Hamlet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hamlet Reviews

September 11, 2017
Kenneth Branagh's film version of Hamlet (1996) is in my opinion the greatest film of Shakespeare's classic play. Branagh stays true to the play's source material as well as redesigning the stories period setting. After watching the first 20 minutes of a 4 hour long epic, I was almost convinced that Ben-Hur (1959) would no longer stand my #1 Favorite Movie of all time (yet it still is, thankfully). The spectacle and scale of this film is purely entertaining; including its' all-star cast with my favorite Actor, Charlton Heston. Even though most people do not understand the Shakespeare language, the images are enough to help immerse us into the experience. Everything from the costumes, set, cinematography, editing, sound, performances and direction are ALL masterfully put together. Definitely a favorite!
Score: A+ GREAT!!!
August 27, 2017
Best version of Hamlet I've seen. Kenneth Branagh is the quintessential Shakespearean actor of our time. Branagh's expression and timing make Shakespeare understandable. Kate Winslet and Julie Christie (and a brief appearance of Billy Crystal and Robin Williams) also shine in this well-crafted picture.
½ July 23, 2017
Probably one of the most ambitiously designed Shakespeare adaptations of all time, and bolstered by phenomenal camerawork and a tremendously noteworthy cast. It's weighed down however by a questionable editing job, some overwhelming macabre, and a slightly overzealous Branagh in the title role.
½ February 13, 2017
Might be the best film adaptation of Shakespeare's timeless story that I have seen to date.
January 21, 2017
This brilliant adaptation of Hamlet proves that Shakespeare works just as good on the big screen as it does on the stage due to its marvelously written script and flawless acting from a distinguished cast - particularly Kenneth Branagh's dramatic tour de force, whose talent resonates on and behind the screen.
November 12, 2016
This epic, engrossing, completely uncut telling of William Shakespeare's masterpiece may be 4 hours long, but it's worth every second. From the gorgeous cinematography and art direction to the sublime performances; Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet is a cinematic feast.
May 14, 2016
Kenneth Branagh stars and directs in this beautiful, well-casted, and unabridged adaptation of the Shakespeare classic. Really good.
April 3, 2016
Abigail recommendation
March 4, 2016
Kenneth Branagh annoys me so much. I get the feeling that he is trying way too hard to try and form his own social class positioned slightly above upper where him and Emma Thompson and the rest of the Shakespeare luvvies preside. I have nothing against making a film in the original language of Shakey but FOR FOUR HOURS!! It's a bit difficult to concentrate on every line for four bloody hours, and you do need to concentrate if each two minute sentance is to be understood properly. This is, needless to say further, a very hard film to get through, even all the familiar faces don't come close to spicing it up. By the way, I quite like the story of Hamlet an all.
February 25, 2016
The definitive Hamlet, four beautiful, exciting hours of towering literature brought to the screen in style.
February 4, 2016
I sat through this thing when it came out. While I appreciate Branagh's efforts to create a complete production of the play, I thought it not well done. Many things that the play barely implied, such as the sexual relationship between Hamlet and Ophelia, we included explicitly, as if a modern audience needs to see actual flesh. The editing was weird and very choppy, and Branagh didn't make a very convincing Hamlet. I'm surprised it's been so highly praised...
December 12, 2015
A spectacular, thrilling and exacting adaption of Shakespeare's that is beautifully filmed and well acted.
September 27, 2015
"Hamlet" de Kenneth Branagh es sin duda la adaptación más fiel a la obra teatral de Shakespeare. Plasmada de forma colosal y sin olvidar ninguno de sus diálogos o sus escenas y sobretodo por mostrar un excelente trabajo del director y los actores tan capaces de seguirlo en su ambiciosa adaptación.
September 9, 2015
Easily my favorite Shakespeare adaptation so far
June 10, 2015
holy shit this was good
May 21, 2015
really interesting take on the Bard's play
May 12, 2015
The ultimate Shakespeare cinematic experience. It's four hours long, but not a second is wasted as Kenneth Branagh utilizes every line of the original 'Hamlet' script. Forget the Mel Gibson version, or even that overly-colorful Romeo + Juliet; this movie is where it's at.
½ April 20, 2015
Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet is the first of the major motion picture versions that I watched in an attempt to study various takes on the famous character. It is unique in that it is a completely unabridged version of the Shakespearean text. Which of course means that it is a FOUR AND A HALF HOUR LONG FILM!

So as I watched it and took in the glory of the Shakespearean word I had many thoughts and ideas that led me to write this blog. And though I could ramble for days they say that Brevity is the soul of wit therefore I will be brief.

Things I Liked:

Derek Jacobi. Mr. Jacobi is easily the best actor in the film. And why wouldn't a Shakespearean powerhouse excel in a Shakespearean film. Jacobi steals scenes when he is on screen and his ability to play with the text is captivating as he makes every word have meaning and purpose and even in moments when I was grabbing something from another room or glancing away from the screen briefly I could still understand everything he was saying. He is a true inspiration for someone who wishes to master the bard as I do.

The Bit Characters. Some of the best parts of the film were choices to include very talent actors in very small parts. Billy Crystal as the Gravedigger, Charlton Heston as the Player King, and Robin Williams as Osric the Page. Each of them shines in their brief time and Crystal especially excels as a fantastic Gravedigger showing he is a versatile and nimble comedian in heightened language as well as pedestrian.

The Plot. As much as one would thing the text being unabridged would drag the movie down and make it hard to get through, it in fact does the opposite. Having the entire text actually makes the story more accessible, it causes you to understand much more easily what is happening throughout the play and gives you more detail into characters and conflicts than may have been previously alluded to. I actually like the 4 and 1/2 hour cut of the play for those reasons and I a disappointing that modern audiences would probably never let this fly again on this grand of a scale.

Things I Didn't Like

Kenneth Branagh. Here is the thing that makes this movie hard to get through. Hamlet. More specifically Kenneth Branagh's portrayal of Hamlet. The way he plays Hamlet is filled with extreme emotions that detract from the power of the words he says. He shouts far to much and give his soliloquies a tone that screams "THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER". It's Hokey, It's overdone, It's unnecessary, and honestly it's dissapointing considering how good Branagh and Shakespeare can be together.

The Design. I honestly think the major part of this film I find offputting about this version of Hamlet is how grand Branagh tried to make everything. He knew it may be one of his only shots at doing it and so everything is over the top and grandiose and honestly, it loses moments as a result. It's power as a script is in the intimacy of Hamlet's thoughts and those are gone because everything is huge and momentous and this all goes back to the same source. Kenneth Branagh.

Overall. Hamlet has it's moments and many of the supporting players are fun to watch but the desire to be the greatest adaptation from Kenneth Branagh stifles the look, feel, and lead performance. It's focus is in the wrong place and as a result it is only a mediocre adaptation. Which is a shame because I really hoped for much more powerful, inspirational, and resonant take on the classic tragic character.
April 17, 2015
Really really long but kept me into it thanks to Kenneth Branagh's captivating performance. Julie Christie, Kate Winslet, and Michael Mahoney are also great. The score, writing, production design, art direction, and costumes are all wonderful too
March 3, 2015
I mean really, the only critique I could have about the movie would be the differing acting choices I would have made. But if that's really the worst thing you can say about a movie, it doesn't even count as a complaint.
This movie would make the bard proud.