9 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

9 Reviews

½ June 3, 2017
OK-ish animatronic / animation film about a dim future where all of life has been destroyed except for some humanoid bean bags and a all powerful machine. Mildly enjoyable but unsatisfying at the end.
½ May 21, 2017
I'd go ahead and, by contractual obligations, praise the animation but I'm more enthralled by the film's dark tone clearly deserving of a PG-13 rating. While the story is indeed not really complex and Martin Landau, Crispin Glover and Fred Tatasciore are underutilised, the film remains more than compelling with its creepy atmosphere, menacing villains, stellar action sequences and Shane Acker's direction. The film is pretty much a PG-13 animated movie done right. No salty language, strong/mildly graphic violence or people getting drunk or high since the MPAA only rates the film PG if the characters are acting drunk but didn't actually consume alcohol nowadays. A dark tone, disturbing images including a few corpses of people who died in an apocalypse prior to the film's events and more than a few of the main protagonist's allies are killed, I can't tell you who, but one thing I can tell you is that, while not graphic, they're not pretty sights. Hide yo kids and hide yo wives. Actually, just hide the former. Cause they'll get nightmares. "It's a cartoon about talking sentient ragdolls. How bad could it be?". Oh, you'll see. But seriously, 9 manages to pack a lot of entertainment value within its brief run time and ends beautifully as it shows that there's still hope. You should check it out sometimes. Unless you're under the age of 12, in that case, go watch that cute strictly-for-the-kiddies cartoon over there that's singing happy songs about the world being soft and gentle.
May 20, 2017
Really wanted to like it but the plot holes and contextualization make it less worth the time.
May 16, 2017
I think this movie deserves a lot more credit than being given. Sure it's no cinematic masterpiece like Avatar or Pan's Labyrinth but it's got some great visuals nonetheless.

Super creative with the little details I found as well, like each characters different functionality and their contribution to the story. Also enjoyed the pace of the film right front beginning to end.

It has moments of suspense, loss, fear, heartbreak and triumph. Just a great cinematic experience overall. Worth the watch over and over again.
May 9, 2017
Doesn't deserve a 57%... it should be higher. This was awesome. Go see it
May 9, 2017
A pretty cool animated film. I hadn't heard anything about this film but it was really well done. It's a good scifi film you aught to check it out!
April 24, 2017
It has a great visuals, most of it gothic and steampunk, something that I haven't seen in a movie in my lifetime. Unfortunately, like most promising, yet turned out to be disappointing films, "9" is another perfect example of a project that betrays substance over style. The filmmakers were so invested in the world that they forgot to develop the characters that suppose to make the world come alive. Yes, I enjoyed the film for what it is, but as an aspiring filmmaker, its flaw something that I cannot ignore. Hopefully, whoever makes another one like this, will learn from the filmmakers' mistakes and properly bring out a film that can make us awe and care about the characters as we watch their world unravel.
April 14, 2017
Best
April 9, 2017
I thought the film was very unique. I would like to see a sequel to elaborate on the storyline. It keep my interest and I would watch it again.
½ April 4, 2017
Amazing colors and beautiful animation.
March 26, 2017
Not bad. But it would've benefited from more backstory and a less rushed ending.

Pretty interesting concept. Made me think of Harry Potter and Voldemort's horcruxes with the idea of splitting one's soul. At least in this scenario murdering innocents isn't a necessity.

Really good animations. Impressive action filled with "holy shit did that just happen" moments. But it's lacking characterization, backstory, and it was about 30 minutes too short.

If you're interested in post-apocalyptic movies, this is an intriguing one. Not spectacular but worth the watch.
½ March 24, 2017
A dark and beautifully animated film, but lacking a concrete story and meaningful character development.

The time is the too-near future. Powered and enabled by the invention known as the Great Machine, the world's machines have turned on mankind and sparked social unrest, decimating the human population before being largely shut down. But, as our world fell to pieces, a mission began to salvage the legacy of civilization; a group of small creations was given the spark of life by a scientist in the final days of humanity, and they continue to exist post-apocalypse.

If anything, this film looks beautiful. I think this animation looks amazing, especially for a film that's reaching a decades age. I applaud Tim Burton, Shane Acker, the animation team, and everyone else who helped with the visuals. This film looks better than most animations these days. I love the look of the environment and the precise detail of the characters are fantastic. If anything, this film is visually spectacular.

As for the story, this film has a really interesting premise, and one that's darker than your traditional animation. As for the actual execution, there's a lot of things this film could've improved on. With such a short run time, it felt like this film was rushing the story along way too quick. There wasn't much world building and I would've loved to learn more about this post apocalyptic world. In fact, I didn't really care what happened here. That's because they move way too quick and it did nothing but hurt this movie.

The character development was also really poor. We don't really learn much about any of the characters, which leads to a lack of connection with them. I could've cared less about what happened to them. They made an attempt to separate the personalities of all the characters and they did do a decent job of that, however, we don't get too attached to any of the characters, so it makes it hard to root for them.

There are some cool moments and some neat shots in this film, but its inconsistency and lackluster execution prevent this film from being something really special.
February 24, 2017
crispin glover is my hero!
January 23, 2017
Visually fascinating, but it's so convoluted and confusing in it's plot that it's hardly worth remembering
January 7, 2017
I need to re-watch this, haven't seen it in a while.
December 10, 2016
Great film, the sgi animation is well done. Still a good movie to watch more than once.
December 4, 2016
not bad to me I like it I could see why people didn't like it
½ November 12, 2016
I really enjoyed this under rated gem. Just watched it today on TV while yes the ending was a little meh, the dark but beautiful visuals, good voice acting from Elisha wood and others, and very tense action all together make a very enjoyable sifi thriller
October 15, 2016
Okay, many people say it's a 3 star rating, but that is not true. this film was overall, the best film of all time, with an amazing soundtrack, great voice acting, decent animation, and an amazing story witch spits on the grave of "Ice Age: Collision course". And the end also makes me cry.
October 15, 2016
Not bad... It was exciting. I guess I really felt like the movie was missing something. Maybe the story could have been developed more...