Warrior - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Warrior Reviews

January 14, 2017
Pro: very well done, great acting
Con: I hated the father's drinking but I get that it's part of the story
January 14, 2017
I watched this movie after reading a lot of positive reviews. Great movie highlighting MMA training with a decent story to boot. The story is about two feuding brothers fighting in a UFC style tournament for big prize money, both motivated for personal reasons. Each character is very likeable; complex with their own demons. I've seen Tom Hardy in quite a few roles, but this is certainly his most physically intensive. Nick Nolte does a great job as a humble father/trainer; he always finds a way to steal a scene with his great acting talents. I haven't seen Joel Edgerton in a lot of films, but he also has a great and believable performance.

This film has a pretty universal scope, watch it with your buddies or your significant other, or both.
January 11, 2017
An amazing story!! Definitely one of my favorite Hardy's performance.
January 10, 2017
Whoa. Although sentimental along with a bunch of other predictable attributes. The film sent chills up and down my spine with the build up and payoff of the final fight. I also liked how it ended after the fight with no follow up, way better than filming anything at all. Its a touching story about two conflicting brothers and there journey to the finals. I think Tom Hardy and cast display there characters bravely and it's a nice payoff.
January 6, 2017
Dude this movie is awesome. Highly recommend.
January 5, 2017
The best movie of that year, fantastic and moving work from Nolte and Hardy as an estranged father-and-son duo. The fights are well-staged and believable. You will be surprised at the depth all around...
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 2, 2017
Time to review another one of my personal favorite movies, and a film that I believe is incredibly underrated in light of its quality and memorability. Warrior is a Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) film starring Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy, as well as Jennifer Morrison and Nick Nolte, and it tells the story of two estranged brothers (Edgerton and Hardy) as they come together in a worldwide MMA tournament in the fight of their lives.

Now, the most obvious thing one would look at in an MMA movie is the quality of the fight scenes presented, so let's start there. First of all, you don't need to be a UFC aficianado to appreciate the fights or understand what's happening. The film lays out the rules of an MMA fight fairly clearly, without explicitly informing viewers, and follows up with some impressive choreography and stylized fighting. The camera angles and sound editing makes you feel every thump, beat-down, and punch in every fight, and it is exhilarating. The action in Warrior may be some of the best action I've seen in any sports drama, maybe even any action movie. It is well-directed and well-shot, and it's amazing.

The next best thing about Warrior is its cast and their acting ability: their effort gives the film true emotion and heart, allowing viewers to forget about all of the sports-movie-cliches that fill up the movie. Hardy and Edgerton play two brothers, Tommy and Brendan Conlon, respectively, and are excellent in portraying their strained relationship as brothers and their relationships with their loved ones and, especially, their father (Nolte). Nolte provides another memorable performance in the film, conveying a man who is broken but also a man who cares incredibly for his sons and their success as MMA fighters (despite the fact that he's training one to beat the crap out of the other). Another performance I love in Warrior is that of Frank Grillo (Crossbones in Captain America: Civil War). His charismatic, friendly, and motivational personality adds a lot to Edgerton's character and his journey. Other performances in the film, even Kevin Dunn's as the principal of the school Brendan works at, as well as the actors portraying Brendan's students, did fantastic.

This is a short, straightforward review for a very straightforward movie. The point is, Warrior is an excellent sports drama that showcases incredible acting, technical editing, fight scenes, and directing. It's emotional, gripping, touching, heartwarming, and heartbreaking all at the same time. While its story is probably something you've seen done in many sports dramas before it, its effectiveness transcends that fact and pushes it out of the way in glorious fashion. Warrior is fantastic, and it deserves 5 stars.
½ December 26, 2016
A compelling drama that develops well the personalities and motivations of its two main characters - and even though the plot is driven by several coincidences and we know exactly from the start where it is going, we end up rooting and deeply caring for the both of them.
December 25, 2016
Thought i was going to watch a rock'm sock'm movie and ended up walking away with several levels of emotion.

It ranks top ten for me on drama movies all time. Don't let the cover art of mixed martial arts fool you.
½ December 24, 2016
A movie about family and what's worth fighting for. I encourage everyone to see this movie.
December 22, 2016
What an awesome movie, a must see
½ December 10, 2016
Kind of predictable, and cheesy as hell at times, but not enough to make you roll your eyes and disengage from it emotionally. There are really only two characters here; the rest of the actors seem to have been hired to provide reaction shots. Thankfully Edgerton and Hardy make them interesting enough to watch for almost 2 1/2 hours (!?) without wanting to kill oneself, so that's pretty impressive. Nice ending, too.
½ November 18, 2016
4,5/5 Ratings for Warrior
F:82%
R:18%
Fight,Powerful Brothers ..
November 16, 2016
amazingly moving and emotional movie great acting and spectacular fighting scenes.
November 1, 2016
this is an extremely high quality and well made movie. everything is top-notch: acting, directing, emotional depth, intensity, character development, and the story and the way it unfolded. tom hardy is phenomenal as are the other two leads. my only downside with the movie is that it was slow in the beginning but it took it's time setting up the story and establishing the characters (2 viewings)
October 28, 2016
Packs an emotional punch that would make any grown man cry. Powerful, unforgettable, and fun to watch for MMA fans, this can be considered the new Rocky of our generation.
October 17, 2016
Nick Nolte won San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role...why that wasn't an Oscar is ridiculous.
October 17, 2016
Warrior is a story about two estranged brothers forced by circumstance to enrol in to a MMA Cage Fighting tournament. This puts both on a collision course to potentially face each other in an ultimate battle.

Joel Edgerton plays a schoolteacher while Tom Hardy, an ex-marine with a haunting past, plays the younger brother. What sounds like a man-flick full of blood and fists is anything but! There is a decent plot only elevated by incredible performances particularly by the diverse, Tom Hardy. Nick Nolte does his job well as the drunk father who mumbles through his lines and Edgerton, is only overshadowed by Hardy.

With the popularity of UFC, it's no surprise that director and writer, Gavin O'Connor took a stab with bringing a movie like Warrior to the masses and although you may compare it to Rocky, it stands on it's own feet and does it well. The action sequences in the fights are shot remarkably well and forces the viewers to feel!

Warrior is a great cinematic feature with something for everyone and comes highly recommended for all moviegoers.
October 11, 2016
One of my favorite of all times!