The Rainmaker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rainmaker Reviews

½ July 8, 2017
Solid flim. Great performance from Matt Damon! Solid plot with an excellent supporting cast as well.
June 27, 2017
A decent legal film that bolsters some nifty performances from Damon and Voight. Worth a one time see but there are better court room thrillers out there
½ June 22, 2017
Though there are flaws (narratively somewhat predictable, not entirely original) it overcomes those flaws thanks to a fantastic cast who all act brilliantly, terrific plot and script, solid score, it is well filmed and directed while also being wholly satisfying. Easily one of the best legal drama films out there especially from a decade that had plenty of them on offer.
½ May 4, 2017
A good legal thriller with Matt Damon as a young lawyer fighting for and as the underdog. (First full viewing - 4/26/2011)
March 17, 2017
Not bad, but kind of shows its age.
½ February 23, 2017
This is by far the best legal drama I have ever seen. Cast is excellent, acting is superb, and the story is captivating. Based on the novel by John Grisham and directed by 'The Godfather' himself, Francis Ford Coppola.
½ February 23, 2017
September 19, 2016
The Rainmaker is a heart-welming tale portrayed by a talented cast.
Nothing extraordinary, but a good example of how originality is not required to make a movie an enjoyable and romantic experience.
½ August 29, 2016
Matt Damon is Rudy Baylor in the film based on John Grisham's novel the Rainmaker. Rudy new and naive and is attached to his clients. He takes on a large case dealing with fraudulent insurance claims. Despite just passing the bar he has one of the largest cases worth millions of dollars. His co-counsel (Danny Devito) has failed the bar several times, and its a case of the little guys vs. the big corporation. To make matters worse he has fallen for a girl (Claire Danes) who is being abused constantly and fears for her safety. The Rainmaker is the ultimate underdog tale. The fresh new kid off the block taking on the big time lawyers (Jon Voight). Coppola keeps the film rolling and its an all around decent film.
August 26, 2016
The Rainmaker is a heart-welming tale portrayed by a talented cast.
Nothing extraordinary, but still an enjoyable movie.
½ May 2, 2016
4/21/16 I found this a bit average. The film is pretty old now, so maybe i just felt like I had seen this already before (since they have done a lot of Grisham adaptations). It just doesn't have the punch that I was hoping for.
April 23, 2016
Another top-notch Francis Ford Coppola film with his strong direction making this adaptation of a John Grisham novel one of the better films. More importantly, the legal team of Matt Damon and Danny DeVito against Jon Voight in the courtroom makes it a highly entertaining and gripping legal drama.
April 21, 2016
Loved this movie. Shows that idealism is just what it is... Beliefs that can't always be practiced. The disappointment in most of the characters is believable. Matt Damon's narration is really compelling.
½ March 20, 2016
It is a story about a young lawyer with integrity. He helps several individuals in his legal pursuits by exposing the truth behind all the blatant deception.
½ January 7, 2016
First-time lawyer working the big insurance company case. My Cousin Vinny meets Runaway Jury. I like both Matt Damon and Danny DeVito in this movie, but it just felt... incompetent. Not those two, but Jon Voight and his team were the most over-the-top, moustache-twirling evil lawyers I can think of. It felt like a tv movie, and I'm surprised it wasn't.
½ December 21, 2015
I've watched it basically 20 years too late. But I enjoyed every minute of it. Nice piece of lawyer movie
December 12, 2015
An intelligent, thoughtful and affectionate film about a talented aspiring lawyer who fights for justice, tries his hardest not to stray from his morals and gradually grows disenchanted with his profession.
November 17, 2015
Actually the insurance case plot line is already more than enough supporting the whole feature. Now Claire Danes' line sounds excessive & divergent instead.
October 22, 2015
A solidly made adaptation of a John Grisham novel about a rookie lawyer who takes on an insurance company that is refusing to pay for a bone marrow transplant needed by a young leukaemia sufferer. Matt Damon plays the role of the lawyer Rudy with his slightly dodgy side-kick Deck being portrayed by the wonderful Danny DeVito. Francis Ford Coppola manages to give the story plenty of poignancy and, being a Grisham story, there's a fair amount of tense, court-room drama. The mood is lifted by DeVito and a small but significant performance by Mickey Rourke. He plays the head of a disreputable law firm that provides Rudy with his first job in the legal world. This is a great, character driven movie with enough time spent out of the courtroom so that the trial scenes don't become dull. I've not read the novel but it feels very true to Grisham's style, aided by a good script and some memorable performances from all the players involved in this solid, enjoyable movie.
½ October 21, 2015
Very good film but also a bit on the long side and for all it's a bit heavy for me to understand I was able to follow it quite well and mostly understood what was happening.