Puss in Boots - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Puss in Boots Reviews

August 16, 2017
The hardcore Shrek fans wanted a Donkey spin-off but DreamWorks is all like "No! You'll get what you're given" and back in 2011, we had this movie since nothing interesting happened in Donkey's life before the events of the first Shrek movie. By all statistical analysis, Puss in Boots should've been a lame cash grab that everyone hated regardless of the Internet saying "It's not ogre. It's never ogre.". And while it seems to be a bit lacking in the irresistible irreverence - ooh, four-letter alliteration, I wasn't even planning on that - that made the first two Shreks big hits in the first place, it manages to avoid the flaws that weighed Shreks 3 & 4. Antonio Banderas' vocal performance as the titular character is great. I wouldn't be surprised if I asked a person "What's the first film that comes to your mind when I say the name Antonio Banderas?" and they answered with either this movie or Shrek 2. The Mask of Zorro was good and all but I think it was forgotten fairly quickly and more and more people are starting to forget that Desperado exists. Hell, Johnny Depp got more screen time than him in Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Yeah, I think this kitty with adorable large eyes is more famous than Banderas nowadays similiarly to Eddie Murphy and Donkey. The visuals are spectacular. Some of DreamWorks' best animation to date. In fact, it even looks photorealistic sometimes. Not THAT photorealistic but I found the rendering to be breathtaking. And there's also a decent amount of jokes and fun action sequences. So, is Puss in Boots a good movie? Yes, it's as good as it gets by creating a visually splendid, briskly paced and humorous, action-packed ride that manages to surpass expectations and be granted the chance to start its own spin-off franchise.
½ June 25, 2017
B-
Puss in Boots was not one of my favorite characters in The Shrek movies. I had no interest in seeing a spinoff star him. This movie surprised me on so many levels. The animation was amazing and the story kept me watching the movie with interest. This movie was excellent and anyone who enjoys Shrek, will love this.
June 4, 2017
Divertido,mas Shrek continua superior
½ May 26, 2017
This was really good! I don't like it as much as Shrek 1 or Shrek 2, but it totally turns Shrek 3 and Shrek 4 into dust.
May 21, 2017
tiene un guion que por momentos la convierte en la mejor película de la franquicia pero también tiene sus altiva- bajos
½ April 11, 2017
I love this movie.
It's essentially the reason I love Dream Works so much.
They're able to balance serious emotions and comedic antics without having one overshadow the other(For the most part,anyway.).
The story is completely unpredictable, the animation is gorgeously detailed and expressive and the characters are lovable.
Sure,it has a few problems like the sometimes annoying comedy and Humpty Dumpty SOMEHOW becoming a king in the last act, but it's stil a great movie and for being such a great movie, it deserves the first ever Glowing Medallion Of Greatness.
A medallion that is offered to movies that appreciate the art of film, and make 90 minutes of your life feel worth it like Moana,Zootopia,Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King and Kubo And The Two Strings.
Story:8|10
Animation:10|10
Characters:10|10
Overall:9.1|10.
½ April 9, 2017
It's a nice change of tone from Shrek but there's nothing about Puss in Boots that really stands out. In fact I found it occasionally flat and dull.
April 5, 2017
Quite good, puss and humpty dumpty on a mission to get the magic beans to go up the beanstalk and get the golden eggs
February 23, 2017
Escaped from the Shrek movies Puss In Boots to put up a good show in their own movie. Classic tales characters are mixed in the same manner as Shrek Brussels, but the background is changed into some kind of Spain and the mix of wilderness. The feel of the threat it strange when she sees talking to the big screen in the egg, but the whole movie is like one of the modern fairy tale. Although the movie has been put Potty-Jack and the Beanstalk fairy tale, which is still spiced golden egg laying and chick size of the apartment building goose, is Chris Miller's post is a skillful and fun. Entertain spectators of all ages well.
January 25, 2017
I much preferred this to the Shrek film that it sprang from.
January 3, 2017
Imogen
An brilliant film with lots of action
½ November 29, 2016
Lovable characters and stylish story.
½ November 4, 2016
It's enough to expand its Shrek universe and embrace its surprisingly charming side-character. Puss in Boots' solid CGI, star-studded voice cast and loveable charm hides the hairball of mishaps in plot that congested the film. 3.5/5
½ August 5, 2016
Puss In Boots deepens the lure of this iconic character from the Shrek franchise and manages to solidify its charm with great visuals and cute cast of characters.
August 5, 2016
A surprisingly fun film which doesn't rely on the success of Shrek to gain its plaudits. Despite spawning from Shrek, Puss in Boots manages to breed it's own world with it's veryown characters. They are very familiar characters but the take on the fairy tales is original and a lot of fun. The script is tightly woven and links together well giving an emotional backstory that is worthy of the required character arcs. The animation is as solid as you expect from Dreamworks as is the A-list voice cast. It is potentially Humpty Alexander Dumpty that steals the show here who is well voiced by Zach Galifianakis. There are stumbles, especially after the halfway mark where it all threatens to fall to pieces but the final act does bring it back on track despite not hitting the initial laugh count. There are laughs, action, fairy tale and darkness and all comes together to make a thoroughly enjoyable film. Shrek it isn't quite but it certainly beats some of the poorer animation efforts.
July 31, 2016
This is good without being spectacular. Funny in parts but not setting me ablaze with laughter, although I can see this really appealing to the younger generation. The animation is World class, the voice overs are very fitting to the characters expressions and it's got a very endearing feel good vibe to it. Based around several nursery rhymes and children's books, it sees the journey of Puss going in search of some golden eggs in order to help restore riches to his home town, and regain his honour in the process. With Kitty soft paws, Humpty Dumpty and Jack and Jill all part of this incredible journey, there is a real mash up of well known adventures. It's humorous without being crude, musical without having any real recognisable tunes, and pleasing on the eye without warranting much repeat value. I was genuinely surprised about the ending in the sense that one character appeared to fall to their death which never really happens in fairy tales, and despite my love for all things gruesome, some times the setting just doesn't lend itself to a bit of horror, no matter how innocent and animated it may be. Pitched as a prequel to Puss' introduction in Shrek 2, this provides perhaps more of a teaser to the main event that's capable of entertaining both Children and adults. Solid movie to keep the kids busy but not diverse enough to really capture my appetite.
½ July 29, 2016
A very entertaining spin-off.
½ July 24, 2016
Whilst not all-around impressive, Puss In Boots is an adventure featuring great screenwriting and animated visuals.
July 9, 2016
muy diveritida, no te vas a aburrir si la ves, la verdad un gran spin-off de shrek.
July 2, 2016
A fast, funny, and, a great animation, With great visuals, some mexican-fashioned action, and an strong Antonio Bandeiras performance, lending your voice, to an reinvented iconic character!