Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Life Reviews

½ June 11, 2017
The film is difficult to hone in as a comedy or drama. Despite its obvious flaws Life still is tightly held by the dynamic performances and chemistry of Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence. 3.5/5
April 1, 2017
Man, I just love this movie. One of my favorite movies of all time. Can't believe it's sitting at 50%, just shocks me. It is a great storyline, cast, plot....its a great film.
February 27, 2017
Very underrated. Life is full of gut-busting laughs & compassionate bonds. Definitely not for everybody but doesn't mean it's bad. Eddie & Martin were a great duo. Close to Jackie & Chris!
½ February 5, 2017
Instant classic. Great duo. Very hilarious.
Clintus M.
½ January 12, 2017
If you go to the movies to be entertained, it doesn't get much better than this. It certainly is no serious take on a subject that would be all-too serious elsewhere, but the double entendre of the title belies the reason, besides all the talent present, why this film works so well. While on the surface, Claude and Ray are sentenced to life in prison for a crime they didn't commit, the real story here is about life-the ups and downs, the choices you make, and the friends you sometimes can't stand but ultimately depend upon along the way.

Both Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence became known for, along with being very funny, the characters they create. Murphy with the Nutty Professor characters, demonstrates serious acting ability while creating laughs. They don't do that so much here, but these guys age from mid-20s to 90s convincingly. Their love-hate "old married couple" bickering will leave you in stitches.

The rest of the cast is as underappreciated as this movie is in general. They're hilarious and memorable. I've been repeating Bernie Mac's lines and the "cornbread" scene for years. Casting R. Lee Ermey as the racist bad guy was genius too.

Watch this movie please, and if you've seen it watch it again. I was prompted to write this review having just seen it uncut for the first time. While the edited version delivers the plot well enough, you'll laugh along with the theatrical version much more. They're "keepin it real!"
September 5, 2016
Very underrated movie.
July 26, 2016
Has some laughs and a good story.
½ July 6, 2016
An unusual mix of genre. But as for me and my family, we Knew what to expect from Murphy and Lawrence. And we still got more than we expected. For those who expected anything different... I guess comedy isn't their thing.
April 11, 2016
One of the funniest original movies, and underated comedy movies. All the way through you'll enjoy. Murphy and Lawerence were made for this part. Personal top 20 all time favorite
March 27, 2016
Michelle Alexander's book "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness" provides plenty of scholarly resources demonstrating how the system of bad cops, lawyers, judges and prison officials have a racket going on ruining the lives of millions of prisoners, too many of whom really don't belong there. This movie does have some poignant scenes, some laughs , and generally tries to lighten the weight of the subject matter with some schtick. But make no mistake - it is making a firm statement that should not be missed by those who were just looking for a few laughs.
½ January 10, 2016
Typical, if better-than-average, buddy movie about a pair of would-be bootleggers framed for murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. The stars carry the proceedings with some nonstop bickering, but occasionally one of the supporting cast members gets an all-too-brief moment to shine.
November 27, 2015
Another of my top 10 comedies of all times.
½ October 27, 2015
Murphy and Lawrence as two wrongfully convicted prisoners who must spend life behind bars. it's funny but also bittersweet.
September 22, 2015
In my opinion Life is a brilliant comedy with heart and also has many hilarious moments I don't understand the mixed critical reception I thought it was awesome.ÔŽ
½ September 21, 2015
The humor might make people forget the message of the movie but Eddie and Martin are gut-busting actors!
September 19, 2015
The is a classic rip to all the actors who have left us with this classic hilarious movie
May 24, 2015
The co stars really steal this movie although Murphy and Lawrence are not without their charms too.
March 23, 2015
Be warned that this is a drama and not a very good one either, but it is entertaining enough to watch.
½ March 8, 2015
Not an Eddie Murphy best, but worth a watch.
September 11, 2014
This movie is so underrated. Eddie Murphy & Martin Lawrence did a terrific job.