The Rookie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rookie Reviews

September 4, 2017
It's a ok movie if you like sports then see this movie
June 1, 2017
A decent sports movie that often feels predictable and cliche, but still charms.
½ May 30, 2017
Who likes baseball if you do then see this movie I would say ok movie
April 3, 2017
Definitely some flaws in the story, but entertaining anyway. Sweet movie about following our dreams.
March 10, 2017
Based on the true story about pitcher Jim Morris, this is a watchable but not fantastic baseball movie. Dennis Quaid does give a great performance and they caught the kid from Two & A Half Men when he was young, cute and funny NOT teenager, ugly and annoying so that's a plus.

After you get past the Disney Channel movie about a Science teacher coaching high school baseball it's actually a very good look into Minor League Baseball. Dare I say the best look we have had since Bull Durham. The message is to never give up on your dreams, of course accomplishing that you have to have talent, no job and a forgiving wife!
February 12, 2017
The rookie is one of my favorite movies. I watched it recently but i have seen it many times before and always find myself wanting to watch it again. It is a classic. In this movie Dennis Quaid is excellent as always and is probably the reason i like this movie so much. With the combination of drama and the occasional laugh it makes this movie perfect for just about any audience. Although i like sports and more specifically baseball, i feel this movie would be great for people who don't understand or don't care for sports. Instead its about a coach who reaches his dreams. This movie reminds me of my childhood dreams of becoming a professional baseball player and HITS close to HOME. This movie helped me realize that anything is possible no matter who doubts you. Thats why I would highly recommend this movie and i think it deserves a five star rating.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 23/6/04 (Thurs)

Heard a couple of good reviews about this film which I passed when it was showing in the cinemas. Sports movies are hardly my cup of tea.

As I was watching, the good feeling didn't come up soon, even after half-time. I was thinking, "Gosh! It is so smooth-sailing." I was waiting for a big emotional meltdown or some adversities to knock our hero out. Hardly and I am beginning to feel bored. Yeah right, if only all successes are that easy.

Now, included among the special features is a mini-documentary about the real guy. In real life, he is this simple down-to-earth guy who is grateful for that short-lived fortunes and yet he is more than willing to let it all go when age finally catches up with him. The latter was not shown in the film.

Well, maybe as I am waiting for the film to live up to the expectation of 'an inspiring sports movie', I should also realise that a simple success story should just be told simply. In fact, I got a feeling that by making a movie out of him is like giving the extra credits and recognition he didn't expect in the first place.

Rating: B
January 3, 2017
The Rookie can be melodramatic at times, but it's a wondrous story and triumphantly calls for cheers and standing ovations.
½ December 19, 2016
This movie offers something not a lot of movies does.....hope. You sit here and watch this movie. You get attached to not only the the players but the whole team. It offers the feeling that if they don't win you would be let down. Great movie.
½ December 7, 2016
52%
Inspite of a powerful story and a considerable effort from the cast, this film fails due to the excessive adherence to feel good nature and an extremely lack of action or thrills.
½ September 19, 2016
It was a fun movie, but honestly, I was too distracted by how Dennis Quaid looks more like Vincent Kennedy McMahon than his own children.
½ September 19, 2016
A beautiful story. One of the all time greats.
½ August 7, 2016
The inspiring story about dream, but 147 minutes is too long.
½ June 24, 2016
Yes, Disney brings along its typical sappy formula and predictable premise, but I loved every second of this movie! It has heart, emotion, and one heck of a performance by Dennis Quaid. This is one of my favorite sports films
½ May 23, 2016
Not the best sports movie I have seen.
½ May 11, 2016
The Rookie. Rhymes with The Nookie.
½ December 13, 2015
Jim Morris never made it out of the minor leagues before a shoulder injury ended his pitching career twelve years ago. Now a married-with-children high-school chemistry teacher and baseball coach in Texas, Jim's team makes a deal with him: if they win the district championship, Jim will try out with a major-league organization. The bet proves incentive enough for the team, and they go from worst to first, making it to state for the first time in the history of the school. Jim, forced to live up to his end of the deal, is nearly laughed off the try-out field--until he gets onto the mound, where he confounds the scouts (and himself) by clocking successive 98 mph fastballs, good enough for a minor-league contract with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Jim's still got a lot of pitches to throw before he makes it to The Show, but with his big-league dreams revived, there's no telling where he could go.
½ September 6, 2015
Review:
I missed this movie the fist time round so I thought that I would give it a watch, even though it's one of those feel good Disney movies. I personally enjoyed this film, especially as its a true story and Dennis Quaid put in a realistic performance but it is quite corny and predictable from the beginning to the end. It's a about a promising baseball player whose career was shattered after damaging his shoulder and advice from his doctor, so he takes on a job as a teacher in his small town. He also takes on a job as a baseball coach for his district team but they haven't won that many games. In 1999, he makes a bet with his team to pursue his baseball career if they win the district championship and with determination and brilliant coaching, they manage to win. He then tries out for the majors and everyone is shocked that this near middle aged man can throw a 98mph fastball, so the offers start flowing in. He then makes the tough decision to leave his family and go on the road with a baseball team but he doesn't really gel with the other players because of his age. He soon starts to miss his family and there debts start to build up so he decides to give up his dreams and go back home to take on a ordinary job so they can pay there bills. Soon after that, he gets an offer from a major league baseball team and he becomes the oldest baseball player with a unique and amazing fastball. It's a basic zero to hero story which we have seen many times before but the real footage of Jim Morris makes the film a joy to watch. I'm not a big fan of baseball but films like Bill Durham, Field Of Dreams and Tin Cup have brought the sport too people around the world. I liked the relationship between Jim Morris and his son, who always believed that his dad had a special fastball but it took Jim Morris some time to convince his dad who always thought that he had to give up his dreams to put food on the table. It is an amazing achievement for a 35 year old rookie to make it in the majors so this feel-good movie is a emotional biopic about a baseball hero. Enjoyable!

Round-Up:
Dennis Quaid, 61, really hit it big after starring in the Right Stuff in 1983 and then he had roles in major films like Innerspace, which I really enjoyed, Dreamscape, Enemy Mine, The Big Easy and Great Balls of Fire in the 80's. Since then his career was plagued with hit and misses but his professional acting style has never been questioned. He has some major blockbusters behind him like Wyatt Earp, Any Given Sunday, the brilliant Dragonheart and Flight Of The Phoenix but it's hard to see were his career will go from here. It's been a long time since he has starred as the lead in a big blockbuster but his old movies will always be a joy to watch. This movie was directed by John Lee Hancock who brought you films like the Alamo, the great Blind Side and Saving Mr. Banks so he is known for his biopics. I would have liked to have seen the darker times of Jim Morris so it would have made it seem more real and not a typical happy go lucky Disney movie. With that aside, it is still an unique biopic which would be good if it was made for modern times. Judging by the movies takings, it obviously went down well with the audiences around the world so we are still suckers for the zero to hero concept. Anyway it's definitely worth a watch if your fed up with all the doom and gloom in everyday life but for entertainment and excitement, it's very average.

Budget: $22million
Worldwide Gross: $81million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their sports/drama/family movies about a rookie baseball player who pursues his dreams into the majors after taking a bet. 5/10
August 18, 2015
I've seen this several times and it's an easy to watch, simple and enjoyable baseball film based on a true story.
August 10, 2015
This movie has heart, humor, and brings a great perspective on what it's like to leave your family behind so you can put a roof over their heads.