Marie Antoinette - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marie Antoinette Reviews

October 21, 2016
This seemed like Sophia Coppola trying to make a Baz Luhrman film. The beginning of the movie is incredibly clunky as far as pacing goes and at least it got a little better about halfway through but even then the film as a whole can't be saved. The only bright spot was Kirsten Dunst acting her heart out to try and save his film from an even worse rating.
½ September 24, 2016
While the color scheme and music create a modern and unique artistic perspective, the real problem with the film is perhaps how real it actually was in showing how uneventful court life was, which sadly means there really isn't much of a story to tell.
½ September 21, 2016
I'll admit the sets and costumes were gorgeous. However, the characters were emotionally distant and the plot didn't have any structure.
July 16, 2016
Marie Antoinette is a design full of life in sweets, make-up, and bizarre costumes from the doomed queen
½ May 14, 2016
Looks gorgeous; Dunst is uneven but occasionally excellent - and the tease shot with the fan is angelic... Also has Rip Torn, which makes any film better.
May 10, 2016
Sofia Coppola endured brickbats and razzies with her debut stint in 'The Godfather III' only to come out stronger as a director with a unique aesthetic. Apart from her trademark visuals and over the top soundtracks, she has a knack and penchant for presenting loneliness and people in out of place situations that hasn't been bettered before, especially my personal favorite 'Somewhere'.

'Marie Antoinette' is an extravagant venture just as its protagonist, expectedly following a box-office and critical success - 'Lost in Translation'. With no compromises in the costumes, the background locales, the rich interiors or the talented cast, Coppola is armed to present her stylish vision to narrate the story of an equally if not more stylish Austrian-born French Queen Marie Antoinette, aptly casted and brilliantly portrayed by Kirsten Dunst.

The story starts with Marie Antoinette (Kirsten Dunst) being shipped off to France for an engagement with Louis-Auguste (Jason Schwartzman) who is a heir to the throne and eventually becomes Louis XVI. Being a stranger in a faraway land, Marie initially struggles to get accustomed to the traditions, pressure to conceive and being looked as an enemy/spy by some subjects due to on-going tensions between France and Austria. Once settled and with growing number of acquaintances, she embraces the fashion and party scene of Versailles and gets carried away with it. Her public display of extravagance and the diminishing coffers makes her a soft target by the hungry public during the midst of the French Revolution.

Where Coppola succeeded in visual presentation of style and extravagance, she failed miserably in conveying the biography as it should have been. Intentionally or not, the major political events of Marie Antoinette has been conveniently replaced with more party scenes and display of elegant costumes which after a point gets repetitive in a biography especially. Since the story deals with the majority of Marie's lifespan and not just a segment in her life, it was important for Coppola to have included more of her protagonist's political choices into the narrative. Another interesting observation is that the movie never shows common public until the final revolution occurs, which is intelligent - as it makes the audience realize even harder by suddenly seeing soiled hungry people after repetitive partying and costumes and richness.

Kirsten Dunst has fit the role like a glove exuding confidence, charisma and mischievousness necessary for the role and her presence is a major factor into making this movie watchable. Jason Schwartzman has a limited screen-time but does a decent job as the shy confused introvert. There are a number of other actors whose roles are partially developed like that of Duchesse de Polignac by Rose Byrne or Count Axel Fersen by Jamie Dornan and they seem to come and go without making any impact. Coppola is famous for her soundtracks and it was very bold even for her to come up with a contemporary soundtrack for an early modern period drama, but it does sound good with its slick editing and presentation. There are many movies with style over substance, Coppola (after Tarantino) seems to have made it her own with necessary skill-set and creativity to execute it to perfectness.

Stylish and extravagant like the protagonist, but it barely holds the ground with such little substance.
March 17, 2016
way better than what i expected. I loved the art direction
½ March 6, 2016
Stylishly shot and lavish in production values but empty and too long, this biopic of Marie Antoinette is a bit of a dud. Too bad, because I really want to like Sofia Coppola's movies! We should be simpatico and not just because we are from the same generation - she also likes indie rock. Plus, I don't mind style over substance - in fact, excessive style can be a plus (a la Orson Welles). Yet, after The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation, I haven't enjoyed any of her subsequent features. Perhaps they are too dull (Somewhere), insipid (The Bling Ring), or awkward (the mash-up of indie rock and American teen behaviour with Versailles in the 18th century found here). Nevertheless, Kirsten Dunst does have presence and valiantly uses her charm to give the film some spark - but it can't be sustained. Jason Schwartzman is vacuous (presumably on purpose) and Steve Coogan is unfathomably here in a straight role. But there are some great looking shots, sets, and locations.
January 17, 2016
Very much, only really for Sophia Coppola fans. Hyper visual, garish and ugly...and in the very, very best way possible. I ate it up with a spoon!
December 12, 2015
Marie Antoinette is a good film, that explains the life of Marie Antoinette. The movie has good educational value. The soundtrack fits the mood of the scenes. I recommend this to anyone, who enjoys historical films.
October 7, 2015
this movie is amazing and awesome!!!
½ September 17, 2015
Jag hade noll koll på detta rent historiskt så detta var en historielektion men på ett mycket lättsamt vis. Inte så värst lättsamt för Marie Antoinette dock, så sjukt liv egentligen.
½ September 12, 2015
Looks good but the script sure could have used a bit more work.
September 7, 2015
Bold, daring, and visionary. Marie Antoinette is one of the most original period pieces ever made. Every frame could be put on a wall, it's the definition of eye candy. Dunst turns in a deceptively complex performance, able to pull of a character that begins wide-eyed in her young teens, to a disillusioned and weathered adult. It's endlessly watchable, with a smashing soundtrack and typically lavish production.
September 7, 2015
I liked it. Probably wouldn't need to watch it again
August 16, 2015
I am a big fan of these time period movies. My favorite is Pride and Prejudice. The costumes, setting,acting and everything were outstanding in this movie. The music really ruined it for me because it took you out of that time period. It was very distracting! They should have done like Pride and Prejudice and used music from that time period. It would have felt so much more authentic.
August 1, 2015
Sofia Coppola directs Kirsten Dunst in Marie Antoinette: a rich and original historical picture thanks to its fair share of humor and drama that uniquely distinguishes it from other historical works
July 13, 2015
A special epic movie. One of Sofia Coppola's most undoubtly fancy, fantastic and brillant works! Excepcionally amazing.
July 12, 2015
Definitely Kristen's best performance! I loved the movie. I loved Sophia's point of view on her life. Still left me wondering (true or not) and it's the best part. Unbelievable costumes also.