Sky High - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sky High Reviews

½ January 15, 2017
An amazing story with action packed and really fun
November 14, 2016
Exaggeratingly childish. Definitely for the young in a interesting way.
November 14, 2016
antes me gustaba porque era divertida y graciosa,pero ahora es una pelicula media aburrida, la verdad mala parodia,pero no mala pelicula ,si quieres ver una buena pelicula de parodias mira zoolander :).
no es mala,tiene varios momentos divertidos pero no tan divertidos como otras por eso le doy 3 estrellas
November 10, 2016
One of my favorite movies as a kid. Being fascinated with superheroes and comics from a young age, this movie was a good introduction to their movies and seeing my fantasies play out on the silver screen.
October 9, 2016
A fun movie with a lot of heart.
September 8, 2016
It is surprisingly not a parody of superheroes like I thought Sky High would absolutely be.
June 25, 2016
Sky High is an action packed movie about superheroes. When I first saw this movie I loved it and I still love it today. This movie is brilliant and amazing. I would very much suggest this movie.
May 21, 2016
Yeah, it's a film for the little ones, but there's plenty in here for everyone as a kid with famous parents must find his own way in the world of high school. Innocent fun.
½ May 20, 2016
I like this movie. I wonder why it's not praised that much. I mean, it's not one of the best or even original superhero movies of all time, in fact it does have some cliches, but I think it's creative, enjoyable, and fun. The acting is decent, the cinematography is good, the story is interesting, the characters are fun and quirky, and it has good comedy. I definitely recommend Sky High. Sorry I couldn't give a more deep review, but I think it's worth checking out. Again, not really good, but not bad either
May 7, 2016
Forgettable, as I watched it and forgot about it.
January 9, 2016
Four stars for the nostalgia, really, but this film is an interesting superhero tale and one of the best 2000's Disney kids flicks.
January 3, 2016
purely entertaining and surprisingly funny. fantastically executed fluff. also, I don't think anybody dies.
½ December 21, 2015
A very funny, heart warming film with an original idea and fun characters. Highly underrated.
November 26, 2015
A surprisingly fun and humorous look at superhero tropes by way of a high school designed specifically for the gifted vigilantes' offspring. Though some of the humor skews a bit too young and many of the movie's visual effects are dated in the worse way, there's plenty of wit and pointed comic book skewering to go around -- making this one pleasant surprise of a Disney family flick.
November 5, 2015
At Sky High, there are two groups of people. One group is praised, applauded, and noticed, while the other group is obviously not a priority. Students are assigned to one of the two groups during their first week of school. As a freshman, people find out if they are sidekicks or superheroes. Not to any surprise, everyone wants to be a superhero because they are the popular kids in the school. That being said, people don't want to be sidekicks because they are unimportant and considered "unpopular." Will Stronghold, the son of the two greatest superheroes of all time, is a freshman at the school on a rollercoaster journey as he tries to find a place and identity. He starts off as an average student, but the thought of being popular grasps him, and turns him in to someone he really isn't on the inside. In this film we see the themes of "turning down" those who are not important by society's standards, and the dangers of popularity.
Being a sidekick can be compared to someone in society who is not appreciated. Will is not only embarrassed to be called a sidekick, but he dreads the fact that he has to take the "Hero Support" classes. Right away, it is easy to see that the "Hero Support" classes are not the main priority of the school and are joke. The first thing that lead me to believe this was their

classrooms. They looked similar to jail cells with a few posters, and clearly they were outdated. These classrooms not only looked old and beaten down, but they also had the "old school" chalk blackboards. Considering the school has technology that can keep it lifted in the sky, I think administration could upgrade the sidekick's classrooms if they cared enough for these students. The second incident in this film that led me to believe that sidekicks were not important was who the school assigned to teach the class. Watching the teacher walk in to class on the first day in a lame costume made me feel like the class was a joke. The way the sidekicks are treated unlike the superheroes is the perfect illustration to show the theme that individuals in society who lack special skills are unappreciated and disregarded to a lower class.
Watching the fight scene between Will Stronghold and Peace numerous times revealed how some of the main characters felt about popularity and themselves. The first character I noticed was Layla. She is a fellow sidekick of Will's, and her facial expressions show that she cares deeply about Will's safety and overall being. In this scene, she looks genuinely upset for him, and that she wants to help. She ends up helping by throwing him a fire extinguisher to use as self defense. Most of the kids don't want to be involved and chant "fight" because that is the cool thing to do. Layla does not care about popularity, because deep down all she wants if for her friend to be alright. The next character I analyzed was Gwen, one of the most popular girls in the entire school. At the fight she sits back and watches carefully. She wouldn't dare break up the fight or go get help because that could hurt her level of popularity. I also could tell from her body language that she isn't even interested in Will until he reveals his super strength. She becomes interested only because she sees the opportunity to make friends with someone
who will clearly be a topic of discussion now. Reflecting on this scene, I saw two of the main girls react to the situation. Layla forgets about being popular because she cares about the well being of her friend Will, while Gwen sees it as a pathway to becoming more popular. So clearly Layla cares more about Will than Gwen.
In this scene we see a huge transformation of Will as a character. In the beginning of this scene, he looks like he is ready to wave the white flag. He looks scared and unconfident to fight. Will doesn't dare attack Peace, and he keeps running away from the problem at hand. While Peace repeatedly tries to hurt Will, he gets trapped under a table and the only option he has is to pick it up. He does exactly that, and here is where I saw the change in Will due to the fact that he has super strength now. Not even seconds later, we see a new, confident, and cocky Will Stronghold. His facial expressions while holding the table above his head give off the "I am the man" impression. The second he gained his powers, he felt invincible. A few minutes before, Will was running away from the bullies and fights. Then we see him trying to initiate a fight with the two guys who tripped him. After throwing Peace across the cafeteria, he turns to the two bullies and says, "Who tripped me?" This shows up a lot about the "new" Will because he would have never done this before. As the movie goes on, we see Will ditch his old friends because they are holding him back from being popular since they are sidekicks. As I mentioned earlier, the urge to be popular can cause people to do stupid acts. We see Will do an extremely stupid act when he throws the party and takes Glen down to the secret basement. During this scene, we see Will second guess himself. His body language clearly shows that he is hesitant to take Glen down to the basement because his father's one rule is to never take anyone down
there. Wanting to please the most popular girl in the school though gets the best of him, and he breaks his fathers rule. Little did Will know that because of this, his father's most important weapon was stolen from him. After doing a little research in his father's yearbook, he comes to the conclusion that Glen is actually Royal Pain, a supervillain. The interesting part about this scene is that Will looks lost, confused, and alone. This is ironic because Will thought being popular would cause him to have more friends, have a stronger social life, and lack most problems. Another ironic factor is that he used to have this. All of the sidekicks in the past have always been there for him and supported him. Will realizes this, and he starts to second guess his decisions to leave his old friends.
In most cases, a group who works together can be stronger than one individual. Even if that one individual is special, groups can team up and be even powerful. The sidekicks were the perfect example of this because they all worked together to defeat the evil heroes and Royal Pain. This movie also revealed that the idea of popularity is almost reversed. Will thinks he will have more friends and support if anyone knows him, but he ends up finding out that when he needs support most, nobody is there for him in his "popular" group. He also finds out that his hunger for popularity has caused him to do stupid mistakes, loose friends, and become cocky. He didn't think anyone could stop him. Sky high, a fantastic movie for any family, illustrates the dangers of popularity and how society should not classify people as "lower" because they may just be the ones who save the day for you.
November 4, 2015
Will Stronghold. Son of the two most famous superheroes of the time, the Commander and Jetstream. Will, obviously has big expectations to live up to and he has every intention of doing that. Yet he has one problem. He has no superpowers and his first day at his superhero high school is the next day. This family film displays the idea of identity through the use of the colors.
Since the day Will was born, his parents wanted him to succeed. He wanted to take after them and do them proud. One way he does this, whether or not he realizes it, is by wearing certain colors. His parents superhero outfits are red, white and blue, which represents America, and their duty to protect it. The Commander also has a noticeable resemblance to Superman. He has the same hair, with the curl in front and the same glasses as Clark Kent. However, everyday Will always wears red, white and blue. Sometimes, it can be just two of the colors, whether it's a blue shirt with a white undershirt, or a grey shirt with stripes on it. Also Will's backpack is red, white and blue. So everyday Will is making an effort to look more like his parents. Even toward the end of the film, Will's hair changes. At first it is more shaggy and covers his face, but toward the end he keeps it back and shows his face more. This shows he is more confident in who he is, but it also resembles his father's hair more.
The whole film, Will struggles with his identity. Even at the end of the film Will is still wearing his parents colors. Maybe he wants to join the family business and keep the colors that his parents have, but it's still not his own identity. Will struggles to figure out who is real friends are. He goes between two friend groups that obviously do not mesh. Even at the beginning he didn't have any superpowers. He was just an average guy, going to school with above average people. Finally once he does get a super power he doesn't know how to use it properly. Maybe it will take the rest of his time at Sky High but he is on the path to finding his true identity.
Will is not the only one who identifies with colors in the film. Zach has the power to glow in the dark. Now he isn't characterized as a super hero but rather as a sidekick. He glows as a neon green and on a daily basis wears this color. This color represents his need to been seen. He is not one of the best compared to the rest of the kids at Sky High, so this color stands out. When it's dark out, he finally stands out and is noticed by everyone.
Will's best friend Layla has the ability to control all plants. However, she believes only using her powers except when absolutely necessary, so to the Sky High she is a sidekick. Layla displays everyday her love for nature and plants. Every scene, the viewer is able to notice she is wearing green. She is very caring and loving by nature, so it is obvious that she really channels her inner plant. Another character that identifies through her colors is Magenta. At first look, her name is Magenta so it would be obvious that she wears those colors. Which she does wear Magenta in every scene. However, even when she uses her power to shape shift into a guinea pig, she has that color fur. It displays the fact that characters in this film identify through their colors and keep them present in all aspects in their lives.
Sky High is a traditional children and family movie but a non traditional superhero movie. Not only is there one person with good powers, but a whole school of them. This movie shows a young guy struggling to blend in and be like everyone else, while having a lot of pressure on him. Will shows how sometimes you have to make mistakes to fix problems and find out who you really are.
November 3, 2015
Will Stronghold has a completely normal set of anxieties about starting high school. However, he is a not-so-normal teenager attending a not-so-normal high school, which he attends with fellow children of superheroes. Will has a lot to live up to with Captain Stronghold as his father and Josie Jetstream as his mother. From the beginning of the movie, he is pronounced side-kick, and all of his pride is deflated because he cannot carry the family legacy. It's up to him to discover if it was just a fluke and if he's a superhero after all in Sky High. This film carries a strong theme of identity and character development portrayed through cinematography along with the storyline itself. Being a generic teen movie about discovering identity, there is segregation between "cool kids" (the superheroes) and the "uncool" ones (sidekicks). Some breakthrough moments of character development arise when Will admits that he is powerless to his father, when he earns his powers, and when he denies his "cool" crush Gwen and returns to Layla the sidekick, the one who had been there all along. The cinematography and special effects explicitly and impressively add a new dimension of meaning to each scene and aid the portrayal of Will's good-natured character that leads him to perseverance and immense character growth in the long-run.
The main character, Will, is introduced with his eyes looking downward in low lighting. The colors are bland, and as the narrator, he admits that he has no superpowers as he struggles to lift weights in his bedroom. The determination in his face followed by an expression of disappointment and defeated coughs foreshadow the obstacles and challenges that he encounters throughout the movie. Soon before his father walks up to his room to check on him before the first day of school, he hurriedly adds weights to the barbell before his father comes up the stairs to give the impression that he has inherited his father's super-strength. As the scenes transition, the camera is positioned so that the black weight being added to the barbell moves into the camera, engulfing the screen in black. The camera then zooms out of his father's black blazer as he walks away from the camera and up the stairs. This signifies the shadow of his father that he is living in, and the despair that he has not appropriately inherited super-powers.
Steve Stronghold is very much like football movie fathers aspiring for their sons to follow their footsteps and be football stars. One Captain Stronghold's first lines in the movie was, "Will, I just want you to know how proud I am that you'll be attending my alma-mater," laying out his expectations to emphasize the pressure that he's putting on his son. After being pronounced a side-kick at school, Will brought all of his fellow side-kick friends back to his house. When he began to reveal to his father that he was pronounced sidekick and washed out of power placement, the father immediately passed judgement and blamed his son's failure on coach Boomer, a typical sign of denial from frustrated parents. When he was later letting out his frustrations in the secret sanctum while having a talk with Will's mother, he frustratedly remarked, "All I ever wanted for him was to save the world," as he pierced the cue ball with his pool cue, releasing his anger. This completely unrealistic expectation for his son is expressed through his actions as he effortlessly stabs through the cue ball, an inhuman ability. Will initially blamed his lack of power on himself, evident in his facial expressions when his father was present, as he continued to live in his shadow depicted in in the scene above on the right. Another typical behavior of parents who strive for their children to succeed just as they did is to expect them to carry the same drive and passion that they did, and to excel above their peers. Will surpassed his father's judgements and his own frustrations, and moved on with his life. One of the big realizations that Will made in this point in the movie was that "no matter what, either way, I'm proud to be a sidekick. Actually, I'm proud to be hero support."
In compensation for his character growth, Will earned his super-strength. 25 minutes into the film, Will was wearing a blue shirt with a small red stripe on the cuff at the same point in time that he was stressed out and self conscious about his lack of powers. Keep in mind that his own father's superhero outfit was red, white, and blue, and was also seen wearing a red shirt when showing Will the secret sanctum depicted below. Several scenes later, Will gained his power in the lunchroom while he was in a physical fight with Warren Peace. He was shown picking up a lunchroom table with incredible strength, and in this scene his shirt was nearly completely red with a small streak of blue white on the sleeves. There were also rays of light poking from behind him displaying his superpowers and dominance, along with emotional strength gained from growing up and making a difficult transition into high school while accepting his weaknesses and learning from that experience as well. When Will came home from the fight, both of his parents appeared to be disgruntled and talked to him sternly. They knew that he had received his powers, but were more distressed that he nearly destroyed the cafeteria. Will's father ordered him to go to the secret sanctum. Appearing as if he was about to lecture Will, he revealed his utmost pride and even rewarded his son with an Xbox. The color change in Will's shirt symbolizes the confidence and pride that his father developed for him once he earned his powers.
Sky High is an underdog-prominent film that introduces several "unpopular" characters doubted by those around them, all of which end up victorious. A prime example of this is the introduction of the scrawny nerd, Larry. As Will and Layla boarded the bus on the first day of school, the other children asked if Layla was Will's girlfriend. When it was revealed that Layla was not his girlfriend, Larry, the nerdy redhead, confidently introduced himself to her. He said, "Oh, well, in that case... Hi, I'm Larry," and removed his glasses in the most flirtatious way possible. He stood far below her as an undeveloped middle school boy, and she physically looked down on him, just like his peers did symbolically. Then, several scenes later, Coach Boomer was about to decipher if each super-powered individual was a hero or a side-kick. In the gym, all students had to display their powers in front of the entire class, very similar to a typical middle-school gym class scenario. As they began, Larry was the first one to be called up and tested in front of his peers. "Little Larry," as coach boomer mockingly called him as he welcomed him up to the stage. Larry nervously looked around at his peers in his sweater-vest and glasses. Layla remarked, "What's humiliating him in front of everyone going to prove? This is unfair." Will replied, "If life were to suddenly get fair, I doubt it would happen in high school." Stopping them both in their tracks, Larry started to roar, and instantly transformed into a towering stone monster. Seconds later, a car descended from the air, summoned by Coach Boomer, and he generously accepted the car into his arms as a camera shot of all of his peers in fear and awe was projected on the screen. Now he stood high above Layla, and she was even afraid of him as she looked up at him, opposed to the way she looked down at him before. He was then announced "hero."
Larry's example foreshadows the rapid character development that the other sidekicks developed throughout the film as their powers proved to be useful in fighting crime, and goes to prove that the rest of the characters end up proving others' doubts of them to be invalid as the film progresses.
There are evident lessons about staying true to yourself while simultaneously persevering and pushing yourself to be the best you can be. Outward pressures will always be exerted on you, whether it be family or friends. Pressure to improve yourself could be an internal pressure, such as the pressure Will felt at the beginning of the movie when he blamed his lack of powers on himself. Lessons that are learned during this time of personal development and pressure from others are portrayed by color schemes, lighting, camera angles, and other cinematography carefully constructed by Mike Mitchell throughout Sky High. Will was proud to be a sidekick or superhero, and brought all of his fellow sidekicks up with him to succeed in the end when he accepted his weaknesses and continued to strive to be the best version of himself. Keeping Will's situation in mind, you could be the one to bring others up with you to strive for self-acceptance, and remind others to take unrealistic expectations coming from others with a grain of salt. You never know what could happen.