28 Days Later - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

28 Days Later Reviews

January 6, 2017
best zombie movie EVER
December 5, 2016
This is NOT a zombie movie isn't it? They're "infected", not undeads. Anyways, nice thought-provoking movie with convolutely artsy camera work. -1 because army guys are felt too simplified dumbs even under race-threatening situation.
½ November 26, 2016
28 Days Later is a visceral and gritty zombie thriller that doesn't neglect it's uninfected leads.
November 21, 2016
Great horror film! Really good and a strong story to it.
November 7, 2016
instant classic on a low budget that redefined the "zombie" genre forever.
November 5, 2016
"28 Days Later" takes the clichéd zombie genre and transforms it into something very unique. Danny Boyle manages to cement the characters into the audience's hearts and not too many horror directors can do that. But here, he creates one of the most engrossing and scariest horror film of all time. It's unrelenting, grim, horrific, and completely nightmarish with it's dreary atmosphere. It's a mix of strong intelligent thinking, an artistic approach to direction, and an endless spinning narrative that engaged me right to the very core of it's scenarios. 28 Days Later defines it's genre as it's a perfect gritty horror, with a realistic and mind-boggling premise that you cannot take a breath for just a second.
November 3, 2016
If you are a zombie movie fan, this should be at the top of your "favorites" list. This movie challenges our concept of humanity with a brilliant cinematic treatment that still holds strong more than a decade later. This movie will horrify you, tug at your heartstrings, and challenge what your concept of a good zombie movie.
October 29, 2016
Generic concept, though still entertaining. The performances aren't that interesting either, though the film itself is strange enough to keep you engaged.
½ October 25, 2016
A closer modern day looking into a zombie thriller, even though technically there are no zombies present.
October 22, 2016
Menacing, grisly and bloody-brilliant to its core. 28 Days Later's combination of heart-pounding terror and gritty realism conjure up a fascinating take on a zombie/infection/plague tale and its real-world-situational trope. 4/5
½ October 17, 2016
Although the quality was a bit off putting at first, it grew on me, and the film was fantastic. Cillian Murphy is a goddamn revelation in this movie, and the film is scary as shit!
½ October 8, 2016
Quite possibly the most intelligent film with zombies, or, 'infected, in it that I've ever seen. At points, it does take some liberties with realism and so forth, but it's smart enough to actually question those liberties at points.

Intense, but smart.
½ October 8, 2016
Ghastly movie and felt like I was watching a movie from the 70's.
October 1, 2016
Danny Boyle now proved that he could direct any genre in cinema with this horror film, which I have to admit was a lot better than what I thought it was going to be like.

Cillian Murphy gives a very good performance as a survivor unaffected by a plague that has turned the country into blood-crazed zombies, and he will do everything he can in order to survive. However I would consider it to be more of a psychological thriller because there was not one moment that make me jump.

However you can still understand what is happening, because the script, despite having a lot of horrible and offensive language, is very well written, and the direction from Boyle is very solid, because the atmosphere is very tense from the start to the finish.

Also you can tell when people have been infected by the mysterious outbreak, and this is I think the main reason why the film works well, and was successful when it was first released.

There is not as much gore on screen as I thought there was going to be, so overall this is one very decent thriller from Boyle, who would now direct any genre to a good standard, but due to the amount of bad language, it is not a film that I would view again.
½ September 4, 2016
When it comes to scare factor, zombies fare much worse than the quicker and more cunning werewolves, vampires, psychopaths, aliens, mutants. Director Danny Boyle and writer Alex Garland might have thought this, and found an inventive way to reinterpret the zombie disease: What if it were contagious, extremely bloodthirsty rage? This manifests through even a single drop of contaminated blood, infecting the host within thirty seconds and driving them into a maniacal frenzy. Unlike most zombie movies, other animals can be infected too. On concept alone, I am hooked, and you know, Boyle and Garland know how to jump-scare properly. Loud noises? Pfft. How about even the slightest disturbance of ambience / silence? This even affects entire scenes that avoid any intention of jump-scaring you, most notably when Jim (Cillian Murphy) wakes up from a 28-day coma in a completely empty hospital of a completely empty London, wandering the streets in hopes for an explanation. Boyle develops a very hopeless world for our characters.

The storyline is simple enough: Our characters -- Jim, Selena (Naomie Harris), Frank (Brendan Gleeson), and his daughter Hannah (Megan Burns) -- look for a safe haven or a cure, and run into a different kind of trouble, in the form of a reformed army that needs women for starting a new society. Boyle's trademark frantic pace, best exemplified in Trainspotting, suits the horror aspect of the movie, and comes into play for the oddly effective revenge thriller of a third act. The reason it is effective is because of its context, a small group of characters whose hope is always budding, despite the increasingly hopeless world around them. Incidentally, the one character who loses sight of that is the one who literally loses sight for a moment and turns into a rage zombie. Very fun, very hip, very Danny Boyle.
½ September 2, 2016
Already commented but just watching again. The closing 10 mins are simply breath taking with the best soundtrack I've heard in any film. So much emotion and tension
½ August 22, 2016
28 days later is a clever zombie movie, the lack of guns for the majority of the film make it scarier, more realistic and it makes you like the characters more. You learn so much about them that you feel like you are one of them. However, it's not all doom and gloom, there are some funny and enjoyable moments and I liked the ending.
½ August 20, 2016
I was expecting a different movie out of this. I expected a zombie horror, with The Walking Dead action, not with very few or no infected. Nothing seemed like it was abandoned. The beginning was meh, it was a reenactment of The Walking Dead opening scene, although this was made in 2003. I only jumped once, which was unexpected for a movie like this. Other than that, the dialog and plot line sucked. The ending left us hanging about questions that may be never answered.
August 16, 2016
Oh Yeah!!! bloody good movie.
½ August 16, 2016
Great zombie flick. Scary, intense and intelligent. Sets the bar for all zombie movies to come.