Lolita - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lolita Reviews

June 22, 2017
Melanie Griffith performed her role well, but was too old for the role. Lolita is supposed to be more child-like. The Lolita in this version is mentally and physically mature, and is a calculating and manipulating character, who appears sexually experienced. Jeremy Irons is fantastic.
May 15, 2017
No holds bared and it says how despicable a man could be with insurmountable clarity and sense. ! Wonder how this classic was evened by any awards and that ought to be the epitome of hypocrisy by so called critics.
March 29, 2017
disturbingly well made movie.
brilliant acting with that unique boldness.
March 4, 2017
I saw this movie as a teenager & was disturbed by it- while at the same time strangely (with guilt) turned on. It's a great movie.
½ January 16, 2017
I had read Nabokov's Lolita years ago but I had never seen any of the films that are based on this classic. Lolita was very solid overall. The Lolita character is great, though more extroverted and daring than the one in the novel. The Humbert character was also very well played...you can really understand his conflicting feelings, though true feelings for Dolores Haze. The story unfolds at a very nice pace and the movie never felt boring or long. That's all I'll say because I don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it.
I am struggling with how to rate this movie, it's definitely a 7/10 but it could also be an 8/10. I think the best way to rate this is to also watch the other Lolita film and see if this one still deserves that 8/10. For now, I will rate it 3.5/5 OR 7/10. Very solid film from start to finish. I would recommend reading the novel first if you get a chance.
½ November 20, 2016
The movie is pretty solid and faithful to the original source. Performances are predictably strong, especially Jeremy Irons'. Yet it's still a hull of the novel, all the emotions are unseen to the viewers whereas in the novel the readers are fully let into the mind of Humbert Humbert.
October 16, 2016
I have no opinion about this movie, but it's kinda different.
½ April 10, 2016
Emotional roller-coaster ride that has you uncomfortably twisting in your seat. Irons Oscar-worthy performance pulls you in to the story and never lets go. Swain impresses as-well, although her performance is a tiny bit uneven. A film that is well put together - Definitely worth a watch.
February 18, 2016
Good film, more loyal to the Nabokov novel than Kubrick's 1962 version. Good acting. This Clare Quilty character is much better than the Peter Sellers version in 1962, where the focus was too much on him.

More risque than the 1962 version, obviously because times have changed and the modern audience is more desensitized. A highly taboo subject, this film was a box office bomb because of this. It is unfortunate, because it is a well acted film and more realistic than Kubrick's version.
½ January 29, 2016
Well apparently no one involved in this film read the book. Honestly, even if it was true to the book I don't think it's a movie that should be made (maybe with extensive caution and sensitivity to the unreliability of the narrator, but I still doubt it.) There is no excuse for this film to exist in any way that it does and everyone involved should be deeply ashamed of themselves.
½ October 26, 2015
Jeremy Irons é espetacular, mas falta muito para o filme se aproximar do livro...o Humor negro de Humbert Humbert é inexistente nesse filme que foi transformado em um romance.
January 3, 2015
I liked this version of Lolita better. I know... a lot of people will hate me for this, but there's something in this that stood out to me. In this version, there was really some romantic tension going on between Dolores and Humbert before ***SPOILERS*** Dolores went away for camp. The acting here is very convincing, I personally think that Dominique Swain did a better Lolita than Sue Lyon.
July 24, 2014
"Lolita" is a boring, pretentious, and exhausting picture from the overrated Adrian Lyne.
½ July 19, 2014
Je savais pas que c'était une version moderne du Lolita de Nabokov quand j'ai vu ce film mais putain que ça m'avait choqué !!!! Classique de la littérature russe ou pas !!!
July 17, 2014
wow....ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that jeremy irons, melanie griffith, frank langella, dominique swain, suzanne shepherd, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/romance movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENS AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie........i think that jeremy irons was absolutley brilliant throughout this movie........i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.......its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......its got good car chases throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.....it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ July 12, 2014
this is a well made, beautifully shot and acted film. it's well put together. I just wish I didn't loathe each and every character so much.
July 5, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
May 31, 2014
an absolutely fantastic film with great acting that truly makes you think about what love is and isn't and questions what you think about the topics displayed in the film, having watched both the original and this one i have to say (even though i love kubrick) i prefer this one simply because of how much it makes you feel for both lead characters and leaves you thinking about the film for hours even afterwards