Jarhead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jarhead Reviews

March 12, 2018
I love this movie, it is my favorite marine/war movie.
½ March 3, 2018
I'll say this movie is so far different from war movies I've watched. It depicts the modern drama of the marines, sure enough to be realistic. I loved it
December 10, 2017
Disgraceful. Making the main character unlikeable is a great way to kill a film.
November 22, 2017
Too much overacting! I admire the anti political undertones which they try to establish here, but it's just bogged down by the main character trying way too hard to work with the material that he's been given here.
½ November 13, 2017
I noticed that the reviews for this movie is very divisive. Honestly, I really liked this movie. It is a very realistic marine movie. The directing is very good, the color scheme of the movie, the way how it looks, the tone, and the characters. Especially, the characters. That's what makes this movie really good in my opinion. They got these really talented actors to play some really great characters (based on real people and an actual event, too). Gylleenhaal nails it as always, Foxx is good, Sarsgaard is great, and literally everyone was great in this movie. Overall, it's a good movie.
½ October 2, 2017
The first half is solid, but other than the social aspect of this movie, it ends pretty anti-climatically. The movie is scenic and interesting but nothing really happens, which is interesting because this is a real scenario, but without much actual story.
½ September 6, 2017
The film is well done and the rendering of the boredom, frustrations and absurdities seems accurate. Reminds me when I went to a camp of "Cadets de l'air" as a teen. Never was I bummed and bored so much with so many people. The whole army and war things are such a waste of time and ressources on all sides! War only solves problem by tiring one or both sides. It is not really solving problem. Except maybe putting psychopaths together and against other psychopaths.
½ June 26, 2017
Shows everything it can about the banality and boredom of war, with no reward for any efforts displayed and the end result of broken-glass jarheads that struggle to find meaning for the rest of their lives.
March 24, 2017
Tells the story of a GI in Iraq who doesn't do anything all day because there is no war in Iraq. Hated it. I couldn't make it to the end. Turned it off. A better story that is similar to this movie is 'Buffalo Soldiers' with Joaquin Phoenix.
March 20, 2017
Tries to be a modern war classic (cos' apparently every generation has it's iconic war film). This misses the bar completely. Tries to be across between 'Apocalypse Now' and 'Full Metal Jacket'. Fails.
February 23, 2017
Interestingly, a war film about training for a war that kinda never happens. Fully aware and borrowing heavily from Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket, the cast trains and prepares but never actually see combat. So the film focuses on how frustrating that can be.
½ January 12, 2017
A first person account of a marine unit stuck in Saudi Arabia waiting for Desert Storm to start. The closest they get to war is seeing the charred bodies of civilians incinerated by friendly fire on their way out of Kuwait. It happened.
January 8, 2017
Favorite Jake Gyllenhaal movie!
January 6, 2017
It is competently made and shot beautifully (hats off to Roger Deakins), and the performances are pretty damn solid. But by the end, just like many war movies, it made me go, "Yeah. So?" I liked that its focus wasn't about battle sequences or the usual visceral stuff you get in many war films. All I can say is that it is an interesting film.
½ December 20, 2016
Though it can't help but feel meandering and repetitive at points (perhaps purposefully), Jarhead is a stark, involving drama centering in on one of the less explored aspects of war in cinema- boredom
November 22, 2016
Saw this on 21/11/16
It was good in it's first half, but the second half is too full of situations that are tedious and repetitious. The cast led by Jake Gyllenhaal does good and the cinematography is also fine, but Sam Mendez does not give it the treatment it requires.
½ November 14, 2016
Considering nothing really happens, this is a really entertaining movie.
November 3, 2016
One of the truly greatest war movies simply because of the fact that it really does focus on the psychological truth of the whole thing (although I wouldn't know but it is based on a memoir). This movie also takes the appropriate measures in cinematography to create appropriate moods that coincide with the arc of the story - making this a beautiful movie for it's content and it's aesthetic appeal. The movie can get a little dry for those who are expecting a john wayne classic.
½ September 19, 2016
For those wanting an action movie that feeds the reputation of war will not enjoy this somewhat slow yet enlightening film. Jarhead really shows the political side of war and how unsatisfying it's is to the Marines who give everything and get nothing in return. Great cast and performances all around.
September 16, 2016
One of the worst movies I've seen!!!