9 to 5 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

9 to 5 Reviews

August 11, 2016
My favorite go-to comedy. I've seen it hundreds of times and it always makes me laugh!
½ July 19, 2016
A movie that plays strictly on gender stereotypes.
July 18, 2016
The only way for women to get ahead in the business world is to abduct the boss & place more flowers around the office.
Infantile feminist fantasy. You can see cultural decay in all this stuff. Funny in theory, but simply difficult to bear. Dolly is great but Tomlin is awful. Treating pot like the magic cure-all is so boring, & already old in 1980. There's some sort of lesson to be learned from the fact that the biggest laughs in ''Nine to Five,'' as well as in several other feminist comedies, depend on enthusiastic, unabashed misanthropy. I don't feel any sympathy for them. Just stop whining. But that's why you don't get as far as men do.
March 23, 2016
9 to 5 is more generic than it's made out to be.
March 5, 2016
How have I not seen this sooner?!?!?
½ December 13, 2015
Better than I expected, this is actually pretty funny and not too girly at all, despite being a feminist classic.
October 8, 2015
its an ok 80's comedy movie with dolly parton
September 10, 2015
I've been chased by swifter men than you and I haven't been caught yet.

Three women in an office setting: a long time employee, a new girl, and the boss' secretary collaborate to get revenge on their mean spirited and evil boss. Their plan is very intricate and involves kidnapping while still trying to maintain their day-to-day life. Can the girls achieve their goals through this unusual method of trying to change their boss?

"You're going to get the hang of it and really be sorry."

Colin Higgins, director of Foul Play and The Best Little Whore House in Texas, delivers 9 to 5. The storyline for this picture is very mediocre and just okay. The comedic content was inconsistent but the acting was pretty good. The cast includes Jane Fonda, Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin, Dabney Coleman, and Henry Jones.

"I know right where to stick it."
"Good."

I came across this film on Netflix and thought it would be an entertaining film from this era. It was very mediocre with some good lines and sequences but nothing that makes this a must see or even worth recommending. I only recommend seeing this if nothing better is on.

"Here comes General Patton."

Grade: C+
July 18, 2015
I'm sure back in the day this film was very funny. I found it to be quite cheesy and a bit draggy if I'm honest. I expected a lot more for this film but I found it to fall flat.
July 10, 2015
9 to 5 is the best movie i have watched !!
½ July 3, 2015
I liked this. Simple, entertaining(although the pot dream sequences were a bit over the top for my taste) and funny. Nice deus ex machina moment at the end as well, even if it was a little far fetched.
June 29, 2015
The beginning was very funny and so were some other parts. Anybody who has worked in an office or under a terrible boss should be able to relate. Some of the sexism shown in this film has been outdated thank god. The film got a little slow in the middle and short end but for most part enjoyable and easy girl power flick to watch. I like the theme song a lot-dolly is always amazing.
June 8, 2015
Clever. Parton, Tomlin, and Fonda are perfect in the leading roles.
½ May 30, 2015
Although the performances are occasionally stagey and the direction is relatively pedestrian, "Nine to Five" is still a consistently funny feminist take on the bullshit women are forced to endure on a daily basis from "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot[s]" and features a scene-stealing turn from Dolly Parton.
May 30, 2015
Very few movies have managed to be this much fun while offering a great deal of insight into sexism and corporate cruelty. What is interesting is this movie is still a great deal of fun -- and it is shocking how much little things have changed for women and "minorities" within the corporate structure. Actually, that aspect is the most shocking of all.
May 20, 2015
It's funny as it shows female power in the office setting, but half way through, the movie starts to become dull as the girls plan to kill their boss.
½ May 15, 2015
Smart, funny, and great performances from the trio of Fonda, Tomlin, and Parton. Nine to Five is a comedic classic.
April 12, 2015
I thought this was fun, but there were points that it lagged a bit.
April 12, 2015
With The Other Woman coming out last year, and being a pretty bad movie at that, I can sense that this movie was a very obvious inspiration on that. Of course there's narrative differences, the women in the Other Woman are trying to get revenge on this guy who's sleeping with all of them behind the other's backs, whereas this film sees the women get revenge on their boss for being a sexist and ignorant idiot. The Other Woman, in spite of pretending it's all about female empowerment, was probably as sexist as they got to be honest. At the very least this film is about women being treated equally in the workplace, receiving the same pay as the men do for the same work. So even with the fact that this movie is almost 40 years old, it's as relevant as ever and will remain relevant as long as women keep getting treated unfairly for X or Y reason. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see a remake one of these days. I think a sequel, while a good idea, would probably not be as successful. I think a mixture of the two would work well. With the three women in this film all raising daughters who are facing the same problems they faced in this movie. I think that'd work well and it would combine both elements. I thought this was a good movie really, with some really talented women as the leads in this film. Kinda surprising how good Dolly Parton was considering that this was her first major acting role. I don't wanna say she's a natural but she made the transition from singer to actress better than about 95% of people who've tried. She's just got a very charismatic presence and a great voice. Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda are both great here as well. So the film was pretty much perfectly cast as it relates to the leads. Of course, no story about a sexist, egotistical pig is complete without casting someone detestable in the role that knows how to play off of the three leads. Dabney Coleman is absolutely excellent here and he knows how to play this role to perfection. Good heroines are nothing without an equally dastardly villain to play off of. As I mentioned, all the lead roles in the film are perfectly cast and I cannot complain about that one bit. The writing is also good but, unsurprisingly, some of the dialogue is a little outdated. Which is understandable considering this movie was released in 1980, eight years before I was born. I thought the movie was funny, with the comedic highlight easily being the sequences where the women fantasize about what they would do to their boss if they had the chance. Dolly Parton's character had the best one of these, in my opinion. The film does have its very silly and sitcom-y moments, like everything that happens in the hospital after Lily's character believes she has accidentally poisoned her boss and caused his death. Lily Tomlin is great here and I think she sort of alleviates the silliness of it all. The movie does drag quite a bit after this hospital sequence and I think it definitely hurts the film. While overall I thought the film was fun, it certainly dragged heavily before they confined the villain to his house and the women showed that they can run a more effective office than the 'boss' can. Not much else to say really. This is still a very socially relevant film, in spite of all its silliness, it does bring to light some of the unfairness women face in the workplace, on top of everything else they have to go through, and it's the type of movie that would benefit from a modern update. Still this is a good and fun movie to watch, even if it is a little outdated. Solid Netflix watch.
April 9, 2015
They finally get back at the wonderfully dastardly Coleman and it's a bunch of fun to watch.