28 Days Later - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

28 Days Later Reviews

July 29, 2016
28 Days Later is a terrifying and thoroughly brutal zombie flick. It's direction is consistently sharp, it's cast is competent enough and the overall atmosphere is effective and unnerving from beginning to end.
½ July 24, 2016
I couldn't make it to the end of this film; the acting was below average and the plot, while its premise was good, was executed so poorly. A lot of needless scenes and very little suspense considering its genre.
½ July 19, 2016
28 Days Later is a chilling zombie film with great acting, memorable shots, and a hidden political allegory which somewhat makes sense in today's world if you think closely about it.

After a zombie like infection breaks out in London, a group of survivors decide to head to a group of soldiers because they claim that they have the answer to the virus.

Many zombie movies often have constant bloody action sequences to no end but 28 Days Later is generally more slower-paced than most zombie films out there. However, this isn't a bad thing though because this movie never feels boring because of its choice to be slower-paced. It's still exciting.

Also, the film's shot of a deserted London is a truly remarkable scene. When you consider how hard it is to make some of the most populated sections of London look abandoned, it is truly mind-boggling. Boyle had the streets closed off at 4:00 am and he sometimes only had a couple dozen minutes to film each day. However, he was still able to pull it off. That scene is well-done and it immerses the viewer greatly to the movie.

Many of the actors gave amazing performances. The actors which stood out are Cillian Murphy and Naomie Harris. They all gave amazing performances. I also felt that all of the other actors gave great performances as well.

The score is brilliant also. The song "In the House, In a Heartbeat" sticks out the most. It is haunting and does a great job setting up action sequences. Also, all the other songs do a great job setting up certain scenes as well.

Also, there's the political allegories. It means that if something like this ever will happen, the government, soldiers, and politicians will be safe in a bunker while the rest of the world will be left to suffer on their own. You could probably get some help from the army but they may want to get rid of you or other people traveling with you. It's scary to think about it and it brings originality to the movie.

According to Wikipedia, Danny Boyle actually had several alternate endings to this movie. It's clear that Boyle was trying to find the best ending possible for this movie. I liked the ending he picked though and I think that it concluded the movie just fine.

So in conclusion, this movie is a masterpiece. In my opinion, this is one of the best zombie movies ever made. It is definitely up there with Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead (not the remake, the original). It succeeds in several aspects and it also puts a haunting allegory into it as well.
July 18, 2016
A fine remake of "Day of the Dead."
½ July 18, 2016
What a pleasant surprise! 28 Days Later was so entertaining and drew me into a deeply emotional and realistic world. The characters were each well developed and realistic; the story was hauntingly profound; and the cinematography was aesthetically pleasing and intellectually stimulating.
½ July 17, 2016
28 Days Later is directed by Danny Boyle, and it stars Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, and Brendan Gleeson in a zombie thriller about a man who wakes up from a coma about a month in, and he sees that the whole city is completely abandoned, and filled with infected people, while meeting up with some survivors. I remember that I was looking forward to it as it was Alex Garland's writing debut, and while I did liked it fine, I was bored throughout most of it. So I watched it again because my mom's boyfriend wanted to see it again, and it was better than I remembered it. The acting is pretty stellar, which they weren't well known that time before this movie came out. I like how it was shotted, which I forgot about how low budget it was shot, and it's interesting to see it that way. The score by John Murphy is really good, which one of the songs would be well known even to this day. The characters are likable, and the soldier scenes were pretty interesting that you can see from their point of view of what's going on. The writing by Alex Garland is pretty good, and the direction by Danny Boyle is well shotted. The only problem that I have with it, is that the beginning started out really slow, but it picks up when the infected shows up. 28 Days Later is a really great film that it's interesting to see a talented director do something like this, and make it surprisingly stand out.
½ July 10, 2016
It's more of a B-movie than some sort of allegory, but it's an often terrifying one.
June 27, 2016
Favorite zombie movie!!!
June 23, 2016
This has intense moments, an excellent story, skilled direction, and a great cast.
June 17, 2016
One of the most awesome movies ever, great soundtrack, constant suspense great acting I love this movie
June 4, 2016
I hate horror. I hide and jump and feel sick. The plot is usually awful and the gore pointless. But this film is Beautiful, well written, cast and from the moment I saw it I knew it was a classic must see movie like Jaws or Aliens or the Matrix. It has changed movies, mini series and computer games for the better. There are few films that had such a ripple effect and raised the bar. It is desperate and free and as with low budget films was free to experiment with new ideas. It out shines every Hollywood movie thought up in a board room or remade. They still desperately steal from this film now and often fail. Every zombie or outbreak film before it which I loved, became redundant. This is what movies should be.
½ May 29, 2016
Intelligent horror with an original plot and a haunting score, but there are a great many inconsistencies and plot holes.
½ May 27, 2016
The fist half of this movie looks like a Pepsi commercial. Seriously, plenty of product placement. Guess they were the sponsors, but really takes you out of the seriousness of the movie. The second half was better. Although for a movie that introduces some fresh ideas for the zombie genre, like it being a virus, fast zombies, zombies that die just by gunshots, etc, it also ends up playing out like many other zombies movies: survivors end up acting uncivilized towards each other, someone fucks up when they seem to have everything controlled, at least some of the good guys will become zombies, etc.
May 27, 2016
I don't know why everyone liked this movie. First of all, most zombie movies suck. Second, transfered by even a single drop of blood? Do I look that gullible? Horrible acting and horrible story.
May 27, 2016
Smart + thrilling + emotional + unpredictable ==> perfect zombie movie
½ May 20, 2016
It's a shame that Danny Boyle doesn't do si-fi anymore because this is a great movie
May 18, 2016
Great movie that totally reinvented the zombie genre!!!!!
May 14, 2016
Probably my favourite zombie /post-apocalyptic film in recent years. The zombies are scary but so are the humans.
½ May 12, 2016
A horrifying tale with many twists and turns. And best of all it still leaves you wondering long after the credits roll. I don't want to give away the plot or spoil it for you... so just go watch it. It's not your typical 2000's zombie flick. There are much scarier things then zombies.
May 12, 2016
Deserves its reputation as one of the very best zombie movies ever made. Features some great scares that I did not expect as well