The Punisher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Punisher Reviews

½ July 25, 2016
Back before Marvel decided to take over the box office this film came along, It's not a well known comic plus he's not a superhero more an anti villian, And after some poor reviews I didn't expect much but I must admit I enjoyed it, It's violent, Bloody, Simple revenge plot it could of been better if the film had a darker tone, The humour was ok but not needed, With a strong cast and some good action scenes it was an enjoyable film, Just a poor script and poor acting and silly mistakes dragged it down but it's still better than I thought and as good as it ever was going to be.
½ July 13, 2016
If you like action movies, you must see that film. The main character, Frank Castle is an ex-agent of the FBI that want avenge his family, is a perfect assassin and strategist because in one of the last scenes he could kill a room full of people without he being there. His neighbors are characters comics, but one of them, Dave, is sacrificed for Frank, making the bodyguards of Howard Saint rip out his piercings. The enemy of Frank, Howard Saint is a person without fear to kill someone, although he is only a banker.
July 10, 2016
great action flick. Worth seeing
June 29, 2016
I'm just going to say right off the bat, Punisher: War Zone is better, just being a far more entertaining movie. This adaptation of Punisher tries really hard to be a legitimate film with heart and story, but it just doesn't have the skill to pull it off. I'd say within the first 20 minutes of this movie I realized it was basically a 90s action movie, and once I just accepted that the corniness of the lines and directing charmed me more than annoyed me. I'm not saying it's a great movie, I don't think I can even really call it a good movie, but once I became willing to not take it so seriously I was actually able to have quite a bit of fun with it. And there are still a lot of things I liked in this movie. Thomas Jane is a good Frank Castle, Travolta is a cheesy but amusing villain, I actually liked the weird friendship Castle develops with his neighbors, and the 90s style action and explosions are pretty fun. The movie should have had a better heart, or more gruesome violence, or ideally both. It doesn't, but what it does have is still fun if you approach it with the right mindset.
June 25, 2016
The problem with any screen adaptation of "The Punisher" is how boring of a character Frank Castle is . . . his family got killed so now he kills people, and unlike other hypermasculine power fantasies, this one isn't any fun.
June 24, 2016
Fantastic film it's a shame there was never a sequel to the film could of turned in to a great series
June 14, 2016
It certainly has its moments sprinkled in along the way with all the cheesy dialogue and bad acting. Some pretty solid violence but much like Fantastic Four we still haven't gotten a decent movie out of this character. Dolph was an even worse Punisher in the 80's.
June 13, 2016
This movie is awesome. Thomas Jane is so cool. ^.^
June 2, 2016
quite decent actually. I thought it was gonna be shitty but the acting was better than I expected. Good mix of violence and humor. Better than the Dolph Lundgren version.
May 30, 2016
So freaking cheesy but so freaking fun
April 27, 2016
Thomas Jane physically is Frank Castle but my confusion built as Jonathan Hensleigh decided to take a slightly more comical and light hearted route to tell The Punishers story... Mainly in the form of Bumpo and Spacker's pointless existence. Marvel sure got its foot in. While it remained reasonably entertaining, all I'll remember is the misplaced The Good, The Bad and The Ugly mock scene and someones obsession with Seether's Broken.
April 21, 2016
The best of the three Punishers. In actuality, it's pretty wretched but for some reason I love it.
April 16, 2016
Never completely sure which direction it wants to take, or with what level of conviction it's willing to have.
½ April 9, 2016
Fun movie...maybe one of Travolta's last good flicks and Thomas Jane earned at least a sequel...the one they did do SU(ked
April 4, 2016
This has a great story and cast, particularly Thomas Jane.
March 29, 2016
Underrated movie. Not that it's high art, but nobody did Frank Castle better than Thomas Jane, and the film is completely faithful to the comics. It's campy, it's satirical, it's horrifying, it's depressing and some unique things it brings to the revenge thriller genre: exploring the meaninglessness of revenge, a hero who becomes a murderer of murderers. Yes, you don't like Frank Castle, but that doesn't matter anymore. And yes, everything Castle does is deplorable, but this movie is a tragedy. Most 'by the numbers revenge flicks' aren't tragedies. Another thing is that Frank Castle doesn't believe revenge will bring him satisfaction. This was something special.
½ March 26, 2016
Enjoyed it­???­??╗­???­??╗­???­??╗
March 24, 2016
One star for being so incredibly awful, so unbelievably bad, you keep watching it just to see how terrible a movie can be. It starts bad, & gets worse.
½ March 24, 2016
The titular character's story gets told with enough fashion to know and understand, but it was struggling to hold the heavyweight of the grim and disturbing violence next to the corrupted charm as both changed the film into Marvel's inferior version of the original "Mad Max". (C)
½ March 23, 2016
Oh dear Christ that sucked. Has Thomas Jane ever acted before?