Elizabeth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elizabeth Reviews

December 1, 2016
A handsome period drama that looks stunning but feels more like reading a History book, with a plain screenplay that doesn't offer many surprises and a cold, didactic direction by Shekhar Kapur that doesn't leave us engaged in the way that it actually should.
November 13, 2016
The script is twisting the historical facts. The characters don't match up with the reality. Additionally, while I was watching, the atmosphere didn't pull me to those days. I recommend everybody to read the history well before watching such nonsense..
October 6, 2016
"Elizabeth" is a surprisingly good historical drama that benefits primarily from its central performance and fascinating look into 16th century politics.
September 28, 2016
The movie felt raw. And to think there was so much violence at that time. Rober Dudley was almost obnoxious. The scenes were very graphic, with the beheadings and burnings. Cate Blanchett was mesmerizing
September 19, 2016
Elizabeth felt like it should have been a slam dunk for me to enjoy. I watched it only a day after watching Anne of the Thousand Days which I liked, so the context was set up and I was hungry to see the next chapter of the story. However, this film was a big disappointment. The acting felt totally unnatural, as though everyone was on a stage trying to project a character instead of becoming them, with a few notable exceptions. However, the bigger misstep was really the script. This movie did not hold together story-wise. It jumped all over the place, didn't pay off well on the setups, and left me constantly wanting something better. There were scenes where Cate Blanchett would seem to be transforming into this wise and powerful queen, but then the story would undermine her and she would once again end up looking around at everyone with confusion or frustration. Geoffrey Rush had a lot of promise as an assassin, but he never really gets to have a big moment of cunning or betrayal (in essence he becomes a strange adviser to Elizabeth.) Richard Attenborough and Daniel Craig felt wasted, Christopher Eccleston talked big but didn't deliver on anything, and I don't particularly like Joseph Fiennes in the first place. They just needed to refine the story and make it flow more sensibly. They spent too much time focused on the romance. Sadly, this meant the really fascinating stuff about political intrigue, conspired murders, and planned marriages took a back seat. I would not recommend Elizabeth, because it looks grand but can't deliver a grand story.
½ July 13, 2016
From its lavished settings to its powerful performances and themes, everything about this biopic is astounding.
July 12, 2016
Cate Blanchett deserved to win the Best Actress Award for her amazing performance of Queen Elizabeth I. The film itself is lush and dramatic with a great cast and a fine eye for historic detail.
April 25, 2016
"Elizabeth" is a suspenseful, informative, and thoroughly entertaining biopic featuring strong performances and direction, even if it's not always technically proficient.
April 22, 2016
Anyone who is looking for an historically accurate representation of the early years of Elizabeth 1's reign had best pass this one by. As far as this type of drama is concerned it has some superficial charm in respect to location, costumes and casting but the hideous distortions of fact are so blatant and so pervasive that the film becomes almost satirical. William Cecil cast as an ancient white-bearded dotard for example - Cecil was actually a mere 38 years old during the period portrayed. Why Hollywood feels obliged to revise history so often (shades of 'Braveheart' and 'The Patriot') is a mystery. Usually the real history is far more dramatic than anything the Hollywood hacks can dream up. Probably the only character who was reasonably treated in this particular film was Geoffrey Rush's Walsingham.
April 11, 2016
Elizabeth is an inherently flawed movie due to a lack of focus in its narrative and way too many subplots, but it also benefits from some strong character development of the main character with Cate Blanchett being superb in the role. It is also fine to look at, it has such a good ending and it is a great look at the queen with the emphasis on her personal life being excellent. It is problematic at times, but mostly an engaging and satisfying period flick.
½ April 6, 2016
Cate Blanchette did fantastic in this movie and it was really well done. Can't wait to see the next part!
March 22, 2016
Many people don't seem to realize that cate blanchett has been around for some time. I was surprised to learn her fame really took off in the 90's as I always thought Lord of the Rings was when she became big. In this fine performance as Elizabeth I she displays remarkable talent and really captures this complex women.
Elizabeth focuses on the early days of the queens reign. It looks at the members of her council which included Francis Walsinham, William Cecil and Baron Burghley and their attempts to marry her off to someone, her secret love affair with Robert Dudley, the catholics hate of her and the state of England which lead to her becoming the virgin queen.
So this film was really intriguing. Very well scored and very well written too. Fantastic Script, I was actually surprised at how I dug the story. Really solid writing from the screenwriters. I liked the directorial shots gave a magical and alluring vibe. This film is nice blend of royality and the church and we don't often see films of this kind that deal with monarach's. Great directing overall by shekar kapur. he really takes inside this world of british politics and royal features.
Cate Blanchett is extraordinary here. Elizabeth really grows into a wiery, unwavering queen who really puts her country before her. Blanchett displays an original elegenace and grace that we would later see in other roles such as Galadriel. Elizabeth had so much diversity to deal with but surprisingly she is calm about it all like she knew she could be the queen the country deserved. Joseph Fiennes was busy this year and here he plays another interesting character. A lover of Elizabeth who plays the part of exposing the naivity of Elizabeth though a chunk of the film. Geoffery rush should have also been nominated for this role as well but I know they had tough time deciding between the two here
Overall this film is a must watch for anyone who is a fan of cate blanchett like I am.
March 10, 2016
Blanchett is exceptional - as are Rush, Fiennes and Eccleston - in a terribly directed film.
February 13, 2016
The defining movie on young Elizabeth, perfection achieved through Kate Blanchett.
August 23, 2015
Quick summary:
- fat old queen think she's pregnant
- husband leaves her
- turns out it's a Tumor
- she try's to get queen Lizy killed
- old queen dies
-some dwaf chick cries
- cate becomes queen
-people are still trying to kill her
- she nearly marries some cross dressing Spanish bloke,
- heaps of people get murded
- some guy fucks this random chick
- the baddie from norfolk gets beheaded
- cate gets the worst hair cut ever
- says she's now a virgin
- and is married to England (not sure how that works)
June 13, 2015
It's about 5% less impressive than I remember, but Blanchett is still so fiery.
May 14, 2015
Blanchett dwarfs this picture,which in it of itself is quite good....one of the best (if not the best)performances of the year.
½ May 9, 2015
Excellent dramatisation of the early years of Elizabeth's reign. Brilliantly cast and acted with particular praise to Kate Blanchett.
½ April 2, 2015
Decent, fairly entertaining historical drama. However, it was probably a mistake to watch this after the fantastic AMADEUS.
February 17, 2015