Warrior - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Warrior Reviews

October 17, 2016
Nick Nolte won San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role...why that wasn't an Oscar is ridiculous.
October 17, 2016
Warrior is a story about two estranged brothers forced by circumstance to enrol in to a MMA Cage Fighting tournament. This puts both on a collision course to potentially face each other in an ultimate battle.

Joel Edgerton plays a schoolteacher while Tom Hardy, an ex-marine with a haunting past, plays the younger brother. What sounds like a man-flick full of blood and fists is anything but! There is a decent plot only elevated by incredible performances particularly by the diverse, Tom Hardy. Nick Nolte does his job well as the drunk father who mumbles through his lines and Edgerton, is only overshadowed by Hardy.

With the popularity of UFC, it's no surprise that director and writer, Gavin O'Connor took a stab with bringing a movie like Warrior to the masses and although you may compare it to Rocky, it stands on it's own feet and does it well. The action sequences in the fights are shot remarkably well and forces the viewers to feel!

Warrior is a great cinematic feature with something for everyone and comes highly recommended for all moviegoers.
October 16, 2016
The best movie of that year, fantastic and moving work from Nolte and Hardy as an estranged father-and-son duo. The fights are well-staged and believable. You will be surprised at the depth all around...
October 11, 2016
One of my favorite of all times!
September 23, 2016
Warrior is about two brothers that have grown up through an abusive childhood through mainly their fathers doing, and now are both in a mixed martial arts tournament. Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton, and Nick Nolte were are fabulous in this film. I really bought into the heartbreak and hardships each character has to go through. Their performances carried this film through most of it. The plot wasn't anything too groundbreaking when compared to other boxing movies, but somehow, I was able to really get into the movie despite its cliches and mild predictability. The fight scenes were fantastic, each bout had its own feel and style to it, and there were some brutal looking stunts involved that really helped this film. I can definitely say that Warrior deserves to be right up there with Rock as the great boxing movies ever made
September 10, 2016
Really good film emotional film. The back stories are clearly laid out and whilst that felt a bit prescriptive it gave rise to some really good moments and amazing ending.
September 10, 2016
inspiration for a career I'm chasing. Still my favorite movie.
September 10, 2016
Best sport film i ever saw.
August 24, 2016
- I've now seen this 4 times, and it gets me each and every time. I just love it. The perfect sports movie in my opinion with great performances from all involved and Nick Nolte in particular. A must watch!

- 3rd time watching, I just LOVE this movie, it gets better with each viewing. Definitely better than "Rocky" in my opinion. Check it out!

- Just watched this a 2nd time, and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time. An outstanding film in my opinion with great performances. This one is a must see!

- Definitely one of the best films of the year! I really enjoyed this one, I would be very surprised if it isn't nominated for Best Picture and Best Supp. for Nolte who is outstanding. The film is the "Rocky" for MMA, but better, following two brothers who have their own valid reasons for entering an MMA tournament for the prize money. The movie isn't so much about MMA, as much as family relationships and forgiveness. A must watch!
½ August 19, 2016
Great movie. Was surprised at how much I liked this. Definitely see it.
½ July 21, 2016
My rating may be a tad bloated, but Warrior checks off every need for a great film. Great acting, pure emotion, and authenticity. The MMA is solid too.
July 19, 2016
The sports genre isn't exactly the best genre around. There are some classics like Rocky and Raging Bull but most modern ones seem to have the same problems. They reuse the same clichés, they barely feel original at all, and most of them are predictable from the very start. But every now and then, a good sports movie comes out. Million Dollar Baby was an inspirational movie with a shocking and heartbreaking finale and 42 was well-acted, well-written, and pretty original in terms of clichés. Then there's Warrior.

After ex-marine Tommy Conlon returns home, his father trains him to enlist for SPARTA, the biggest wrestling event in martial arts history. But he finds out that he has to go up against his brother.

This movie contains a simple plot which may not seem too impressive but the way its emotional power moves you is how impressive it is. Both brothers are damaged in their own way and we witness how they cope with their problems throughout the movie. At the end, they finally confront and face off in an unforgettable climax which will blow you away.

This movie is made better by its terrific acting. Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy both give terrific performances. Their performances are emotionally powerful and they engage the viewer to the movie's plot. Hardy may be known for playing Bane but he plays his performance in this movie much better. It's a shame that this isn't the movie which got him famous.

As for the music, the score is really nothing special as it consists mostly of tunes we've already heard of but the soundtrack is the shining part to it. It contains a huge range of note and chords and it perfectly sets the mood for certain scenes. Some scenes like the ending wouldn't be as good without its soundtrack.

As much as I'd like to call this movie a masterpiece, there is only one thing I didn't like about it. I didn't really feel that the military aspect was necessary for 1 reason. It wasn't really necessary for a sports movie given what was going on in it. It felt kind of out of place and it could've been left out. It served kind of as a distraction from the main plot also.

So in conclusion, this is an amazing sports movie which shows that while the sports genre isn't as amazing as it once was, it's not completely long gone. This is an amazing movie. It could've been a masterpiece without the military aspect but it's still definitely worth a watch because of how well-written it is.
July 4, 2016
Relentlessly characterized, surprisingly even-handed, and brave enough to explore the deep roots of family complications, Warrior is as heart-rending as it is successful as a fighting sports movie.
June 28, 2016
Awesome- very good leading actors.
June 21, 2016
Why has it taken me 5 years to find this film.
This is going in my top 10 of all time. Holy shit
June 16, 2016
Emotional, gripping but featuring brutal fights.
June 3, 2016
Wow! Powerful movie. Incredible story, superlative acting, gripping action. left me in tears. Why this didn't make a boatload of money I'll never know. Watch it!
May 28, 2016
This is the ultimate mix of action and heart. I had all the feels every time I've watched it.
May 27, 2016
Warrior is a film based on fiction story. It is a Drama, Action & Adventure movie. Written by Anthony Tambakis, Cliff Dorfman, and Gavin O'Connor and directed by Gavin O'Connor. The cast of the film Tommy (Tom Hardy) is an ex- Marine who returns home after he survives in Afghanistan. He was a hero in the marine he save a lot of his friends in the Marine. Tommy has an older brother Brendan (Joel Edgerton). Brendan is married man who has two children. Tommy and Brendan had their father (Nick Nolte) who is a trainer for Mixed Martial Art. The film has a good cast and has a lot of great actors like Jennifer Morrison, Frank Grillo, Kurt Angle, and Bryan Callen. Starting with Tommy (Tom Hardy). He is a former Marine soldier who fight in a lot of countries. He returned to his home after 14 years. His fought for Marine and he was a hero between his the soldiers, he saved a lot of them while they were under attack. A lot of the soldiers had a lot of respect for Toomy. He returned for the first time to his home and he was depressed man. He was lost, he went to training to a fight club. In the first the trainers thoughts that Tommy was a beginner and did not know how to fight. In his first week Tommy was training crazy and one of the trainers saw him. Tommy start to try with a good fighters and he beat all of them. Then he start to compete in a lot of Mixed Martial Art championships. He was a best who had an anger inside of him. Brendan (Joel Edgerton) is Tommy brother. Who is an ex fighter before he became a teacher to support his family. He did not get along with his father and Tommy. Brendan had a money problem. He start to think about his family and who he need to support his family. He went to an old friend of his who had a gym, and asked him if he can help him to train so he can fight. His friend refused and told him that he cannot fight with fighter because he could die. Brendan convinced his friend and start to train. Brendan start to Compete in championship, and he would go back to his wife with bruises. Brendan and Tommy did not get along because the way their father. Their father tried them when they were young and he believed in Tommy more than Brendan. Brendan and Tommy start to beat every opponent that they had. They had a lot of fans, and they were famous in the media. Tommy was training with his father and Brendan was training with his friend. After many fight, they end up fighting each other and it was an epic fight. The movie was very good and well done. Tom Hardy played the character very nicely and he was the only one who could play it. Joel Edgerton was really good doing the character. All the actors were good doing their characters. I definitely recommend the movie.
May 24, 2016
This movie was recommended to me since I enjoyed Creed, and I must say that Warrior is really something. The performance by Edgerton highlights a strong cast. Mark Isham's score is very fitting to such an emotional sports movie as the music really sets the tone. The fight sequences had me on the edge of my seat - bravo to the stunt crew! My biggest issue with this movie is Hardy's character. The premise of the film is built on the idea of two brothers entering a fighting tournament and meeting each other in the final. Both characters are developed to give audience members a difficult time choosing who to cheer for in the fight. However, I loathed Hardy's character immensely. The way he treated his father, brutally attacked opponents in the ring, and the things he did in the war made him too difficult to cheer for despite his reasoning for entering the tournament. Edgerton was much easier to sympathize with. The only other thing I have to say negatively about this movie is the fact that there wasn't any closure; the movie just ends after the final fight. Despite these things, Warrior is an emotionally powerful and fun movie to watch if you enjoy sports films such as Rocky.