28 Weeks Later... - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

28 Weeks Later... Reviews

½ June 29, 2017
Like most horror movie sequels, it's not as good as the first. But it's still a thrilling, enjoyable zombie movie that's better than most horror movie sequels.
June 2, 2017
Intense, scary, great action and one of the best zombie films!
May 8, 2017
wow, awful...just wow
½ May 7, 2017
The 21st century has been flooded with films and TV shows about zombie apocalypses, so it's difficult for any of them to stand out and feel completely fresh. But there's something about the '28' series that really hits well for me. There's something so glorious about seeing the streets of London be a wasteland that only occupies a select few living and undead.

Similar to how the Cloverfield films are related but not directly tied in, 28 Days Later is a prequel of sorts, but the characters and plot are entirely different. 28 Weeks Later picks up after London is deemed safe and virus free, as the undead have starved to death after the events of the previous film. Of course, apparently it was a good idea for the military to reoccupy London and start building up a civilization again, even though it was the center of disaster only a half a year earlier. Implausible probably, but we've never really seen an apocalyptic series that attempts to go back and restart civilization from the same area. Usually we either see everything as the apocalypse is going down, or maybe several years later. So, in that way I like what the film tried to do.

I also found the cast to be quite impressive. Not only do you have some nice lead turns from Robert Carlyle and Catherine McCormack, but you have Idris Elba, Rose Byrne, Jeremy Renner, and Imogen Poots before they became famous. All of which, do a wonderful job in roles that aren't necessarily flushed out. That partly because it's only 100 minutes long, but mostly because the film never takes a breath. That could lead to pacing and character issues, but with a non-stop action-horror, it actually works to the benefit of the experience. Adding to that experience are running zombies. Yeah, I'm looking at you every other horror film, it's cool to make them run.

But perhaps the biggest compliment I can give to the film is its utterly unpredictable. With a horror film, you expect there to be an ample amount of deaths, but the way in which Juan Carlos Fresnadillo directs the deaths is terrifyingly unexpected. And when you can't see where the terror is coming from in a horror film than you're in for something special. In all, 28 Weeks Later improves upon 'Days' scares, story, characters, and plot to make for one exciting entry in the horror/sci-fi/drama genre.

+Great performances

+Terrifying and unexpected scares

+Refreshing take on apocalyptic zombie flicks

+Unpredictable

9.0/10
April 20, 2017
Almost as awesome as the first one "28 days later."
April 18, 2017
''Even better than the original''... I don't think so...
March 25, 2017
Even though I liked the first one better, I still give it 4 stars. One of the better horror series I have seen. More of a thriller than a horror movie.
½ March 14, 2017
great film but not as good as original
½ February 26, 2017
I recently watched this back to back with the other movie and wtf happened? it's not even good. they turn the first movie that was decent into a slaughterfest where army killed people for no good reason and people didn't take necessary precautions to contain the virus. the first movie had a good reason as to why the virus was released, this movie has the immunity stereotype and poor execution on most of it. this movie didn't need to exist
February 17, 2017
I am kinda tired of zombie movies, but this one kinda standsout. The zombie movies of these days are only brains and gore, nothing else. This one changes everything.
February 8, 2017
Moral of the story: don't have kids, they'll only restart the zombie apocalypse that the adults had managed to contain.
½ February 8, 2017
A disappointing sequel. 28 Days Later is one of the best zombie movies ever. It gave us great characters that were actually smart. In this film our main characters all make completely irrational decisions. Their are still some good moments in this movie as well. I loved the take of them basically rebuilding Great Britain.
January 26, 2017
Literally couldn't get through 1/2 of it. The story was so stupid, infuriatingly stupid.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
November 6, 2016
this movie works on so many levels & although it lives in the shadow of DB's (National Treasure) original it's a fine piece of work.
½ October 27, 2016
I think I am in the minority here, but I thought this was better than the original.

Grade: B+
½ October 10, 2016
Better than the original. 28 weeks later has a compelling story with amazing and unpredictable characters and moments, lots of action, while still maintaining what we all loved about 28 days later
½ October 9, 2016
Like most of horror movie sequels, it's not as good as the first. But it's still a thrilling, enjoyable zombie movie that's better than most horror movie sequels.
½ September 15, 2016
Nothing can top 28 Days Later, but that is not a hit on 28 Weeks Later, which is definitely a worthy sequel. The atmosphere and cinematography stay on course to keep the story moving along nicely. The brutality is even heightened in a few scenes which gives 28 Weeks Later its own flair.
September 9, 2016
28 Days later left us with a feeling of hope. 28 weeks decides to snuff out that glimmer and leave us with the existential dread of a collapsed society. It also widens the lens and focuses on multi protagonists from different perspectives on a world trying to rebuild itself. Being a sequel it's more violent than its predecessor and punches you in the face with each character death. It had big shoes to fill and manages to do a remarkable job.