28 Days Later - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

28 Days Later Reviews

½ September 4, 2016
When it comes to scare factor, zombies fare much worse than the quicker and more cunning werewolves, vampires, psychopaths, aliens, mutants. Director Danny Boyle and writer Alex Garland might have thought this, and found an inventive way to reinterpret the zombie disease: What if it were contagious, extremely bloodthirsty rage? This manifests through even a single drop of contaminated blood, infecting the host within thirty seconds and driving them into a maniacal frenzy. Unlike most zombie movies, other animals can be infected too. On concept alone, I am hooked, and you know, Boyle and Garland know how to jump-scare properly. Loud noises? Pfft. How about even the slightest disturbance of ambience / silence? This even affects entire scenes that avoid any intention of jump-scaring you, most notably when Jim (Cillian Murphy) wakes up from a 28-day coma in a completely empty hospital of a completely empty London, wandering the streets in hopes for an explanation. Boyle develops a very hopeless world for our characters.

The storyline is simple enough: Our characters -- Jim, Selena (Naomie Harris), Frank (Brendan Gleeson), and his daughter Hannah (Megan Burns) -- look for a safe haven or a cure, and run into a different kind of trouble, in the form of a reformed army that needs women for starting a new society. Boyle's trademark frantic pace, best exemplified in Trainspotting, suits the horror aspect of the movie, and comes into play for the oddly effective revenge thriller of a third act. The reason it is effective is because of its context, a small group of characters whose hope is always budding, despite the increasingly hopeless world around them. Incidentally, the one character who loses sight of that is the one who literally loses sight for a moment and turns into a rage zombie. Very fun, very hip, very Danny Boyle.
½ September 2, 2016
Already commented but just watching again. The closing 10 mins are simply breath taking with the best soundtrack I've heard in any film. So much emotion and tension
½ August 22, 2016
28 days later is a clever zombie movie, the lack of guns for the majority of the film make it scarier, more realistic and it makes you like the characters more. You learn so much about them that you feel like you are one of them. However, it's not all doom and gloom, there are some funny and enjoyable moments and I liked the ending.
½ August 20, 2016
I was expecting a different movie out of this. I expected a zombie horror, with The Walking Dead action, not with very few or no infected. Nothing seemed like it was abandoned. The beginning was meh, it was a reenactment of The Walking Dead opening scene, although this was made in 2003. I only jumped once, which was unexpected for a movie like this. Other than that, the dialog and plot line sucked. The ending left us hanging about questions that may be never answered.
August 16, 2016
Oh Yeah!!! bloody good movie.
½ August 16, 2016
Great zombie flick. Scary, intense and intelligent. Sets the bar for all zombie movies to come.
August 13, 2016
Unnecessary love story that made no sense with the plot.
½ August 12, 2016
28 Days Later is by far one of my favorite films. It is a terrifying but beautiful film which expresses the realistic troubles our world has to deal with when threats like this occur.
August 12, 2016
great movie, didnt like it as much the first time i saw it... but after watching it again without any preconcieved notions of what it was going to be i was able to really enjoy it, the camera angles and film quality is excellent, plus its a great twist on the Zombie Genre
August 8, 2016
from beginning to end Danny Boyle's rejuvenation of the zombie genre uses it's financial modesty to create a more realistic venture into the post apocalyptic roller-coaster ride of horror that will shake you to your very bones
August 8, 2016
Absolutely excellent. Even better since time has passed.
August 3, 2016
Danny Boyle isn't just out to horrify you in this film (though, some of the scenes are quite horrifying). The film is a thought-provoking one about survival and what it means to be human. Cillian Murphy's performance is a perfect match for his character. This film is the one that made me recognize myself as a fan of monster movies.
August 2, 2016
Wow, low budget but effective zombie film. Cillian Murphy is top notch!
August 2, 2016
As much a political allegory as it is horror , Boyle has managed to inject a sense of pulse and rage to a genre that was starting to feel as stagnant as the zombies it depicted.
July 29, 2016
28 Days Later is a terrifying and thoroughly brutal zombie flick. It's direction is consistently sharp, it's cast is competent enough and the overall atmosphere is effective and unnerving from beginning to end.
½ July 24, 2016
I couldn't make it to the end of this film; the acting was below average and the plot, while its premise was good, was executed so poorly. A lot of needless scenes and very little suspense considering its genre.
½ July 19, 2016
28 Days Later is a chilling zombie film with great acting, memorable shots, and a hidden political allegory which somewhat makes sense in today's world if you think closely about it.

After a zombie like infection breaks out in London, a group of survivors decide to head to a group of soldiers because they claim that they have the answer to the virus.

Many zombie movies often have constant bloody action sequences to no end but 28 Days Later is generally more slower-paced than most zombie films out there. However, this isn't a bad thing though because this movie never feels boring because of its choice to be slower-paced. It's still exciting.

Also, the film's shot of a deserted London is a truly remarkable scene. When you consider how hard it is to make some of the most populated sections of London look abandoned, it is truly mind-boggling. Boyle had the streets closed off at 4:00 am and he sometimes only had a couple dozen minutes to film each day. However, he was still able to pull it off. That scene is well-done and it immerses the viewer greatly to the movie.

Many of the actors gave amazing performances. The actors which stood out are Cillian Murphy and Naomie Harris. They all gave amazing performances. I also felt that all of the other actors gave great performances as well.

The score is brilliant also. The song "In the House, In a Heartbeat" sticks out the most. It is haunting and does a great job setting up action sequences. Also, all the other songs do a great job setting up certain scenes as well.

Also, there's the political allegories. It means that if something like this ever will happen, the government, soldiers, and politicians will be safe in a bunker while the rest of the world will be left to suffer on their own. You could probably get some help from the army but they may want to get rid of you or other people traveling with you. It's scary to think about it and it brings originality to the movie.

According to Wikipedia, Danny Boyle actually had several alternate endings to this movie. It's clear that Boyle was trying to find the best ending possible for this movie. I liked the ending he picked though and I think that it concluded the movie just fine.

So in conclusion, this movie is a masterpiece. In my opinion, this is one of the best zombie movies ever made. It is definitely up there with Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead (not the remake, the original). It succeeds in several aspects and it also puts a haunting allegory into it as well.
July 18, 2016
A fine remake of "Day of the Dead."
½ July 18, 2016
What a pleasant surprise! 28 Days Later was so entertaining and drew me into a deeply emotional and realistic world. The characters were each well developed and realistic; the story was hauntingly profound; and the cinematography was aesthetically pleasing and intellectually stimulating.
½ July 17, 2016
28 Days Later is directed by Danny Boyle, and it stars Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, and Brendan Gleeson in a zombie thriller about a man who wakes up from a coma about a month in, and he sees that the whole city is completely abandoned, and filled with infected people, while meeting up with some survivors. I remember that I was looking forward to it as it was Alex Garland's writing debut, and while I did liked it fine, I was bored throughout most of it. So I watched it again because my mom's boyfriend wanted to see it again, and it was better than I remembered it. The acting is pretty stellar, which they weren't well known that time before this movie came out. I like how it was shotted, which I forgot about how low budget it was shot, and it's interesting to see it that way. The score by John Murphy is really good, which one of the songs would be well known even to this day. The characters are likable, and the soldier scenes were pretty interesting that you can see from their point of view of what's going on. The writing by Alex Garland is pretty good, and the direction by Danny Boyle is well shotted. The only problem that I have with it, is that the beginning started out really slow, but it picks up when the infected shows up. 28 Days Later is a really great film that it's interesting to see a talented director do something like this, and make it surprisingly stand out.