Pearl Harbor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pearl Harbor Reviews

½ October 17, 2016
The love story surrounding The Big Event is so sappy and ridiculously corny that by the time you're an hour into this odyssey you're almost begging for the zeroes to start sinking American ships. Apart from the attack scene itself this is pure dreck by a film-maker who has never demonstrated any interest or ability in telling an actual story. It's bad. Real bad. Skip to the explosions - that's all Director Michael Bay knows how to do and it appears to be all he cares about. That and money of course - yours turned into his.
October 2, 2016
The problem with Pearl Harbor isn't inherently the fact that Michael Bay demotes the Pearl Harbor bombing to the background of a love story: in fact, it's nice to see the director try something a bit more personal rather than a big action movie. The problem with Pearl Harbor is the way this love story, and eventual love triangle, is handled. This is a story that is so needlessly rushed: the main relationship is established in the first ten minutes of the film, not stopping to give enough time for any significant character development outside of very basic relationships. In this, the lead trio of Ben Affleck, Josh Hartnett, and Kate Beckinsale are given no chances to give any hints of personality to their characters, resulting in three boring performances.

Funnily enough, the one time Michael Bay makes a movie that focuses primarily on characters and relationships rather than visual effects is the one time that his visual effects are truly the saving grace of the movie. The titular attack sequence is beautifully captured, with visual effects that never feel like computer generated images and mostly smooth camerawork that keeps everything in check. Perhaps it falls close to sensory overload, with the amount of explosions you expect from a Bay setpiece and then some, but it's a visceral moment where Bay proves that he can direct a pretty compelling dramatic scene. It's no Saving Private Ryan or anything, but it's nearly enough to push this one to the brim of being an ok movie. Nearly, but not quite.
½ September 18, 2016
Not sure what people's problem with this movie is. It is sad, exciting and funny when it needs to be. It is one of the better Bay films
½ September 10, 2016
Pearl Harbor(2001)
Starring:Ben Affleck,Josh Hartnett,Kate Beckinsale,Cuba-gooding-Jr,Tom Sizemore,Jon Voight,Colm Feore,Mako,Alec Baldwin,and William Lee Scott
Directed By:Michael Bay
Many years ago a disaster fell apart in this nation a horrible tragedy that left good people and their families scared for life and while may weren't there to witness it this attack on the public left several poor souls confused and afraid and it is a bombing hold deep within our hearts so I ask, Why Does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies,cause Pearl Harbor sucked and it's the most boring action romance movie that you will ever see.
Set during the 1940's Pearl Harbort tells the story of two young pilots, Rafe and Danny who become air-cop pilots for the navy and meet Evelyn who is a nurse for the Navy then eventually Rafe falls head over heels for her and of course the two fall in love however during a mission Rafe is pronounced dead and Danny becomes Evelyn's new interest. However later on during the famous attack Rafe returns from the dead and as such a feud between the two best friends begin set during the attack on pearl harbor by the Japanese empire.
The acting in this is terrible, not to bad from Ben Affleck and Kate Beckinsale they do try with the horrible script that they've been given but by far the worst out of our three main leads is Josh Hartnett who's eyes look like the eyes of Brock from Pokemon which is really distracting and stupid when he's on screen.
The special effects are kind of good still but there beginning to show age since this movie was released in 2001 and was directed by a man who can't make a good movie to save his life.
You know this movie is one of disaster romance movies that have fictional characters that are suppose to have an impact on this but they don't. At least with Titanic you see the fictional characters interact with the real life characters so when the tragedy happens you know who they are and can build emotional connections with them. Which is what this movie needed and what all movies need. This movie could have had that but no it didn't so case in point it sucks. I give Pearl Harbor one and a half stars out of five.
August 19, 2016
BOOM!! Bay comes back with an amazing film which will make you poo yourself with excitment. While watching this urine trickled down my trouser leg, the love story was so ummy nummy I wanted to run into the street and grab a stranger to put in my basement to act out all the lovely love scenes in this masterpeice.
August 4, 2016
As many people have said, this is just a cheesy love story that is set during the attack of Pearl Harbor.
½ July 6, 2016
Not a bad movie as critics say. Actually a very valid piece of art its just extremely long.
June 11, 2016
Amazing film that had me crying at the end. Doesn't deserve the bad reviews it gets.
June 1, 2016
This movie is a freaking tragedy. Unbelievable how Bay got away with such a piece of junk portraying history like its a propaganda piece.
½ May 19, 2016
Pearl Harbor (2001) ? 1/2
D: Michael Bay. Ben Affleck, Josh Hartnett, Kate Beckinsale, Ewen Bremner, Jon Voight, William Lee Scott. Unambitious war movie unsuccessfully captures attack on Pearl Harbor during WWII, undermined by clichéd script, cornball romantics. More stupid than offensive, but that doesn't mean it's any less dull. Overlong, to state the obvious, and probably more distressing than the actually tragedy on Hawaii. Oscar for Best Sound Editing.
½ May 17, 2016
dazzling action way outweighs the silly romance
½ May 16, 2016
The bombing scene was awesome!
May 6, 2016
½ May 1, 2016
This movie can fuck right off. I think the love triangle story would have been okay by itself. This is a movie trying to do way too much and it ends up not accomplishing a fucking thing in 3 hours. Affleck has to be one of the worst heroes I have ever seen. Also, how did writing letters on his hand fix his issue of dyslexia? Ah who even remembers that shit at this point.

Way too much shit happening. This movie can go fuck right off.
April 23, 2016
I'm not gonna lie.
Even though I really LOVE Michael Bay movies, This movie was pretty much a letdown.
April 21, 2016
Mixing History and filmmaking can be a great idea when it comes to production. The history behind Pearl Harbor is what makes this film, not the love story, or the effects added into the film. Look beyond the "bad story line" and understand how effects added into the film help create a great depiction of that dreadful day in 1941. Yes, there were scenes that were not accurate, but there were scenes of factual foundation and that is what makes this movie exciting. Historians in my opinion do not have a say about history in films because they are not filmmakers. Creating a historical film can either be a success, or not a success. This film succeeded in depicting Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.
½ March 29, 2016
Way too long but overall enjoyable.
½ March 29, 2016
I'm not an American, so I don't know that much about the true story behind this movie. But I do know that I found this movie really entertaining. Of course, there are some points in the movie where it feels extremely slow and you would rather cut your own fingers with razor, but in the end if you are able to see the deep story in what Michael Bay tried to create, it's actually a very entertaining, well-done story that deserves way more acclaim that it got.
March 27, 2016
the action was amazing in this movie Michael Bay is great at special effects the story was good to
March 25, 2016
The actual attack lasted 1h05m, the film lasts for two hours. It took Japanese less time to actually destroy the Pacific Fleet than to the director to make a story out of it.