9 Reviews

• Mar 07, 2021

Genuinely thought this was a fever dream I had and not an actual film. I must admit it made for a very interesting watch.

• Jan 21, 2021

In an alternate 1930s world, a scientist is ordered by his dictator, Chancellor Ferdinand, to create a robot in the apparent name of progress, and so the scientist creates the B.R.A.I.N., a highly intelligent robot. The dictator seizes it upon the scientist seemingly completing it, and turns it into the Fabrication Machine, an armature that can construct an army of war machines to destroy the dictator's enemies. But the B.R.A.I.N. was seized before the scientist could give it a soul, thus causing the Fabrication Machine to decide to exterminate all of Earth's population. The Fabrication Machine reprograms the other war machines to attack humanity, wiping out all plant, animal and microbial life with toxic gas and chemical weapons. On the verge of destruction, the scientist uses alchemy to create nine homunculus-like rag dolls known as "Stitchpunks," giving them portions of his own soul via a talisman he created. He dies upon completion of the final doll. Some time later, the final Stitchpunk, 9, awakens in the workshop. Taking the talisman with him, 9 ventures into the devastated city and meets 2, a frail inventor who gives him a working voice box and is surprised to see the talisman. The last active machine, the Cat-Beast, attacks the pair and abducts both 2 and the talisman. 9 collapses, but awakens in Sanctuary, the tower of an empty cathedral that is home to other Stitchpunks - the dogmatic leader 1, his large bodyguard 8, the cycloptic engineer 5, and the mentally unstable oracle 6. 1 immediately declares 2 as dead, but 9, having seen the condemned factory where the Cat-Beast took him, decides to rescue him. 9 and 5 venture to the factory where they find 2. The Cat-Beast attacks the trio, but are saved by 7, the only female of the Stitchpunks. 9, drawn by curiosity, connects the talisman to the derelict Fabrication Machine, reviving it, and it subsequently kills 2 by sucking out his soul. 9, 5, and 7 manage to escape the factory... Rotten Tomatoes critical consensus states: "Although its story is perhaps too familiar and less complex than some might wish, 9 is visually spectacular, and director Shane Acker's attention to detail succeeds in drawing viewers into the film's universe." Roger Ebert gave the film 3 out of 4 stars, by favorably comparing it to the works of Hayao Miyazaki and saying it is "beautifully animated and intriguingly unwholesome... nevertheless worth seeing". The general sentiment by critics is that the film is "long on imaginative design but less substantial in narrative." Variety's Todd McCarthy says, "In the end, the picture's impact derives mostly from its design and assured execution." This Tim Burton animated film takes inspiration from "War Of The Worlds", but with ragdolls in the centre. The film is based on Shane Acker's Academy Award-nominated 2005 short film of the same name created at the UCLA Animation Workshop. It received generally mixed reviews from critics. "9" is ok, but really nothing special in my book to be honest despite its accolades.

• Jan 04, 2021

I loved all of it up until the ending. I think this would have been a beautiful tragedy with everyone self-sacrificing themselves, and I genuinely thought that's what the movie was telling us was going to happen. Then they completely 180 in the last few minutes and it confuses the entire message they were attempting to set up. Diluting it to "machines bad, humanity good". It was so dang close to being amazing, but I think they remade the ending rushed. Never felt like a movie ending was rewritten because it made the audience sad until now.

• Jan 02, 2021

The atmosphere, textures and characters are captivating. It's a stretch of the imagination but well worth letting yourself get drawn in. Great animation sequences.

• Nov 23, 2020

This looks like a movie Tim Burton would have directed if he was more ballsy, sci-fi centric. The movie greatest thing is how unique it feels among other animation movies, it's just weird this is a Family Animation look and story seems would work better in a more adult oriented animation. The problems I have with the movie is the lack of investment in the characters, due to length of the movie, also the explanation and logic of some key elements of the movie just didn't work for me. At the beginning it seems it was going to rely more on environmental storytelling which would have been more interesting to see. Robot creatures designs are very imaginative in a good sense.

• Nov 07, 2020

Now I'm a big fan of this movie but it still has its problems, the animation is pretty good for a 2009 movie however it's story isn't really the greatest and some of the characters are a little generic, overall I recommend this movie and I'd give it a watch, I enjoy it.

• Oct 10, 2020

A very entertaining film, that uses the most of it's premise! A need to watch for Dark Fantasy fans!

• Sep 15, 2020

This is my favorite post-apocalyptic movie. It shows humanity by reducing it to its constituent parts and truly allows the audience to connect with the creatures in a way I didn't think was possible.

• Sep 08, 2020

Al contrario de mucha gente, que critica la trama, me parece que en los escasos 97 minutos que dura "9", consigue introducir un universo bastante completo en el que se incluyen muchos personajes, cubriendo la personalidad y la motivación de cada uno de ellos. Una trama simple pero completa. Lo que peor ha envejecido son los gráficos, que en ocasiones parecen de videojuego de PlayStation 2. Aun así me parece un experimento de terror que ha conseguido salir a flote, aunque podría (y seguramente debería) haber sido mas ambicioso.

• Aug 21, 2020

this movie I loved as a kid, now as I got older I see the amount of cliches and references but I don't really like much, I mean the acting was good, the plot was just meh, not great but not the worst, just meh, the characters I didn't really get to know and they don't build it up well either, I wish this movie did better, all they had to do is make the plot slightly better, that's it.