Go - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Go Reviews

October 4, 2016
Marginally interesting at times, great performances, but the writer and director are out of their element. Doug Liman's direction is good enough that if we didn't have John August, the guy who goes on to write two more bad comedies and then a bunch of weird creepy and dark movies, this could have maybe been at least fresh.
September 25, 2016
Made couple of years after the British were churning out loads of films like this, this is an interwoven series of stories about various youths sharing one night of trouble with drugs. It's an entertaining little film but not very original. Such stories do have a certain appeal though.
September 17, 2016
Every single person to whom I have recommended this movie has said, "Dude! That movie rocked! It was thrilling, way hip, fast-paced and made me want to be young, do drugs without consequences and engage in crazy, risky behavior! And the music was incredible!" Seriously, watch this movie. From 1999. It's called Go and you will thank me. And yeah, it's for grownups, not for kids. Go. And you can stream it on Amazon.
½ May 3, 2016
Another great non-Christmas Christmas movie, worthy of placement alongside the first two Die Hards and the entire Shane Black canon. It's one of those '90s post-Pulp Fiction 'interweaving stories' things, but is one of the better examples, a bit grim in parts, but hilarious throughout. Some great performances among the ensemble, particularly from Polley, Olyphant, Askew and Fichtner. Sometimes when I see a Mazda MX-5, I still call out, 'It's a Miata!' I'm usually alone when this happens.
February 12, 2016
Two words: Timothy Olyphant.
February 7, 2016
one of film maker Doug Liman's best efforts i really liked this one alot
August 9, 2015
It somewhat reminds me of "Clerks," but Kevin Smith's hit comedy is a lot smarter and memorable, and "Go" only makes me lose more and more interest as it progresses.
June 12, 2015
They just don't make movies like they used to. Never given a movie 5 stars, so this means a lot. Such a crazy good movie. If you haven't watched it, watch it now.
April 30, 2015
Held up high from its energy and performances.
½ April 29, 2015
In my mind, films from the 1990's almost have their own genre as to what material is explored throughout. Like today's day and age, the 90's had it's own feel. We have a lot of big blockbuster superhero films, and the 90's had a tons of teenage hangout pictures. "GO" puts a spin on that story and has a very Pulp Fiction-esque type of vibe as far as storytelling goes. For many more reasons than one, this is a much easier film to watch than "Pulp Ficton," as the fun element is cranked up to a million. Telling the same story over and over again through different perspectives can be a disaster waiting to happen, and while not every piece of the puzzle fit for me, they did about 90% of the time. "GO" is a very smart film that you do not need to think about very much, and those are two things that I think makes a film brilliant. "GO" is one of the rare films that has definite repeat value for me. Such a lovable little film. Highly recommended!
April 12, 2015
Another fun 90's adventure!
March 22, 2015
Fun & fast paced with a lot of names. I enjoyed this as much as I did 15yrs ago.
½ February 3, 2015
I'm still not quite sure what the the distinguishing characteristics of the 90s are, but this film seems very 1990s ( in a good way). There are raves, ecstacy, 20-somethings (which I was at the time), and loads of hip 90s music. During the 90s spate of Tarantino wannabe films, this is probably the only one that really worked and was also the only one that tried to do something kind of original. The film is only superficially a "Pulp Fiction" knock off in that it has separate crime related stores that converge, but besides a bit of drug dealing, it's not really in the "True Romance" or "Reservoir Dogs" universe. It's more a universe of hip 20 somethings looking to party and getting into trouble. The overlapping stories begin with Sarah Polley wanting to make her rent by selling some ecstasy, only to realize she's selling to a cop. After flushing the ecstasy to avoid being arrested, she's then in debt to the dealer she bought them form, played by Timothy Olyphant who easily steals the film. To reveal much more of the plot would spoil the fun, but I will say that a never cooler Katie Holmes plays Polley's buddy and Nathan Bexton plays her other buddy (who's quite good, t hough I can't say I remember really seeing him in much before or since. Taye Diggs, Breckin Meyer and Desmond Askew have a wild adventure in Vegas, eventually running afoul J. E. Freeman. There's a third story involving actors played by Jay Mohr and Scott Wolf in debt to weirdo William Fichtner (who's wife is played by Jane Krakowski). Melissa McCarthy even has her film debut in a very funny once scene bit. The film was crisply directed by Doug Liman right after his breakout film "Swingers" and right before he'd become a major Hollywood player with the Bourne films. The films real behind the scenes star though has to be John August who's made a wonderfully fast paced and fun script that is clever, funny and pleasantly unpredictable. Top it all off with a nice soundtrack by BT and you have what I consider something of a minor classic. I don't hear this film talked about much, but I do think it's a film that deserves to be remembered and revised.
½ January 7, 2015
A film that excites on every level, characters, structure, action, and overall story.
December 25, 2014
12/19/2014: A fun and interesting movie. Not exceptional by any means, but decent. A great cast as well.
December 16, 2014
It's intonation drives at a larger point, and while it remains uncertain what that point is, the frenetic tempo, nuanced drama, and passionate character individuality require a thoughtful and enjoyable viewing experience.
December 7, 2014
Son of Pulp Fiction.
December 6, 2014
just fucking go c it, its fucking awsum
November 22, 2014
This fun inventive film based on the Pulp Fiction type format offers fun levels of excitement, and wild scenarios that make you say "what just happened. " The actors did a nice job in their roles and offered fun predictaments. It's a good thrill ride with fun dialogue and crazy circumstances.
½ October 13, 2014
Hang in there for the 2nd and 3rd stories. The first one is a little meandering, but the 2nd one is really funny and the third one is a fun cap to the movie. You just have to get through the first bit.