A Serious Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Serious Man Reviews

December 4, 2016
The acting is good but I definitely missed the point of this one.
November 20, 2016
Melancholy to an almost disturbing extent, A Serious Man plays sick humor and pitying emotion into nearly all of life's problems, and definitely isn't interested in offering any solutions. It can't help but feel half-baked at times, but, when coming from directors like the Coens, we know that this is absolutely purposeful.
November 7, 2016
That's the true spirit of Coen bros,they give you a hard candy that you wish to chew on n on.Loved this dark comedy.
November 2, 2016
With Coens what goes in never comes out. But here, it's broken the tradition. Funny, but it sure makes some impact on us.
October 28, 2016
Take out the usual Coen-isms and you're left with a very dull movie.
½ September 6, 2016
The editing is alright, and Michael Stuhlbarg's acting isn't bad; but other than that this was the most horrible piece of shit garbage movie I have seen all year. The directing is super lazy, the writing is horrible, the structure is abominable, the photography and sound are mediocre, the humor is just pathetic and tries to be absurd but misses terribly. The characters are undeveloped and the movie says nothing at all. I think I got most of the symbolism, and there was still no coherence I could get out of this film. There is no point to its creation, and it's amazing to see how such amazing moviemakers as the Coens could manage to make such a spectacular waste of time piece of dog shit like this film. I love the Coens, but this was just insulting.
Maybe there is some jewish humor that I didn't understand, or something, but watching as an outsider, instead of being an interesting look towards Jewish culture and society, it had no point at all, no meat, no bones, no head or feet. It was a spectacularly terribly done movie that I don't recommend to anyone who has the chance to watch a not so shitty movie like this one.
August 22, 2016
Best movie I ever saw. Masterpiece
August 13, 2016
I think it was alright.
I can't really remember what I thought about this film.
?
½ August 1, 2016
The Coen brothers chose the most perfect actors for this hilarious farce, their most personal work to date which splendidly combines dark humor and Jewish existential questions, and I can easily imagine them saying that if not even God gives us all the answers why the hell should they?
½ July 17, 2016
I just watched this for a second time, and it only reinforced the zeal that I feel for this funny and disturbing picture. It's more Coen than any other in recent memory. It's to be enjoyed, pondered, and feared in its own way.
July 1, 2016
The attention to detail and the entertaining script are enough to make the movie enjoyable. Though it ends suddenly, that appears to be the point: a mere snippet of these people's lives as Jews in the 60's. I liked the idea that a lot happens to the main character before and after we meet him. Very entertaining film with an interesting perspective on life. It's probably even more meaningful for those who grew up in the Jewish community.
June 5, 2016
100306: *** Plot Reveal ***
An interesting movie that kept me quite entertained at times. Some quiet laughs. The ending seemed confusing at first and I had to go back and watch it again to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. The movie does not end well for Larry Gopnik I'm afraid. Finally giving into the bribe that was offered him seems to result in his demise. Immediately after he changes the "F" to a "C-", his Doctor calls requesting a visit and a tornado lands near his son/home.
April 20, 2016
Fantastic comedy and great characters played by great actors, all presented in a way which feels realistic, despite how goofy it can be
½ April 9, 2016
Had it's moments (i in particular liked the parts with Clive ,the Oriental student who wants the protagonist to break the rules because he failed physics,and his father which i found hilarious) but was mostly boring. There were other humourous moments also. However i personally felt like it was a bit pretentious with little meaning to some of the things of going on. Maybe i will have to watch it again to see if i can figure out some of them.
April 2, 2016
Mature, intense, smart and filled with symbolisms A Serious Man is different from everythin the Coen Brothers have ever done before, but it feels rewarding even if not fully comprehended.
½ March 27, 2016
Worst movie ever with no redeeming value. After watching this, you know the Coen brothers left the world worse off: if there is such a thing as "the opposite of art", this movie is it.
March 24, 2016
Sy Ableman: "I'm a serious man, Larry."

The story is about a Midwestern physics teacher, watches his life unravel over multiple sudden incidents. Though seeking meaning and answers amidst his turmoils, he seems to keep sinking.

'A Serious Man' has to be the Coen Brothers most unappreciated movie when it comes to naming the Coen Brothers best movies, and yes there's plenty of outstanding movies from them, but lets not overlook movies such as this. The Coen Brothers have yet to disappoint me, even through I haven't seen every movie from them, but the ones I have watched I've given glowing reviews and so is this one, because 'A Serious Man' is a superb and wonderful piece of film making that I can't believe it took me this long to watch it.

The Coens are masters of film making and there's no point of me pointing that out for you, since you can watch one of they movies (expect for The Ladykillers) and see the brilliance in the dialogue scenes and the reverse shots by them keeping the shots simple but precise enough to keep you engaged. And in this movie, the Coens did just that and that's take a simple man like Larry Gopnik (Michael Stuhlbarg) and put him in an endless cycle of torment, for serious or comedic effect. That's what I was so amazed by from start till finish, not because of the writing or the cinematography (which are perfect by the way), but that I easily related to the main characters struggle and the dying questions about his own religion and he's life. Many times in the movie Larry tries to seek help and answers, but gets shut out or doesn't get satisfying answers. This hit home for me as I know what that's like. Bravo Coens.

Michael Stuhlbarg was absolutely fantastic in this movie and it's honestly one of he's best performance of his career (In my opinion). Stuhlbarg really dose bring a lot of emotion, depth and the human side to this character that we can easily simplify with. His reactions to hellish situations was spot on and realistic. It's hard to believe that he didn't get at least an Oscar nomination for this and just the thought of it is really hard to digest. Brilliantly performance Michael Stuhlbarg.

Roger Deakins is one of the best cinematography's working today and it wasn't surprising that the best part of this movie was the cinematography, as it was flawless. Most of the time the camera is right close up to the characters and it has a wide lens to it so you would feel a sense of presence of being right there with somebody. It really dose add a lot to the scenes in this movie, I mean it made some scenes of the movie uncomfortable or kind of funny. That's the work of Roger Deakins everyone and it's glorious.

I'm not going to spoil the ending to this movie, because I hate when people do that in reviews without any warnings, but let me tell you that the ending is such a gut-punch and will leave you completely speechless.

Now for the problems: ...

Overall 'A Serious Man' is an outstanding movie with brilliant performances from everyone and top notch writing from the Coens. If haven't seen this movie yet, then do yourself a favor and watch it.
March 20, 2016
One of the Coens' most underrated films, A Serious Man is a modern take on the Biblical parable of Job. The dialogue is crisp and hilarious, as we've come to expect from the Coens. I think a lot of folks might find this film too bleak, and while it is bleak, it's also really funny. Although it's a small part of the film, the portrayal of middle-school male-dom is hilariously spot-on. My only real complaint is the green color-correction, which is a little distracting. Otherwise absolutely worth seeing if you're a fan of the Coen Bros.
March 20, 2016
Perhaps the most restrained and mature of the Cohen films, A Serious Man is far from solely serious but touches on a wide range of emotions and themes not often witnessed in films these days. A downward spiral or chaos with twistedly hilarious moments as well, this is a horror film depicting not the horrors of death or blood or torture, but the horrors of banality.