The Navigators - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Navigators Reviews

November 23, 2015
Very real, very bleak British drama.
June 24, 2015
Remarkable working class heroes drama with adequate doses of humor.The bitter side of privatize
½ September 30, 2014
Movie in the good social tradition of Ken Loach which brings us to the dismantling of the public UK railway system through the decline in the living standard of the workers for the enriching of the owners of the new private companies in the name of the nonsensical liberal capitalism.
December 19, 2013
another winner from director ken loach not one of strongest films but worth a watch
½ November 4, 2013
Typical Ken Loach movie exploring the experience of rail maintenance privatisation amongst a group of South Yorkshire railway workers.
The pseudo-Guardianista political arguements made by Loach ruin yet another movie.
I only found the Sheffield locations and actor Tom Craigs Sheffield Wednesday supporting icons of any real interest.
More to the point why oh why could he do DIY work in a classic 1995 Puma replica shirt?
The 1970s shop floor attitudes of some of the workforce clash with the change of privatisation with devastating results.
The movie has a typical Channel 4 film low budget feel like the privatised companies brought in to modernise a Victorian railway.
½ May 6, 2013
Great film, with interest trade union bits and a bit where the guy stays there doing nothing working out his notice... Anti-capitalist film showing safety being undermined by purist of "quality" through low prices
August 14, 2011
As a former employee of the Electricity company during it's transition from a nationalized industry to a privatized one, i can fully relate to the whole series of events in this movie. It was perfectly acted, from the initial briefing at the start with lots of banter, to the frustration caused by the continuation of changes and expectation of obligations under constantly differing terms and conditions. I myself have found myself being given odd jobs around a dying depot. Having my duties being transfered from me to unskilled others in the name of cost. What results is a lack of foresight, and a cut in the safety procedures that have stood firm for many a decade. This movie exposes everything that is wrong with the privatization of nationalized industries. Watching it, i was brought back to those damp days standing around with my hands in my pockets while management continue to scratch around finding me endless menial jobs of which i had no knowledge. I was Gerry. Maybe not playing chess by myself, but using my days to work on my car and sitting at my desk, reading magazines and books all day. Depressing, this movie is, that how these things are, for people that just want to do their daily graft with colleagues they know and trust, in an environment they are familiar with. Change is implemented too lightly. But more importantly, life as a labourer has lost it's British unity nowadays, where each day you are forced to work unrealistic hours with people, alot from foreign countries, with whom the enjoyment of your day is hindered. This movie touched me personally.
½ August 12, 2011
a solid Ken Loach film. a nice mix of comedy and tragedy with a strong message to the goverment thrown in for good measure.
½ March 5, 2010
A good movie about outsourcing activity in the British Rail and its consequences.
½ December 9, 2009
As good but also as depressing as you'd expect. Felt almost like it had been made in the 80s or early 90s.
June 12, 2009
another bleak picture of 1990's Britain from Director Ken Loach. British Rail has just been privatised and this film focuses on a bunch of railway workers who try to come to terms with new terms and regulations and of course lack of work, identity and for some redundancy. It is very well acted and certainly makes you think and that's no bad thing
June 10, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that vern tracey, thomas craig, steve huison, joe duttie, joe duttine, sean glenn, dean andrews,andy swallows, andy swallow play good roles/parts throughout this movie....i think that the director of this drama/romance/comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its a good movie 2 watch its a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie n its really well filmed/directed...its a good movie 2 watch n its a good movie 2 watch
June 9, 2009
A little one-sided as far as the issues are concerned, but as socialist film-making goes Ken Loach is right on the mark again with his expose of the disadvantages privatisation can bring.
November 20, 2008
Siempre pierden los mismos.
½ October 11, 2008
Appropiate portrayal of a british railworker's teams downfall which ultimately alienates their morals as well. A grim and very realistic view on contemporary British working class. Only watch this, if you are interested in sociological topics.
July 6, 2008
too real, too close to home...
May 5, 2008
I don't think there is a more consistant filmmaker than Ken Loach. And as long as you are in line with his political and social views and don't mind watching films that aren't purely pieces of entertainment then you'll never be disappointed with any of his films. Track workers are the focus this time, with competing capitalist companies the target this time around. The cast fit the style of the film like a glove and Loach's regular technical team again work a miracle.
½ January 27, 2008
Real life effects of privatisation on railway workers and their families, and how the desperation to earn some money can skew values.
December 7, 2007
Si le sujet de ce film concerne la privatisation des chemins de fer anglais, il nous montre surtout la nature de l'etre humain. Ce film est d'actualité pas seulement concernant la SNCF mais sur le simple fait que l'on ne nous laisse plus le choix... En se mettant à la place de chacun dans le film on en retient la violence de la société nous rendant individualiste par le simple fait qu'il faut survivre ou subvenir aux besoins des familles malgré les convictions et nos personnalités. Dur.
November 21, 2007
Comment la privatisation des chemins de fer en Angleterre amène des gars normaux a se conduire de maniere totalement deraisonnee... comment les hommes se voient non maitres de leur destin... film vrai et dur...