Deep Blue Sea - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deep Blue Sea Reviews

August 2, 2006
I have to admit this film provided some intense moments and whilst this is sort of Jaws on Steroids, it did of course share the same predictability. Of course the graphics of the Sharks etc were more impressive and so were the actual kills. It did provide a few laughs although I doubt that was the intention.

I am usually a fan of Saffron Burrows, but this roles really didn't suit her and let's face it, LL Cool J has to be one of the worst Rapper turned Actors out there.

The set becomes repetitive and I found myself wanting them to escape just to see different scenery.
deano
½ October 30, 2006
Check out the big brain on Jaws. An unlikely posse of performers (Samuel L. Jackson, Thomas Jane and Saffron Burrows) get down and dirty with some genetically enhanced, super-smart massive sharks in Renny Harlin's hugely enjoyable, visually satisfying, severed-limb-tastic romp of a sci-fi thriller. Plus, there are enough movie references to sink the undersea lab which Deep Blue Sea is set on.
The upshot is a romp that never takes itself too seriously, making for a guilty pleasure you can really sink your teeth into.
TheGame90
½ May 27, 2008
Fucking badass sharks...really good movie
blkbomb
½ September 5, 2011
Carter Blake: That's the answer to the riddle. Because that's what an 8000 pound mako thinks about. About freedom. About the deep blue sea.

"Bigger. Smarter. Faster. Meaner."

As far as shark thrillers go, Deep Blue Sea isn't the worst you'll ever see. It belongs to a genre that pretty much blows, although there are a few exceptions like Jaws and Open Water. Deep Blue Sea is a decent Film, but I still didn't really like it. It's fun in a stupid kind of way and it does have a few awesome action sequences, but other then that its nothing but a big, dumb action film. I guess I knew that going in though.

It does have a pretty cool cast, but obviously the acting is bad because that's what the material calls for. It has dumb one liners and ridiculously smart sharks, so I don't think the director is trying to pull Oscar level stuff out of his cast. Even Oscar level actor Samuel L. Jackson's acting is bad, but that's how its supposed to be, so I'm not complaining about that. What I am complaining about though, is that this movie wasn't as fun as it should have been. I can like movies like this. I liked Piranha 3D because it was fun from start to finish. It also had a short run time which is almost a necessity with these stupid creature features.

All in all, you're going to get what you expect. You're going to get a semi-entertaining, ridiculous movie that you don't need to think about. It's not a bad movie to watch late at night when there's nothing else to do.
DreamExtractor
½ August 15, 2011
Its really fun to watch, but really painful to think about as a good movie, its just another killthem all movie, like Pirahna 3D or some other crap.
½ May 1, 2011
A childhood favorite and quite possibly one of the kookiest action movies ever conceived. The idea of having sharks as villains has been done before, but when you make them super-intelligent killing machines it becomes an entirely new ball game. Thomas Jane solidified his action star status as the "too cool for school" Carter who knows everything from salt water to biochemical physics. You also have LL Cool J's extremely memorable performance as Cook, the chef who refuses to succumb to sharks taking over his kitchen. There's also a nice little extreme performance from Samuel L. Jackson that is reminiscent of his Jurassic Park role. Now i'm not saying Deep Blue Sea is a masterpiece by average film standards, but it manages to give its viewer everything they could possibly ask for in a shark movie and then some. It's a miracle this movie actually is as good as it is. With the glorious amounts of one-liners, fast pacing and cheeseball CGI, you're never left with a dull moment. This might not be for everyone, but to me it's a classic.
March 24, 2007
A whole lot of fun.
Also LL Cool J's credits song is hysterical.
garyX
½ December 26, 2006
When scientists breed a trio of genetically engineered, super-intelligent sharks for research purposes, wackiness ensues. Jaws meets The Poseidon Adventure in this deeply silly but reasonably well engineered creature feature. It sticks to the usual formula for this kind of thing pretty much to the letter, beginning with a collection of daytime soap opera characters including Saffron Burrows as the well meaning but misguided (as well as hot, of course) mad scientist, Thomas Jane as the laconic alpha male tough guy, SLJ as the straight talking money man and LL Cool J as the token black stereotype and "comic" relief. Things get a lot more interesting when the Frankenfish start chowing down on them which includes some nicely choreographed action sequences and genuine shocks, and the shark effects are actually pretty damn good. It's all very generic and dumb but if you like this kind of thing you could do a lot worse; it's a hell of a lot better than Jaws 3 and 4.
February 9, 2007
Deep Blue Sea is one of those films that you simply cannot take seriously or you will go out of your mind with annoyance. It seems like the film makers thought about having a plot, but then they found they could have way more fun playing with the CGI Sharks (which are pretty good actually) The conversation between the film makers probably went something like this.

'Hey i have a great idea for a story, we can breed super sharks with oversize brain capacity in the quest to find a cure for Altziemers disease'

'That sounds good, then we can have the sharks get out of control and add some action sequences'

'Yeah good idea, but lets show the scientific side first while we build the characters'

'Yeah of course we have to build the characters and set the scene, wow what's that over there; come and take a look what the special effects team have done it's brilliant'

'Wow that's really cool, lets have lots of that.'

'But what about the story and character depth'

'We could always show the sexy female lead in her underwear, i reckon that and loads of sharks and death will distract the audience enough and they'll never notice'

And so Deep Blue Sea was born, and guess what? It's actually a good laugh and has wall to wall action, sharks and blood; and oh yeah! The female lead gets down to her underwear too, SHOCKER!

Please accept my apologies for the rather corny review, but i felt it was very fitting for this movie.

5/10 By the way Yes i did enjoy it, just in case you were wondering.
cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
Silly, but harmless fun. This is a funny and thrilling popcorn flick, with lots of entertaining spectacle, and some decent (given the material) performances to boot.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 9, 2010
Deep Blue Sea can be seen as a more high tech version of Jaws, with a lot less story and more emphasize on action, suspense and horror. A cast of decent actors adorns this disaster at sea clichés ridden film. Renny Harlin who directed Cliffhanger directs this horror actioner and has a few tricks of his own to shock and entertain you. The cast isn't sensational, and really there's maybe three characters in the whole film that you end up sympathizing with as the smarter, deadlier sharks break out and seek a quick lunch. With nowhere to run, the characters are pitted against a stronger foe, typical cliché for a disaster film. But somehow, Deep Blue Sea is a thrilling, suspenseful Horror action film with enough bite to keep you interested till the end. Rennyt Harlin makes decent enough action films, and with Deep Blue Sea he keeps the ball rolling and delivers a pretty good film despite the numerous clichés.
½ September 11, 2009
A group of biologists and other specialists are experimenting on a group of large and seemingly very smart sharks in order to find out more about them. However, things take a turn for the worst when the sharks go haywire and start developing a taste for humans.
When "Deep Blue Sea" was at the theaters in 1999, I was a senior in high school and I never got the chance to go see it. I've always been a huge fan of action/suspense movies that involve an animal as a killer, especially the "Jaws" series, therefore, I really couldn't wait to see this one!

"Deep Blue Sea" has good enough acting, good special effects, and equally well done suspense and action. The whole time I was watching it, I never got bored or wanted to move from my seat. In ways, I could see where it was trying to be like the all-famous and classic "Jaws." But it's a little different because it involves more than one shark and these sharks have a huge brain. All in all, "Deep Blue Sea" is a great movie, but to me, it wasn't as good as "Jaws," but then again, how could it be? It would be almost impossible for a movie of the same nature to be better than "Jaws," which was a revolutionary classic to say the least. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. Always love shark movies.
skactopus
April 24, 2007
Renny Harlin, the man that brought us Die Hard 2 and Cliffhanger among other things, delivers a more than decent shark thriller in Deep Blue Sea.The first few minutes feel like any typical sea predator film. There is a boat in the middle of the ocean at night; something attacks. Fortunately, the film gets much better after that. The next 20 minutes or so has just enough build up for the major characters, as well as the story, which provides a solid enough reason for the smart sharks.The sharks themselves are quite menacing. There are a few times where they are identifiable with CG, however their speed and size help to create the suspenseful atmosphere this picture needs.A number of notable actors make up the cast, including Thomas Jane, Samuel L. Jackson, LL Cool J, and Saffron Burrows, who finds herself stripping down to her bra and panties in one sequence. All make for decent enough characters.This isn't a classic, but Deep Blue Sea is an action thriller to consider watching if time allows. "Now you see how that works? She screwed with the sharks, and now the sharks, they're screwing with us."
½ June 15, 2009
this is one of those exceptions where it is ok to like something that is completely useless and probably kills your least used brain cells... you know the ones that would serve for being a politician or something
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ February 17, 2007
Well, after a huge success of Steven Spielberg's Jaws, it is like every filmmaker in Hollywood wants to make a movie about shark, with a little different story on it, but still they don't realize their mistakes about making a type of movie like this, just like this movie did... First, the story is too confusing for ordinary people.... A research with a will to help human using animals, in this movie they use shark, the story is so ordinary for a movie about animal attack... Then when the place was drowning and some people inside of it were trying to escape, it become like Poseidon I think... Even with a help from Samuel L. Jackson in this movie, I still thinking that Samuel's decision to join the cast of this movie is a big mistakes... Overall, watch it while you like the type of this movie, or you don't have another movie to watch for killing your leisure time...
½ February 24, 2009
This movie is okay...

Shark's the size of a school bus, lots of bad acting, and unrealistic scenes make for a hardly convincing movie, which for me lost a lot of points. I don't mind a crazy thriller, but if im going to worry about people getting dead, I'd at least like to feel like it's a bit truthful...

LL Cool J saves the film from total disaster, with his cool comedy, and believe it or not - don't know if this is an insult the movie or a compliment to LL Cool J- but he's better than anyone else in the movie by far.

It's thrilling, it keeps you on the edge of your feet, and most important it's unpredictable. Most thriller/horror flicks you know who will survive and who will die right from the beginning - the one thing I had to give this movie major credit for, was that is far from the case in this one.

It's fun to watch, but it's nothing we havent seen before. Sharks, a chase, death, survival, it's not magic but it's an okay flick.
FiLmCrAzY
September 10, 2007
my favourite shark film really thrilling and good
½ June 13, 2006
Steven Spielberg already made the ultimate shark movie, the world didn't really need another one. Until Renny Harlin decided to make Deep Blue Sea. Yes it's even more unrealistic and not always entirely logic, but also so extremely exciting you're on the edge of your seat the entire 100 minutes. The movie takes its time for the introduction of the characters and then kicks you into the cold water with such an incredible scare after half an hour that you haven't entirely recovered when the next one hits you. Not really caring about the usual order of demise of characters it stays unpredictable, cruel and thrilling until the very end. Thomas Jane is particularly convincing as badass shark wrangler, just like LL Cool J as preaching cook. The effects are pretty damn good, and the music makes sure to additionally tighten the noose as the water keeps rising. Let's just say now there are two shark movies everyone should see: Spielberg's as the classic and this one as his little mean, exciting bastard brother.
Gx7
½ March 22, 2008
This has to be one of the best movies in 1999! I found myself laughing when I saw the floppy disks and zipdrive, that used to be everything for anyone who worked with pcs! Anyway, oh la laa Thomas Jane, miiiiyaaoowwrr!! ---- CGI back then was still crappy compared to what we have now, but ykna what? after all these years, I still love watching this!
Chiefilms
½ March 3, 2008
Deepest Bluest My Head is like a shark's fin? That sums up the movie.