20th Century Women - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

20th Century Women Reviews

½ November 11, 2017
Mike Mills is once again triumphant in telling a coming of a age story that is semi-autobiographical to his own upbringing. Annette Bening gives a moving performance as single mother Dorothea who is trying to teach her growingly distant, fatherless son Jamie about becoming a man in 1979. It's an emotional drama that will leave you laughing, crying, and in awe of each character's outlook on life, love, and the world beyond Santa Barbara.
½ November 10, 2017
I had a wonderful time, watching this movie
October 22, 2017
Incredible film - Annette Bening is spectacular.
September 30, 2017
can we all admit that bening was robbed of an oscar?
½ September 28, 2017
I find this film a real pleasure to watch. The characters are complex, annoying and lovely. The narrative is believable and not obvious. The cinematography is inventive. The soundtrack is fabulous. It is largely set in 1979 which was my most formative teenage year, so I guess it was an easy win for me, yet I suspect it will work for anyone with an ounce of imagination and a sense of good taste.
September 22, 2017
Do not watch this movie if you are tired. I promise, you will nod off. I'm glad I watched it because it's a good coming of age story. Interesting characters! The teen boy in the movie was born in 1964 which is the same year that I was born. It was like looking back in time and getting a glance of what it was like back then.
½ September 17, 2017
Definitely underrated and needs more attention. Slow moving, but it's worth the entire two hours with the soundtrack and acting spot on.
September 14, 2017
I loved this movie. Annette Bening and the rest of the cast are amzing. Also, the direction of this film is just right on with the everything from the pacing to the music and other things I'm probably not even aware of.
September 14, 2017
Having last witnessed Annette Benings' astonishingly assured performance in The Kids Are Alright, I was optimistic about what she would bring to 20th Century Women. Predictably, she was excellent, as is the rest of the central cast, all of whom play characters full of vulnerability, misguided confidence and a deep sadness. Lucas Jade Zumann, the child actor playing Benning's son, is a marvel. Shy and awkward but with a willingness to see the world and let it shower over him, not necessarily rebelling against his mother's unorthodox methods but certainly not relating to them. His reactions always feel authentic, and his emotional development is very organic as a result. The editing is a bit bizarre, with random blurry, fast-motion driving scenes coming out of nowhere more closely resembling a music video, which Director/Writer Mike Mills coincidentally is well-known for making. It also relies far too heavily on voice-over narration, going the Terrence Malick route of telling us what the characters are feeling instead of allowing it to be revealed through their conversations and expressions. It has its languid moments, and occasionally suffers from a lack of direction and forward momentum, but the central story is relatable, the performances excellent, the writing and themes touching and heart-warming. 20th Century Women is a great movie. Not a lot wrong with it, but nothing truly ground-breaking. It's worth a watch for sure, but I won't be rushing back to it straight away.
September 13, 2017
*** "WONDERING IF YOU'RE HAPPY IS A GREAT SHORTCUT TO JUST BEING DEPRESSED" ***
½ September 7, 2017
Rather a 20th century tale!

You have seen films like this often. This is where a chick film meets art. Art means not the flick full of inspiration, message, awareness. But the presentation was so pleasant. The screenplay carefully picked the right events, and the dialogues were good. The book fanatics would go and look for the original source it was adapted from. But the truth is it was an originally written screenplay, and that's why it got a nomination at the recent Oscars. Another way to say, it inspired by the director's own childhood life, being raised by his mother and sister.

This is the story of a single mother, whose teenage son is struggling to blend with the world. Then they have two roommates, one a woman in her 20s and a middle aged man. Beside a girl of her son's age visits regularly and sometimes secretly. So how all these people influence in the boy's life is the story that revealed. His mother being from different generation and not understanding the present world, which was the year 1979, where the film sets in.

From the director of 'Beginners', yet another unique film. Thematically there's nothing special, though it was carved with the excellent bunch of actors made the difference. I'm not sure the title was perfect for what the film narrated. Yes, if it was Annette Bening's Dorothea's story, then it justifies. But the story does not have one perspective of narration. All the main characters like Bening, Elle, Greta, Crudup and Zumann, shared screen equally. So, instead I would have preferred the title, '20th Century Tale'.

Greta kind of reminded me Kristen Stewart with the hair like that. Two hours long drama with some funs. Really a good film. The topics it brings in for discussion were interesting, especially which is in the current era. Films like this should be watching. It is about the life, people with different characters and ambitions.

7/10
September 4, 2017
Watching this movie till the end, will move your emotions.
½ September 4, 2017
weird ass movie. very weak. actors strong but the storyline was all over the place and kept jumping in and out about what would happen 10 years further up and the last 20 minutes rushed in the lives of all the main characters and were would they be.....i truly tried to like it but just could not.
½ September 3, 2017
annette benning. 'nough said.
August 29, 2017
20th Century Women offers up excellent performances and direction while commenting on many social contradictions but it does fall a bit short by not being anything more than that.
Grade: B+
August 27, 2017
I guess it was meant to be somewhat "deep", but I found it quite boring
½ August 27, 2017
3.3/5

20th Century Women likes to dwell in the unnecesary and the unjustified, as it quite obscenely presents an ideology through a story thats only "not-boring" out of techinical prowess, without care for logical subtext or narrative cohesion.
½ August 23, 2017
A great gem. Such depth to each character.
½ August 21, 2017
Amazing!!! 20th Century Women is a masterful storytelling full of great moments, a strong performance of the cast (Annette Bening fantastic) and a fantastic direction by Mike Mills. (4,5/5)
August 15, 2017
This movie will remind you that life is fleeting.