1984 Reviews

• Jul 19, 2019

I just finished the book and decided to watch the movie as well. I liked it at first because it visualised everything i read and it looked so much more fucked up that i imagined. But then it got kind of slow and different. I felt like something was missing or changed compared to the book.

• May 15, 2019

It works well if you're a fan of the book especially. While I did read it a while back, I don't remember much from it. It was nice seeing some moments that I remembered for sure. The film is rather slow, yet subtle in a way that makes it work.

• Apr 25, 2019

First I want to say that movie is great but I've read the book and i think that movie should be deeper.

• Apr 11, 2019

1984: The problem with making a film out of one of the greatest; and most important, pieces of literature is the rich narrative offered by Geroge Orwell In the novel is lacking: Its rich symbolism- the imagery; dripping with detail and dread, that plunges viewers into its hell-like dystopia setting; with despite film being a visual medium can’t seem to be as effective as the words written by Orwell, the cynical nature of all things- the rewarding experince, first hand offered austere viewpoint of its characters, and the horrors of Fascism/Nazisim- never can be matched or be translated onto film as effectivly. But its competent look and preformances help save the film from being less than a shadow it is to Geroge Orwell’s supereme masterpiece.

• Jan 24, 2019

An adaptation that Fallows the book honestly. A bit lacking with the fear and paranoia from the book. A must read for all students to uderstand the evil of majority identity rule.

• Jan 10, 2019

Dystopian masterpiece.

Dystopian masterpiece.

• Dec 19, 2018

Nineteen Eighty-Four is my absolute favorite book of all time, so needless to say, I'm just a little bit biased when I say this film is an absolute masterpiece. I think it's better than the book in some ways. For instance, while the tone of the book was overall a deeply unsettling one, it's not as subtle as this film in someways, but then again, in other ways the book is more subtle than the film. I wouldn't recommend watching this film without having read the book, as, like I said, there's a lot of subtle things in the film that you probably wouldn't notice. I acknowledge the film has its flaws, but at the same time it fixes some of the flaws in the book, the first example I can think of is in the book when Winston goes to meet O'Brien, he brings Julia with him. Now, why would that make any sense in the book? I know Winston assumes O'Brien to be on the side of the resistance, but even if there' was a small chance he's not, why take that risk? On the other hand, in the film, Winston goes alone. It's odd how the book and the movie even each other out. Without having read the book first, I would probably rate this film a little lower, but my knowledge of the book and the perfect adaptation of Orwell's deeply unsettling dystopian atmosphere (seriously, this movie can chill you to the bone and without having to rely on horror film cliches like jump scares, blood, gross-out scares, etc), which is created thru the visual representation of just how terrible the conditions in London (and every where else) are in the book AND a kickass score which was initially created by the Euythmics, but was later interspersed with an orchestral score, which is a neat concept, and the synthesizer-based Eurythmics part of the score fits perfectly to further establish the dystopian atmosphere. All this can allow me to look over it's minor flaws, which is why it's my favorite movie, I watch it usually once a month or so. I love it.

• Nov 11, 2018

Iâ(TM)m getting straight up Bioshock vibes. Bioshock literally start out like this movie. The beginning video shown literally reminds me of Bioshock. It truly is a dystopian nightmare. I hope no one ever has to live through such circumstances like these people do in this movie. Big Brother always watching and free thought is crime. Everyone looks like there dead inside and with the constant blaring of the television going off, I can see why. The way the big television manipulates and sways there way of thinking is crazy. Even at a young age, there instilling the thought of how important war and fighting is. This has to be one of the most gloomy and miserable movies Iâ(TM)ve seen. Itâ(TM)s almost like thereâ(TM)s no hope in the movie but what Smith says towards the end, is impactful. The movie definitely gets itâ(TM)s point across and itâ(TM)s a pretty grim one, but itâ(TM)s very important and relevant. Now and forever. Again, love is the main message.

• Sep 05, 2018

Perhaps the truest and most faithful adaptation of a novel I have ever seen. The only criticisms I can offer are that it should have been 30 minutes longer and even truer to the novel than it was. I prefer the Eurythmics version of the soundtrack - partly because it was the first version I saw and partly because the music has an eerie, haunting quality that fits well thematically with the subject matter. It's also solidly 1980's in sound, which reminds us of the contrast between the 1984 that actually came to pass and the 1984 that easily could have been.

• Jul 18, 2018

Big brother is watching. It's funny that movies like this were before our time. It's even funnier that a lot of people take what the mainstream media meaning the leftist bias in the media as truth. Like for example saying that Donald Trump is a Nazi but however when they are talking about him they do Nazi-like acts and protest. I saw this movie a long time ago but I always wanted to watch it again. Back then I was a kid that didn't understand a lot of it. As an adult,? I see the message clear and it's funnier and sad at the same time that people don't see this in today's media.