Payback - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Payback Reviews

jamrcla
October 20, 2017
A very average action thriller that lacks in the action department and brings nothing new to the table, Gibson plays only one of two characters he can play but plays it well, Very predictable and with the slow pace it never really catches fire and that's where this film fails most.
September 15, 2017
Maybe it was the studio reshoots that finally did the movie in, it's hard to say-but the opening scene certainly seems to take on a different character when you imagine it as an allegory for the Helgeland losing control of the final cut, his (at times clever) neo-noir betrayed by his partners desire for more money. Probably the best thing left in this otherwise DOA affair, then, is the not-so-subtle satire of Gibson's earlier work, the knock-off dirty cops from a bizarro "Lethal Weapon"-but aside from that wink to the audience, the movie does little to stop you from catching a 39 more winks in the middle of it.
September 8, 2017
Not predictable...A great action flick.
August 9, 2017
I'm not sure I'm the only who didn't like this movie, I thought it was to slow and boring and a cliched plot and I feel like this film was trying to be Tarantino
June 21, 2017
No more Mr Nice Guy :)
½ June 10, 2017
6/9/2017 (3): I really enjoyed this movie. The story and cast were very good. The "Straight Up" edition is garbage though!
March 13, 2017
This movie is the John Wick of the late 90's... nuff said.
½ January 18, 2017
First of all, "Payback" features Mel Gibson when he still was an action hero, the always wonderful Maria Bello, Lucy Liu as a sadomasochistic hooker and one of the final appearances of James fuckin' Coburn. Secondly, and most importantly, it's fast-paced, has some iconic scenes and will keep your blood pumping throughout; Brian Helgeland, like Porter, is not messing around. Also, to the writers' credit, the few more intimate scenes, such as Porter and Rosie at the diner, feel completely natural.
December 9, 2016
The Hunter, best representation of Parker that has ever been or ever will be. As I read the 28+ novels by Stark, i.e. Westlake, I always envision Gibson as Parker - Stratham and Marvin don't come close.
November 12, 2016
A movie that reminds us that Mel Gibson has indeed done a film as violent as a marvel movie, complete with characters that no one really cares about.
November 5, 2016
A kick-ass, wildly entertaining film. See it.
September 6, 2016
The best adaption of a Parker novel so far (although he is called "Porter" here) and a great Neo-Noir. This is one of Gibson's best roles as he's not playing the same old charming guy, instead being a not so nice guy, particularly for a protagonist. There are two versions of this movie and they are very different with a totally different third act which had a different cast of antagonists. Both versions are great and can be enjoyed as separate movies.
July 20, 2016
Worth a watch. One man on a mission...
May 8, 2016
loved this movie, it's really "payback time"!
½ February 28, 2016
This movie is literally in my top ten all time... everything about this movie just went together no matter how it came about... this has serious replay value in my opinion.
½ February 16, 2016
Solid adaptation of Richard Stark's classic, "The Hunter", but like many Parker films, waters down the character too much. Gibson makes a fine Parker (who is for some reason called Porter), using his trademark charm matched with underlying rage to play a criminal you kind of root for. The rest of the cast is solid, especially Greg Henry as the sociopathic Val, who remains charming even at his most vile. Behind the camera, Brian Helgeland is an obvious fan of Stark, giving the film a rough feel while filling it with criminals worst than Porter, thus you find yourself rooting for him by the default. Sadly, the theatrical cut waters down the story too much to make Porter more sympathetic, though is still entertaining. Hegleland original cut is more effective but still waters down Porter by introducing an unnecessary love story with Rosie (nicely played by Mario Bello). The point of the Parker novels is that he's a bad guy but because he's a professional with something of a code, you find yourself rooting for him over the worse criminals in the film. Overall, an enjoyable film in both versions, but to date, "Point Blank" is the only true adaptation of Richard Stark's novels to date.
½ December 7, 2015
Very cool movie. Lots of action and twists unlike other movies where you can guess exactly what's going to happen.
November 11, 2015
" Payback " is a good action thriller. The ultraviolent movie has Mel Gibson and he wants his money back. He will stop at nothing to get it and won't be intimidated from getting it. There is a lot of killing and shooting and a little humor thrown in it. A great revenge movie, entertaining and worth the watch. So for this being the type of films I want Mel Gibson to be back at, I will give " Payback " a B.
August 24, 2015
didn't much care about this mel gibson movie
June 21, 2015
85%
Saw this on 21/6/15
This feels like a neo-noir film that Guy Ritchie may make. The best thing here is Mel Gibson who plays a character well fit for his acting style. His character is unbelievable and senseless. The action, violence and beautiful cinematography are all well matched for the film's style. It's plot may not feel much, but it's many good elements can make you forget that.