22 July Reviews

• Jun 29, 2019

Greengrass pulls another masterpiece out of the bag. I can only hope the subhuman, hereafter known as Vermin One, rots in Hell with a red hot poker stuck where the sun don't shine for eternity.

• Brendan N Super Reviewer
    May 27, 2019

Greengrass returns to the docudrama he is well known for and the result is another success. The performances are heartfelt and testament to the talent involved. The initial setup is hard to watch and I'm amazed the filmmakers never attempted to explore the true thoughts of a delusional right wing extremist. Tough to watch, but never boring or glorifying. The film is slow, but it explores the key characters and leaves the viewer with a film that covers the story without objectifying or exploiting the characters. 26/05/2019

• Apr 29, 2019

Discreet and heartfelt rendering of the attack and its aftermath lays its main focus on the victims and takes care not to provide too much space for the perpetrator's ideology.

• Apr 15, 2019

A good watch but you feel like Greengrass is trying really, really hard throughout to balance presenting Breivik without giving him the fame he so clearly craves. Also trying desperately to give the survivors some sort of 'victory' in this story without it seeming too Hollywood. If anyone could manage it you would back Greengrass but I'm not sure he ever quite succeeds. The first hour covering the attacks themselves is a brutal, tough watch (as it should be), the second half is where the tone struggles. It's a story that needs to be told but you feel it's perhaps an impossible one to present without glorifying or feeling exploitative.

• Apr 11, 2019

From the same mind that brought you United 93, Captain Phillips, and some of the Jason Bourne movies... I have to admit, I didn't know anything about the events of this film (which is unfortunate since it happened not that long ago). I don't know about Oscar possibilities (indiewire has it as a Longshot best picture nominee) , but it was on my list so I watched it. I'm glad I did, it was a pretty powerful film and a pretty horrific event! My number one issue, the film was in English. Sure, the actors had Norwegian accents (heavy at times) but I feel it would've been a lot stronger in the native language. The cast was pretty strong, the weakest performance was probably from the key surviving victim. However, to be fair, most of the cast seem to be pretty new to acting.

• Mar 15, 2019

Mixed feelings about this film, while the acting is decent and really conveys the emotions of all the victims of the aftermath, especially Gravli as Viljar, and Breivikâ(TM)s delusions of grandeur, it feels a bit like so much focus is on the man himself when itâ(TM)s exactly the kind of media attention he craves. Also an odd choice to have Norwegian actors speaking English when movie goers these days are well used to reading subtitles. Overall a movie worth seeing if a bit on the long side.

• Mar 08, 2019

Weird film that drags on forever. All atmosphere and the journey of recovery from tragedy that is often left out of other films. Still I just wanted the movie to end. Hard to recommend others sit through it because of that.

• Feb 06, 2019

I didn’t know much about what happened on that day. I was still in high school at that time and I didn’t pay much attention to the news. This was an excellent re-enactment of the event that took place. It made me more aware of the violence and crime that takes place, not just in my country, but in Norway and many other countries around the world. The world we live in is so cruel, but like the lead character in the movie, we must stay strong for the people we love and have lost. Truly a great picture

• Feb 03, 2019

This is such a horrifying topic, so I expected it to pack more of a gut punch. However, the filmmaker really missed all of the important emotional, human moments. So it feels more like a montage/expose of the events that occurred that did not delve deeply into what it must have FELT like.

• Feb 01, 2019

great perfomances...but the second half of the movie's a bit slow...

great perfomances...but the second half of the movie's a bit slow...