28 Days Later - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

28 Days Later Reviews

September 22, 2017
Great interesting horror movie starring the guy from all the new Christopher Nolan movies and some other random people that were pretty good. The story is fantastic, I was very intrigued. I would never see this movie again because it's too dramatic and depressing, people dying, it's a zombie movie but not your typical zombie movie.
September 20, 2017
This is one of the best zombie movies in my opinion. The cast is all great. The direction and cinematography is great. It even goes beyond surface level with its storytelling and meaning. It's a true work of art.
September 3, 2017
Was different to the usual apocalyptic zombie horror film and I rated it highly with good performances from pretty much all the main characters!
½ August 29, 2017
The post-apocalyptic dystopia isn't exactly a brand new idea but Boyle has a few unpredictable plot twists up his sleeve and does well to make the characters, if not fully rounded, then at least distinctive enough that you care about their fate - there's a good balance between bursts of adrenaline-pumping action and slower, sometimes almost tender scenes. When all's said and done it's still basically just a zombie film, but posher than most.
August 25, 2017
One of the best British Horror films of all time
August 24, 2017
This movie is impressive considering the budget and equipment that it had. I like to watch it every few years. The cast in this do a great job and the direction by Danny Boyle is impressive considering the limitations he was faced with. As far as zombie movies go, if you like them then you will most likely enjoy this one too.
August 5, 2017
A gritty, dark & amazing film, capturing the essence of the zombie/horror movie genre. Shot on mostly handheld cameras, but yet executed perfectly. Danny Boyle manages to bring out the best of both worlds. Jim (Cillian Murphy) Wakes up in a hospital in London, only to discover that everyone has up and left the entire city. He embarks on a journey through the desolate streets of London. And to his horror, finds out that he is not alone.

One of, if not my all time favourite film. This is one that anyone who is remotely into the "End of the world Zombie" genre would enjoy.
½ July 31, 2017
*Spoiler Warning*

Danny Boyle's "28 Days Later" is my favorite zombie film by far. It may not be as popular as some of the other zombie classics out there, but I think it rises far above all of them. It's not only an entertaining and well-done zombie film, but a smart film which has a deeper meaning.

After a group of animal activists release a chimpanzee with a dangerous virus, a zombie virus breaks out. 28 days after that incident, Jim, a bicycle courier, awakens from a coma only to have to fight for his survival along with a few other survivors he runs into.

My favorite aspect of this film is its political allegories. Its political allegories give an example of what the government/military would do in a situation like this. Boyle is saying that if a zombie outbreak were to ever happen, the government, soldiers, and politicians would be safe in a bunker while the rest of the world would be left to fight for themselves. You could probably get some help from the army, but they may want to get rid of you or other people traveling with you. They might even have violent intentions towards the people they keep with them. The military soldiers we saw in this movie went to unsettling lengths. They tried to rape Selena and Hannah, killed their own soldiers for disagreeing with their actions, and, most importantly, kept one of their fellow soldiers who turned into a zombie alive and chained up so they could see how long it would take for him to starve (an action which resulted in their deaths). Also, the final scene is delightfully ambiguous, because it makes you wonder whether the military will even try to rescue anyone else.

The character arcs of Jim and Selena are also impressive as the 2 of them appear to swap personalities over the course of the film. When we are first introduced to the characters, Jim appears to be terrified of the zombies while Selena seems like a strong, fearless female lead. After she kills Mark early on, she tells Jim that if he ever turns, she will kill him in a heartbeat. After they discover two more survivors named Frank and Hannah, Selena appears to show little interest for helping them. Over the course of the film, however, she slowly befriends and accept them. The most important aspect of her change, however, is how she slowly develops a relationship with Jim as she said she would never do so early on in the film. As for Jim, on the other hand, he changes from fearing the zombies to becoming increasingly violent throughout the film. His first instance of violence is when he kills a zombified boy. However, the most notable instance of violence is when he kills several military soldiers in the final act of the film. This shows that threats to his life or threats to other people he cares for can bring out his animalistic instincts. My favorite moment surrounding their character arcs is how Jim reunites with Selena after he kills Corporate Mitchell. The scene where he gouges Mitchell's eyes out with his fingers is probably the most gory scene from the film (or, at least, in my opinion it is). It shows how much the outbreak has effected him. The moment when he reunites with Selena is very interesting though. Early on in the film, Selena said that she would kill him in a heartbeat if he were to turn into a zombie. However, the fact that she refuses to kill him (even though she clearly thinks he's infected) shows that both hers and Jim's character arcs are complete. I think that what director Danny Boyle is saying here is that you may try to act a certain way if you're put in a situation like this. Over time, however, the apocalypse will gradually bring out your true colors to a point where they will eventually be uncontrollable.

On top of its deeper meaning, I also found it to have several memorable and brilliant scenes. The first of which were its shots of a deserted London. I thought it was impressive that director Danny Boyle was able to make all of those highly populated areas of the city look deserted. From what I read, Boyle had the streets closed off at 4:00 am and sometimes had only a couple dozen minutes to film. Another great scene is when Jim kills all of the remaining soldiers in the bunker as this scene is both suspenseful, but, like I said above, it shows the character arcs of Jim and Selena at their finest. Also, the song "In the House, In a Heartbeat" was well-written and memorable. It's one of my favorite soundtracks for a horror film. It fit the movie really well. Personally, I didn't have any major issues with this movie. I thought it was all masterfully done.

In conclusion, this is one of my 10 favorite films from the 2000's, because of its deeper meaning. As I said, this is my favorite zombie film of all time (I even like it more than the original "Night of the Living Dead", which I actually consider to be overrated). I thought its sequel "28 Weeks Later" was alright, but in my opinion, this movie is the best that particular genre of film is ever going to get. I strongly recommend it.
½ July 23, 2017
I first saw this film during it's original release and just rewatched it. I liked it better the first time. What I did notice is how many shows since the original have ripped many of the scenes off. The Walking Dead comes to mind just to name one of the few. That's not a criticism, just an observation. This film is actually pretty good...it's well acted and directed and has some extremely brutal and gory scenes, especially towards the end. Its not bad.
July 1, 2017
Great movie, but which zombie did Sandra Bullock play?
June 29, 2017
Thrilling, great direction, and deeper than most zombie (or horror) movies. 28 Days Later is not only my favorite zombie movie, but one of my favorite horror movies of all-time.
June 20, 2017
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. At least Plan 9 From Outer Space was so bad it was entertaining but 28 Days Later is just absolute drivel of the worst kind. The characters are tired cliches and the plot is just plain boring. It's rare that I find a movie with no redeeming qualities but this is a fine example of one. Just plain stupid.
½ June 19, 2017
One of the most overrated, awful movies I have ever seen. Only movie I ever walked out of the theater on. If you feel like watching an english pussy journey through a zombie apocalypse with very little action, then this is your movie.
½ May 8, 2017
Why would ppl think it is a good movie? The people make no sense.
1. Before Selena first kiss Jim, all he has done is running away from the zombies and does nothing. Annoying as hell. He is weak, see from the scene where they have to walk up stairs to get to Frank and Hannah. There is no way Selena would be in love with him or even like him.
2. After Jim flee from being executed, he make noise to lure the soldiers out. And they are really out lol to look for him, wasting all the petrol and bullets just for one not so important guy.
3. All the good characters seemed to have no problem with dumbass Jim releasing the zombie, while Selena and Hannah are both still in the house. And magically, not only the girls are the only ones that remain unharmed, weakass Jim has grown up to a man now lol (Remember how he gets scared and hides behind Major Henry when he sees the chained zombie in the house?) He is fighting all the trained man, and all these trained and armed men are not even able to kill that one zombie to begin with. Are they soldiers or babies?
4. Not to mention Jim can magically walk pass most of the zombies without them noticing. If you train a soldier, train ur soldier like JIMMY!
5. I would have been fucking scared if I see the guy I like is digging eyeballs out of a guy. At that point Jim looked like a total monster and Selena's first reaction is to make out with him. Good job lady!
6. Little girl Hannah thinks she should pull the car to the zombie so it would drag Major Evil out. Has she ever thought about the possibility that the zombie might climb into the car and kill them both? Ok but of course, this is supposed to make little girl Hannah looks cool so we can't let that happen:)

Overall, this movie is so dumb, just focus more on the zombies. And except the Black female lead (she falling for Jim ruins my admiration to her tho), everyone is dumb.
April 18, 2017
As far as zombie movies go this sure is different. It is also very raw and gritty, as well as inappropriate at times. I do not feel like I need to watch it again.
April 18, 2017
My favorite movie of the genre! It really doesn't have to be zombies the ones who we have to fear. Great movie.
April 2, 2017
Interesting take on the zombies. This film may have preceded the TV series. Pretty well done for what seems a small budget. The story kind of make sense. The rage virus would have been worked on and is a bit fast acting, so, zombies.
March 24, 2017
I really enjoyed this rather thoughtful approach to the zombie film, and was quite impressed with the character development over the course of the movie. It holds up well on the revisit, and is something that actually gives a legit reason to the whole idea of running zombies, which a lot of people take issue with.

Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.

Recommended.
March 24, 2017
The beginning was the scariest. Be patient with the slow pace, good (or bad??) things will come very soon.
½ March 22, 2017
Suspenseful and leaves you tensed up until the end. Also has great acring, and plot, this is a film definatley worth a watch.