The Punisher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Punisher Reviews

February 7, 2018
Incredibly predictable and stereotypical for this genre, cheesy one-liner's, pretty good action, decent acting, if you accept you now what's going to happen straight from the start it can be pretty fun, don't expect any surprises.
February 4, 2018
By far the best Punisher movie. Thomas Jane brings the perfect amount of emotion to the lead role, and the plot is incredibly strong. However his supporting cast is weak, and the first half hour is kind of boring. Nevertheless an underrated movie that deserves more love.
January 26, 2018
Terrible movie. Right from the start, with the sunny, tropical, beach family reunion setting. Come to think of it, I believe this movie literally takes place in Miami. Holy fuckin hell.

I find it hilarious/tragic that the people behind this actually took many ideas from the Punisher comic books, but they were so obviously clueless regarding comics that they took the worst ideas from the least appropriate version of Frank in the books, which is Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's Welcome Back Frank run. I love Ennis and Dillon on Preacher, and the first volume of their Punisher run is certainly entertaining, but I would never think of showing it to someone that was looking to take The Punisher to the big screen. To someone that was looking for inspiration, regarding the character, the tone, the narrative.

They were probably pointed to that specific version of The Punisher by all the comic book readers that claim it to be the best version of The Punisher on print. While not indicative of the quality of the books (again, they are entertaining and done by a top-notch writer and illustrator), that's somehow like saying Adam West is the best version of Batman. If it's your favorite version, go right ahead and say that. Just don't sell it as "the best version ever". To show you just how ridiculous that claim is, how misguided the people behind this movie were, and why I'm talking so much about a comic instead of the film itself, these are the things they pulled directly from "the best Punisher comic ever":

1. Fat guy and Thin guy: These are actual characters in the "Welcome Back, Frank" books. The tone in them is so far from what The Punisher should be (you have to read that comic strictly as Ennis and Dillon's Punisher, nothing more), that literally on the sixth page Frank is shown pulling the fat guy, who is his neighbor, from the frame of his door where he got stuck in. I'm not joking, look it up. The thin guy also lives there, has even more stupid piercings than the character in the movie, and hangs out on the steps outside of the building where he greets Frank with moronic stoner-teen lines and a thumbs up. The movie, not content with taking these 2 awful characters, that mess with the tone by providing comic relief completely uncalled for in a Punisher story, makes them dance together for no reason, and with no other effect than to distract from the fight with the Russian. That dancing bit isn't in the comic, though. So congrats to the writers for innovating in that respect.

2. The Russian: If this character looks cartoon-like, look up what he looks like in these comics. It is truly a character come to life. That's not necessarily a good thing though, and it makes me understand a lot of visual changes that movies apply to comic book characters. At least he doesn't speak in the movie, or not a lot. In the book he has dialogue that reads like Arnold Schwarzenegger hit his head, gained a thick Russian accent, and lost some significant brain functions. It is incredibly cartoonish, but at least they dialed it down in the movie. Spoiler: In the comic, Frank kills him using a pepperoni pizza and the fat guy. Yup.

3. The bad guys: I never thought about this before, but the greasy goombah look that a lot of the bad guys have in the movie is actually how they look in the comic. Very generic, stereotype mafia Italian dudes with tacky/expensive suits. I'm sure they have better dialogue in the movie though.

The girl is also a character from the books, his neighbor. Though they would have created her anyway for the movie. I have no major complaints about this character, other than there is no room in The Punisher's life for romance. He lost his wife, his children. The whole point of this character is him being consumed by vengeance, rage, hate. Frank Castle has no time for small talk with women. For dates. There is no redemption for him, nor does he desire any. Just give him more ammo and let him do his thing. They actually got this right in the comics, as the girl is really homely and Frank never entertains a relationship with her, instead leaving her some money at the end for her to pursue her dream of leaving the violent city.

Leaving everything from this specific comics version of The Punisher aside, that the people in charge tragically chose to incorporate to this movie, it is still a pretty bad movie. The characters, the dialogue, the acting, the story (Castle being an undercover FBI agent) , it is all very poor. Even the way he goes about dispatching his enemies. The manipulation of the main villain into thinking his wife is cheating on him with his number 2, with the pictures and that ridiculousness with the fire hydrant. Frank Castle is a man of action. Of violence. He's not going to drive around with a fucking fire hydrant in a bag to turn his main target's life into a telenovela. He's going to find a way to blast everyone's head off and be done with it. Not to mention the fact that he gets the wife killed in a horrible way, when she has absolutely nothing to do with his vengeance. Ridiculous, completely ludicrous.

Maybe someday we'll get this character done right for film, but for now, it's three strikes.
January 14, 2018
Decent flick. Like Thomas Jane's performance. Solid enough story. Tough and violent for a Punisher movie, but not really over the line. Interesting supporting cast of rejects that live in Frank Castle's building.
½ January 9, 2018
I really liked the movie, the story, and Thomas Jane; however, I did not care for Travolta much.
½ December 27, 2017
This movie isn't better than the 1989 Punisher flick. Boring & Forgettable, I've seen hundreds of better movies, John Travolta was the only good villain & the rest of the villains were trash. Johnny Cash wannabe? Kevin Nash as a Fake Russian? I found the score to be Sad & Depressing, the action was decent. Thomas Jane's delivery on his lines aren't convincing enough, there's a part where he says "I'm already dead" & I didn't buy it, it felt more like an actor playing a dark character, with Dolph's lines & body language he was just Brooding. Not a good film but not the worst film.
December 21, 2017
80s throwback actioner. Entertainingly over top with
Travolta delivering a villain with his tongue firmly in cheek!
½ December 16, 2017
Puntaje Original: 4.5

Muy poco digna adaptación de un superhéroe tan icónico.
November 25, 2017
I love this movie alot! Sad that people don't like this film, it's fun to watch with a friend. 10/10
November 18, 2017
The story is great and Thomas Jane is excellent.
½ November 5, 2017
It's a lot better than its predecessor
November 4, 2017
Realmente no entiendo por qué la crítica destrozó está película, tienen todo lo que tienen las películas de Marvel actualmente, denle una oportunidad a esta película. Narra como un agente del FBI en un operativo mata al hijo de un poderoso mafioso y ente en venganza, manda a matar a toda la familia de Frank castle, este evento lo convertirá en un hombre sin alma llamado the punisher quien ahora solo vive para castigar a quienes le quitaron todo. Pero en su misión de venganza encontrará a 3 personas que lo ayudaran a encontrar su humanidad.
October 18, 2017
Grim, violent, and surprisingly nihilistic for a superhero film. The Punisher manages to bring the character to life while no shying away from showing the darker side of humanity along with pulse-pounding action sequences. It may not be enjoyable to some, it may not be the best film, but it IS a good movie and it is entertaining.
September 18, 2017
Pretty Good Avenging Marvel Comic Film. The Quirky Characters assist with comic relief during the violence of avenging.
September 3, 2017
It is a entertaining revenge flick that is cliche with how it is told and played out. It has some good action scenes with plenty of violence and explosions to go around.
September 2, 2017
Excellent Movie... suprisingly good
½ August 15, 2017
The best thing in this movie was the knife gun!
August 10, 2017
I just saw this movie for the first time today and I look forward to watching THE PUNISHER WAR ZONE tomorrow Personally I think ROTTEN TOMATOES IS ROTTEN. THE PUNISHER IS AWESOME The only didn't like were the fat guy and the skinny guy with the piercings I also didn't like the scene where THE PUNISHER is fighting that assassin and and Joan and her tenants are dancing and lipsyncing to Opera But I LOVED THE FIGHT scene it was AWESOME. I LOVED the part where THE PUNISHER threw a grenade at The Assassin bad he batted it away like a baseballball back at Frank I also liked when Frank shot his knife into the throat of The Guitar Assassin and I LOVED how he framed Quentin and Howard's wife for having an affair and Howard killed them I LOVE THE PUNISHER ROTTEN TOMATOES gives the film a 29% Audience members give it 63% So my solution is to combine the two and give 92%
July 27, 2017
Grade: A. The Punisher just might be the definition of the term "badass"
July 27, 2017
Back before Marvel decided to take over the box office this film came along, It's not a well known comic plus he's not a superhero more an anti hero and after some poor reviews I didn't expect much but I must admit I enjoyed it, It's violent, Bloody, Simple revenge plot it could of been better if the film had a darker tone, The humour was ok but not needed, With a strong cast and some good action scenes it was an enjoyable film, Just a poor script and poor acting and silly mistakes dragged it down but it's still better than I thought and as good as it ever was going to be.