Warrior - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Warrior Reviews

½ December 10, 2016
Kind of predictable, and cheesy as hell at times, but not enough to make you roll your eyes and disengage from it emotionally. There are really only two characters here; the rest of the actors seem to have been hired to provide reaction shots. Thankfully Edgerton and Hardy make them interesting enough to watch for almost 2 1/2 hours (!?) without wanting to kill oneself, so that's pretty impressive. Nice ending, too.
December 5, 2016
Thought i was going to watch a rock'm sock'm movie and ended up walking away with several levels of emotion.

It ranks top ten for me on drama movies all time. Don't let the cover art of mixed martial arts fool you.
½ November 18, 2016
4,5/5 Ratings for Warrior
F:82%
R:18%
Fight,Powerful Brothers ..
November 16, 2016
amazingly moving and emotional movie great acting and spectacular fighting scenes.
November 1, 2016
this is an extremely high quality and well made movie. everything is top-notch: acting, directing, emotional depth, intensity, character development, and the story and the way it unfolded. tom hardy is phenomenal as are the other two leads. my only downside with the movie is that it was slow in the beginning but it took it's time setting up the story and establishing the characters (2 viewings)
October 28, 2016
Packs an emotional punch that would make any grown man cry. Powerful, unforgettable, and fun to watch for MMA fans, this can be considered the new Rocky of our generation.
October 17, 2016
Nick Nolte won San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role...why that wasn't an Oscar is ridiculous.
October 17, 2016
Warrior is a story about two estranged brothers forced by circumstance to enrol in to a MMA Cage Fighting tournament. This puts both on a collision course to potentially face each other in an ultimate battle.

Joel Edgerton plays a schoolteacher while Tom Hardy, an ex-marine with a haunting past, plays the younger brother. What sounds like a man-flick full of blood and fists is anything but! There is a decent plot only elevated by incredible performances particularly by the diverse, Tom Hardy. Nick Nolte does his job well as the drunk father who mumbles through his lines and Edgerton, is only overshadowed by Hardy.

With the popularity of UFC, it's no surprise that director and writer, Gavin O'Connor took a stab with bringing a movie like Warrior to the masses and although you may compare it to Rocky, it stands on it's own feet and does it well. The action sequences in the fights are shot remarkably well and forces the viewers to feel!

Warrior is a great cinematic feature with something for everyone and comes highly recommended for all moviegoers.
October 16, 2016
The best movie of that year, fantastic and moving work from Nolte and Hardy as an estranged father-and-son duo. The fights are well-staged and believable. You will be surprised at the depth all around...
October 11, 2016
One of my favorite of all times!
September 23, 2016
Warrior is about two brothers that have grown up through an abusive childhood through mainly their fathers doing, and now are both in a mixed martial arts tournament. Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton, and Nick Nolte were are fabulous in this film. I really bought into the heartbreak and hardships each character has to go through. Their performances carried this film through most of it. The plot wasn't anything too groundbreaking when compared to other boxing movies, but somehow, I was able to really get into the movie despite its cliches and mild predictability. The fight scenes were fantastic, each bout had its own feel and style to it, and there were some brutal looking stunts involved that really helped this film. I can definitely say that Warrior deserves to be right up there with Rock as the great boxing movies ever made
September 10, 2016
Really good film emotional film. The back stories are clearly laid out and whilst that felt a bit prescriptive it gave rise to some really good moments and amazing ending.
September 10, 2016
inspiration for a career I'm chasing. Still my favorite movie.
September 10, 2016
Best sport film i ever saw.
August 24, 2016
- I've now seen this 4 times, and it gets me each and every time. I just love it. The perfect sports movie in my opinion with great performances from all involved and Nick Nolte in particular. A must watch!

- 3rd time watching, I just LOVE this movie, it gets better with each viewing. Definitely better than "Rocky" in my opinion. Check it out!

- Just watched this a 2nd time, and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time. An outstanding film in my opinion with great performances. This one is a must see!

- Definitely one of the best films of the year! I really enjoyed this one, I would be very surprised if it isn't nominated for Best Picture and Best Supp. for Nolte who is outstanding. The film is the "Rocky" for MMA, but better, following two brothers who have their own valid reasons for entering an MMA tournament for the prize money. The movie isn't so much about MMA, as much as family relationships and forgiveness. A must watch!
½ August 19, 2016
Great movie. Was surprised at how much I liked this. Definitely see it.
½ July 21, 2016
My rating may be a tad bloated, but Warrior checks off every need for a great film. Great acting, pure emotion, and authenticity. The MMA is solid too.
July 19, 2016
The sports genre isn't exactly the best genre around. There are some classics like Rocky and Raging Bull but most modern ones seem to have the same problems. They reuse the same clichés, they barely feel original at all, and most of them are predictable from the very start. But every now and then, a good sports movie comes out. Million Dollar Baby was an inspirational movie with a shocking and heartbreaking finale and 42 was well-acted, well-written, and pretty original in terms of clichés. Then there's Warrior.

After ex-marine Tommy Conlon returns home, his father trains him to enlist for SPARTA, the biggest wrestling event in martial arts history. But he finds out that he has to go up against his brother.

This movie contains a simple plot which may not seem too impressive but the way its emotional power moves you is how impressive it is. Both brothers are damaged in their own way and we witness how they cope with their problems throughout the movie. At the end, they finally confront and face off in an unforgettable climax which will blow you away.

This movie is made better by its terrific acting. Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy both give terrific performances. Their performances are emotionally powerful and they engage the viewer to the movie's plot. Hardy may be known for playing Bane but he plays his performance in this movie much better. It's a shame that this isn't the movie which got him famous.

As for the music, the score is really nothing special as it consists mostly of tunes we've already heard of but the soundtrack is the shining part to it. It contains a huge range of note and chords and it perfectly sets the mood for certain scenes. Some scenes like the ending wouldn't be as good without its soundtrack.

As much as I'd like to call this movie a masterpiece, there is only one thing I didn't like about it. I didn't really feel that the military aspect was necessary for 1 reason. It wasn't really necessary for a sports movie given what was going on in it. It felt kind of out of place and it could've been left out. It served kind of as a distraction from the main plot also.

So in conclusion, this is an amazing sports movie which shows that while the sports genre isn't as amazing as it once was, it's not completely long gone. This is an amazing movie. It could've been a masterpiece without the military aspect but it's still definitely worth a watch because of how well-written it is.
July 4, 2016
Relentlessly characterized, surprisingly even-handed, and brave enough to explore the deep roots of family complications, Warrior is as heart-rending as it is successful as a fighting sports movie.
June 28, 2016
Awesome- very good leading actors.