Warrior - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Warrior Reviews

April 22, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 4 | Acting 5 | Cinematography 4 | Film Editing 5

#Visual: Costume Design 4 | Makeup & Hairstyling 5 | Scenic Design 4 | Lighting 5 | Visual Effects 5

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 4 | Sound Editing & Mixing 4

#Overall (1~10): 8
½ April 16, 2017
Just incredible. Gripping performance by Hardy and the rest of the cast. This one will hold you in until the end. A must see.
½ April 12, 2017
When we see we made a new life for ourselves when our old life wasn't taking us places that we lay low and down in the dumps alone. When what we see surprises us lifts us up when somethings return. When we see others have changed, and others haven't changed to see the reason why we return is for some coaching help to get us back on our feet. When we see we can't have any liabilities to see this is only business when we are in the ring. When we see others are no match for us to see can take them down. When we see somethings that we can't help to let them down easy. When we see the good old days of a promising future, to see it is still not too late. When others see a promising future still when they just need better coaching. When we see what we must do to keep ourselves up to knock those down. When we see we provide no matter what when we are desperate to not go down. When we see we can take care of ourselves to see we don't need no hand outs. When we only see what we want and whom can help to see we don't want anything else when they never saw to cared or provide before. When what we see is what we do, when we are used to those seeing us when we teach for a living. When we can't make others see what we do, when they see more then meets the eye to put a stop to what we sre seeing when it gives a black eye to whom we represent. When we see we lived a double life before to see we can balance both. When we see if our profession wasn't in the way we would like to see what we see. When we see no way out of one fight to see there's one way in to another that gets us out. When we see our old methods are tested and true. When we don't want to see any old anything when we dont want to see something's so early. When we can see just about everywhere and evetything in some places when we see ourselves broadcasted world wide when we take down somethings that are good. When we see more then some people, but see one of us that escaped. When we see that we rely on new tested methods to see we get training from those in better shape. When we don't see some people fighting to can't see training when we are old.

When we wished to see others to them not wanting to see us. When we see we are not wanted when we never wanted others. When we see we were never wanted to prove ourselves to be seen and wanted, when we know this business only wants what is good. When we see to taking care of those whom we once used to see to keep a promise to keep seeing them, their family is good when they had saved our life. When we see we are in to remain in when we see we need to train and fight hard. When we see there is buzz around some people we see and dont see to know we are being eyed to win when alot is gambled on us. When we see we get better with time, with the right coaching. When we see we can take care of ourself to see to us winning. When we see we can do alot better if we are in some places to win big. When we see we flown low on the radar to not be seen or known, to not be eyed or gambled on when we see we have a real shot at winning. When what everyone sees too much of is not a good thing, when it could cost us. When we see we have a shot a somethings to do it alone when we see whom we are doing it for but not to involve them. When evetything we see we do has its setbacks & consequences when we could see we lose it all if we lose. When others have nothing to lose, to see they fight to gain. When we see this is a big business event to see the whose who in fighting. When what we can't see we need motivation to strengthen us when it keeps us going and not down for doing other things.

When we see a great scope into somethings what we couldn't see, to see whom some people are and whom they are running from. When we need to see some people to explain, when we need a clean conscience, lift a whole lot of guilt before we see ourselves fight in the ring. When we need to make others see what they haven't seen or what we see to see eye to eye. When what we don't see we don't know, when what others see they know it's not in them to see eye to eye with. When all we see is a reminder of somethings that never cared to see us and rather see it their way and life.

When what we see, we are not blind when we wished we could it our way when life presents us with restrictions we please others that we need to make them see first in order for us to see. When we see the night to see who is the best is here for the world to see. When we see some people come from sad upbringings, come from war zone places, to see it all, but unseen to the world besides those close to them when they are brothers. When we see we came all this way to win and not lose focus. When everything is the same on and off the ring to see the training and the fighting is all the same when it's what we can see and dont see that matters when fighting is a mental and physical sport. When what we see we wished we could be by their side when we rather go our own corner, our own people, our own style to see we care about winning life then everything. When what we see we plan when we know what we must do when we seen ourselves do it in training. When we see we overcome some hurdles and fears to see we can pull through. When we see we appreciated by the crowd, at home, and our people to see we are good. When we see others are no good all day fighting to see others close to us see the same thing when we need to make others see we can knock them down to stay down. When we see others tried their best and need to see us now take care of them to be there. When we see no greater challenge when we come face to face with those seen great. When we see some challenges are not easily won when we have no control of. When we see we do have control of other things when there's a life to look forward to and a life we dreaded coming to see whose life is to change for the good & worse. When we see somethings hit close to home to fight our pasts, fight what we used to see, fight what made us see otherwise why we ought fight for our life in the first place when we are always at war with what we never could see coming from those whom blind us. When we only see we have different lives to see we continue us on with it or begin a new life. When there is no greater challenge to come face to face with ourselves, when we see what we done, how we got here, and see what we must do to not turn back but move forward. When what we see is a full out grudge match when we need to see ourselves overcome such odds. When what we are seeing is once in a lifetime to see it another way and place when we need to see when it's close to home and we are proud of those whom we see. When what we don't see costs us when we see a different person whom is not what we grew up with, to see much ruthless. When we see we need to be by those sides to see they are there to make peace between the two. When we see what is done is done, and can't go back to see ourselves go back to the life we only see and give up without a fight to the end, to begin something else. When what we don't see is what we are left with, this congestion of shit, pant up aggression, blinded by some moments of our life we couldn't see and continuely blinded by those whom makes us blind and losers. When what we see we take home, live out our life the way we see it. When we see we must go home to face what we left behind and leave again the same past that brought us here in the first place.

***************************************************************************
Up bring plays a large part in the constant wars/battles we face. That incalculable feeling of pain we grow up with and evolve that make us greater fighters. Whom would actually win in a fight, those whom are privileged and fight extra harder to keep their lifestyles that way or those less privileged and fight extra harder to change their lifestyle from the way it is. These constant debts we carry forward in our life that make us weak & stronger at times, that once resolved we truly know our fullest potential, but until then we live these constant wars in our head reluctant that it is ever good enough. The way we are born and held to a level of standard, shapes us in who we are throughout life. If we are shown as the winning & betting horse, chances are your devoting all your focus on that horse, and not the other horses.

Theogenes record versus Betthoven
½ April 4, 2017
The sports genre isn't exactly the best genre around. There are some classics like Rocky and Raging Bull but most modern ones seem to have the same problems. They reuse the same clichés, they barely feel original at all, and most of them are predictable from the very start. But every now and then, a good sports movie comes out. Million Dollar Baby was an inspirational movie with a shocking and heartbreaking finale and 42 was well-acted, well-written, and pretty original in terms of clichés. Then there's Warrior.

After ex-marine Tommy Conlon returns home, his father trains him to enlist for SPARTA, the biggest wrestling event in martial arts history. But he finds out that he has to go up against his brother.

This movie contains a simple plot which may not seem too impressive but the way its emotional power moves you is how impressive it is. Both brothers are damaged in their own way and we witness how they cope with their problems throughout the movie. At the end, they finally confront and face off in an unforgettable climax which will blow you away.

This movie is made better by its terrific acting. Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy both give terrific performances. Their performances are emotionally powerful and they engage the viewer to the movie's plot. Hardy may be known for playing Bane but he plays his performance in this movie much better. It's a shame that this isn't the movie which got him famous.

As for the music, the score is really nothing special as it consists mostly of tunes we've already heard of but the soundtrack is the shining part to it. It contains a huge range of note and chords and it perfectly sets the mood for certain scenes. Some scenes like the ending wouldn't be as good without its soundtrack.

As much as I'd like to call this movie a masterpiece, there is only one thing I didn't like about it. I didn't really feel that the military aspect was necessary for 1 reason. It wasn't really necessary for a sports movie given what was going on in it. It felt kind of out of place and it could've been left out. It served kind of as a distraction from the main plot also.

So in conclusion, this is an amazing sports movie which shows that while the sports genre isn't as amazing as it once was, it's not completely long gone. This is an amazing movie. It could've been a masterpiece without the military aspect but it's still definitely worth a watch because of how well-written it is.
½ March 31, 2017
great film but slow going
March 29, 2017
170328: Obviously this film had some money and influential people involved. Sadly, it gets a bit too loose with reality at times sometimes becoming a bit overdramatic. I can see why Dana White is not too impressed. As MMA movies go however, it's pretty decent, probably the best film I've seen on that subject. Filmmakers should get away from tying excuse-laden substance abuse with traumatic experiences.
March 20, 2017
This movie is one of the most under-rated films I have ever seen. Its a movie that moves me every time I watch it!!!
½ March 3, 2017
3 great central male performances but for me they kind of felt like they were all acting in different movies. Nolte does the doe eyed Dad, Hardy the gruff silent rage and Edgerton the struggling Dad trying to do better. Their interactions don't feel believable or real to me though. If you take it on the surface as a corny UFC version of the Rocky franchise it's a very enjoyable film but you feel like they were aiming for something a lot more deep and serious than that.
½ February 27, 2017
This is the best MMA movie I have ever seen. The performances from Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton, and Nick Nolte are all amazing. Gavin O'Connor does a fantastic job at directing this movie. He has learned that yes it is cool to see fighting but if the story behind it is raw and emotional that the fight scenes becomes 10x better. This is more of a family drama than anything. The fight scenes are extremely well choreographed as well. A must see even if you are not the biggest UFC or MMA fan.
½ February 4, 2017
Warrior does take time to reach the gripping moments, by mixing family drama and martial arts genre into one main root which, finally gives rise to suspensive emotions and heart.
January 14, 2017
Pro: very well done, great acting
Con: I hated the father's drinking but I get that it's part of the story
January 14, 2017
I watched this movie after reading a lot of positive reviews. Great movie highlighting MMA training with a decent story to boot. The story is about two feuding brothers fighting in a UFC style tournament for big prize money, both motivated for personal reasons. Each character is very likeable; complex with their own demons. I've seen Tom Hardy in quite a few roles, but this is certainly his most physically intensive. Nick Nolte does a great job as a humble father/trainer; he always finds a way to steal a scene with his great acting talents. I haven't seen Joel Edgerton in a lot of films, but he also has a great and believable performance.

This film has a pretty universal scope, watch it with your buddies or your significant other, or both.
January 11, 2017
An amazing story!! Definitely one of my favorite Hardy's performance.
January 10, 2017
Whoa. Although sentimental along with a bunch of other predictable attributes. The film sent chills up and down my spine with the build up and payoff of the final fight. I also liked how it ended after the fight with no follow up, way better than filming anything at all. Its a touching story about two conflicting brothers and there journey to the finals. I think Tom Hardy and cast display there characters bravely and it's a nice payoff.
January 6, 2017
Dude this movie is awesome. Highly recommend.
January 5, 2017
The best movie of that year, fantastic and moving work from Nolte and Hardy as an estranged father-and-son duo. The fights are well-staged and believable. You will be surprised at the depth all around...
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 2, 2017
Time to review another one of my personal favorite movies, and a film that I believe is incredibly underrated in light of its quality and memorability. Warrior is a Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) film starring Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy, as well as Jennifer Morrison and Nick Nolte, and it tells the story of two estranged brothers (Edgerton and Hardy) as they come together in a worldwide MMA tournament in the fight of their lives.

Now, the most obvious thing one would look at in an MMA movie is the quality of the fight scenes presented, so let's start there. First of all, you don't need to be a UFC aficianado to appreciate the fights or understand what's happening. The film lays out the rules of an MMA fight fairly clearly, without explicitly informing viewers, and follows up with some impressive choreography and stylized fighting. The camera angles and sound editing makes you feel every thump, beat-down, and punch in every fight, and it is exhilarating. The action in Warrior may be some of the best action I've seen in any sports drama, maybe even any action movie. It is well-directed and well-shot, and it's amazing.

The next best thing about Warrior is its cast and their acting ability: their effort gives the film true emotion and heart, allowing viewers to forget about all of the sports-movie-cliches that fill up the movie. Hardy and Edgerton play two brothers, Tommy and Brendan Conlon, respectively, and are excellent in portraying their strained relationship as brothers and their relationships with their loved ones and, especially, their father (Nolte). Nolte provides another memorable performance in the film, conveying a man who is broken but also a man who cares incredibly for his sons and their success as MMA fighters (despite the fact that he's training one to beat the crap out of the other). Another performance I love in Warrior is that of Frank Grillo (Crossbones in Captain America: Civil War). His charismatic, friendly, and motivational personality adds a lot to Edgerton's character and his journey. Other performances in the film, even Kevin Dunn's as the principal of the school Brendan works at, as well as the actors portraying Brendan's students, did fantastic.

This is a short, straightforward review for a very straightforward movie. The point is, Warrior is an excellent sports drama that showcases incredible acting, technical editing, fight scenes, and directing. It's emotional, gripping, touching, heartwarming, and heartbreaking all at the same time. While its story is probably something you've seen done in many sports dramas before it, its effectiveness transcends that fact and pushes it out of the way in glorious fashion. Warrior is fantastic, and it deserves 5 stars.
½ December 26, 2016
A compelling drama that develops well the personalities and motivations of its two main characters - and even though the plot is driven by several coincidences and we know exactly from the start where it is going, we end up rooting and deeply caring for the both of them.
December 25, 2016
Thought i was going to watch a rock'm sock'm movie and ended up walking away with several levels of emotion.

It ranks top ten for me on drama movies all time. Don't let the cover art of mixed martial arts fool you.