Green Zone Reviews
Green zone is a slow burning bore that never gets out of second gear and is instantly forgettable.
I don't understand some of the hate for this movie. I found it to be a thoroughly entertaining action thriller, with an interesting story, great direction from Paul Greengrass, and a excellent performance by Matt Damon
Two quotes stuck with me from this film:
1) Freddy to Miller: "It is not for you to decide what happens here." I think that's like a reality check. [speaking in the context of the film] The Americans are too caught up with power and the idea they are doing a good thing because democracy is good to really care of the sufferers, the locals.
2) General Al Rawi to Miller: "Your government wanted to hear the lie, Mr. Miller...". For some reason this really stuck me as the truth of our actual society and the whole point of the movie.
1. The Bush administration *did* utilize outdated WMD intel or worst yet, fabricated it in order to justify the invasion of Iraq.
2. The Bush administration did decide to dissolve the Baath party and the Iraqi military, creating a massive power vacuum that was not filled adequately for years.
3. Certain elements of the US military did utilize interrogation and torture methods that would be qualify as war crimes under the Geneva convention.
It is due to these above indisputable facts that this film was successful in conveying its overall message. Sure some of the plot points were far fetched too conspiracy minded but that doesn't discredit the primary plot of the movie. Perhaps the reviewers should dig into their own "political bias" and realize that they are on the wrong side of history here.
I would revisit with different expectations, see if the rating changes for me.
Worth a look.