9 to 5 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

9 to 5 Reviews

½ April 17, 2017
ha ha even better than i remember.
March 16, 2017
This was a movie that the wife and I finally revisited recently and I have to say that it's still fairly amusing, though I can't say how well it holds up since I haven't seen it since it was on television when I was a kid. The idea of secretaries taking revenge on their sexist boss is fun, but I honestly found myself falling down in the logic of some of the film, especially in how it might resolve itself.

Worth a rental for the romp.
March 11, 2017
A rambunctious office comedy, albeit foolish, about women running the working place in the absence of their sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical and bigoted male boss.
August 11, 2016
My favorite go-to comedy. I've seen it hundreds of times and it always makes me laugh!
½ July 19, 2016
A movie that plays strictly on gender stereotypes.
July 18, 2016
The only way for women to get ahead in the business world is to abduct the boss & place more flowers around the office.
Infantile feminist fantasy. You can see cultural decay in all this stuff. Funny in theory, but simply difficult to bear. Dolly is great but Tomlin is awful. Treating pot like the magic cure-all is so boring, & already old in 1980. There's some sort of lesson to be learned from the fact that the biggest laughs in ''Nine to Five,'' as well as in several other feminist comedies, depend on enthusiastic, unabashed misanthropy. I don't feel any sympathy for them. Just stop whining. But that's why you don't get as far as men do.
March 23, 2016
9 to 5 is more generic than it's made out to be.
March 5, 2016
How have I not seen this sooner?!?!?
½ December 13, 2015
Better than I expected, this is actually pretty funny and not too girly at all, despite being a feminist classic.
October 8, 2015
its an ok 80's comedy movie with dolly parton
September 10, 2015
I've been chased by swifter men than you and I haven't been caught yet.

Three women in an office setting: a long time employee, a new girl, and the boss' secretary collaborate to get revenge on their mean spirited and evil boss. Their plan is very intricate and involves kidnapping while still trying to maintain their day-to-day life. Can the girls achieve their goals through this unusual method of trying to change their boss?

"You're going to get the hang of it and really be sorry."

Colin Higgins, director of Foul Play and The Best Little Whore House in Texas, delivers 9 to 5. The storyline for this picture is very mediocre and just okay. The comedic content was inconsistent but the acting was pretty good. The cast includes Jane Fonda, Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin, Dabney Coleman, and Henry Jones.

"I know right where to stick it."
"Good."

I came across this film on Netflix and thought it would be an entertaining film from this era. It was very mediocre with some good lines and sequences but nothing that makes this a must see or even worth recommending. I only recommend seeing this if nothing better is on.

"Here comes General Patton."

Grade: C+
July 18, 2015
I'm sure back in the day this film was very funny. I found it to be quite cheesy and a bit draggy if I'm honest. I expected a lot more for this film but I found it to fall flat.
July 10, 2015
9 to 5 is the best movie i have watched !!
½ July 3, 2015
I liked this. Simple, entertaining(although the pot dream sequences were a bit over the top for my taste) and funny. Nice deus ex machina moment at the end as well, even if it was a little far fetched.
June 29, 2015
The beginning was very funny and so were some other parts. Anybody who has worked in an office or under a terrible boss should be able to relate. Some of the sexism shown in this film has been outdated thank god. The film got a little slow in the middle and short end but for most part enjoyable and easy girl power flick to watch. I like the theme song a lot-dolly is always amazing.
June 8, 2015
Clever. Parton, Tomlin, and Fonda are perfect in the leading roles.
½ May 30, 2015
Although the performances are occasionally stagey and the direction is relatively pedestrian, "Nine to Five" is still a consistently funny feminist take on the bullshit women are forced to endure on a daily basis from "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot[s]" and features a scene-stealing turn from Dolly Parton.
May 30, 2015
Very few movies have managed to be this much fun while offering a great deal of insight into sexism and corporate cruelty. What is interesting is this movie is still a great deal of fun -- and it is shocking how much little things have changed for women and "minorities" within the corporate structure. Actually, that aspect is the most shocking of all.
May 20, 2015
It's funny as it shows female power in the office setting, but half way through, the movie starts to become dull as the girls plan to kill their boss.
½ May 15, 2015
Smart, funny, and great performances from the trio of Fonda, Tomlin, and Parton. Nine to Five is a comedic classic.