Sudden Death - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sudden Death Reviews

October 13, 2016
Die Hard in a hockey stadium. Is it derivative? Of course. Is it awesome? Damn right.
½ September 12, 2016
A good action thriller in the same vein as Die Hard. One of few Jean-Claude Van Damme movies that I've seen, but it's the best so far. (First and only viewing - 9/12/2016)
May 7, 2016
For a Die Hard clone, it's got some fun action, deliciously ruthless villians and suprisingly self aware moments. It sadly does lose steam after a while. Nothing special, but solid entertainment.
August 6, 2015
Really well made and exciting 90's action flick, notable for a seriously mean streak, truly fucking unpleasant bad guys (Powers Boothe, you magnificent bastard!) and Van Damme fighting a lethal woman dressed as a penguin.
April 25, 2015
You can count on one hand and not use all the fingers when talking decent Van Damme movies but this is one and surprisingly so.
½ December 30, 2014
Great movie. While the plot of Sudden Death may be a tad preposterous, it's sets up all of its action sequences, fight scenes, and big thrills that it expertly delivers. The performance from Van Damme is also great, being funny and intense at the same time.
November 22, 2014
Die Hard at the Stanley Cup Finals... what more could one ask for?
November 2, 2014
Though it is die hard on ice I can't help but love the penguin fight
September 16, 2014
I didn't really think this movie would interest me based on the description, but I'm glad I watched it! I really enjoyed the story, all the action and the characters.
September 2, 2014
So cool cant stop waching it one of the best jean claude van damme movie
July 18, 2014
My favorite Van Damme movie, sure it is just a die hard rip off but when you think about it the stakes in this movie are way above die hard because instead of just a building full of business people this movie has a stadium full of people plus the vice president. Van Damme character is really good you feel sorry that he isn't a fire fighter anymore after the death of a small child and with him you are scared that his daughter will be killed so I think people should give this movie a re watch because it deserves it.
½ July 7, 2014
"Sudden Death" is cinematic excellence at it's finest quality. Van Damme beats the shit out of a hockey mascot and it's not hammed up - it's just an action scene. What would you do if you were a kick-ass martial artist trying to rescue your daughter and there was a terrorist dressed up as a hockey mascot? You'd probably beat the shit out of him, right? The realism in this movie is subtle brilliance. The fact that people call Van Damme's acting wooden is clearly language bias as the American audience has trouble accepting accents as a part of reality. However, as always, Van Damme is great at bending down in the middle of the street to hug the kid that runs after him, he gives warm smiles when needed, and beats the crap out of bad guys at an increasing rate until a fucking helicopter crashes into the stadium in super slow-mo with about a thousand camera angles on it. I would have said spoiler alert, but it's right there on the movie DVD cover. Discussing the plot of movies like "Sudden Death" is like discussing the action in "My Dinner With Andre," or the humor in movies like "Schindler's List": It doesn't matter! It's an action movie and the action is great as are the fight scenes, and all of the actors in the movie sure know how to act like they are beating each other to holy hell, and isn't that all you really want out of a vehicle for a martial artist? Thank you "Die-Hard" for spawning "Sudden Death."
April 11, 2014
A blatant Die Hard rip-off, but it's still good.
March 23, 2014
Top 5 Van Damme Film JCVD+The Pens Can't Beat That!
February 1, 2014
A bit different for a Van Damme movie; not much of the martial arts type fighting / choreography. This is an average action thriller that would have been better if it added one thing: believability. I had an extremely difficult time suspending my disbelief that a fireman, as athletic, courageous, and heroic as they may be, could accomplish what goes on here by himself.
½ January 17, 2014
Not too bad from Van Damme. The genre of those films of one man pitted in a situation with impending disaster and you just happened to be there. In the tradition of Die Hard, Under Siege and Speed this one is set in an Ice Rink. Hymans teams up with Van Damme again their first being Time Cop gets the thrills going again, the only thing I found annoying and a distraction was the kids but I guess they were needed to motivate him to rescue his girl. Over all pretty good could of been a bit tighter on the editing but overall very enjoyable.
½ January 5, 2014
Van Damme vs. a giant Penguin! oH YeA
January 1, 2014
Van Damme plays a fire marshal whose goal is to save the vice-president, kidnapped at the Stanley Cup finals of hockey. The film has that usual b-movie style that accompanies a lot of action vehicles of its time. But what is really hard to accept is the film's unrestrained use of implausibilities. Despite that, some fans of the genre will still find it passable.
½ December 2, 2013
Powers is a brilliant villain!