Lolita - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lolita Reviews

½ November 20, 2016
The movie is pretty solid and faithful to the original source. Performances are predictably strong, especially Jeremy Irons'. Yet it's still a hull of the novel, all the emotions are unseen to the viewers whereas in the novel the readers are fully let into the mind of Humbert Humbert.
October 16, 2016
I have no opinion about this movie, but it's kinda different.
½ April 10, 2016
Emotional roller-coaster ride that has you uncomfortably twisting in your seat. Irons Oscar-worthy performance pulls you in to the story and never lets go. Swain impresses as-well, although her performance is a tiny bit uneven. A film that is well put together - Definitely worth a watch.
February 18, 2016
Good film, more loyal to the Nabokov novel than Kubrick's 1962 version. Good acting. This Clare Quilty character is much better than the Peter Sellers version in 1962, where the focus was too much on him.

More risque than the 1962 version, obviously because times have changed and the modern audience is more desensitized. A highly taboo subject, this film was a box office bomb because of this. It is unfortunate, because it is a well acted film and more realistic than Kubrick's version.
½ January 29, 2016
Well apparently no one involved in this film read the book. Honestly, even if it was true to the book I don't think it's a movie that should be made (maybe with extensive caution and sensitivity to the unreliability of the narrator, but I still doubt it.) There is no excuse for this film to exist in any way that it does and everyone involved should be deeply ashamed of themselves.
½ October 26, 2015
Jeremy Irons é espetacular, mas falta muito para o filme se aproximar do livro...o Humor negro de Humbert Humbert é inexistente nesse filme que foi transformado em um romance.
January 3, 2015
I liked this version of Lolita better. I know... a lot of people will hate me for this, but there's something in this that stood out to me. In this version, there was really some romantic tension going on between Dolores and Humbert before ***SPOILERS*** Dolores went away for camp. The acting here is very convincing, I personally think that Dominique Swain did a better Lolita than Sue Lyon.
July 24, 2014
"Lolita" is a boring, pretentious, and exhausting picture from the overrated Adrian Lyne.
½ July 19, 2014
Je savais pas que c'était une version moderne du Lolita de Nabokov quand j'ai vu ce film mais putain que ça m'avait choqué !!!! Classique de la littérature russe ou pas !!!
July 17, 2014
wow....ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that jeremy irons, melanie griffith, frank langella, dominique swain, suzanne shepherd, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/romance movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENS AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie........i think that jeremy irons was absolutley brilliant throughout this movie........i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.......its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......its got good car chases throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.....it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ July 12, 2014
this is a well made, beautifully shot and acted film. it's well put together. I just wish I didn't loathe each and every character so much.
July 5, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
May 31, 2014
an absolutely fantastic film with great acting that truly makes you think about what love is and isn't and questions what you think about the topics displayed in the film, having watched both the original and this one i have to say (even though i love kubrick) i prefer this one simply because of how much it makes you feel for both lead characters and leaves you thinking about the film for hours even afterwards
½ March 6, 2014
a great movie, which is also jaw droppingly disturbing, and weirdly poetic.
½ February 15, 2014
Old lolita vs new lolita

In the old they don't give him motivation for liking the child
In the old their sexual relationships is not explicit enough, really goes against the point
In the new one she looks younger, her crying/pain is more real and is shown for extended periods of time
In the new one their fight is not about screaming, looking good in front of the neighbors, etc, but about a clash of wills. It's calm, calculated, and really shows the cards each of them holds. By the time the outburst scene appears, you can really feel and understand the pent up rage, confusion and pain Lo has been harboring, and the actors both do it justice.
In the new one I feel Humbart has much more responsibility for what happens. In the old one he seemed like the victim.
The new one doesn't have inspector clusau, in all his forms and glory. Tough he is very talented and entertaining, I don't feel he has a place in this story. The lack of him actually serves to amplify the surprise by the end. In addition, I didn't like that the old one began at the end.
The old one focused more on Lo's mom, and she was a much better actress there (very annoying). It also came to show how much Humbart didn't care for 'regular' sex.
In the new one the two actually discuss what they are doing, giving us at least a glimpse into the dynamics of the relationship. They know full well what they're into (at one point she says the word 'incest'), but they like it.
The fact that by the end her growing distant translates to selling her affections for money is much more interesting, mature (on her part) and realistic.
The new one is much better at showing how manipulative Lo can be and what a good liar she is. The fact that cool, collected Humbart has come to hit her a couple of times also shows the strain on him, and I love that she reacts like a child to it.
In the new one, the final sex scene is the culmination of her sexual power over him.

Overall, the change of times allowed for more explicit writing, the actors felt more grounded to life, which gave it additional gravitas, and the story-telling for the most part got better, probably because the second attempt learned from the first. It is also more poetic.
February 12, 2014
Like most re-makes this is watchable but basically pointless and a little bit dull. It has no real controversy because Lolita is clearly being played by a girl in her twenties (and man is she annoying), it has no story because if it's fundamental failure to integrate the character of Quilty and in Irons it has an ITV drama leading man not a cinematic lead.
January 27, 2014
Great movie, I would have liked it better if it deviated from the book less.
½ December 24, 2013
You have to live under a rock not to know who Lolita is, but still I was pleasantly surprised how well the story was conveyed. The acting and directing are absolutely top-notch. The visuals are quite amazing as well, with meticulously designed sets recreating authentic 40's America. Regardless of whether or not you like the characters, it's a gripping and captivating watch.
½ December 13, 2013
It's remarkable just how provocative this story remains. Nabokov's novel remains a classic cautionary tale and Lyne's film does it justice. Both actors are 100% committed and the film has plenty of dangerous eroticism. The imagery and score capture this tragic romanticism and overall the film is very well made. Kubrick's adaptation is more quirky and a little twisted (I miss Peter Sellers) but I suppose Lyne's is truer to the book. The final voice-over captures the profound nature of the book. Humbert's realization of stealing away Lolita's childhood is poignantly and tragically captured. Bravo to Lyne for being bold and not being afraid to film the sexual excitement and sad horror of such a tale.