The Patriot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Patriot Reviews

December 3, 2016
The patriot has its technical issues and historical exaggeration problems, but it's epic, bold, dramatic, action-packed, romantic, and heartbreaking story won't get past you.
November 27, 2016
Well-done. See the Extended Cut. On Blu-ray.
November 10, 2016
This is one of my favorite films. I loved Mel Gibson's performance and the story was captivating. In particular, I found that the action was very entertaining, especially the first scene where he fights with the tomahawk. I don't know, there's just something about tomahawks that I find more amusing than any other weapon.

Now, I understand that this movie is not without it's flaws. It can be quite melodramatic at times and it's practically Braveheart set during the Revolutionary War. Also, it's not historically accurate. However, what needs to be understood is that this film, like Braveheart, is historical fiction. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to judge this film because it's not based on a true story. But it does serve an overarching purpose, and that purpose was to simply show that the Revolutionary War sucked. The victory was sweet, but American citizens lost much in the process. Nobody was really safe. And trust me, this movie hits that fact hard with a vengeance. Also, Jason Isaac's, "Colonel Tavington", is one of the most abhorrent, hateable villains I've ever seen. Seriously, he's almost as bad as Commodus in Gladiator and I REALLY hated that guy.

Overall, I loved the patriot. It's an inspiring film that really helped show how hard the Revolutionary War must have been for some. Yes, it's pretty melodramatic at times and it's basically American Braveheart (except not really). However, in the end, The Patriot is a emotional, fun film to watch that I always enjoy going back to.
½ November 8, 2016
I love this movie but is it historically accurate, No
½ November 5, 2016
A pretty epic wartime period piece.
October 23, 2016
Mel Gibson is amazing in this flick. Also a great depiction of actual events that led to the our country's independence.
October 17, 2016
An ideologically-charged movie with little to no historical backbone, relying on truisms and farcical dramatisation of real events to stir irrational feelings to the audience. This is nothing but poorly-hatched anti-British propaganda.
½ September 15, 2016
Terribly inaccurate from a historic standpoint. Stuffed to the gills with American exceptionalism, while painting the English as bloodthirsty savages. A bucket full of whitewash would be more accurate about the Revolutionary War. Mel Gibson and Roland Emmerich should be ashamed of producing such a terrible disservice to historic fact.
September 12, 2016
A movie that has character we care about, emotional depth, and bloody war violence to go along with it. Where are these movies today?
½ August 27, 2016
With an entertaining story, great visuals and some very nice Gibson moments on screen, the Patriot is a good film, but it is marred by excessive violence and melodrama and a few quasi-fantasy scenes.
August 21, 2016
1993's Schindler's List Is My Fifth Favorite Film Of All Time.
July 31, 2016
It's good movie fun. But it is so flawed it makes no sense. Can you have a fictional account of a historical event? Sure. But it usually only works if the story line is a subplot of the actual event. Here, we are basically told that Gibson's character basically turns the whole war around. Sadly, it kills the real stories of men who really did make major influences in the revolution like Roger's Rangers - the precursor to our modern Army Rangers. Additionally, it white washes absurdly. A slave is told 'we'll make a new world where all men are created equal under God' by Gibson's son. Really? So it was this random dude who invented that line? Did I mention this takes place in the SOUTH?!? Additionally, while the slave fighting with them faces some harassment, for the most part, slaves are treated quite nicely. One soldier, the most racist one, at the end even turns to the slave and tells him how honored he was to serve with him. Really? Cheese factor 10. At one point, families are hidden in a slave village, yet everyone gets along just hunky dory. Really???. Then for some reason, they leave their safety and of course bad things happen. Why didn't they stay? There's predictable scenes, like the one where an entire British unit is wiped out, but the head bad guy gets away. Another where Gibson runs along the line carrying the flag, rallying the troops, much like a scene from Braveheart. It so badly portrays historical events, it makes the whole movie a waste of time.
July 15, 2016
The Patriot is the story about farmer Benjamin Martin who wants to avoid the conflict with Britain, but when he loses his son, he decides to fight against the British. Many may consider The Patriot to me to melodramatic, but for me its the right amount of drama to help the characters have importance. Overall it provides good action and good characters.
July 12, 2016
Great film. Good script, dramatic story, and the performance by Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger were superb!
June 14, 2016
Mainly due to the story, and the performance of Mel Gibson, The Patriot stands as one of the very best movies I have ever seen. If you enjoy movies based on true stories, action packed scenes, and dramatic acting, The Patriot is a must see!
½ June 13, 2016
Revolutionary war epic about loyalty to family and country. Gibson gives a strong performance. Whether this movie is historically accurate would be a question for historians but the movie is entertaining and brings out patriotism in the viewer.
May 26, 2016
A powerful emotional experience. I can't remember a film where I've hated the villain more then this one (in a good way).
½ May 19, 2016
Good but rigid plot line and simply follows the routine of every similar movie.
May 4, 2016
The Patriot (2000) ???
Entertaining story of Mel Gibson's refusal to join Revolutionary war until his family is jeopardized. Better than you might expect, and surprisingly not predictable, with good performances and rousing battles scenes . . . just don't think about it too hard. The depiction of British officers are absurd but still enjoyable; nothing can bear close scrutiny it seems, but it's certainly fun. "Extended edition" runs 175 minutes.