The Punisher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Punisher Reviews

½ November 21, 2016
Just cool! Simple and cool.
November 8, 2016
Violent but not much else
October 25, 2016
Based on the origin story "Year One" and Garth Ennis' "Welcome Back Frank," this sleeper hit is for serious fans of the comic. But those who know little of Frank Castle's comic exploits will still have a blast.

Tom Jane is the Punisher, a tough hero bent on punishing those who murdered his family. Jane reminded me of Clint Eastwood. He's ripped and doesn't say much because he doesn't need to. He's that tough. I'm not a big Travolta fan, but he does good. His character Howard Saint is basically Bruno Costa, the Floridian money launderer from the "Year One" comic origin series.

Without question, "The Punisher" is the best action movie of 2004. I've seen almost every action movie ever made so I'm a pretty good judge. This flick has a solid story, real conflict, and some dark Garth Ennis-inspired humor. If you like tough-guy movies like "Mad Max," "Die Hard" and "Gladiator," this is right up your alley.

This movie was made for 30 million and has made over 50 million. It was also the #1 DVD when released. If you missed it when it came out I highly recommend you rent it....and have fun!
½ September 25, 2016
It may have flopped critically and in box office takings, but this version of the Punisher is my favorite, saved by a over the top fight with the Russian .
½ September 10, 2016
Felt like I was being punished watching this movie. What are you even doing Travolta?
August 27, 2016
Punisher was the first R rated film I saw and it was only a year when it came out and I'm in my mid teen years now. But overall I thought it was good. They had only a little twist on his origin, they did a great job in making you see things from the Punisher's POV. My only complaint is the costume. Why didn't they at least do something like Warzone.
August 20, 2016
The punisher is just a one man wrecking ball and never gets the momentum going to really gain the trademark name. The film feels amateurish at times and only the battle with The Russian really delivering. The real issue is the writing and direction, they seem messed up with one film while attempting to deliver another. Thomas Jane was superbly cast and it's a shame the producers never explored the real character. The film is the strongest when it plays to the characters strengths, the long revenge plot that has Saint killing others just seens dopey and boring. You know the film is dull when Travolta seems bored in a role he normally nails.
½ August 17, 2016
You will feel that the villians get off easy despite their horrible demises after the massacre you witness them preform.
½ August 16, 2016
At the core there is certainly a good story, John Travolta sadly does not deliver as a villain.
½ August 11, 2016
This film gets so much hate. It had one chessy part at the end; The Punisher blows up some cars to make the skull in explosions.. ok that was bad really bad even. The rest of the film though; never have we seen why the Punisher needs revenge. Yeah the beginning is a little stupid but by the time Frank Castles whole family is getting wiped out (one the whim of a mob bosses wive) they don't pull any punches. The scene where his wife and kid get trampled by the vehicle ergh you feel the pain and they tried to keep it rooted in reality bravo. It's brutal its graphic the pacing and tone are just write. (portrayed in fact better than has been done on the Netflix remake series) Who knew Ben Foster would have such a expansive career after this role. I though Rebecca Romain would continue to rise after a solid performance from her too. Travolta does bad; good (like Costner now with the age; these guys make great bad guys). Thomas Jane should have returned for the sequel. The way he goes about his revenge is legit; too some disagree but it needed to be more than just a bullet to the head. He makes the guy kill his beloved wife and best friend that's deep. Then he kills all his henchmen and brings down his empire classic.
August 9, 2016
Thomas Jane is perfect for the role of The Punisher (though he still pales in comparison to Jon Bernthal) and John Travolta makes an excellent villain. The action sequences are awesome, the performances of the majority of the cast is great and the film, while still not quite as good as the Netflix incarnation seen in season 2 of Marvel's Daredevil, is ultimately the best Punisher film out of all three.
jamrcla
½ July 25, 2016
Back before Marvel decided to take over the box office this film came along, It's not a well known comic plus he's not a superhero more an anti villian, And after some poor reviews I didn't expect much but I must admit I enjoyed it, It's violent, Bloody, Simple revenge plot it could of been better if the film had a darker tone, The humour was ok but not needed, With a strong cast and some good action scenes it was an enjoyable film, Just a poor script and poor acting and silly mistakes dragged it down but it's still better than I thought and as good as it ever was going to be.
½ July 13, 2016
If you like action movies, you must see that film. The main character, Frank Castle is an ex-agent of the FBI that want avenge his family, is a perfect assassin and strategist because in one of the last scenes he could kill a room full of people without he being there. His neighbors are characters comics, but one of them, Dave, is sacrificed for Frank, making the bodyguards of Howard Saint rip out his piercings. The enemy of Frank, Howard Saint is a person without fear to kill someone, although he is only a banker.
July 10, 2016
great action flick. Worth seeing
June 29, 2016
I'm just going to say right off the bat, Punisher: War Zone is better, just being a far more entertaining movie. This adaptation of Punisher tries really hard to be a legitimate film with heart and story, but it just doesn't have the skill to pull it off. I'd say within the first 20 minutes of this movie I realized it was basically a 90s action movie, and once I just accepted that the corniness of the lines and directing charmed me more than annoyed me. I'm not saying it's a great movie, I don't think I can even really call it a good movie, but once I became willing to not take it so seriously I was actually able to have quite a bit of fun with it. And there are still a lot of things I liked in this movie. Thomas Jane is a good Frank Castle, Travolta is a cheesy but amusing villain, I actually liked the weird friendship Castle develops with his neighbors, and the 90s style action and explosions are pretty fun. The movie should have had a better heart, or more gruesome violence, or ideally both. It doesn't, but what it does have is still fun if you approach it with the right mindset.
June 25, 2016
The problem with any screen adaptation of "The Punisher" is how boring of a character Frank Castle is . . . his family got killed so now he kills people, and unlike other hypermasculine power fantasies, this one isn't any fun.
June 24, 2016
Fantastic film it's a shame there was never a sequel to the film could of turned in to a great series
June 14, 2016
It certainly has its moments sprinkled in along the way with all the cheesy dialogue and bad acting. Some pretty solid violence but much like Fantastic Four we still haven't gotten a decent movie out of this character. Dolph was an even worse Punisher in the 80's.
June 13, 2016
This movie is awesome. Thomas Jane is so cool. ^.^
June 2, 2016
quite decent actually. I thought it was gonna be shitty but the acting was better than I expected. Good mix of violence and humor. Better than the Dolph Lundgren version.