The Patriot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Patriot Reviews

October 17, 2016
An ideologically-charged movie with little to no historical backbone, relying on truisms and farcical dramatisation of real events to stir irrational feelings to the audience. This is nothing but poorly-hatched anti-British propaganda.
½ September 15, 2016
Terribly inaccurate from a historic standpoint. Stuffed to the gills with American exceptionalism, while painting the English as bloodthirsty savages. A bucket full of whitewash would be more accurate about the Revolutionary War. Mel Gibson and Roland Emmerich should be ashamed of producing such a terrible disservice to historic fact.
September 12, 2016
A movie that has character we care about, emotional depth, and bloody war violence to go along with it. Where are these movies today?
½ August 27, 2016
With an entertaining story, great visuals and some very nice Gibson moments on screen, the Patriot is a good film, but it is marred by excessive violence and melodrama and a few quasi-fantasy scenes.
August 21, 2016
1993's Schindler's List Is My Fifth Favorite Film Of All Time.
July 31, 2016
It's good movie fun. But it is so flawed it makes no sense. Can you have a fictional account of a historical event? Sure. But it usually only works if the story line is a subplot of the actual event. Here, we are basically told that Gibson's character basically turns the whole war around. Sadly, it kills the real stories of men who really did make major influences in the revolution like Roger's Rangers - the precursor to our modern Army Rangers. Additionally, it white washes absurdly. A slave is told 'we'll make a new world where all men are created equal under God' by Gibson's son. Really? So it was this random dude who invented that line? Did I mention this takes place in the SOUTH?!? Additionally, while the slave fighting with them faces some harassment, for the most part, slaves are treated quite nicely. One soldier, the most racist one, at the end even turns to the slave and tells him how honored he was to serve with him. Really? Cheese factor 10. At one point, families are hidden in a slave village, yet everyone gets along just hunky dory. Really???. Then for some reason, they leave their safety and of course bad things happen. Why didn't they stay? There's predictable scenes, like the one where an entire British unit is wiped out, but the head bad guy gets away. Another where Gibson runs along the line carrying the flag, rallying the troops, much like a scene from Braveheart. It so badly portrays historical events, it makes the whole movie a waste of time.
July 15, 2016
The Patriot is the story about farmer Benjamin Martin who wants to avoid the conflict with Britain, but when he loses his son, he decides to fight against the British. Many may consider The Patriot to me to melodramatic, but for me its the right amount of drama to help the characters have importance. Overall it provides good action and good characters.
July 12, 2016
Great film. Good script, dramatic story, and the performance by Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger were superb!
June 14, 2016
Mainly due to the story, and the performance of Mel Gibson, The Patriot stands as one of the very best movies I have ever seen. If you enjoy movies based on true stories, action packed scenes, and dramatic acting, The Patriot is a must see!
½ June 13, 2016
Revolutionary war epic about loyalty to family and country. Gibson gives a strong performance. Whether this movie is historically accurate would be a question for historians but the movie is entertaining and brings out patriotism in the viewer.
May 26, 2016
A powerful emotional experience. I can't remember a film where I've hated the villain more then this one (in a good way).
½ May 19, 2016
Good but rigid plot line and simply follows the routine of every similar movie.
May 4, 2016
The Patriot (2000) ???
Entertaining story of Mel Gibson's refusal to join Revolutionary war until his family is jeopardized. Better than you might expect, and surprisingly not predictable, with good performances and rousing battles scenes . . . just don't think about it too hard. The depiction of British officers are absurd but still enjoyable; nothing can bear close scrutiny it seems, but it's certainly fun. "Extended edition" runs 175 minutes.
March 24, 2016
A little long but great story and battle sequences
March 6, 2016
This film was phenomenal... Gibson & Ledger were simply stellar... you literally "feel" every scene that Benjamin Martin is in... so much emotion.
½ February 28, 2016
Utter rubbish that defiles history
February 20, 2016
The Patriot benefits greatly from Mel Gibson who's maturity and conviction comes across clearly. I'm also glad they stuck with the R rating because the brutality of battle makes the already great battle scenes, more believable. It it justifies the long length by giving us a dramatic story that makes us care about the Martin family.
January 30, 2016
Benjamin Martin: Oh, son, that wasn't your fault
Mr. Howard: We ARE citizens of an American nation! And our rights are being threatened by a tyrant three thousand miles away!
Benjamin Martin: Would you tell me please, Mr. Howard, why should I trade one tyrant three thousand miles away for three thousand tyrants one mile away? An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as a king can.
½ January 23, 2016
Mel Gibson and Jason Isaacs square off in a fine action drama that really captures the atmosphere of the American Revolution. (First full viewing - In my early twenties)
½ January 5, 2016
While brutal at times and filled with near constant tragedy, The Patriot is elevated by a powerful performance from Mel Gibson and an emotional story set in the Revolutionary War. A classic war film.