Primal Fear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Primal Fear Reviews

June 10, 2018
good movie with a good story and star-making performance by ed norton. a little dated. not as enthralling as another similar old court movie i recently rewatched in a few good men. also a few questionable parts. if this movie was made right and using today's standards, it could have been amazing (about 3 viewings)

SPOILERS

this movie has a really great twist, but could have been executed way better. aaron seems to be extremely clever but at the last second makes a completely unnecessary mistake. he just volunteers the information that gives him away. if it was part of a conversation or done in a more clever way, it could have been a lot more impactful. same with the final reveal with the cliched slow clap. he also volunteered more unnecessary info that he murdered the girl which wasn't even in question
May 24, 2018
Best romantic comedy I've seen in years. Richard Gere does it again.
March 27, 2018
Ponder for a moment how so many modern-day CGI superhero claptrap have 90+% rating compared to this movie's 74, and perhaps you'll understand why imo Tomatometer is a defunct metric for evaluating the quality of a film.
Primal Fear is a very well-written and phenomenally acted movie with a fantastic twist that makes not only Martin Vail, but the audience itself, question the nature of justice. I won't say more..except to perhaps also add that there was once a time when movies had a great cast that happened to be diverse, like this movie (people of color and women), without hitting you over the head with the fact that "it's a diverse cast" or "there's a female lead" etc. I miss those days. Now everything feels political. End rant. Watch this movie it's awesome.
½ March 13, 2018
I'm such a sucker for twisting, histrionic courtroom dramas, and this is a very good one. Norton is certainly the standout; not because he's great (though you could argue he is), but because his constant mood changes and vastly different personalities are deep and compelling. Maybe it's a bit basic at times, not to mention the despicable gender politics, but it's still a quintessential and engrossing 90s mystery procedural.
½ March 7, 2018
L'interpretazione di Edward Norton è sicuramente la parte migliore di questo particolare film che dedica non poco tempo a vicende giuridiche e udienze in tribunale. A volte si fa fatica a seguire il filo logico dei discorsi per via della loro eccessiva velocità, ma nel complesso la sceneggiatura funziona ed intrattiene senza annoiare. Ciò che riesce alla perfezione sono alcuni colpi di scena che colgono alla sprovvista e lasciano senza parole. Il finale è la parte migliore del film, dà un intenso significato a tutta la pellicola con un messaggio molto crudo, intenso e memorabile.
February 8, 2018
Richard Gere shines in this crime-psychological thriller in spite an almost familiar plot, the film moves throughout a rollercoaster of well written characters, powerful moments and the rightful direction of Gregory Hoblit that'll lead an engaging story into unexpected turns, all in favor for a carefully constructed drama that takes advantage of its grandeur advocate-environment, mixing crime and one of the best performance debuts in a young Edward Norton.
½ December 20, 2017
Great movie, from beginning to end. Very exciting thriller.
November 17, 2017
Wow. Goosebumps for Edward Norton's performance.
October 22, 2017
I just LOVE this movie! I watch it whenever it happens to be showing. I think all of the cast give excellent performances. Richard Gere, Laura Linney, and Edward Norton Jr. are all at their best. And the plot is one of the best courtroom dramas I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of them! I can't recommend this movie enough....
½ October 12, 2017
Excellent movie, exceptional performance from both Edward Norton and Richard Gere! If you love movies with twists and turns, this road will have you driving all over the place wondering and second guessing until the very end. Another great court room movie! A must see!
September 30, 2017
Still holds up as one of the great court room drama films. Edward Norton's performance is nothing sort of brilliant. Instantly made me a fan of his.Richard Gere does a phenomenal job too. I This was one of the first five DVDs I bought as a teenager and it still holds up.
September 10, 2017
With straight-forward direction and camera work that do little to inspire, a whole host of characters that range from bland and stereotypical to rather pointless, and a number of plot points that weren't satisfactorily resolved, things don't seem to come together quite as perfectly as you'd hope in the end. However, the film thrives on its compelling central story and an absolutely fantastic performance from Edward Norton, both of which are engaging enough to distract from some of its other problems. In the end, you're left thinking it was a good film that had potential to be something great.
September 1, 2017
Norton deserved an OSCAR for this performance, nuff said.
½ August 19, 2017
Though it often strangely feels like a television pilot, Primal Fear more than succeeds due to great characterization and acting, as well as a twisty and confident script.
July 7, 2017
Big name cast, story that keeps your interest and builds to the unexpected conclusion. Richard Gere is amazingly handsome and and Edward Norton give a tremendous performance. Worth seeing if you enjoy crime, legal drama.
April 26, 2017
Yes, it's derivative, but it takes you on it's own mysterious yet interesting path.
½ April 23, 2017
One of my favourite courtroom thrillers and a stellar debut by Norton.
April 21, 2017
This is a straightforward, entertaining thriller with unexpected twists, and an Oscar-worthy performance by Edward Norton.
April 18, 2017
Norton kills it and makes this the thrill ride it is.
April 4, 2017
This is a pretty well-crafted courtroom drama with an unpredictable plot twist. Also, it first introduced us to how great of an actor Edward Norton was and how great he was at conveying different moods.

After an altar boy is accused of brutally murdering a famous archbishop, his lawyer begins to realize that he has a split personality which causes him to do violent acts. He then has to perform the difficult task of pleading insanity to the jury.

This movie is a very good courtroom thriller. It brings its own twists and alterations to the genre and it makes for a pretty well-crafted movie. Although its storyline is pretty typical by today's standards, it is still a great watch because of the plot, twist, and acting.

The acting in this movie is very well-done. Edward Norton is able to sound like 2 convincing characters. His performance is well-done and it shows us that he can convincingly convey different emotions and moods. I also really liked Laura Linney's performance. She plays the role of a rude and nasty lady and her facial expressions and the tone of her voice often makes us hate her in several scenes involving the courthouse.

The plot twist at the end caught me off guard. I'm not going to spoil what it is but it's really well-done. It doesn't make the movie seem unrealistic and fanciful at all and it changes the movie immensely on your second viewing. The movie gave no nods or clues to it so it's extremely hard to be able to predict it. It comes truly as a surprise.

So in conclusion, this is one of the best courtroom dramas in the past few decades. It has a great plot and a great twist. But most importantly, it is the movie which first introduced us to Edward Norton and how great of an actor he was.