The Punisher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Punisher Reviews

½ July 22, 2017
We all have seen a revenge flick before, right? While "The Punisher" might not quite come close to (re-)inventing the wheel, it works great within its confines: contrary to the first film, here we get to witness Frank Castle's transformation into the titular vigilante, told in a very captivating way; the neighbors subplot is a lot of fun, offering a much-needed release; and the punishment itself consists not just of great action but also the few crucial cherries on top. A really strong watch.
June 25, 2017
I really liked Thomas Jane as the punisher, I think heīs perfect for the role. the movie though is a mess, it feels like sometimes the director didnīt know the direction the movie was taking, and they did some things just because something thought it would be funny to be in the film, not because the story needed it. and in the middle of the movie, i find it very boring and not so much that could help the story to going forward.
I give it 2 stars because I liked the end, hoped the movie would have been like this since the beginning.
jamrcla
½ June 18, 2017
Back before Marvel decided to take over the box office this film came along, It's not a well known comic plus he's not a superhero more an anti hero and after some poor reviews I didn't expect much but I must admit I enjoyed it, It's violent, Bloody, Simple revenge plot it could of been better if the film had a darker tone, The humour was ok but not needed, With a strong cast and some good action scenes it was an enjoyable film, Just a poor script and poor acting and silly mistakes dragged it down but it's still better than I thought and as good as it ever was going to be.
April 27, 2017
This movie was terrible and good at the same time. The writing, directing, and even the acting was bad. It was also very cheesy and over dramatic at points. But it was still very entertaining to watch because of that and because it's a Punisher movie.
April 17, 2017
one of my favorite Marvel superhero movies and it up there with some of the best superhero movie ever made it better than some of the superhero movies that are getting made to day
April 14, 2017
Loved Thomas Jane in this movie. John Travolta, not so much. The guitar guy and the apartment tenants were cool, but all the other actors gave a half-assed performance.
April 13, 2017
Seriously Underrated. Stylish, Depressing, Thomas Jane is THE Punisher. Funny Moments and Gritty action.
½ March 26, 2017
Oh my gosh, what the hell went wrong with this film!? Sure, some scenes were kinda decent, but for the rest? It felt too cartoonish to pass itself off as an "R" rated Marvel feature! The musical score was out of place! Maybe if it didn't sound like a pink panther tune, this movie could have worked! Even Thomas Janes performance felt a little awkward! And John Travolta? What about him as the villain? He's just playing himself!
This makes me give up hope for Marvel to ever reboot this as a good film!
March 14, 2017
I like Thomas Jane as The Punisher, sue me.
½ February 28, 2017
Grim, violent, and surprisingly nihilistic for a superhero film. The Punisher manages to bring the character to life while no shying away from showing the darker side of humanity along with pulse-pounding action sequences. It may not be enjoyable to some, it may not be the best film, but it IS a good movie and it is entertaining.
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 27, 2017
This Marvel adaptation, made pre-MCU, is a
very much a neutered take on the character. Instead of bloodlust and punishing violence, it's an ho-hum revenge flick.
January 4, 2017
pretty good movie with some cool scenes. felt a but outdated but i still enjoyed it (about 3 viewings)
½ November 21, 2016
Just cool! Simple and cool.
November 8, 2016
Violent but not much else
October 25, 2016
Based on the origin story "Year One" and Garth Ennis' "Welcome Back Frank," this sleeper hit is for serious fans of the comic. But those who know little of Frank Castle's comic exploits will still have a blast.

Tom Jane is the Punisher, a tough hero bent on punishing those who murdered his family. Jane reminded me of Clint Eastwood. He's ripped and doesn't say much because he doesn't need to. He's that tough. I'm not a big Travolta fan, but he does good. His character Howard Saint is basically Bruno Costa, the Floridian money launderer from the "Year One" comic origin series.

Without question, "The Punisher" is the best action movie of 2004. I've seen almost every action movie ever made so I'm a pretty good judge. This flick has a solid story, real conflict, and some dark Garth Ennis-inspired humor. If you like tough-guy movies like "Mad Max," "Die Hard" and "Gladiator," this is right up your alley.

This movie was made for 30 million and has made over 50 million. It was also the #1 DVD when released. If you missed it when it came out I highly recommend you rent it....and have fun!
½ September 25, 2016
It may have flopped critically and in box office takings, but this version of the Punisher is my favorite, saved by a over the top fight with the Russian .
½ September 10, 2016
Felt like I was being punished watching this movie. What are you even doing Travolta?
August 27, 2016
Punisher was the first R rated film I saw and it was only a year when it came out and I'm in my mid teen years now. But overall I thought it was good. They had only a little twist on his origin, they did a great job in making you see things from the Punisher's POV. My only complaint is the costume. Why didn't they at least do something like Warzone.
August 20, 2016
The punisher is just a one man wrecking ball and never gets the momentum going to really gain the trademark name. The film feels amateurish at times and only the battle with The Russian really delivering. The real issue is the writing and direction, they seem messed up with one film while attempting to deliver another. Thomas Jane was superbly cast and it's a shame the producers never explored the real character. The film is the strongest when it plays to the characters strengths, the long revenge plot that has Saint killing others just seens dopey and boring. You know the film is dull when Travolta seems bored in a role he normally nails.