Marie Antoinette - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marie Antoinette Reviews

AmyAmy
½ January 17, 2018
I did not hate this movie. I did not love this movie. To be honest, I knew little of Marie Antoinette (but I googled her after watching the movie, which shed light on the film). Sofia goes more by feel and is more abstract (more a Picasso than a Rembrandt), and wanted the viewer to experience lush excess and excessive material abundance to the point of where everything was sicky-sweet, which was part of Marie Antoinette's world. I also got that among all the cakes and silk and glitter, there was no soul. So we have this summer/winter contrast of rich/lush/sweet against empty/barren/sour. I found her lack of privacy in her dressing her clothes with an audience, and the royal court knowing her sex life interesting and heart-breaking. She had to get rid of her beloved dog. She was only a child! Then her self-absorbed frigid husband who was little comfort to her appears in her life, but wasn't he also practically a child himself? Interesting how he slowly warmed to her as he finally grew up a bit. I think these two children playing prince and princess, then king and queen, had no realization of the world outside their castle, that France was starving. There was no malice, only ignorance that often comes with the stupidity of youth. I did gain insight from this film, perhaps more abstractly.
½ January 15, 2018
Where do I start. My friend and I watched, sadly, this whole movie. We would have stopped early on but we just kept holding on to the hope that it would somehow get better. It did not. I love the story of the French Revolution and the nobles in Versailles and I have a fair amount of knowledge on the topics. But, I did not leave the movie with any new found knowledge. In fact, I think I may have lost a couple of brain cells. If I did not have any prior knowledge then I would have been completely lost and confused. Sure, the imagery and setting were beautiful, hence the half star, but the actually content of the movie was a bath of boredom. The movie would be extremely quiet one moment and then bursting my eardrums the next. This was inconvenient if we wanted to be considerate towards her parents in any way. Overall, I would not recommend this movie to anyone unless if they were willing to waste 2 hours of their life. Disappointing.
January 14, 2018
Blue. Canvas. Hi-Tops. That may be all that really needs to be said. Quirky anachronism is one thing, but heavy-handed farce is another. Wooden acting abounds, accents are arbitrary, Generally good camera work, Dunst, as always, is charming. It's a very pretty film.
January 5, 2018
Remarkable cinematography, filled with rich detail. Kirsten Dunst is magnetic and perfectly cast as Marie Antoinette. Coppola's stylized storytelling has a punk-rock, edgy vibe that contrasts flawlessly with the luxurious and refined lifestyle of 18th century French royalty. Marie was born and bred to be out of touch and indulgent. Coppola presents her glamorous, fairytale, lifestyle as enviable and ultimately tragic.
December 2, 2017
This will always be a five star movie to me.
½ November 21, 2017
Marie Antoinette is directed and written by Sofia Coppola, and it stars Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwartzman in a historical drama about the events that happen throughout Marie Antoinette (Kirsten Dunst). Thanks to A Very Murray Christmas, I got myself right back on topic for watching Sofia Coppola's filmography and managed to rent all the rest of her films that I haven't reviewed except for The Beguiled, which I'll watch that at another time when I finish her other films. So for her third film, Marie Antoinette is a really good film that's just as good as her first one, although not quite as good as Lost in Translation. The acting is very solid, Kirsten Dunst did a great job of being subtle actions that tells us about what her character is like without even telling us about her character by just saying it. The rest of the cast is also pretty good, and there's no weak link here. The costume design is fantastic as it definitely convinces the audience that that was during the 1700s, and it definitely deserved the Academy Award for that. The writing by Sofia Coppola is well done that shows the loneliness of Kirsten Dunst's character, and that everybody keeps telling her what to do to which she has no choice but to do that. The soundtrack, for the most part, is really good, but then when it plays a pop song, it took me a bit out of it because I wasn't really expecting some songs like this in a British period film, and I felt like it didn't necessarily fit with the film's tone. I get that the pop songs represents the teenage life from Sofia Coppola's perspective of Marie Antoinette, but it was a little distracting for me. While I thought the plot was fine as it is, the pacing can be a bit tough to sit through. I feel like this pacing is slower than Lost in Translation because the characters in this at times don't really do much in here other then go to a mash party, do politics, and not talk that much to each other, which can be a bit of a drag to watch. I was still interested in what's going on, but only in a mild sense, and the replay value for me is low. So while this is a different route for Sofia Coppola to take, which I'll give her praise for that at least, Marie Antoinette is not one of her bests, and it's one of my least liked films from her, but I still like what I got out of it, just not going to re-watch this a lot in the future.
½ October 15, 2017
Sofia Coppola counts on us to crave the usual morbid details in the life of the last queen of France, so she can deliver a statement about womanhood which it's both the best and the worst about this depiction; for "Marie Antoinette" it's all about elegance and youth, yet little about historic relevance. Why bother then? Because it can rock for some!
October 4, 2017
One of my most favorite movies
½ September 7, 2017
Juxtaposing a postpunk soundtrack to lush imageries and fashion at Versailles, Sofia Coppola reimagines with contemporary sensibility the legendary days of the titular last Queen of France from her betrothal to Louis XVI at age 14 to the royal Flight to Varennes after the outbreak of the French Revolution.
September 2, 2017
I can not understand the need to do such a movie (and then watch it). Visually it is well done, but what remains behind is an alarming emptiness. The soundtrack is interesting but has no justification for being there, this approach is experimental, but it's an experiment that does not convince. History has no benefit in being told in this way, any documentary can communicate much more. The only salvation that this film has is to be used as a source of stock foutage for documentaries. A wasted opportunity for Sofia Coppola.
July 11, 2017
A very fun and interesting historic film that has a very modern feel to it.
½ June 5, 2017
Easy to spot the movie mistake pair of purple converse sneakers was caught on camera wrong era for them.
May 20, 2017
Sofia Coppola's vision here has certainly improved with age and despite the numerous inaccuracies it's an entertaining farce or sorts. You don't have to like it's deliberately anachronistic song choices or casting but its not fair to completely dismiss the movie because of those elements.
April 28, 2017
Disappointed that Coppolla chose the lavish and beautiful styling of the film to bear more importance over a strong script that delves into the characters depths. Sadly flat all round, despite the beautiful colour, and wonderful Versaille backdrop. We learn nothing of any depth about any characters, feel no empathy or understanding towards them. Fine if she didn't think historian accuracy was important but surely shouldn't we feel something towards the main character? Why was she so hated, were the public too harsh or just in blaming her, there are alot of unanswered questions about the character that I feel Coppolla could have answered/explored. Whether historically accurate or not. A poor offering sadly mainly due to the script, from an otherwise strong cast and production.
½ April 21, 2017
No substance whatsoever
March 20, 2017
Intéressant par ces faits historiques, Mais Sans Plus. On ne s'aventure pas assez profondément sur un sujet, on ne fait que frôler... soit politique, amoureux, .... Tout est annoncé rapidement. Jai dut faire appel à Wikipédia sur certain truc. Déçue de la finale, on ne se rend même pas à son emprisonnement à la conciergerie !
March 1, 2017
i dislike the ending.
February 12, 2017
Wonderfully artistic, not the kind of movie anyone could get
December 12, 2016
I really enjoy this film again and again. It impacts me always, how the royal couple was kept in ignorance. They just had no idea what was going on... And for me this is very plausible. The pictures, the scenes, the costumes are just terrific. It's a very slow film, perfect for a rainy Saturday afternoon. And for me the music is great, it brings the characters closer to us, and adds a strange, but great flaire to the film.
November 27, 2016
Beautiful eye candy, but too contrived a plot for me.