Deep Blue Sea - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deep Blue Sea Reviews

May 17, 2018
Not great but entertaining B movie Jaws-wannabe. Dumb silly amusement, though forgettable.
May 3, 2018
Sharks are not alive, but some are plastic
May 3, 2018
An Incomprehensibly Stupid Movie That In Some Moment's Tries To Be Taken Seriously, But Falls Flat Because Of The Incredibly Dated Effect's And Unlikable Characters
April 14, 2018
At least it wasnt b-panther the movie, A+ in that regard.
April 7, 2018
How can you not love a film where Samuel L Jackson does what he does and then...that happens....
April 3, 2018
I dont get why this movie has mixed reviews. This is a very good movie. There were like 2 parts of the movie where the sharks looked fake but still. The ending part is the part that really pissed me off because Susan My favorite character died :( But over all this was a great movie! i give it 5 stars!4
½ March 27, 2018
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHER F**KING CRITICS HATING THIS MOTHER F***KING MOVIE! I mean it's not that bad but it is your regular action movie, only this time they are escaping from a shark like in jaws except smaller sharks. If you think my review looks wild you have to watch the movie to appreciate the reference.
March 8, 2018
I never enjoyed this one. Everything was done so cheap and cheesy. The acting was mediocre and the dialog was rubbish. I liked Samuel L Jackson and Stellan Skarsgard but that's about it.
½ February 19, 2018
You'll say this film's a big Jaws rip-off
A plot that makes critics scoff
And it ain't got no heart
You'll say the CGI looks cheesy
With gore that makes you queasy
Still there's something likeable
And I said, "Deep Blue Sea isn't terrible!"
She said, "I think I got caught up in the action
And as I recall, I think we both were frightened."
And I said, "Well, that's the one thing it's got."
January 27, 2018
A classic, love the cast.
January 18, 2018
I had a LOT of fun with this movie.
December 22, 2017
I completely disagree with the grumpy critics on this movie. Although I've watched this a dozen times, I only recently realized just what great fun it is, especially when you know it was made nearly twenty years ago. It's speculative fiction with everything that stands the test of time: Sharks, biotechnology, Samuel L. Jackson, and man's relationship with his/her beloved pets. This movie transcends gender, race, and even species. Boy does get girl, but not in the way you think.
September 21, 2017
Should be called "Deep Brown Shit"
½ September 18, 2017
Fails at every level. The science was so bad, I was expecting the "scientist" to admit to being a fraud. Then, he died.
September 2, 2017
3/5. Extremely stupid, but extremely fun.
June 12, 2017
This is one of my favorite bad movies. It's full of action and ridiculous situations to delicious to ignore. Speaking of ridiculousness -- that Samuel L. Jackson death scene has got to be my favorite death on film of all time!
June 7, 2017
This film is so cheesy and bad - but i have a thing about sharks,and the two together makes it good in my eyes!!!!! ha ha ha!!!!
½ June 4, 2017
3 1/2 ud af 5 intelligente hajer. Nostalgisk gensyn med fed monster/action-film, hvor suspensen mest går på, hvem der bliver den næste, som ryger i dødens gab.
May 28, 2017
At Aquatica, a former submarine refueling facility converted into a laboratory, a team of scientists searches for a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Fluids from the brain tissue of three Mako sharks are harvested. Unknown to the other scientists, Drs. Susan McAlester (Saffron Burrows) and Jim Whitlock (Stellan Skarsgård) have violated the code of ethics and have genetically engineered the sharks to increase their brain size; this has the side effect of making the sharks smarter and more dangerous. After one of the sharks escapes and attacks a boat full of teenagers, Aquatica's financial backers send corporate executive Russell Franklin (Samuel L. Jackson) to investigate the facility. To prove that the research is working, the team removes fluid from the brain tissue of the largest shark. While examining it, Jim is attacked by the shark and his arm is bitten off. Brenda Kerns (Aida Turturro), the tower's operator, calls a helicopter to evacuate Jim, but as he is being lifted, the stormy condition cause the cable winch to jam, and Jim falls into the shark pen. The shark grabs the gurney and pulls the chopper into the tower, killing Brenda and the pilots. As the others try to figure out what caused the explosion, one of the sharks uses Jim's gurney, with him still strapped to it, as a battering ram to smash an underwater window, drowning him, flooding the facility and freeing the other sharks. Upon being confronted, Susan confesses to the others that she and Jim genetically altered the sharks. Susan, Russell, wrangler Carter Blake (Thomas Jane), marine biologist Janice Higgins (Jacqueline McKenzie), engineer Tom Scoggins (Michael Rapaport) and the cook Sherman "Preacher" Dudley (LL Cool J) needs to figure out how to break out of Aquatica and make for the open sea...

The film received mixed reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes consensus states "Aside from a few thrills, Deep Blue Sea is unoriginal and unintelligent." Empire magazine gave the film three out of five stars, saying "It was never going to crash any parties come Oscar night, or usurp previous nature-fights-back epics (Jurassic et al), but Deep Blue Sea remains defiant. It's about giant sharks eating people. And that's exactly what you get." Roger Ebert went further, saying of the film "In a genre where a lot of movies are retreads of the predictable, 'Deep Blue Sea' keeps you guessing." Writing in People, horror novelist Stephen King described his recovery from a near-fatal accident: "My first trip after being smacked by a van and almost killed was to the movies (Deep Blue Sea, as a matter of fact; I went in my wheelchair and loved every minute of it)."

Renny Harlin´s "Deep Blue Sea" is trying to bring in the frightness of "Jaws" into a more modern setting with a script based on social political research for the cure of Alzheimer's disease while mixing it with a classic Frankenstein sort of set up were the sharks have been genetically engineered and have become smarter than the humans. I reckon the general idea is there for an ok horror film (if you do believe that you can genetically engineer a sharks brain...), but despite some known names in the leads it ends up as a b-movie in general with pretty stupid and flat characters. Even if the script tries to flesh out the characters, it still becomes one-dimensional from most angles. The dialogue and the CGI are the pillars that don´t really work. In the extra material on the DVD Renny Harlin dares anyone to try to pick out the CGI sharks. Maybe that was difficult in 1999, not in 2017... Yes, we do get some sudden moments of shock that works, but this is not a keeper and mostly a mediocre film. I did however enjoy the lovely Saffron Burrows participation.

Trivia: Shot in the same Fox Studios Baha complex where Titanic (1997) was filmed. Having made Cutthroat Island (1995) at sea, Renny Harlin was determined to make this movie under the most controlled circumstances possible.