The Jane Austen Book Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Jane Austen Book Club Reviews

½ August 29, 2016
This was such a wonderful movie! I guess I am just one of those chicks that love Austen and I could imagine being in this book club. The movie combines so many great elements: actors/actresses that I love, books, libraries, romance, comedy, and book discussion.
November 4, 2015
Weak and Boring sadly using Jane Austin's name
½ September 14, 2015
Pleasant, light movie. I enjoyed the camaraderie between the girlfriends and how they reacted/adapted to the new members and different personalities in their book club. In the end it all came together nicely.
August 30, 2015
Loved it...but warning, it's a chick flick.
½ April 21, 2015
Fell asleep half way up to the end.
January 19, 2015
A lot of fun -- Austen as the fix for everything gets a bit mushy at the end, but definitely fun to watch.
December 9, 2014
Heartwarming and insightful! Austen fans should rejoice, this is a great piece of film-making!
October 23, 2014
Formulaic yet Enjoyable...
½ October 20, 2014
A fun, if rather rote, romantic comedy that gets by on the clarity of its characters and the performances from its able cast. Rent it.
½ September 19, 2014
One of the very few chick flicks that I actually enjoy.
September 7, 2014
Good film and a good insight to the books and the author behind them too
July 23, 2014
I don't know how much stars i should be given to this movie cause i still not finish watching it yet, but i like the idea about book club esp when the book that you read matches with the life situation you are in now, just like what happen to the characters in this movie.. Please HBO play this movie again!
July 9, 2014
I love this movie so much! Although I've only read a few of Jane Austin's work, I felt her stories revived within the characters on the film and I must commend Emily Blunt's acting. It was spot on. As the movie came to a fruition, all the dilemmas were resolved which was very satisfying.
July 9, 2014
I love this movie. I haven't read all Jane Austen's novels but I could still see the resemblance between Austen's leading ladies and the ladies in this movie. It was a wonderfully enjoyable movie with a happy ending.
July 6, 2014
Annoyingly optimistic and cringingly saccharine, this is exactly the kind of chick flick that polarises the genders in the audience. The talk in the book club is reminiscent of geeks in a bumptious lit class discussion.
May 27, 2014
I read the book and enjoyed it. The movie is garbage. I could say mkore but that would be giving it more attention than it deserves.
½ April 28, 2014
Because of Becoming Jane is one of my favorite, I'm expecting it to be somewhat relevant. It is disappointing to me as the plot is plain, slow but not touching. Can't finish it, maybe more read on Jane Austen books is required for this movie.
April 13, 2014
Having recently finished a Jane Austen book, I might as well watch this.
½ March 28, 2014
The Jane Austen Book Club is a decent film. It is about six Californians start a club to discuss the works of Jane Austen. Kathy Baker and Emily Blunt give good performances. The screenplay is enjoyable but a little slow in places. Robin Swicord did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor and romance.
February 8, 2014
I just bought the DVD and I loved it! I love Jane Austen and really enjoyed seeing a movie that was centered around her novels. Just a delight to watch!