Changeling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Changeling Reviews

April 23, 2018
a must watch great film
½ April 2, 2018
In 1928, 9 year old Walter Collins disappeared. His disappearance created a lot of bad publicity for the Los Angeles police who were suffering in the press for a host of corruption issues. Anxious to make the case go away, they leaped on a runaway boy found in Illinois who claimed to be Walter Collins under questioning. They brought him to Christine Collins (Angelina Jolie), who immediately denied that this was her son. Police Captain J.J. Jones (Jeffrey Donovan) browbeat her into "trying him out for a few days". Of course this was not Walter Collins, and as the evidence mounted, Christine Collins returned to the police with a ton of physical evidence, only to find herself committed to a mental hospital for being difficult. Clint Eastwood sculpts a decent, workmanlike film that gets a lot of mileage out of the infuriating outrage that this incident generates in any viewer and from good performances from a cast that also includes John Malkovich, Amy Ryan and Colm Feore. It's a tad too long, dealing with additional subplots that seem eminently droppable. The film was originally set to be directed by Ron Howard, which I think provides a perfect illustration of what the film's like.
March 22, 2018
its pretty good movie
½ January 8, 2018
Very touching, and well made.
January 2, 2018
With great performances, elaborate writing, phenomenal costuming and set pieces, and some classic direction, CHANGELING is a feast of a period piece. Clint Eastwood gets everything into this tight direction. Angelina Jolie appears perfectly suited to play a victim of the sanitoriums of the roarin' '20's and her performance as a devastated mother makes her appear suited for motherhood and capable of caring for six children of her own. I mean, this was before her six children I think, but anyway I was convinced. John Malkovich seems oddly placed as a religious leader until he begins speaking on his pulpit against corruption, and later as a supporter of Collin's defense. Jefferey Donovon's sleazy police captain is both hard-boiled as a performance and vile as a character. J.M. Straczynski's plotting is elaborate. Corruption, abusive authority, poor objective scientific application, manipulating truth, and sexism are all social norms in the Los Angeles town in the roaring '20's. In this film, the authority figures seem to have dehumanized themselves in favor of a well-oiled mechanistic society and with their abusive manipulation of public opinion. Anyone with power is hard and obtuse to anyone else's difficulties, while humane treatment and empathy are simply absent to those who've built their fortresses of power and dominance. And if that wasn't enough, true sociopathy is revealed in a serial killer whose demise is rooted in corporal punishment brought over from the Nineteenth Century. I mean, it's well worth the watch, even if it may have a plot hole.
August 6, 2017
A sad film with sad conclusions, but does cover the topic of justice and under covering the truth very well. Eastwood doesn't disappoint here with this exceptional drama led by a stellar performance from Angelina Jolie
June 24, 2017
Perfect story perfect acting.I never tought that i'll love this movie so much.Angelina was perfect,but she can't get the oscar because its Kate's turn :)
½ March 11, 2017
This is a fine movie.

I am not a Jolie fan, but this movie gets better and better as it goes on. At first I found myself waiting for things to happen, as the promos had given away much of the 1st half of the film, however, the 2nd half comes into it's own.

An amazing and terrible tale that is made all the more terrifiying by it being based on a true story.

Clint Eastwood is a genius. His movies are a guarantee of thoughtful and thought provoking topics presented in a meaningful, entertaining and engaging way.
March 3, 2017
A solid if over-long thriller.
February 4, 2017
An interesting true tale retold without insight.
January 18, 2017
When waking up to the sound of someone's words means the world till they go to sleep.
January 10, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 26, 2016
good movie with a good story and a great performance by angelina jolie. very crazy that this was a true story (2 viewings)
December 14, 2016
A great story. A truly Oscar worthy role.
December 9, 2016
Best Angelina Jolie movie.
½ September 22, 2016
First half: a compelling and well-acted mystery melodrama, watching this mother and boy navigate these strange waters is emotionally wrenching. Second half: the character and plot complexities disappear behind forced dramatics and credibility problems. (I think it's time to admit that I'm just not a Clint Eastwood fan.)
½ August 28, 2016
Wonderful acting but definitely hit me hard
½ August 8, 2016
Pretty good, interesting mystery.
½ July 19, 2016
What a difference 8 years makes. This film was positively received at Cannes in 2008. I'm pretty certain it would be laughed out of Cannes today. It is disastrously classical in its composition. 'Bad people' are fought by 'good people' with a nice dollop of 'justice' at the end. Cringeworthy scenes and dialogues are rife; "it gave me something I never had before...hope" followed by "I sentence you to death by hanging" Jolie flinches as the judges gavel is banged down.
I know Ron Howard couldn't direct it, and it seems Clint Eastwood couldn't direct it either. Poor.
July 19, 2016
Wonderful picture, great performance, solid supporting cast. C. Eastwood's fine directing of powerful story yet plot lines seem to collide and overcomplicate picture.