Sleepers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleepers Reviews

February 11, 2019
TV, 2019/2/11
Four men got revenge which they have gone through a lot of hardships as a boy.
December 20, 2018
Saw this as a recommendation last night. After strongly denying that I've ever seen it, I then realized after watching for the first 90 minutes that I've seen this before but turned it off because it was boring me.
So, after finally getting to the end of it last night I can definitely say that this was not a good use of 2 1/2 hours of my life.
The story itself is really good but there's too many side plots that feel like just didn't belong here. Like the football scene, handball scene, the airport runway scene and that whole plot.
Then there's the "controversial" aspect of this film/book which is that this is supposed to be based off of a true story but there's no official court case to back it up with. I don't generally think a backstory like that should factor into my enjoyment of a movie, but they do mention it at the end of the movie, so it's not something I can avoid. I think they'd have been better off not including any of that in here and just focused on the story itself, cut some of the unnecessary side plots out, and focus a little more on the Brad Pitt character and everything he was risking. This guy basically threw his career away as opposed to the two thug friends who kept thugging and the Jason Patric character who was sorta boring. The one character that had the most to lose here was barely a focus.
Overall I'm glad I finally finished the movie but I won't be recommending it or going back to it on purpose.
½ December 18, 2018
Sleepers is easily Barry Levinson's best effort of the decade and the film willfully plays with moral constrictions. Despite protests from the Catholic Church this movie represents two and one- half hours of gripping entertainment, is well worth the price of admission. What is Sleepers about? It is about revenge and redemption, and how, in America's darkest social corridors and backalleys, the two can be inextricably linked. It's also a condemnation of a criminal justice system that allows innocence to be callously destroyed. Yet, even though Sleepers is basically a vigilante motion picture, it exists on a much higher plane than say Death Wish which offers a least common denominator, visceral satisfaction. Ably enacted by everyone involved(and there is a long list of great actors in here) this is a fantastically crafted drama.
½ September 16, 2018
Can't believe its been so long since Sleepers has come out but the film is as watchabke today as it was upon releaseBarry Levinson's Sleepers is a very good legal- crime dramatic feature film starring some great actors who get a change to truly shine through. The premise is that a group of 4 boys are sent to a detention center after committing a crime. Over there they are abused routinely until being let go. Deciding not to go vocal with their abuse, the boys go separate ways. Fast forward a decade and some and two of them kill one of the detention center guard after encountering him in a bar. They are convicted but with the help of the other two friends who are lawyers they are freed. The actors from Brad Pitt, Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman and Kevin bacon all give great performances in this Barry Levinson film.
½ September 3, 2018
½ August 28, 2018
Frank Medrano's performance stole the show. An interesting movie about friendship, criminality, corruption, revenge, and justice.
July 31, 2018
Barry Levinson's Sleepers is a very good legal- crime dramatic feature film starring some great actors who get a change to truly shine through. The premise is that a group of 4 boys are sent to a detention center after committing a crime. Over there they are abused routinely until being let go. Deciding not to go vocal with their abuse, the boys go separate ways. Fast forward a decade and some and two of them kill one of the detention center guard after encountering him in a bar. They are convicted but with the help of the other two friends who are lawyers they are freed. The actors from Brad Pitt, Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman and Kevin bacon all give great performances in this Barry Levinson film.(Starring great actors Sleepers is a great revenge film).
June 25, 2018
June 16, 2018
Ugh

Slow paced, meagre effort by all actors, particularly DeNiro. Dialogue was strained.

I don't know what there is to actually like.
June 15, 2018
The narration is a little heavy for me, but watching it through the lens of twenty some years difference, I believe the film aged well and now seems much more interesting. It's heartbreaking and frustrating, but a good movie with a great Kevin Bacon villain and sad Brad Pitt. Plus, DeNiro as a balln' priest.
June 8, 2018
Barry Levinson's all star heavy Sleepers is a very, very good film featuring some standout performances from known and unknown faces. This is a film you will remember for some time since you leave the theater.
April 21, 2018
Rarely can you call a movie intelligent. One of the best crafted movies compared to the junk being put out today.
April 13, 2018
An incredible coming of age drama that deals with abuse, trauma, and coping with rape. It's a heavy movie that explores the friendship between a group of young men and how they each deal with their environment and upbringing. Young Jason Patric and Brad Pitt stand out as excellent performances that pave the way for their future roles and Pitt's eventual stardom.

Robert De Niro is particularly wonderful as a kind priest that tries to teach these boys morals and fundamental wisdom for living life. De Niro plays it very empathetic and subtle in his acting. De Niro's priest functions as their collective father figure and a source of guidance. It's one of Robert De Niro's most understated roles. He is so good.

Kevin Bacon is another notable role in Sleepers. He is the most vile and reprehensible villain in Sleepers. He eats up the scenery when he is one screen in Sleepers. His heinous actions are hidden away behind his calm and collected demeanor. Bacon delivers one of his finest performances in his career. It's like a crash course in cruelty. Bacon is brilliant!

Check out Sleepers if you dare.
December 20, 2017
great story and cast. but super long and boring, with a prime old-movie-quality: narration. and the entertainment factor was low. (2 viewings)
September 29, 2017
Fantastic!!! Best movie I have watched in eons.
I Highly recommend!
½ August 24, 2017
The part with them as kids is the strongest element. Not that the part with them as adults is bad, it's just mostly a legal drama then, and while it's still interesting, especially because you've seen the kid part, it's pretty much like every other law drama TV Show or Movie. The score and cinematography are both really great, and the score was nominated for an Oscar, which was well deserved! The performances are all great, with the kids being surprisingly good, and the seasoned/veteran/popular adults obviously standing out! I personally really liked Dustin Hoffman, he was the stand out in the slightly less interesting law part! It's a long movie, but doesn't feel quite as long, because the kids part, for me at least, zoomed through! The law part does drag a little, if you've seen as many law things as me! Overall, this is pretty good!
August 9, 2017
Really a masterpiece. One of the few movies that not only stood the test of time but exceeded it.
July 29, 2017
A harrowing story of child abuse and subsequent revenge. The great ensemble cast gives forceful performances especially that of Kevin Bacon and Dustin Hoffman. This film is very important, for it rises the additional attention to the meanest and darkest features of human's nature.
½ April 30, 2017
Id say its a classic 90s movie, with great line up. A revenge movie, in some rather untraditional way. Thus the movie really dont manages to get out of the box, therefore it never really makes a deep impression either.
April 23, 2017
Clever story with an excellent cast.