Les Miserables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Les Miserables Reviews

½ June 19, 2017
This 1998 adaptation of Victor Hugo's beautiful novel has some details that do not fit. There are many huge differences from the novel like Eponine's absence, the ending of the book, Valjean's death and Marius' background and even though it is not as great as the 2012 musical adaptation, Liam Neeson delivers a good performance.
February 13, 2017
Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush, Uma Thurman and Claire Danes headline this late 90's adaptation of Victor Hugo's novel from Billie August. It's a fine, if unremarkable adaptation. Rush is the standout here. Neeson is fine. Thurman is ... not great. Danes gets to cry a lot, and "My So Called Life" gave her a lot of practice at that. The best part by far of this version is that Russell Crowe does not show up and sing.
½ December 5, 2016
I liked the Broadway play a lot better. At some points it seemed to be slow and also unconvincing with how some characters acted. The characters were either evil or perfectly good. It did hold up decent suspense tho and had a good message at its core. Some great lines like God gives u love to have something worth fighting for.
August 19, 2016
It was a little weird watching this since I've seen the musical so many times. But still pretty good!
June 2, 2016
Finally! An epic that opens good sense of prospective power!
½ August 29, 2015
A profound adaptation for the musical lovers who want to know more about the background and roots. Geoffrey Rush is excellently cast as Javert.
July 30, 2015
While not as brilliant as the 2012 musical masterpiece, this retelling of Victor Hugo's classic novel is moving and entertaining, but offers an unexpected ending which ruined a great part of the film
½ June 21, 2015
One of my favourite and most treasured DVD's!
May 5, 2015
Did this movie have to be remade?
½ April 5, 2015
Unlike the long-running play production and 2012 movie re-adaptation which tries to blend light-hearted moments in a serious setting, this movie is just serious. It tells a story of a fight to live your life and provide for those you love without being constantly haunted and treated unfairly because of your past. I prefer it to any of the other adaptations and Liam Neeson will always be Jean Valjean for me. The love-story between Cosette and Marius also feels much more believable here. They get the 4 1/2 stars simply because the Thenardiers daughter Eponine, one of my favourite characters, was left out. The unrequited love she felt for Marius and her whole life felt much more suitable for the period and I was disappointed that she wasn't in this version.
January 12, 2015
No way this does it justice.
January 12, 2015
No way this does it justice.
December 23, 2014
A beautiful expression of mercy, compassion and forgiveness in the midst of tragedy and great evil. Phenomenally acted and wonderfully filmed, one of the greatest cinematic triumphs in adapting a piece of literature. The casting for this picture is phenomenal, Neeson and Rush seem born for their parts, and the supporting cast is excellent as well. The script condenses the literary masterpiece masterfully, crafting an emotionally potent and morally rich storyline that will leave only the most unfeeling of audiences unmoved. Cinematography is excellent, and the musical score is exquisite. This film deserves to be better known for its noble heart, impassioned performances and emotional heft.
Addendum: my appreciation for this film only grows upon each subsequent rewatch. I particularly enjoy how the political and cultural subtexts are simply a setting, the story shunning delving too deeply into the cultural context. What matters here are the individual people, their hearts and souls. In the grand scheme of this story, the swirling political tensions are unimportant at best, and one could read the portrayal of the revolutionaries, so often glorified in other screen portrayals, as downright cynical. A daring move that I think pays off dividends, keeping the focus solely on the core individuals of the story (as well as making an interesting philosophical statement).
October 25, 2014
Thanks to a superb cast and great direction, Les Miserables is a fantastic and powerful film that is unforgettable and emotional.
May 30, 2014
a lot better than the new les miserables liam nesson was perfect for the role also geoffrey rush also was very good i liked the movie very mush even i didnot feel the time when watching it so 10
May 1, 2014
Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush are sensational adversaries in the terrific adaptation of Victor Hugo's classic. I much preferred this to the more recent operatic version starring Russell Crowe. Neesom was born for the big screen.
April 26, 2014
Interesting, but MUCH slower than the musical version. VERY good acting -- Geoffrey Rush is deliciously nasty as Javert and Liam Neeson is amazing.
This is not my favorite version and I do not feel pulled to watch it again, but it was ok. The first half was excellent, the last part goes downhill. Still, a good movie that I am glad that I watched.
April 25, 2014
I liked this better than the latest version
April 7, 2014
Bad movie. Wastes its talented cast.