A Serious Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Serious Man Reviews

January 17, 2017
Flat out terrific, another masterpiece by the Coens.
½ January 14, 2017
I think everyone can relate to someone here and it gives you a chance to ponder for yourself... What does it all mean?
January 14, 2017
An overlooked Coen's brothers masterpiece.*great movie
½ January 12, 2017
1/11/17 We had already seen this at some point, but I didn't remember much at all about it. Usually, that is a bad sign, but this is an enjoyable film. It is just interesting to sit back and watch what happens to this family. There is a bit of dry humor, which I tend to enjoy when in the right mood. It isn't a long film, so it is worth the time commitment if you like the Coen brothers and a film that is a bit quirky.
½ January 11, 2017
This bizarre tragi-comedy should fail on every level, but it doesn't, proving just how masterful the Coen Brothers really are at crafting a story. A Serious Man raises to the heights of some of their best work, being equally thought provoking and ridiculous, with a stellar performance from Michael Stuhlbarg.
½ December 16, 2016
Gotta love the Coen Brothers where every little thing has importance in someway and may or may not show up again later in the film.
December 4, 2016
The acting is good but I definitely missed the point of this one.
November 20, 2016
Melancholy to an almost disturbing extent, A Serious Man plays sick humor and pitying emotion into nearly all of life's problems, and definitely isn't interested in offering any solutions. It can't help but feel half-baked at times, but, when coming from directors like the Coens, we know that this is absolutely purposeful.
November 7, 2016
That's the true spirit of Coen bros,they give you a hard candy that you wish to chew on n on.Loved this dark comedy.
November 2, 2016
With Coens what goes in never comes out. But here, it's broken the tradition. Funny, but it sure makes some impact on us.
October 28, 2016
Take out the usual Coen-isms and you're left with a very dull movie.
½ September 6, 2016
The editing is alright, and Michael Stuhlbarg's acting isn't bad; but other than that this was the most horrible piece of shit garbage movie I have seen all year. The directing is super lazy, the writing is horrible, the structure is abominable, the photography and sound are mediocre, the humor is just pathetic and tries to be absurd but misses terribly. The characters are undeveloped and the movie says nothing at all. I think I got most of the symbolism, and there was still no coherence I could get out of this film. There is no point to its creation, and it's amazing to see how such amazing moviemakers as the Coens could manage to make such a spectacular waste of time piece of dog shit like this film. I love the Coens, but this was just insulting.
Maybe there is some jewish humor that I didn't understand, or something, but watching as an outsider, instead of being an interesting look towards Jewish culture and society, it had no point at all, no meat, no bones, no head or feet. It was a spectacularly terribly done movie that I don't recommend to anyone who has the chance to watch a not so shitty movie like this one.
August 22, 2016
Best movie I ever saw. Masterpiece
August 13, 2016
I think it was alright.
I can't really remember what I thought about this film.
?
½ August 1, 2016
The Coen brothers chose the most perfect actors for this hilarious farce, their most personal work to date which splendidly combines dark humor and Jewish existential questions, and I can easily imagine them saying that if not even God gives us all the answers why the hell should they?
½ July 17, 2016
I just watched this for a second time, and it only reinforced the zeal that I feel for this funny and disturbing picture. It's more Coen than any other in recent memory. It's to be enjoyed, pondered, and feared in its own way.
July 1, 2016
The attention to detail and the entertaining script are enough to make the movie enjoyable. Though it ends suddenly, that appears to be the point: a mere snippet of these people's lives as Jews in the 60's. I liked the idea that a lot happens to the main character before and after we meet him. Very entertaining film with an interesting perspective on life. It's probably even more meaningful for those who grew up in the Jewish community.
June 5, 2016
100306: *** Plot Reveal ***
An interesting movie that kept me quite entertained at times. Some quiet laughs. The ending seemed confusing at first and I had to go back and watch it again to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. The movie does not end well for Larry Gopnik I'm afraid. Finally giving into the bribe that was offered him seems to result in his demise. Immediately after he changes the "F" to a "C-", his Doctor calls requesting a visit and a tornado lands near his son/home.
April 20, 2016
Fantastic comedy and great characters played by great actors, all presented in a way which feels realistic, despite how goofy it can be