28 Days Later - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

28 Days Later Reviews

½ December 17, 2017
A good film that was inches away from a great one, 28 Days Later has a lot of strengths that are bogged down by bland characters, overlong sequence, a misguided style, and a confused narrative. It is scary, it asks interesting questions, and it has a new approach to a bland genre which I must give it credit for but in the end I didn't find it very enjoyable or captivating.
December 5, 2017
The way the cinematographer showed a deserted London was amazing. I really felt like I cared for the characters in this post apocalyptic movie.
November 8, 2017
The guy wakeing up to the Apocalypse naked was an odd choice to add to the movie. The beginning was just like the first episode of the walking dead. Its a very nice and scary movie. Would recommend.
November 2, 2017
28 Days Later: Powerfuly directed, haunting and thought provoking. 28 days later is a horror masterpeice that does not let go.
½ November 2, 2017
Sharply directed, legitimately horrifying, and surprisingly intelligent, 28 Days Later manages to succeed both as a harrowing zombie film and a razor sharp political allegory. The cast deliver strong and nuanced performances in their respective roles and Boyle does a good job developing the characters enough, which in itself is rare for the genre, so that you actually become acquainted with them. However, 28 Days Later's biggest strength has nothing to do with its cast members, it's how well it honors the zombie genre while flipping it completely over it's head. It's clearly zombie film but 28 Days digs deeper beneath the surface than most films in the genre would dare to while presenting new and wholly interesting ideas, such as the titular 28 Days concept, the inventive take on the iconic zombie stereotype, but most of all it's sharp allegories pertaining to the darkness of humanity and political strife. By actually exploring the effects of the zombie apocalypse on society as a whole and demonstrating how far people will go to salvage sanity, no matter the cost, 28 Days Later manages to be more thoughtful and more detailed than virtually any zombie film. The logic kind of loses itself by the end though but Danny Boyle's direction shines throughout, in everything from the frantic way the camera cuts through during the film's more fast paced moments which lend it a more hallucinatory and engaging feel to the quick cuts and editing style while dousing the film in a suitably uncompromising and gritty tone that all help to make it all the more atmospheric and horrifying. But the novelty of 28 Days is that although its zombie stars are scary in their own right, the film is more terrifying just because of how realistic and surreal the whole ordeal is. The shots of London in flames and emptied of all life are very eerie and well done while the film's musical score only elevates the whole experience. Never is this more apparent than that unforgettable opening reel, which sets the stage for everything to come in just a few minutes. Ive heard plenty of good things about 28 Days Later, but I was still caught completely off guard and I could see why it was responsible for reinvigorating such a stale genre; its more than a zombie film, its an intelligent political satire. -
½ October 31, 2017
Saw this about a year ago, and didn't love it. Saw the sequel today, and also didn't love it. There's a review of that today as well!
October 29, 2017
Finally got to watch it and I don't know what was more frightening - the infected or uninfected losing their humanity as they descend into madness. Brilliant work from Danny Boyle and the team. I am not surprised the film has a cult following.
October 16, 2017
One of the best zombie movies ever made!
September 22, 2017
Great interesting horror movie starring the guy from all the new Christopher Nolan movies and some other random people that were pretty good. The story is fantastic, I was very intrigued. I would never see this movie again because it's too dramatic and depressing, people dying, it's a zombie movie but not your typical zombie movie.
September 20, 2017
This is one of the best zombie movies in my opinion. The cast is all great. The direction and cinematography is great. It even goes beyond surface level with its storytelling and meaning. It's a true work of art.
September 3, 2017
Was different to the usual apocalyptic zombie horror film and I rated it highly with good performances from pretty much all the main characters!
½ August 29, 2017
The post-apocalyptic dystopia isn't exactly a brand new idea but Boyle has a few unpredictable plot twists up his sleeve and does well to make the characters, if not fully rounded, then at least distinctive enough that you care about their fate - there's a good balance between bursts of adrenaline-pumping action and slower, sometimes almost tender scenes. When all's said and done it's still basically just a zombie film, but posher than most.
August 25, 2017
One of the best British Horror films of all time
August 24, 2017
This movie is impressive considering the budget and equipment that it had. I like to watch it every few years. The cast in this do a great job and the direction by Danny Boyle is impressive considering the limitations he was faced with. As far as zombie movies go, if you like them then you will most likely enjoy this one too.
August 5, 2017
A gritty, dark & amazing film, capturing the essence of the zombie/horror movie genre. Shot on mostly handheld cameras, but yet executed perfectly. Danny Boyle manages to bring out the best of both worlds. Jim (Cillian Murphy) Wakes up in a hospital in London, only to discover that everyone has up and left the entire city. He embarks on a journey through the desolate streets of London. And to his horror, finds out that he is not alone.

One of, if not my all time favourite film. This is one that anyone who is remotely into the "End of the world Zombie" genre would enjoy.
½ July 31, 2017
*Spoiler Warning*

Danny Boyle's "28 Days Later" is my favorite zombie film by far. It may not be as popular as some of the other zombie classics out there, but I think it rises far above all of them. It's not only an entertaining and well-done zombie film, but a smart film which has a deeper meaning.

After a group of animal activists release a chimpanzee with a dangerous virus, a zombie virus breaks out. 28 days after that incident, Jim, a bicycle courier, awakens from a coma only to have to fight for his survival along with a few other survivors he runs into.

My favorite aspect of this film is its political allegories. Its political allegories give an example of what the government/military would do in a situation like this. Boyle is saying that if a zombie outbreak were to ever happen, the government, soldiers, and politicians would be safe in a bunker while the rest of the world would be left to fight for themselves. You could probably get some help from the army, but they may want to get rid of you or other people traveling with you. They might even have violent intentions towards the people they keep with them. The military soldiers we saw in this movie went to unsettling lengths. They tried to rape Selena and Hannah, killed their own soldiers for disagreeing with their actions, and, most importantly, kept one of their fellow soldiers who turned into a zombie alive and chained up so they could see how long it would take for him to starve (an action which resulted in their deaths). Also, the final scene is delightfully ambiguous, because it makes you wonder whether the military will even try to rescue anyone else.

The character arcs of Jim and Selena are also impressive as the 2 of them appear to swap personalities over the course of the film. When we are first introduced to the characters, Jim appears to be terrified of the zombies while Selena seems like a strong, fearless female lead. After she kills Mark early on, she tells Jim that if he ever turns, she will kill him in a heartbeat. After they discover two more survivors named Frank and Hannah, Selena appears to show little interest for helping them. Over the course of the film, however, she slowly befriends and accept them. The most important aspect of her change, however, is how she slowly develops a relationship with Jim as she said she would never do so early on in the film. As for Jim, on the other hand, he changes from fearing the zombies to becoming increasingly violent throughout the film. His first instance of violence is when he kills a zombified boy. However, the most notable instance of violence is when he kills several military soldiers in the final act of the film. This shows that threats to his life or threats to other people he cares for can bring out his animalistic instincts. My favorite moment surrounding their character arcs is how Jim reunites with Selena after he kills Corporate Mitchell. The scene where he gouges Mitchell's eyes out with his fingers is probably the most gory scene from the film (or, at least, in my opinion it is). It shows how much the outbreak has effected him. The moment when he reunites with Selena is very interesting though. Early on in the film, Selena said that she would kill him in a heartbeat if he were to turn into a zombie. However, the fact that she refuses to kill him (even though she clearly thinks he's infected) shows that both hers and Jim's character arcs are complete. I think that what director Danny Boyle is saying here is that you may try to act a certain way if you're put in a situation like this. Over time, however, the apocalypse will gradually bring out your true colors to a point where they will eventually be uncontrollable.

On top of its deeper meaning, I also found it to have several memorable and brilliant scenes. The first of which were its shots of a deserted London. I thought it was impressive that director Danny Boyle was able to make all of those highly populated areas of the city look deserted. From what I read, Boyle had the streets closed off at 4:00 am and sometimes had only a couple dozen minutes to film. Another great scene is when Jim kills all of the remaining soldiers in the bunker as this scene is both suspenseful, but, like I said above, it shows the character arcs of Jim and Selena at their finest. Also, the song "In the House, In a Heartbeat" was well-written and memorable. It's one of my favorite soundtracks for a horror film. It fit the movie really well. Personally, I didn't have any major issues with this movie. I thought it was all masterfully done.

In conclusion, this is one of my 10 favorite films from the 2000's, because of its deeper meaning. As I said, this is my favorite zombie film of all time (I even like it more than the original "Night of the Living Dead", which I actually consider to be overrated). I thought its sequel "28 Weeks Later" was alright, but in my opinion, this movie is the best that particular genre of film is ever going to get. I strongly recommend it.
½ July 23, 2017
I first saw this film during it's original release and just rewatched it. I liked it better the first time. What I did notice is how many shows since the original have ripped many of the scenes off. The Walking Dead comes to mind just to name one of the few. That's not a criticism, just an observation. This film is actually pretty good...it's well acted and directed and has some extremely brutal and gory scenes, especially towards the end. Its not bad.
July 1, 2017
Great movie, but which zombie did Sandra Bullock play?
June 29, 2017
Thrilling, great direction, and deeper than most zombie (or horror) movies. 28 Days Later is not only my favorite zombie movie, but one of my favorite horror movies of all-time.