Puss in Boots - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Puss in Boots Reviews

November 16, 2018
Fast paced, fun filled ride filled with wit and charm
June 26, 2018
Awesome Shrek spin off and so excited for number 2
½ May 18, 2018
Amazingly cute movie
½ April 24, 2018
Very good with nice characters, not as good as Shrek 1+2 though. Haven't watched it in a while though.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
Well, all I can say is well. Not in a bad or a good way, but a eh, way. This movie overall was just average, it had things I liked about it, but its definitely not the best film I've seen this year, even not the best animated film, its just average. Antonio Banderas returns as the character from the fairy tale and from the Shrek series, and he does his fine job as usual, but there are four new characters introduced. Humpty Dumpty, played by Zach Galifinakis (Hangover, Due Date,) Kitty Softpaws, played by Salma Hayek (Frida,) and the two crooks Jack and Jill, played by Billy Bob Thornton and Amy Sedaris. I liked Salma as Kitty, she does a very good job at pulling off her emotions with this character, and how she reacts to puss, and Zach was just okay as Humpty, but Billy Bob and Amy didn't really do it for me. The main problem I have with this film is that its to predictable, it has so many things that we've already seen in other animated movies, and I could practically tell what was going to happen the whole film, which rarely through a loop at me. The humor is decent, the music is great, and the animation is still very good, but that doesn't help the films low entertainment value and some dumb characters. If you like animated films or have small kids, you might enjoy this film, but me I just thought it was an average animated film.

My overall rating

3*s out of 5
March 29, 2018
Beautiful, moving, well paced, appropriate for all.
March 22, 2018
Really good movie! ?ute and advendured!
½ March 16, 2018
This was a charming funny film and kids will like it
½ March 16, 2018
Watched this again today - it's still fantastic!
March 15, 2018
Great movie. Super cuters
½ March 13, 2018
I'TS LIKE MINIONS FROM "DESPICABLE ME", BUT even MORE ROMANTIC
February 16, 2018
I wasn't sure a movie with Puss alone would fly. After all, he needed Donkey as a target. I think it worked well though. I laughed quite a few times and that's really all I was looking for from this movie.
½ December 26, 2017
Worth watching but not a must see film.
½ November 21, 2017
While not as good as Shrek 2, this film has a lot of things that they had charm, wit, adventure, and a fun story. I enjoyed this movie, and I recommend watching it, especially if you love this character.
October 6, 2017
So this movie was not my favorite I did not think there was a lot of action in this movie but hay I laughed some what so it is silly
September 16, 2017
While I love the character, it was fun and entertaining for the first 45 mins or so. The last 30 mins were laboriously slow as it got younger, cornier, and the plot super thin.
½ August 31, 2017
Though the plot is as generic as any other kid flick, but thanks to a well rounded cast and humor, "Puss in Boots" prove that our favorite feline can stand on its own without the help of Shrek and his friends. Think of this as family friendly version of the Indiana Jones franchise, but with fantasy characters instead. Cat lovers will adore this film.
August 16, 2017
The hardcore Shrek fans wanted a Donkey spin-off but DreamWorks is all like "No! You'll get what you're given" and back in 2011, we had this movie since nothing interesting happened in Donkey's life before the events of the first Shrek movie. By all statistical analysis, Puss in Boots should've been a lame cash grab that everyone hated regardless of the Internet saying "It's not ogre. It's never ogre.". And while it seems to be a bit lacking in the irresistible irreverence - ooh, four-letter alliteration, I wasn't even planning on that - that made the first two Shreks big hits in the first place, it manages to avoid the flaws that weighed Shreks 3 & 4. Antonio Banderas' vocal performance as the titular character is great. I wouldn't be surprised if I asked a person "What's the first film that comes to your mind when I say the name Antonio Banderas?" and they answered with either this movie or Shrek 2. The Mask of Zorro was good and all but I think it was forgotten fairly quickly and more and more people are starting to forget that Desperado exists. Hell, Johnny Depp got more screen time than him in Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Yeah, I think this kitty with adorable large eyes is more famous than Banderas nowadays similiarly to Eddie Murphy and Donkey. The visuals are spectacular. Some of DreamWorks' best animation to date. In fact, it even looks photorealistic sometimes. Not THAT photorealistic but I found the rendering to be breathtaking. And there's also a decent amount of jokes and fun action sequences. So, is Puss in Boots a good movie? Yes, it's as good as it gets by creating a visually splendid, briskly paced and humorous, action-packed ride that manages to surpass expectations and be granted the chance to start its own spin-off franchise.
½ June 25, 2017
B-
Puss in Boots was not one of my favorite characters in The Shrek movies. I had no interest in seeing a spinoff star him. This movie surprised me on so many levels. The animation was amazing and the story kept me watching the movie with interest. This movie was excellent and anyone who enjoys Shrek, will love this.