The Rainmaker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rainmaker Reviews

September 19, 2016
The Rainmaker is a heart-welming tale portrayed by a talented cast.
Nothing extraordinary, but a good example of how originality is not required to make a movie an enjoyable and romantic experience.
½ August 29, 2016
Matt Damon is Rudy Baylor in the film based on John Grisham's novel the Rainmaker. Rudy new and naive and is attached to his clients. He takes on a large case dealing with fraudulent insurance claims. Despite just passing the bar he has one of the largest cases worth millions of dollars. His co-counsel (Danny Devito) has failed the bar several times, and its a case of the little guys vs. the big corporation. To make matters worse he has fallen for a girl (Claire Danes) who is being abused constantly and fears for her safety. The Rainmaker is the ultimate underdog tale. The fresh new kid off the block taking on the big time lawyers (Jon Voight). Coppola keeps the film rolling and its an all around decent film.
August 26, 2016
The Rainmaker is a heart-welming tale portrayed by a talented cast.
Nothing extraordinary, but still an enjoyable movie.
½ May 2, 2016
4/21/16 I found this a bit average. The film is pretty old now, so maybe i just felt like I had seen this already before (since they have done a lot of Grisham adaptations). It just doesn't have the punch that I was hoping for.
April 23, 2016
Another top-notch Francis Ford Coppola film with his strong direction making this adaptation of a John Grisham novel one of the better films. More importantly, the legal team of Matt Damon and Danny DeVito against Jon Voight in the courtroom makes it a highly entertaining and gripping legal drama.
April 21, 2016
Loved this movie. Shows that idealism is just what it is... Beliefs that can't always be practiced. The disappointment in most of the characters is believable. Matt Damon's narration is really compelling.
½ March 20, 2016
It is a story about a young lawyer with integrity. He helps several individuals in his legal pursuits by exposing the truth behind all the blatant deception.
½ January 7, 2016
First-time lawyer working the big insurance company case. My Cousin Vinny meets Runaway Jury. I like both Matt Damon and Danny DeVito in this movie, but it just felt... incompetent. Not those two, but Jon Voight and his team were the most over-the-top, moustache-twirling evil lawyers I can think of. It felt like a tv movie, and I'm surprised it wasn't.
½ December 21, 2015
I've watched it basically 20 years too late. But I enjoyed every minute of it. Nice piece of lawyer movie
December 12, 2015
An intelligent, thoughtful and affectionate film about a talented aspiring lawyer who fights for justice, tries his hardest not to stray from his morals and gradually grows disenchanted with his profession.
November 17, 2015
Actually the insurance case plot line is already more than enough supporting the whole feature. Now Claire Danes' line sounds excessive & divergent instead.
October 22, 2015
A solidly made adaptation of a John Grisham novel about a rookie lawyer who takes on an insurance company that is refusing to pay for a bone marrow transplant needed by a young leukaemia sufferer. Matt Damon plays the role of the lawyer Rudy with his slightly dodgy side-kick Deck being portrayed by the wonderful Danny DeVito. Francis Ford Coppola manages to give the story plenty of poignancy and, being a Grisham story, there's a fair amount of tense, court-room drama. The mood is lifted by DeVito and a small but significant performance by Mickey Rourke. He plays the head of a disreputable law firm that provides Rudy with his first job in the legal world. This is a great, character driven movie with enough time spent out of the courtroom so that the trial scenes don't become dull. I've not read the novel but it feels very true to Grisham's style, aided by a good script and some memorable performances from all the players involved in this solid, enjoyable movie.
½ October 21, 2015
Very good film but also a bit on the long side and for all it's a bit heavy for me to understand I was able to follow it quite well and mostly understood what was happening.
September 21, 2015
The film lacks an epic feel and the courtroom drama feels a little bit lacking in importance, despite the title. Heavy hitters Danny De Vito and John Voight are good but used too little, and Matt Damon and Claire Danes are both good, but still very early in their career and lack the screen presence needed to lift the film from good to great. Micky Rourke puts in a good performance in a small, flashy role.
½ August 29, 2015
A very true to life insurance litigation movie. As a person who has worked in the insurance industry my entire career, this is not too far fetched.

Matt Damon does a great job so young in his career.
½ July 10, 2015
A little contrived, but the "feel-good" intent is worth it. Besides, bureaucracy gets what they love, overall, in the end... #SadTruth >:-(
June 20, 2015
legal drama thats as good as good will hunting
½ June 13, 2015
A very good law drama indeed!! One of the best of Matt Damon's!
½ April 2, 2015
A surprisingly entertaining and compelling courtroom drama that finds its real strength outside the court. The Rainmaker is amongst the best of the Grisham movies. It's an intelligent film that doesn't cater to the usual eye-candy we face.
½ March 28, 2015
3/28/2015: A very good legal drama with an amazing cast.