Warrior - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Warrior Reviews

August 24, 2016
- I've now seen this 4 times, and it gets me each and every time. I just love it. The perfect sports movie in my opinion with great performances from all involved and Nick Nolte in particular. A must watch!

- 3rd time watching, I just LOVE this movie, it gets better with each viewing. Definitely better than "Rocky" in my opinion. Check it out!

- Just watched this a 2nd time, and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time. An outstanding film in my opinion with great performances. This one is a must see!

- Definitely one of the best films of the year! I really enjoyed this one, I would be very surprised if it isn't nominated for Best Picture and Best Supp. for Nolte who is outstanding. The film is the "Rocky" for MMA, but better, following two brothers who have their own valid reasons for entering an MMA tournament for the prize money. The movie isn't so much about MMA, as much as family relationships and forgiveness. A must watch!
½ August 19, 2016
Great movie. Was surprised at how much I liked this. Definitely see it.
½ July 21, 2016
My rating may be a tad bloated, but Warrior checks off every need for a great film. Great acting, pure emotion, and authenticity. The MMA is solid too.
July 19, 2016
The sports genre isn't exactly the best genre around. There are some classics like Rocky and Raging Bull but most modern ones seem to have the same problems. They reuse the same clichés, they barely feel original at all, and most of them are predictable from the very start. But every now and then, a good sports movie comes out. Million Dollar Baby was an inspirational movie with a shocking and heartbreaking finale and 42 was well-acted, well-written, and pretty original in terms of clichés. Then there's Warrior.

After ex-marine Tommy Conlon returns home, his father trains him to enlist for SPARTA, the biggest wrestling event in martial arts history. But he finds out that he has to go up against his brother.

This movie contains a simple plot which may not seem too impressive but the way its emotional power moves you is how impressive it is. Both brothers are damaged in their own way and we witness how they cope with their problems throughout the movie. At the end, they finally confront and face off in an unforgettable climax which will blow you away.

This movie is made better by its terrific acting. Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy both give terrific performances. Their performances are emotionally powerful and they engage the viewer to the movie's plot. Hardy may be known for playing Bane but he plays his performance in this movie much better. It's a shame that this isn't the movie which got him famous.

As for the music, the score is really nothing special as it consists mostly of tunes we've already heard of but the soundtrack is the shining part to it. It contains a huge range of note and chords and it perfectly sets the mood for certain scenes. Some scenes like the ending wouldn't be as good without its soundtrack.

As much as I'd like to call this movie a masterpiece, there is only one thing I didn't like about it. I didn't really feel that the military aspect was necessary for 1 reason. It wasn't really necessary for a sports movie given what was going on in it. It felt kind of out of place and it could've been left out. It served kind of as a distraction from the main plot also.

So in conclusion, this is an amazing sports movie which shows that while the sports genre isn't as amazing as it once was, it's not completely long gone. This is an amazing movie. It could've been a masterpiece without the military aspect but it's still definitely worth a watch because of how well-written it is.
July 4, 2016
Relentlessly characterized, surprisingly even-handed, and brave enough to explore the deep roots of family complications, Warrior is as heart-rending as it is successful as a fighting sports movie.
June 28, 2016
Awesome- very good leading actors.
June 21, 2016
Why has it taken me 5 years to find this film.
This is going in my top 10 of all time. Holy shit
June 16, 2016
Emotional, gripping but featuring brutal fights.
June 3, 2016
Wow! Powerful movie. Incredible story, superlative acting, gripping action. left me in tears. Why this didn't make a boatload of money I'll never know. Watch it!
May 28, 2016
This is the ultimate mix of action and heart. I had all the feels every time I've watched it.
May 27, 2016
Warrior is a film based on fiction story. It is a Drama, Action & Adventure movie. Written by Anthony Tambakis, Cliff Dorfman, and Gavin O'Connor and directed by Gavin O'Connor. The cast of the film Tommy (Tom Hardy) is an ex- Marine who returns home after he survives in Afghanistan. He was a hero in the marine he save a lot of his friends in the Marine. Tommy has an older brother Brendan (Joel Edgerton). Brendan is married man who has two children. Tommy and Brendan had their father (Nick Nolte) who is a trainer for Mixed Martial Art. The film has a good cast and has a lot of great actors like Jennifer Morrison, Frank Grillo, Kurt Angle, and Bryan Callen. Starting with Tommy (Tom Hardy). He is a former Marine soldier who fight in a lot of countries. He returned to his home after 14 years. His fought for Marine and he was a hero between his the soldiers, he saved a lot of them while they were under attack. A lot of the soldiers had a lot of respect for Toomy. He returned for the first time to his home and he was depressed man. He was lost, he went to training to a fight club. In the first the trainers thoughts that Tommy was a beginner and did not know how to fight. In his first week Tommy was training crazy and one of the trainers saw him. Tommy start to try with a good fighters and he beat all of them. Then he start to compete in a lot of Mixed Martial Art championships. He was a best who had an anger inside of him. Brendan (Joel Edgerton) is Tommy brother. Who is an ex fighter before he became a teacher to support his family. He did not get along with his father and Tommy. Brendan had a money problem. He start to think about his family and who he need to support his family. He went to an old friend of his who had a gym, and asked him if he can help him to train so he can fight. His friend refused and told him that he cannot fight with fighter because he could die. Brendan convinced his friend and start to train. Brendan start to Compete in championship, and he would go back to his wife with bruises. Brendan and Tommy did not get along because the way their father. Their father tried them when they were young and he believed in Tommy more than Brendan. Brendan and Tommy start to beat every opponent that they had. They had a lot of fans, and they were famous in the media. Tommy was training with his father and Brendan was training with his friend. After many fight, they end up fighting each other and it was an epic fight. The movie was very good and well done. Tom Hardy played the character very nicely and he was the only one who could play it. Joel Edgerton was really good doing the character. All the actors were good doing their characters. I definitely recommend the movie.
May 24, 2016
This movie was recommended to me since I enjoyed Creed, and I must say that Warrior is really something. The performance by Edgerton highlights a strong cast. Mark Isham's score is very fitting to such an emotional sports movie as the music really sets the tone. The fight sequences had me on the edge of my seat - bravo to the stunt crew! My biggest issue with this movie is Hardy's character. The premise of the film is built on the idea of two brothers entering a fighting tournament and meeting each other in the final. Both characters are developed to give audience members a difficult time choosing who to cheer for in the fight. However, I loathed Hardy's character immensely. The way he treated his father, brutally attacked opponents in the ring, and the things he did in the war made him too difficult to cheer for despite his reasoning for entering the tournament. Edgerton was much easier to sympathize with. The only other thing I have to say negatively about this movie is the fact that there wasn't any closure; the movie just ends after the final fight. Despite these things, Warrior is an emotionally powerful and fun movie to watch if you enjoy sports films such as Rocky.
May 14, 2016
perfect film. not gonna lie ð??§ð??§
May 5, 2016
Great movie, from two top class actors
April 26, 2016
Best Tom hardy movie
April 24, 2016
Warrior: A Knock Out or Knocked Out?
What is arguably the best sports film made to this date, may possibly go down as one of the most underrated movies in film history. Gavin O'Connor's unrealistic yet attention grabbing film, Warrior is an action packed, drama-filled, and heartwarming story. This film - often being compared to the 2010 picture The Fighter directed by David O. Russel - throws a KO punch to the film cited above. Somebody tell Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale to watch their backs, because we have two new fighters in the film industry, and they're itching for a victory.
Tommy Riordan (Tom Hardy) and Brendan Conlan (Joel Edgerton) are two brothers with two very different lifestyles. Tommy is an AWOL soldier with anger in his eyes and little concern for others; Brendan is a UFC retiree who continues his life as an average high school Physics teacher.
The predictably written script is a game changer for a lot of viewers, yet others seem to find that it's what makes the film so great. Generally in sports movies you always know the outcome. They give you one side to root for, one team to cheer for, or one player to watch grow. Although predictable, Warrior is special in its own way, giving you the option to choose who you want to root for. Tommy and Brendan both have reasons to be fighting in the Sparta competition. however as the movie progresses, you will be sure to figure out the outcome,
But hold on to the Octagon, because there is more than just fighting in this 140 minute long film. With two brothers separated by a life impacting decision that meet up in a championship fight, how could there not be more? With the screenplay by co-writers Gavin O'Connor, the director himself, Cliff Dorfman, and Anthony Tambakis, it does seem that even with three minds, they couldn't come up with more originality for their production. But due to their lack of creative talent, we are able to more closely relate to the story and understand easily how the characters would be feeling in their situations.
If you think you know action filled drama films, then you must know that great acting is necessary. Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte (Paddy) both do an exceptional job. Nolte was nominated for 12 awards -including an oscar- for best supporting actor in his role as a recovering alcoholic father; and Hardy was nominated 4 times for best actor in a motion picture. The movie was well made, even the music by Mark Isham. The music playing in the last fight scene does a great job in portraying the love and relationship that the two brothers grow to develop once again. His use of the historical composer Ludwig Van Beethoven helped make the anticipation of Brendan's improvement in his ability to fight much more exciting.
Hey, wouldn't one think anything that has to do with violence wouldn't make someone cry out of heartwarming sentimentality? The brilliant plot throws together the two brothers' stories like when a chef whips up a double chocolate cake. All we do is wait in anticipation for when we can have just a taste of the final product. Not only does it make you grow to love the Conlan brothers, it makes it hard for you to choose a side when it all comes to it. This chocolate cake of a movie will have you trapped in the plot.
The not-so-believable movie plot had a great surprise ending that caught most of the audience off guard. Tommy and Brendan were able to form that bond that they once had as children. A family had become a family once more.
April 18, 2016
One of the most powerful movies I've ever seen! Knock out performances by all; Nick Nolte should've won the Oscar for his incendiary performance.
Bad marketing hurt this film - just see it!
April 11, 2016
Fortunately, this movie is not as dull as the title and its got a very powerful ending. But the cinematography gets repetitive and when you really think about it, the events of this movie are pretty unlikely to actually happen and this does bother me a bit. But I feel im being too harsh and I do recommend it especially to fans of sport dramas.
April 2, 2016
Really good, predictable in spots but overall a really good movie
March 28, 2016