Primal Fear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Primal Fear Reviews

July 16, 2016
I saw most of this movie this morning and Edward Norton can do no wrong.
½ June 30, 2016
Riku Kere ja oikeussalidraama. Ei niin huonokaan.
June 21, 2016
Great movie, from beginning to end. Very exciting thriller.
June 20, 2016
It was a one-night stand...it just lasted 6 months...

What appears to be an open and shut case when an altar boy is seen bloody fleeing the scene of a crime that led to a dead priest is anything but obvious. A defense lawyer takes the case for no money with a point to prove, but shortly after entering his plea, he realizes there is more to this case then he could have ever imagined and he may have stepped on a landmine from the very beginning.

"I haven't seen this many lawyers and politicians together since this morning at confession."

Gregory Hoblit, director of Fallen, Hart's War, Fracture, Untraceable, Frequency, Class of '61, Roe vs. Wade, and NYPD 2069, delivers Primal Fear. The storyline for this picture is outstanding with some wonderful twists and turns and great character development. The cast delivers outstanding performances and includes Richard Gere, Laura Linney, Edward Norton, John Mahoney, Andre Braugher, and Joe Spano.

"Why gamble with money when you can gamble with people's lives?"

My best friend in college always adored this picture and I had seen it before and had to see it again for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten how great this film is. Norton is excellent in this film and it is great in a Fight Club/Usual Suspects kind of way. This is a very underrated thriller that is a must see and borderline worth adding to the collection.

"You want justice, go to a whore house. You want to get fucked, go to court."

Grade: A
June 20, 2016
to the point court drama thats forward moving and only slightly not my thing, yet still entertaining. side note: seeing skinny Bayard Ellis is strange.
½ June 10, 2016
A pretty straightforward courtroom drama, with an astounding debut performance from Edward Norton and a great ending reveal.
June 4, 2016
A breaking-through Edward Norton.
½ June 1, 2016
Kind of see the twist coming. But its satisfying all the same.
April 29, 2016
Though Primal Fear suffers from some incredulous antics that will never happen in a courtroom, it is powered through by Richard Gere's likeability and a great performance from Edward Norton.
April 23, 2016
Complex storyline, but very exciting and enjoyable.
½ April 19, 2016
unexpected end , great performances.
½ April 9, 2016
Great shock,
Great story
March 29, 2016
Primal Fear is both disturbing and riveting, and the same goes for Edward Norton's over-the-top performance.
March 12, 2016
I have mixed feelings about this film. It's premise is simple enough, a shady, famous defense attorney takes up a seemingly open and shut case only to find out there's more to it. Unoriginal and over dramatic subplots dilute the film from being a A grade film. But it's saving grace is the Aaron/Roy material and final climax and resolution of the case. Superb acting from Edward Norton and devilishly clever tricks allow this movie to go from from disappointing crime flop to dramatic crime thriller. The plot twist was remarkably well done and the sympathy viewers felt is relatively smuthered out by the end of the film. Do not see this movie for Richard Gere or the alluring romantic lawyer plot but see it for its core storytelling, or, as I did, for Edward Norton.
March 11, 2016
A substantial courtroom drama, "Primal Fear" thoroughly breaks down aspects of mental illness and the legal process, and ultimately ends on an epic twist.
½ March 10, 2016
A predictable but fantastic thriller, the performances here really make the movie. Edward Norton is phenomenal as defendant Aaron Stampler and Richard Gere is almost equally as good as sleazy defense attorney Martin Vale. In fact, there wasn't one performance here that wasn't anything less than great. The only real problem this film has IS its predictability. As a fan of mystery and crime thrillers, I could see the twist coming from a mile away. Even so though, the performances made it powerful all the same. Highly recommended if you're a fan of courtroom dramas or police/crime movies in general.
February 16, 2016
This movie was amazing. The characters were relatable, the story was compelling, and the twist man..the TWIST!! It was a work of art, a masterpiece if I may. The stellar cast worked together like ingredients to the most delicious cake on Earth. Recommended for everybody!
January 2, 2016
Edward Norton..... what an actor,kudos .
½ December 20, 2015
The stardard etiquette in Hollywood drama/thrillers in the mid-ninties. Even though a great cast and the so-called born of Edward Norton unleashes. In the sense of the court-dramas this is one of the better ones. Entertaining and solid.