Pearl Harbor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pearl Harbor Reviews

January 13, 2017
AWESOME! I loved it, not a slow moment the entire movie, so emotional, I laughed, I cried. Every actress and actor was great.
January 13, 2017
Awesome movie love it
½ January 8, 2017
This has to be the very worst war film ever made!! the lack of fact is awful and the fact Josh Hartnett saying "WW2 just started" in 1941 is the tip of the iceberg. avoid at all costs!
January 6, 2017
I will always enjoy this film.
½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 30, 2016
It's my favourite movie of all time
December 21, 2016
the action and history is able to carry this movie despite the horrible romance
December 11, 2016
The war sequence is amazing, but even that felt like a melodramatic action movie. Everything else other than the battle scene was utterly terrible, the romance is laughably terrible and the characters are terribly developed.
½ December 9, 2016
Pearl Harbor is directed by Michael Bay, and it stars Ben Affleck, Kate Beckinsale, and Josh Hartnett in a historical romance about a flight person that likes to fly with his best friend, and come across a romance with a nurse, and he has to go in a battle against the Japanese, while more of Japanese soldiers find a way to destroy Pearl Harbor. I didn't realize that I watched this the day after the actual event happened, I felt that was a huge coincidence, but also interesting to know that. While I don't think this movie is disrespectful to the people in terms of the event, it's kind of disrespectful in a way that we didn't get a good movie out of it that respects them more. The action scenes are exciting to watch and the effects look great, but that's what you expect from Michael Bay. When it does get to the Pearl Harbor scene, it's really intense and it shows the horrors of the element of surprise and either getting shot, or drowned in the process. Every time the movie goes to the Japanese story, it's the most consistent part of the film as it's well-acted, takes itself seriously, know about the consequences of doing it, and it's well-written that the film should've been about them, or Cuba Gooding Jr. as he's good in it, I find him more interesting than the main characters, and his character is actually based on the real life Petty Officer Second Class, so there's more story that you can do with him, and the score by Han Zimmer is lots of fun to listen. Now that the positives are done, let's go to why the movie really doesn't work. The acting from the main characters is not that great, but you can tell that they kind of don't want to be here, even though they're still trying, just not as much. When it's 3 hours long, you definitely tell that it feels that long as I just didn't give a crap about the characters, and also the romance which was trying to be like Titanic, but it doesn't work because the writing by Randall Wallace is bad which is surprising knowing his other work like We Were Soldiers and Braveheart, and you wouldn't even know it was called Pearl Harbor when seeing it, you probably thought it was a soldier romance, and it's not a good one. The characters are stock in this, and when any of the characters die, except for the ones in Pearl Harbor because it's based on the event, it didn't had any emotional feel to me and honestly forgot who that character was. Pearl Harbor is a bad film that I'm glad Randall Wallace ends up with better movie projects, and as for Michael Bay, I'm not really sure.
½ December 8, 2016
Most of Pearl Harbor felt very unnecessary and the incredible, real-life story from which it drew inspiration certainly deserved better, but the dramatization of the actual Pearl Harbor attack delivers.
December 7, 2016
Amazing true story of courage and survival especially when it comes to war!
½ December 7, 2016
Since its Pearl Harbor day, this film is meh. The action is GREAT!! but the romance is awkward and boring, the dialogue is laughable, and is not a good war film. WE NEED BETTER PEARL HARBOR FILMS like Tora! Tora! Tora!
December 1, 2016
Michael Bay was tasked with directing this shameless attempt to replicate Titanic's successful equation of grafting a lengthy romantic melodrama to a famous historical event. Mr. Bay is adept at using the Pearl Harbor attack as a showcase for his trademark craft of frenetically-edited explosion marathons, but everything else lands with a groan. The dialogue is lame, the acting makes the dialogue sound even worse, none of the characterization connects, the pacing is awful, and the whole movie blends into a mush of tacky, tasteless, and borderline-insulting hackwork. If nothing else, Pearl Harbor proves that Titanic deserves more credit than some critics are willing to give it.
November 20, 2016
70%
With the exception of 'Dark of the moon', this could be the only Michael Bay movie that I really didn't enjoy that well. First of all, Bay' direction and action sequences are good, so is some fine acting from Affleck and Hartnett. The film suffers from a prolonged running time and a poor love story.
Beckinsale looks good here, but doesn't act that well. The love story is good till the first half, but when it gets to the climax, Evelyn tells Rafe that she is pregnant and is gonna give her love to Danny for the rest of her life. Its also understandable, but when Danny dies, Evelyn weeps, gives birth and then marries Rafe. What sort of love is that?, what happened to this giving love till her death? And also friends don't do as Rafe did, do they?, Don't tell me that it was for the child cause this is America where there are more single parent raised children than the normal stuff......
November 11, 2016
This is no titanic but it still has its moments.
½ October 17, 2016
The love story surrounding The Big Event is so sappy and ridiculously corny that by the time you're an hour into this odyssey you're almost begging for the zeroes to start sinking American ships. Apart from the attack scene itself this is pure dreck by a film-maker who has never demonstrated any interest or ability in telling an actual story. It's bad. Real bad. Skip to the explosions - that's all Director Michael Bay knows how to do and it appears to be all he cares about. That and money of course - yours turned into his.
October 2, 2016
The problem with Pearl Harbor isn't inherently the fact that Michael Bay demotes the Pearl Harbor bombing to the background of a love story: in fact, it's nice to see the director try something a bit more personal rather than a big action movie. The problem with Pearl Harbor is the way this love story, and eventual love triangle, is handled. This is a story that is so needlessly rushed: the main relationship is established in the first ten minutes of the film, not stopping to give enough time for any significant character development outside of very basic relationships. In this, the lead trio of Ben Affleck, Josh Hartnett, and Kate Beckinsale are given no chances to give any hints of personality to their characters, resulting in three boring performances.

Funnily enough, the one time Michael Bay makes a movie that focuses primarily on characters and relationships rather than visual effects is the one time that his visual effects are truly the saving grace of the movie. The titular attack sequence is beautifully captured, with visual effects that never feel like computer generated images and mostly smooth camerawork that keeps everything in check. Perhaps it falls close to sensory overload, with the amount of explosions you expect from a Bay setpiece and then some, but it's a visceral moment where Bay proves that he can direct a pretty compelling dramatic scene. It's no Saving Private Ryan or anything, but it's nearly enough to push this one to the brim of being an ok movie. Nearly, but not quite.
½ September 18, 2016
Not sure what people's problem with this movie is. It is sad, exciting and funny when it needs to be. It is one of the better Bay films
½ September 10, 2016
Pearl Harbor(2001)
Starring:Ben Affleck,Josh Hartnett,Kate Beckinsale,Cuba-gooding-Jr,Tom Sizemore,Jon Voight,Colm Feore,Mako,Alec Baldwin,and William Lee Scott
Directed By:Michael Bay
Review
Many years ago a disaster fell apart in this nation a horrible tragedy that left good people and their families scared for life and while may weren't there to witness it this attack on the public left several poor souls confused and afraid and it is a bombing hold deep within our hearts so I ask, Why Does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies,cause Pearl Harbor sucked and it's the most boring action romance movie that you will ever see.
Set during the 1940's Pearl Harbort tells the story of two young pilots, Rafe and Danny who become air-cop pilots for the navy and meet Evelyn who is a nurse for the Navy then eventually Rafe falls head over heels for her and of course the two fall in love however during a mission Rafe is pronounced dead and Danny becomes Evelyn's new interest. However later on during the famous attack Rafe returns from the dead and as such a feud between the two best friends begin set during the attack on pearl harbor by the Japanese empire.
The acting in this is terrible, not to bad from Ben Affleck and Kate Beckinsale they do try with the horrible script that they've been given but by far the worst out of our three main leads is Josh Hartnett who's eyes look like the eyes of Brock from Pokemon which is really distracting and stupid when he's on screen.
The special effects are kind of good still but there beginning to show age since this movie was released in 2001 and was directed by a man who can't make a good movie to save his life.
You know this movie is one of disaster romance movies that have fictional characters that are suppose to have an impact on this but they don't. At least with Titanic you see the fictional characters interact with the real life characters so when the tragedy happens you know who they are and can build emotional connections with them. Which is what this movie needed and what all movies need. This movie could have had that but no it didn't so case in point it sucks. I give Pearl Harbor one and a half stars out of five.