Marie Antoinette - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marie Antoinette Reviews

December 2, 2017
This will always be a five star movie to me.
½ November 21, 2017
Marie Antoinette is directed and written by Sofia Coppola, and it stars Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwartzman in a historical drama about the events that happen throughout Marie Antoinette (Kirsten Dunst). Thanks to A Very Murray Christmas, I got myself right back on topic for watching Sofia Coppola's filmography and managed to rent all the rest of her films that I haven't reviewed except for The Beguiled, which I'll watch that at another time when I finish her other films. So for her third film, Marie Antoinette is a really good film that's just as good as her first one, although not quite as good as Lost in Translation. The acting is very solid, Kirsten Dunst did a great job of being subtle actions that tells us about what her character is like without even telling us about her character by just saying it. The rest of the cast is also pretty good, and there's no weak link here. The costume design is fantastic as it definitely convinces the audience that that was during the 1700s, and it definitely deserved the Academy Award for that. The writing by Sofia Coppola is well done that shows the loneliness of Kirsten Dunst's character, and that everybody keeps telling her what to do to which she has no choice but to do that. The soundtrack, for the most part, is really good, but then when it plays a pop song, it took me a bit out of it because I wasn't really expecting some songs like this in a British period film, and I felt like it didn't necessarily fit with the film's tone. I get that the pop songs represents the teenage life from Sofia Coppola's perspective of Marie Antoinette, but it was a little distracting for me. While I thought the plot was fine as it is, the pacing can be a bit tough to sit through. I feel like this pacing is slower than Lost in Translation because the characters in this at times don't really do much in here other then go to a mash party, do politics, and not talk that much to each other, which can be a bit of a drag to watch. I was still interested in what's going on, but only in a mild sense, and the replay value for me is low. So while this is a different route for Sofia Coppola to take, which I'll give her praise for that at least, Marie Antoinette is not one of her bests, and it's one of my least liked films from her, but I still like what I got out of it, just not going to re-watch this a lot in the future.
½ October 15, 2017
Sofia Coppola counts on us to crave the usual morbid details in the life of the last queen of France, so she can deliver a statement about womanhood which it's both the best and the worst about this depiction; for "Marie Antoinette" it's all about elegance and youth, yet little about historic relevance. Why bother then? Because it can rock for some!
October 4, 2017
One of my most favorite movies
½ September 7, 2017
Juxtaposing a postpunk soundtrack to lush imageries and fashion at Versailles, Sofia Coppola reimagines with contemporary sensibility the legendary days of the titular last Queen of France from her betrothal to Louis XVI at age 14 to the royal Flight to Varennes after the outbreak of the French Revolution.
September 2, 2017
I can not understand the need to do such a movie (and then watch it). Visually it is well done, but what remains behind is an alarming emptiness. The soundtrack is interesting but has no justification for being there, this approach is experimental, but it's an experiment that does not convince. History has no benefit in being told in this way, any documentary can communicate much more. The only salvation that this film has is to be used as a source of stock foutage for documentaries. A wasted opportunity for Sofia Coppola.
July 11, 2017
A very fun and interesting historic film that has a very modern feel to it.
½ June 5, 2017
Easy to spot the movie mistake pair of purple converse sneakers was caught on camera wrong era for them.
May 20, 2017
Sofia Coppola's vision here has certainly improved with age and despite the numerous inaccuracies it's an entertaining farce or sorts. You don't have to like it's deliberately anachronistic song choices or casting but its not fair to completely dismiss the movie because of those elements.
April 28, 2017
Disappointed that Coppolla chose the lavish and beautiful styling of the film to bear more importance over a strong script that delves into the characters depths. Sadly flat all round, despite the beautiful colour, and wonderful Versaille backdrop. We learn nothing of any depth about any characters, feel no empathy or understanding towards them. Fine if she didn't think historian accuracy was important but surely shouldn't we feel something towards the main character? Why was she so hated, were the public too harsh or just in blaming her, there are alot of unanswered questions about the character that I feel Coppolla could have answered/explored. Whether historically accurate or not. A poor offering sadly mainly due to the script, from an otherwise strong cast and production.
½ April 21, 2017
No substance whatsoever
March 20, 2017
Intéressant par ces faits historiques, Mais Sans Plus. On ne s'aventure pas assez profondément sur un sujet, on ne fait que frôler... soit politique, amoureux, .... Tout est annoncé rapidement. Jai dut faire appel à Wikipédia sur certain truc. Déçue de la finale, on ne se rend même pas à son emprisonnement à la conciergerie !
March 1, 2017
i dislike the ending.
February 12, 2017
Wonderfully artistic, not the kind of movie anyone could get
December 12, 2016
I really enjoy this film again and again. It impacts me always, how the royal couple was kept in ignorance. They just had no idea what was going on... And for me this is very plausible. The pictures, the scenes, the costumes are just terrific. It's a very slow film, perfect for a rainy Saturday afternoon. And for me the music is great, it brings the characters closer to us, and adds a strange, but great flaire to the film.
November 27, 2016
Beautiful eye candy, but too contrived a plot for me.
October 21, 2016
This seemed like Sophia Coppola trying to make a Baz Luhrman film. The beginning of the movie is incredibly clunky as far as pacing goes and at least it got a little better about halfway through but even then the film as a whole can't be saved. The only bright spot was Kirsten Dunst acting her heart out to try and save his film from an even worse rating.
½ September 24, 2016
While the color scheme and music create a modern and unique artistic perspective, the real problem with the film is perhaps how real it actually was in showing how uneventful court life was, which sadly means there really isn't much of a story to tell.
½ September 21, 2016
I'll admit the sets and costumes were gorgeous. However, the characters were emotionally distant and the plot didn't have any structure.
July 16, 2016
Marie Antoinette is a design full of life in sweets, make-up, and bizarre costumes from the doomed queen