Jarhead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jarhead Reviews

½ June 26, 2017
Shows everything it can about the banality and boredom of war, with no reward for any efforts displayed and the end result of broken-glass jarheads that struggle to find meaning for the rest of their lives.
March 24, 2017
Tells the story of a GI in Iraq who doesn't do anything all day because there is no war in Iraq. Hated it. I couldn't make it to the end. Turned it off. A better story that is similar to this movie is 'Buffalo Soldiers' with Joaquin Phoenix.
March 20, 2017
Tries to be a modern war classic (cos' apparently every generation has it's iconic war film). This misses the bar completely. Tries to be across between 'Apocalypse Now' and 'Full Metal Jacket'. Fails.
February 23, 2017
Interestingly, a war film about training for a war that kinda never happens. Fully aware and borrowing heavily from Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket, the cast trains and prepares but never actually see combat. So the film focuses on how frustrating that can be.
½ January 12, 2017
A first person account of a marine unit stuck in Saudi Arabia waiting for Desert Storm to start. The closest they get to war is seeing the charred bodies of civilians incinerated by friendly fire on their way out of Kuwait. It happened.
January 8, 2017
Favorite Jake Gyllenhaal movie!
January 6, 2017
It is competently made and shot beautifully (hats off to Roger Deakins), and the performances are pretty damn solid. But by the end, just like many war movies, it made me go, "Yeah. So?" I liked that its focus wasn't about battle sequences or the usual visceral stuff you get in many war films. All I can say is that it is an interesting film.
½ December 20, 2016
Though it can't help but feel meandering and repetitive at points (perhaps purposefully), Jarhead is a stark, involving drama centering in on one of the less explored aspects of war in cinema- boredom
November 22, 2016
65%
Saw this on 21/11/16
It was good in it's first half, but the second half is too full of situations that are tedious and repetitious. The cast led by Jake Gyllenhaal does good and the cinematography is also fine, but Sam Mendez does not give it the treatment it requires.
½ November 14, 2016
Considering nothing really happens, this is a really entertaining movie.
November 3, 2016
One of the truly greatest war movies simply because of the fact that it really does focus on the psychological truth of the whole thing (although I wouldn't know but it is based on a memoir). This movie also takes the appropriate measures in cinematography to create appropriate moods that coincide with the arc of the story - making this a beautiful movie for it's content and it's aesthetic appeal. The movie can get a little dry for those who are expecting a john wayne classic.
October 5, 2016
Too much overacting! I admire the anti political undertones which they try to establish here, but it's just bogged down by the main character trying way too hard to work with the material that he's been given here.
½ September 19, 2016
For those wanting an action movie that feeds the reputation of war will not enjoy this somewhat slow yet enlightening film. Jarhead really shows the political side of war and how unsatisfying it's is to the Marines who give everything and get nothing in return. Great cast and performances all around.
September 16, 2016
One of the worst movies I've seen!!!
August 28, 2016
If MASH was a drama.
August 23, 2016
Sam Mendes directs an unusual war film set during the gulf war of the early 90's. The story is focused on Anthony swafford who enlists in the marines. Swafford immediately is introduced to the crazy band of soldiers located at a base camp known as "The Suck." He learns how to be best kind of sniper solider from a tough as nails Staff Sargeant. However along with himself the rest of the guys are fighting a battle they didn't expect, a battle against boredom. With no confirmation or go ahead to go to battle the guys find themselves looking for anyway to pass the time while awaiting a chance to fight.
This was very good and really unexpected from Mendes I would have never thought he would make a war film. I don't know much about the Persian gulf war but based off of what I saw in Three Kings it was a unique one. I've never seen a war film like this in my life. It deals with marines who never get to see action on the battlefield. Some films show soldiers who struggle with killing while this looks at soldiers who want to kill who want to fight but don't get the chance. they battle with boredom and being away from home more than the enemy in the middle east
Mendes goes a reeeally different and intense route with his direction here. He gives us intensity in a more emotional psychological manner. he brings out truly resonating performances from the cast Jake Gyllenhaal was really excellent here. Swafford was a really complex character who had so many opportunities come his way but something halted him every time and it gradually wained on him. Peter saarsguard delivers a strong performance here. He's a somewhat mysterious character who experiences the same headaches and boredom as the rest of the guys. Although I doubt this kind of Staff Sargeant exist Jamie Foxx did a really fine job here, Sam Mendes got a nice performance out of him. He plays both an extremely tough solider and a guy who's really at the end of the day trying to keep the heads on these guys shoulders.
techiically the sound editing was pretty good. Great camera work here. Finally overall the film had a fantastic screenplay. Jarhead is a really dope flick that goes a whole other route from other war films.
August 22, 2016
This is an excellent film, solid performances all round & gives a fine view of the real challenges that may face young testosterone fueled men out at war for their first time. Drags in parts and some actors didn't suit their roles, not a huge fan of the ending either - but all in all an excellent watch and a film I highly enjoyed.
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
Not at all what I was expecting, It focuses on the the life of one soldier and his time in Afghanistan, There is no action at all but somehow you get really gripped, It's brilliantly acted, Worth a watch.
May 7, 2016
Jake Gyllenhaal, Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper
½ April 30, 2016
Amazing film and acting. Always enjoy war movies