Peter Pan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Peter Pan Reviews

½ January 2, 2018
enjoyable family movie of this classic tale
December 19, 2017
The Movie That Will Fly You Away
"Once upon a time there was a boy named Peter Pan, who decided not to grow up. So, he flew away to Neverland, where the pirates are." The young protagonist of this movie, Peter Pan wants to be a kid forever so, on this became real for him.
This 2003 tear fantasy movie is a great film for all the family. It's an epic adventure that flies you away to another planet, Neverland. Prepare some happy thoughts and accompany this kids on their adventure in this worth watching film.
The principal character of this movie, Peter Pan (played by Jeremy Sumpter) stays young while he is on Neverland. A place where pirates, mermaids, Indians, fairies and the lost boys live. He lives on a secret place with the six lost boys (Nibs, Curly, Tootles, Slightly and the twins). Peter, is on a constant fight with the leader of the pirates, Captain Hook.
Wendy is a young girl (played by the actress Rachel Hurd-Wood) that lives on England with her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Darlin. She likes telling bedtime stories to her brothers John and Michael. Peter Pan constantly travels just to hear the stories Wendy liked telling her brothers. One night, Mr. Darlin had a job party so the kids were left home with their aunt. That night, peter finally spoke with Wendy. He wanted to know the finale of her bedtime stories. Peter convinced Wendy and her siblings to fly away, literally fly away with him to Neverland.
Once they finally arrived, the real adventure began. A place full of mysteries and things these kids had never seen. Wendy had a first love connection with Peter.
When Captain Hook captures John and Michael, the two protagonists go on an adventure to rescue them and defeat the evil Captain Hook who live chasing Pere Pan.
Peter Pan and Wendy had an innocent relationship. Since Peter is a prepubescent he isn't the type to attract ladies. Wendy at one point of this movie Wendy wants to give Peter a kiss and he doesn't know what it is. This represents that child that doesn't want to grow up. This is the main point of this movie. A boy who refuses to grow up.
This movie was produced by Universal Studios. It was directed by the Australian P.J. Horgan, who also directed My Best Friend's Wedding (1997). The writers of the movie were Mr. Hogan and Michael Goldenberg. The film had some magical effects. The fairies were sparkly. The Indians had good outfits and makeup. An interesting fact about this movie is that the Princess Tiger Lily the princess of the Indians on this movie has native American descendance. The mermaids were very terrifying. And not to mention, the pirates with detailed costumes and big ships. All this made the movie great and incredible. The flying scenes were out of this planet. Jeremy Sumpter(peter)went through months of harness and wire training to prepare for this movie. Another fact of this movie is that the actor that played Captain Hook and Mr. Darling were the same person (Jason Isaacs). Mr. darling and Captain Hook have always had the same person play their voices in all the movies. Also, they say Wendy is supposed to see her father in Hook and therefore this is part of the reason why she finds him so fascinating. Another thing about these characters is that one of them is short on qualities the other has in abundance. Hook is all gnash and bluster, while John Darling is so shy, he can hardly talk to himself in the mirror.

Another thing that makes this movie great is the music. The song Fairy Dance by James Newton Howard is played while Peter and Wendy are dancing in mid-air, emulating the fairy ballet, and it gives you a feeling like if you were inside the movie dancing with them. The genres of this movie are: kids and family, science fiction, fantasy and romance. Contrary to popular belief, Neverland does not actually stop the process of aging. Peter leads a crew of boys who refuse to grow up. However, it is only Peter that manages to achieve this goal. We see the desire of Wendy to free Peter form the eternal boyhood. We also can see the envy Captain Hook feels because the affection the two kids have.

This movie show how important family and friends can be on our life. They have an important influence in our decisions through our life. If a child is left alone, like Peter on this movie it can be a difficult life for them.
So, what are you waiting for? Go watch right now this magical adventure movie and find out how this great movie ends.
½ November 1, 2017
I really liked this movie, they take it seriously. There's almost a psychotic side to be a boy forever in a world controlled by him.
½ October 8, 2017
I actually really like this adaptation of Peter Pan. I'm apparently the only person who knows this is an adaptation of the classic J.M. Barrie tale and not a loose remake of the racist Disney movie from the '50s. Some of the special effects look dated today but, then again, it's 2003 so I can't expect them to stand the test of time unlike those of The Matrix sequels. Although I really enjoyed that shadow thing they pulled off early on in the movie. Probably some of the most difficult special effects ever. Jeremy Sumpter performs well as the titular character and I don't mind him having an American accent. Besides, I don't remember anyone freaking out about the Disney Pan having an American accent. One thing I really liked about this movie though was James Newton Howard's score. Truth be told, this was one of the first movies where I praised the movie's music. It also tells a worthy story that might make J.M. Barrie proud. Given my current circumstances, I can relate to the growing up theme and how at first the idea sounds frightening but then I realize I just didn't feel ready and have now accepted that I'll have to grow up whether I like it or not. The psychological complexity, man. Jason Isaacs performs a compelling Captain Hook and for some reason, I always find it funny to see him shoot one of his minions dead rather casually because of their incompetence. Lovely fight choreography as well. This fantasy movie is one the whole family can enjoy. Kids need to learn that they have to grow up, don't they? I wonder if this movie will help them come to terms with that scary phrasal verb. I think it will. But I'm no psychic who gets everything right, so who am I to blindly assume that? *sigh* see for yourselves. You'll either like it or you won't.
September 3, 2017
Best Peter Pan I have ever seen it is the best.
½ September 2, 2017
Now this was a ok movie I would say
August 1, 2017
Faithful, if unexciting, version of the famous story.
½ June 18, 2017
Simultaneously groundbreaking and remarkably faithful to the classic play. Yet, tonally the film is never more than the sum of its parts, while Sumpter, although physically perfect, just isn't charismatic enough as Peter.
½ June 18, 2017
A Wonderful retelling of a classic story.
½ May 24, 2017
An interesting take on the pan story, even though it doesn't have allot going for it. The mermaids were frightening!
½ May 2, 2017
This is a different Version from the classic one back in 1953 Captain Hook was a good villain in this movie he was creepy and I thought Peter was good at fighting Hook it's a good fairytale adventure to check out
½ April 7, 2017
Uhhh, it's fine, I guess
December 13, 2016
this is exactly the tone I want when they do there live action film. wonderful brilliant and massively underrated film
½ October 31, 2016
Jason Isaacs strong performance is easily the highlight of this film (by the end you'll probably be begging him to rip peter's winy little self in two) while you'll probably want to strangle Wendy (you can analyse her as being of being brainwashed by the morals and opinions of the day, but don't kid yourself, this self obsessed little shit isn't winning over anyone). Sadly besides hook and Smee, who as usual threatens to steal the show most of the characters are pretty one dimensional and some dodgy effects don't help but some dark themes and the aforementioned performances pull this film through.
October 9, 2016
When I was a kid I loved this movie. Seeing it now, it's ridiculous but I still love it. Sure it's random and dialog is weird at times but to me accurately depicts what it feels like to play make believe as a kid. Unlike other kids movies that would tone down the violence and get rid of gore, this movie is not afraid to be violent and have mild gore. This movie does not to treat it's audience lightly. They put in the effort to make something good. And that is what most kids stuff miss. It's a nice fun movie for the whole family.
July 18, 2016
it won't let me watch movies
½ July 14, 2016
Good Peter, effects. Tinker bell was gay, more childish than I wanted, liked the slow dance scene
½ July 4, 2016
super creepy, poorly acting, and it is oddly lacking in color for such a fantastical story, the color palette is mostly grays and dark blues, why is it that everything seems to happen at night time?
June 12, 2016
This is still my favorite rendition of the classic tale of eternal youth, no matter how many I see. Jeremy Sumpter does a fabulous job of portraying the charismatic Peter with that devilishly beguiling smile and twinkling eyes that charm you all the way to Neverland. He and Rachel Hurd faithfully portray the touching, innocent, fragile yet confusing adolescent pining of young love as we watch them ponder the gutwrenching quandary of maturity with all its weighty trappings. The ephemeral nature of childhood and the dangers of the real and imagined world entwine seamlessly in this well done, visually appealing film.This movie is sweet, unapologetic surrender to fantasy that proves you dont have to be a lost boy to believe in faeries.
May 16, 2016
Not bad, but nothing special. Actually, the score is absolutely fantastic, and the acting is pretty good as far as child acting goes for the two leads, especially for this story. There's at least one scene that is breathtaking because of those factors. Unfortunately, aside from those, there's nothing here that I can't just get out of the animated Disney film, or Hook, or even the play. If you have two hours to kill, or if you have kids, or if you just really enjoy this story, I'd say give it a rent and see what you think.