation, interestingly dark interwoven stories, excellent voice acting, thickly written characters, and most of all an absolutely kick-ass soundtrack, all of which make it the finest example of American-Animated films.
½ September 6, 2015
Possibly the worst animated movie I've seen.
½ September 2, 2015
Heavy Metal is one of the most mixed films I've ever seen. The animation and art is 10/10 gezz I wish more movies looked like this SERIOUSLY. But then again its overly sexualized and pretty aimless, most segments lack a punch or even a resolution. I can say its unique Its the movie definition of Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll.