Glory Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Glory Road Reviews

½ November 17, 2016
Washed over a lot. And didnt care for portrayal of Kentucky as Ultimate Villains
½ October 11, 2016
I loved the 60s aesthetic of the movie and the fact that it's based on a true story made it very enjoyable. The performances were fairly good despite all its flaws.
September 9, 2016
This is s true story. This movie is a good movie and it can teach you how to play and how to get a long with your team. For having it be a true story about College basketball it is a good movie if you are a basketball fan!! It is interesting how the story is true. And it was a funny movie I think and good music to this movie!! See this good basketball movie!! It will blow you a way!! This movie will teach you Not to be racist
March 19, 2016
The only big that I didn't like was the picking of an all black team for the final. Went too far in proving the point.
½ March 4, 2016
"Glory Road" is another sports movie that tackles issues of race. It's the type of movie I can really get into because the subject matter interests me. I think it is a very good addition to movies of this genre.
February 25, 2016
Formulaic as it may be, this rousing, inspiring sports movie is powered by strong direction from James Garner, a driven leading performance by Josh Lucas, and an uplifting subtext about overcoming racism and hatred in the name of love and equality.
½ January 13, 2016
I don't understand why this film in the Disney cannon has been forgotten after the past decade! Yeah, okay, it's "Remember the Titans", but with basketball. It's just that there is something special about this feature which makes it stand out!
November 15, 2015
In my opinion this is the most underrated sports movie. Miracle will always be my favorite sports movie. This, however, is a very close second. The action shots of the Basketball in this movie are exhilarating. The acting is exceptional as well.

Another thing that I praise this movie for is the wa it addresses segregation. It seems that movies about black people recovering segregation is becoming a new genre. However, this movie shows the darker side of segregation. We've all heard about Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, but the truth is that segregation got a lot worse than not letting black people eat at a restaurant or whatever. This movie shows several scenes where the black people fear for their lives. It's also not just about black people overcoming others doubts, but about whites and blacks becoming a team. Not every white person in the 60's was evil, and not every black person was a perfect person.

I was shocked to see it only have a 55% critic score. Obviously some people don't have hearts.
October 15, 2015
Quite a moving and touching film. Really well portrayed by all those involved
½ September 14, 2015
Good heartwarming story that is about as generic a sports movie as you will find.
August 30, 2015
Although the storyline is quite touching, I did find the movie predictable and corny in parts. The fact that it's based on a true story, saved the film but I have seen this type of concept many times before. The movie was released at the peak of heroic sport movies like Gridiron Gang, We Are Marshall and Invicible so it went down well with audiences and it made a healthy profit. Anyway, the film is about a basketball coach, Don Haskins, who is out to find the best players to play for a small Texas Western College. After looking at many players, he finally recruits a few black players to join his team, which doesn't go down well with the people of that state. Whilst out on the road playing against various teams, the players have to go through some gruesome racism which nearly breaks there moral but the tough couch holds the team together and he makes them focus on the things that are important. Against all odds, the successful team changed history by becoming the first all black team to win a championship so it's quite an emotional film, especially the bonus footage of the real Don Haskins. After watching movies like Coach Carter with Samuel L. and Remember the Titans with Denzel, I honestly don't think that Josh Lucas was the perfect choice to portray such a powerful individual. I liked the chemistry between the players and they did pull of some good moves on the court but there's been too many movies after this, that have been a lot better. Average!

Round-Up:
What happened to Josh Lucas's career? At one point, he was in big movies like A Beautiful Mind, the Lincoln Lawyer, J.Edgar and Hulk but he wasn't the leading actor in those films. At 44, he still has a way to go before he becomes a household name but he has a Kevin Costner style of acting which is always needed in movies. As this movie was made under the Walt Disney umbrella, it was obvious that it was going to be a feel good movie that will touch your heart. It's the only movie directed by James Gartner so I can't really compare his previous work to this film. His only experience was on a short in 1983 as a producer so he really hasn't got that much experience in the movie making world. With that in mind, this movie made quite a bit of money at the box office so I'm surprised that he hasn't made any other movies. Anyway, it's a feel good movie about a man who searched for perfection from all of his players, no matter what colour they were and his determination and brutal training paid off at the end.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: $43million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their sports/biopic movies about a basketball coach who hired the first black players to try and get the perfect team. 4/10
½ July 27, 2015
has the unfortunate fate of always being compared (and lacking) against Remember the Titans. still manageable though, but that's just because it's an inherently interesting story - not because of anything Gartner or the actors necessarily brought to it
½ June 11, 2015
Great movie. While it follows the typical underdog formula, it's because the true underdog story it's based on is incredible and inspiring. The film is well-made, well-directed, and one of the things that truly keeps it going is its dedicated performances from its cast, especially Lucas, Luke, Shearer and McAuley.
May 26, 2015
It's always fun to watch Kentucky lose.
May 20, 2015
Seen it already in Remember the Titans...Disney blends sports with racism and expects big money...a big dissappointment.
½ April 20, 2015
Cheesy and forced at times, but somehow these "against all odds" Disney inspirational sports tales always win me over by the end...
March 9, 2015
One of my favorite films, so incredibly heart-breaking with its true story element, and each performance can hit the nerve strong. In my opinion a greatly under appreciated film. A very inspirational piece of work.
½ March 6, 2015
We've seen this done a million times over and there's nothing much new here but it was easy viewing and fairly good viewing so why not eh.
February 26, 2015
An inspiring true story, but as cliche as a story of its kind can be. Nothing special about it, just good.
½ February 14, 2015
Its a pretty ordinary film in truth, but elevated by its story and what it represents.

Clichà (C) to hell too, but if it ain't broke though, why not.