Peter Pan Reviews

• May 01, 2019

The 2003 Peter Pan adaptation is undone by its boring second act filled with many uninteresting, frenetic action sequences, but the rest of the movie is solid and in particular the acting performances and characterization are its highlights. It is messy and flawed, but it's at its best when focusing on its strong emotional moments.

• Mar 16, 2019

Very underappreciated, underrated film. A true classic family that ages well.

Very underappreciated, underrated film. A true classic family that ages well.

• Mar 10, 2019

me gustó, tanto como la historia y la actuación...

me gustó, tanto como la historia y la actuación...

• Jan 12, 2019

Spoilers. Very cute. Let's set off with the problematic elements: I'm concerned about the highlighting on kissing being special- youth really shouldn't be exposed to that, nor anybody. Ironically, they make the kids kiss; and its commented in the DVD's specials by Jason Isaacs (Hook/Mr.Darling) "that she's dreading it" (Rachel Hurd-Wood AKA Wendy). There's the (almost) unexplored statement of Wendy being neglected by her mother in favor of her brothers in the opening seen. I say almost because having known that statement it makes scenes of her mother missing Wendy that more touching. I also have absolutely no idea why Tiger Lily kissed John, and there's no reason for that, really. Except maybe toyship fanservice spiced with exoticism. Hook hesitates to kill Peter, which is annoying. "Just slash his neck already" I tell my screen. Also that Parrot really bothered me. I get that the parrots abused, but...I feel like it's trying to take me into the direction that "it's ugly, therefore its evil" rather than it being sympathetic. And heart-pouring pity is the only thing I feel whenever I see it. Which is also close to how I feel for Mr.Darling everytime that poor guy tries to appeak to his boss. Also there's that weird scene between Tinker Bell and the parrot where she starts off by taunting him...then seducing him? Oh, and Tink being played by an adult makes her affection for Peter all the weirder, even if they are both nearly immortal (and immature) beings. Since this film shows several deaths (including blood) and deals with adolescent sexuality, I'm not sure why this was film was rated PG (probably because of its "youthful spirit" and amount of glittery fairy dust and pep), but OK. Another part is the Indigenous American portrayal. Tiger Lily's actress (Carsen Gray) is Indigenous American, and even speaks her Nation's language. But as usual with movies portraying Natives, they make her speak a fake one. At least Smee's translation was realistic to how most translators historically were whenever a Native told someone off. While I (a "savage") think the line John said was funny, I think it's quite interesting that the critics put in a racial slur and kept it at PG. And yes, the film did exoticize Indigenous American culture. And yes, we did see Michael in a warbonnet and making the fake cry. Moving on. The film tries to be feminist, but it isn't. That's all I have to say on it. The last thing I want to criticize is that kids fighting pirates, even with their training in play, is unrealistic. And the sword fighting in general looks strange to me, but that could just be me. Oh, and there's someone in the cast list labelled as "Albino". The things I liked about the movie was its dedication to magic and visuals. Lots of glitter, lots of action, lots of fun CGI, lots of beautiful environment. I like how they seem to have stayed close to the book (based on what I've heard of the book, not on what I've read) and that Peter is (almost) a psychopath. Jeremy Sumpter exudes the rambunctious fair-folkish energy that Peter needs, and I think this movie was very well cast in general. The mermaids and fairies are also fairfolkish, and this delights me. There's a deleted scene that I can't tell whether should have been deleted or not- the ending we got keeps the magic, but the one cut makes for a more satisfying ending. Can't they have been merged? (Not that the deleted scene didnt have faults either, it went a little fast). The story is fine. I feel like more characters could have been touched upon, but Peter and Wendy got the spotlight- and did they use it well! Peter and Wendy have some of the best chemistry I've seen in a ship. The writers did a pretty good job here, as far as Wendy's cleverness and vigor matching up to Peter's and her compassion contrasting him, while his..lack of morality forces her to become more badass and think for herself. Now if only Peter wasn't so sexist, and if only Wendy was allowed by the script to be more badass... On the whole, I was quite charmed by the movie. It has some problematic elements, but while I grit about them here, my actual feelings more the movie are that it was very cute and that I really liked it. It's very pretty, decent story, explores the characters (though not enough) and is overall a nice film to be entertained by. I think it would have made a better show, though.

• Jan 05, 2019

Watched it many times and think the film has so many layers to it. What a child might see is very different to an adult. The chemistry between Wendy and Peter is incredible due to the two leads Rachel and Jeremy. Very watchable.

• Oct 03, 2018

B- Whimsical, magical and probably, the best live-action Pan adaptation yet.

B- Whimsical, magical and probably, the best live-action Pan adaptation yet.

• Sep 02, 2018

My grandkids LOVE this film, and so do I. As a hospice worker, I find this film full of heart, especially for those whose much loved child will never grow up. It is dedicated to the late Dodi Al Fayed.

• Apr 11, 2018

In love with this movie.

In love with this movie.

• Apr 08, 2018

A fun, fantastic film with a surprising amount of psychologically complex ideas that give the characters and the world a lot of depth.

• Apr 02, 2018

One of my favourite movies as a kid, I watched it all the time on long car trips, always makes me cry.