The Patriot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Patriot Reviews

July 6, 2017
Many could argue this film is the defining point where Roland Emmerich's filmmaking career starts its downward spiral...but who could have imagined ID4 2 could be that bad?

The story of Benjamin Martin (Gibson) who is reluctantly summoned into fighting the British & his relationship with his family.

At just shy of three hours this film really does loose momentum & its way & you loose the grip unlike films like Braveheart & Hacksaw Ridge etc. Its not a bad film but doesn't have the pulling power you assume it would.
½ June 24, 2017
Despite being directed by Roland Emmerich this epic historical fiction war film doesn't feel like any other film he has done before or since. Which might be down to the lack of special effects but could also be attributed to the fact there is someone mildly competent behind the writing of the script in the form of Robert Rodat. Either way despite its length it is generally an entertaining and engrossing film that has great performances, incredible action (that may not be quite as gory as say Braveheart but it has its moments, cannonball to the face anyone?), the score by John Williams is cracking, it looks great and despite some narrative predictability it was still good to watch it all unfold. The negatives are that it is quite long, not historically accurate, most of the main characters aren't given enough screen time to allow us to truly get to know them and the ending isn't all that satisfying.
June 18, 2017
The Patriot tem seus momentos marcantes e especiais, mas ele passa muito tempo criando estorias internas e apelando para sentimentalismos baratos que saturam o arco dramático, exageros descabidos deixa um grau de superficialidade forte no ar, sem falar que em suas inúmeras sub-tramas Robert Rodat injeta um nível de clichês inapropriado, isso desgasta a narrativa e desperdiça essa premissa valiosa.
June 1, 2017
John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer Of All Time.
May 21, 2017
The story line could use a bit of work...
½ May 1, 2017
woeful acting, story and I forgave braveheart but yet more Gibson Brit bashing
April 3, 2017
Good, but not great. Maybe a little schmaltzy, but not enough so's you care. Mel is just so charismatic. He steals the show any time he's on screen.
½ March 25, 2017
What a load of racist, anti-British rubbish. This film is in no way historically correct and is just Mel Gibson at his worst: Bashing the English, e.g. Braveheart. Although the fight seens are quite good there is pretty much no story line except British bad and must die!. what a load of distorted fake American patriotism. AVOID!
February 17, 2017
Filled with emotional drama and powerful action, The Patriot impressively uses the backdrop of the American Revolution to tell a gripping story about family, freedom, and the price that is paid to protect these values. However, that story is largely driven by a violent revenge that thematically minimizes the true spirit that began the American Revolution in the first place. Nonetheless, the Patriot is well made cinematically, and still provides an impactful look into the effects of such a war on an individual man and his family.
January 29, 2017
Nothing more than patriotic masturbatory drivel, disregard for what is an actually interesting period in history with events that deserve to have been shown with accuracy, not cartoon heroes fighting cartoon villains.
½ January 10, 2017
Maybe the most self-important movie ever made, but it sure is entertaining.
½ December 12, 2016
The Patriot is one of the most underrated and overlooked films ever, it's amazing and ranks up there with Glory, Braveheart, and The Last Samurai.
December 3, 2016
The patriot has its technical issues and historical exaggeration problems, but it's epic, bold, dramatic, action-packed, romantic, and heartbreaking story won't get past you.
November 27, 2016
Well-done. See the Extended Cut. On Blu-ray.
November 10, 2016
This is one of my favorite films. I loved Mel Gibson's performance and the story was captivating. In particular, I found that the action was very entertaining, especially the first scene where he fights with the tomahawk. I don't know, there's just something about tomahawks that I find more amusing than any other weapon.

Now, I understand that this movie is not without it's flaws. It can be quite melodramatic at times and it's practically Braveheart set during the Revolutionary War. Also, it's not historically accurate. However, what needs to be understood is that this film, like Braveheart, is historical fiction. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to judge this film because it's not based on a true story. But it does serve an overarching purpose, and that purpose was to simply show that the Revolutionary War sucked. The victory was sweet, but American citizens lost much in the process. Nobody was really safe. And trust me, this movie hits that fact hard with a vengeance. Also, Jason Isaac's, "Colonel Tavington", is one of the most abhorrent, hateable villains I've ever seen. Seriously, he's almost as bad as Commodus in Gladiator and I REALLY hated that guy.

Overall, I loved the patriot. It's an inspiring film that really helped show how hard the Revolutionary War must have been for some. Yes, it's pretty melodramatic at times and it's basically American Braveheart (except not really). However, in the end, The Patriot is a emotional, fun film to watch that I always enjoy going back to.
½ November 8, 2016
I love this movie but is it historically accurate, No
½ November 5, 2016
A pretty epic wartime period piece.
October 23, 2016
Mel Gibson is amazing in this flick. Also a great depiction of actual events that led to the our country's independence.
October 17, 2016
An ideologically-charged movie with little to no historical backbone, relying on truisms and farcical dramatisation of real events to stir irrational feelings to the audience. This is nothing but poorly-hatched anti-British propaganda.