A Serious Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Serious Man Reviews

½ April 5, 2017
Worst Coen movie Ive seen. This movie ending was retarded. Also, this movie continually kept using Jewish terms and never explaining what they meant-very annoying. I found the entire film boring and annoying mostly. Never got to a point and was very tedious. You keep waiting for the main character to grow a pair of balls or do something and he never does other than talk to idiot rabbis. I didnt even like a lot of the up close shots they chose. Other than the style decor of 60s this movie sucked. How did this get nominated for best picture-perhaps the critics were bribed like the main character.
January 30, 2017
A Serious Man is another very overrated work from two very overrated directors. It has its intriguing moments, the prologue is very interesting and the premise is actually quite fascinating, but the Coen brothers wasted such a great premise on such a poor execution with far from great performances and an unfortunate lack of focus plus there is no point to it whatsoever.
January 29, 2017
Not sure how anyone can like this movie -it is a caricature of Judaism,
with enough angst to make Woody Allen appear absolutely stable! This is
just an exercise in self-indulgence by the Coen brothers and whatever
other 'artist' felt we had to be subjected to this drivel. To
paraphrase another reviewer - it has no action, no suspense, no plot,
no ending... Don't waste your time
January 28, 2017
God has a plan for him, and it's not good!
At the end of Fargo, another Coen brothers film, I had to sit there for a moment and all I could think was, "Wow!" I had the same "wow" moment at the end of this one, probably more so.
January 27, 2017
The Coen Brothers present their latest film, A Serious Man. Michael Stuhlbarg is Larry Gopnik, a physics teacher which two kids and a wife. He is on the verge of making tenure, and his son is getting ready for his bar mitzvah everything seems to be looking up. This seems to be collapsing however when his wife announces she wants to divorce him, kick him out of the house and leave him for a much older man. His brother is in trouble and has the law after him. A Korean student attempts to bribe him for a non-failing grade, and he the troubles keeping piling on.

As all of these events occur Gopnik seems to have his life spiraling out of control all because of circumstances that are beyond his control. He turns to his faith, he turns to his family, and even to his neighbors, but none of them seem to really offer a way out any of his troubles. More events such as bills, funerals, and gambling debts have Gopnik's need for money piling up.

A serious man is a for lack of a better words, a serious comedy from the Coen brothers. The film is not one of the goofier or slapstick comedies such as Miller's Crossing, Hail Caesar or O Brother Where Art Thou. The film is not as dark or morbid as Fargo. The film does still have many characteristics of Coen Brothers films. Many of their films feature characters that seem to have events occur to them out of nowhere with no cause or reason for it. There is a mysterious rabbi that is similar to the mysterious boss that was in the comedy Intolerable Cruelty. A serious man really is a tough film to gauge, and it does not particularly stand out among so many of films they have made. I am certain that because I am not particularly familiar with the Jewish culture, I did miss up on several comedic references throughout the film. Void of violence and extreme measures make this film a change of pace for the Coen Brothers, but this film does not leave much to hang its hat on. A serious man is overall a good film, but not a film that can really be recommended even though it is a better film than many of their other comedies. Stuhlbarg does a good job leading a pretty unrecognizable cast, and perhaps bigger names would have been the only thing that would have warranted granting this movie a bigger audience. I certainly was surprised to see the film nominated for best picture and best writing, but this film does have somewhat of that sophisticated feel to it that the Oscars typically clamor for.

-1.27.2017
½ January 18, 2017
i love the coen brothers but this 1:45 movie feels like five hours.
January 17, 2017
Flat out terrific, another masterpiece by the Coens.
½ January 14, 2017
I think everyone can relate to someone here and it gives you a chance to ponder for yourself... What does it all mean?
January 14, 2017
An overlooked Coen's brothers masterpiece.*great movie
½ January 12, 2017
1/11/17 We had already seen this at some point, but I didn't remember much at all about it. Usually, that is a bad sign, but this is an enjoyable film. It is just interesting to sit back and watch what happens to this family. There is a bit of dry humor, which I tend to enjoy when in the right mood. It isn't a long film, so it is worth the time commitment if you like the Coen brothers and a film that is a bit quirky.
½ January 11, 2017
This bizarre tragi-comedy should fail on every level, but it doesn't, proving just how masterful the Coen Brothers really are at crafting a story. A Serious Man raises to the heights of some of their best work, being equally thought provoking and ridiculous, with a stellar performance from Michael Stuhlbarg.
½ December 16, 2016
Gotta love the Coen Brothers where every little thing has importance in someway and may or may not show up again later in the film.
December 4, 2016
The acting is good but I definitely missed the point of this one.
November 20, 2016
Melancholy to an almost disturbing extent, A Serious Man plays sick humor and pitying emotion into nearly all of life's problems, and definitely isn't interested in offering any solutions. It can't help but feel half-baked at times, but, when coming from directors like the Coens, we know that this is absolutely purposeful.
November 7, 2016
That's the true spirit of Coen bros,they give you a hard candy that you wish to chew on n on.Loved this dark comedy.
November 2, 2016
With Coens what goes in never comes out. But here, it's broken the tradition. Funny, but it sure makes some impact on us.
October 28, 2016
Take out the usual Coen-isms and you're left with a very dull movie.
½ September 6, 2016
The editing is alright, and Michael Stuhlbarg's acting isn't bad; but other than that this was the most horrible piece of shit garbage movie I have seen all year. The directing is super lazy, the writing is horrible, the structure is abominable, the photography and sound are mediocre, the humor is just pathetic and tries to be absurd but misses terribly. The characters are undeveloped and the movie says nothing at all. I think I got most of the symbolism, and there was still no coherence I could get out of this film. There is no point to its creation, and it's amazing to see how such amazing moviemakers as the Coens could manage to make such a spectacular waste of time piece of dog shit like this film. I love the Coens, but this was just insulting.
Maybe there is some jewish humor that I didn't understand, or something, but watching as an outsider, instead of being an interesting look towards Jewish culture and society, it had no point at all, no meat, no bones, no head or feet. It was a spectacularly terribly done movie that I don't recommend to anyone who has the chance to watch a not so shitty movie like this one.
August 22, 2016
Best movie I ever saw. Masterpiece
August 13, 2016
I think it was alright.
I can't really remember what I thought about this film.
?