The Rookie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rookie Reviews

January 3, 2017
The Rookie can be melodramatic at times, but it's a wondrous story and triumphantly calls for cheers and standing ovations.
½ December 19, 2016
This movie offers something not a lot of movies does.....hope. You sit here and watch this movie. You get attached to not only the the players but the whole team. It offers the feeling that if they don't win you would be let down. Great movie.
½ December 7, 2016
52%
Inspite of a powerful story and a considerable effort from the cast, this film fails due to the excessive adherence to feel good nature and an extremely lack of action or thrills.
½ September 19, 2016
It was a fun movie, but honestly, I was too distracted by how Dennis Quaid looks more like Vincent Kennedy McMahon than his own children.
½ September 19, 2016
A beautiful story. One of the all time greats.
½ August 7, 2016
The inspiring story about dream, but 147 minutes is too long.
½ June 24, 2016
Yes, Disney brings along its typical sappy formula and predictable premise, but I loved every second of this movie! It has heart, emotion, and one heck of a performance by Dennis Quaid. This is one of my favorite sports films
½ May 23, 2016
Not the best sports movie I have seen.
½ May 11, 2016
The Rookie. Rhymes with The Nookie.
½ December 13, 2015
Jim Morris never made it out of the minor leagues before a shoulder injury ended his pitching career twelve years ago. Now a married-with-children high-school chemistry teacher and baseball coach in Texas, Jim's team makes a deal with him: if they win the district championship, Jim will try out with a major-league organization. The bet proves incentive enough for the team, and they go from worst to first, making it to state for the first time in the history of the school. Jim, forced to live up to his end of the deal, is nearly laughed off the try-out field--until he gets onto the mound, where he confounds the scouts (and himself) by clocking successive 98 mph fastballs, good enough for a minor-league contract with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Jim's still got a lot of pitches to throw before he makes it to The Show, but with his big-league dreams revived, there's no telling where he could go.
½ September 6, 2015
Review:
I missed this movie the fist time round so I thought that I would give it a watch, even though it's one of those feel good Disney movies. I personally enjoyed this film, especially as its a true story and Dennis Quaid put in a realistic performance but it is quite corny and predictable from the beginning to the end. It's a about a promising baseball player whose career was shattered after damaging his shoulder and advice from his doctor, so he takes on a job as a teacher in his small town. He also takes on a job as a baseball coach for his district team but they haven't won that many games. In 1999, he makes a bet with his team to pursue his baseball career if they win the district championship and with determination and brilliant coaching, they manage to win. He then tries out for the majors and everyone is shocked that this near middle aged man can throw a 98mph fastball, so the offers start flowing in. He then makes the tough decision to leave his family and go on the road with a baseball team but he doesn't really gel with the other players because of his age. He soon starts to miss his family and there debts start to build up so he decides to give up his dreams and go back home to take on a ordinary job so they can pay there bills. Soon after that, he gets an offer from a major league baseball team and he becomes the oldest baseball player with a unique and amazing fastball. It's a basic zero to hero story which we have seen many times before but the real footage of Jim Morris makes the film a joy to watch. I'm not a big fan of baseball but films like Bill Durham, Field Of Dreams and Tin Cup have brought the sport too people around the world. I liked the relationship between Jim Morris and his son, who always believed that his dad had a special fastball but it took Jim Morris some time to convince his dad who always thought that he had to give up his dreams to put food on the table. It is an amazing achievement for a 35 year old rookie to make it in the majors so this feel-good movie is a emotional biopic about a baseball hero. Enjoyable!

Round-Up:
Dennis Quaid, 61, really hit it big after starring in the Right Stuff in 1983 and then he had roles in major films like Innerspace, which I really enjoyed, Dreamscape, Enemy Mine, The Big Easy and Great Balls of Fire in the 80's. Since then his career was plagued with hit and misses but his professional acting style has never been questioned. He has some major blockbusters behind him like Wyatt Earp, Any Given Sunday, the brilliant Dragonheart and Flight Of The Phoenix but it's hard to see were his career will go from here. It's been a long time since he has starred as the lead in a big blockbuster but his old movies will always be a joy to watch. This movie was directed by John Lee Hancock who brought you films like the Alamo, the great Blind Side and Saving Mr. Banks so he is known for his biopics. I would have liked to have seen the darker times of Jim Morris so it would have made it seem more real and not a typical happy go lucky Disney movie. With that aside, it is still an unique biopic which would be good if it was made for modern times. Judging by the movies takings, it obviously went down well with the audiences around the world so we are still suckers for the zero to hero concept. Anyway it's definitely worth a watch if your fed up with all the doom and gloom in everyday life but for entertainment and excitement, it's very average.

Budget: $22million
Worldwide Gross: $81million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their sports/drama/family movies about a rookie baseball player who pursues his dreams into the majors after taking a bet. 5/10
August 18, 2015
I've seen this several times and it's an easy to watch, simple and enjoyable baseball film based on a true story.
August 10, 2015
This movie has heart, humor, and brings a great perspective on what it's like to leave your family behind so you can put a roof over their heads.
½ August 7, 2015
Nice feel to this ball movie. Quaid does a nice job with his character, and Disney does the rest to make it enjoyable. Even more interesting after learning it is based on a true story.
July 16, 2015
A nice story that shows its never too late to follow your dreams.
½ June 24, 2015
The Rookie is one of the few sports movies that were good. It has a great message, and good acting. This is the genre that Disney should keep working on!
½ June 15, 2015
Nice little sweet story but a little too sweet and too nice.
January 30, 2015
What seems to be a simple straight up Disney film ends up being a great inspirational film. Slow to start and just gets better and better. As someone else reviewed it... it feels like 2 films in 1, but works very well. Dennis Quad just being Dennis Quad which is not a bad thing. Highly recommended.
½ January 24, 2015
A rather warmly-made family movie with baseball elements. Inspiring.
½ October 5, 2014