A United Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A United Kingdom Reviews

April 20, 2018
A United Kingdom is a fantastic film. It is about King Seretse Khama of Botswana and how his loving but controversial marriage to a British white woman, Ruth Williams. David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Amma Asante did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. A United Kingdom is a must see.
½ April 13, 2018
I like history in film. Nice recreation of the love of the prince with an english commoner. The film depicts it very well and makes points of the strenghts and weakenesses/flaws of all participants that contributed toward the good ending. Trade won the war, apparently, for the love.
April 4, 2018
Gone Girl has gone mental over marrying MLK
A UNITED KINGDOM
You've seen it, the impossible love story that tells us that love conquers all (cue the puke).Yet, the irony in this movie's title can't go unnoticed, in a time when our beloved UK is increasingly more separate. The title isn't a coincidence. It's a marketing ploy and, mostly, a political statement warning us about the drawbacks of Brexit. Whether you are in favor or not, this movie reminds you of a generic yet true message: that love has no borders, race or creed and we shouldn't incite separation between to lovers via a contract that has our political and economical agenda in mind. Sparking discussion is what this movie should do but... won't, as the average spectator will leave the theatre after crying over the happy ending and never give it another thought. I do not blame this on the audience, however, as I believe that inherently smart movies will intuitively lead to smart conversations. The problem is that there's nothing too relevant about this movie, nothing to praiseworthy. Except for the underwhelming music, everything else is just average. Yet I would say that the script needed way more doctoring as I felt a lack of emotional attachment. You see, a screenplay should be as pragmatic as possible but within that "as possible" there has to be room to breathe: scenes, movements, dialogue that doesn't overtly contribute to advance the plot. That's what makes us invest and believe in the reality the movie is trying to sell us which is lacking. Other thing that is worth mentioning about this movie is its female direction which is felt only in the way Asante treats her female characters (I'm not sure it should be felt in any other way). It made me realize that one of the last movies from a female director that I saw in theatres was DuVernay's Selma which also dealt with racism, although with more craftsmanship. But the reality of the matter is that if we are to have gender equality in our industry, women shouldn't be confined to directing female-driven o race related movies. They should direct action, musicals, average movies, crappy movies, the whole spectrum! A directorial effort should be regarded despite gender and bringing female directors wouldn't necessary bring better movies, but would certainly bring more varied ones. Returning to the film, do not get me wrong, this is an imporant and fairly well told story that you should check out if not only to learn something. But having just recovered from Oscar season, I need more.
½ March 24, 2018
moving story. Why hasn't this been produced before??
½ March 24, 2018
The two leads had great chemistry. The story was a bit cliched but they managed to carry it and make it watchable.
March 8, 2018
Perhaps a bit by-the-numbers in terms of true early-20th century stories of rebellion, but the strength of the love story at its core is what saves the day and inspires cheers.
January 25, 2018
O Rei de um pais da africa está na Inglaterra estudando e se apaixona e casa com uma branca britânica, e ai quando resolve voltar para seu pais para assumir o trono acaba descobrindo que vai ter que lutar contra o racismo de seu pais e da Inglaterra, porém eles não desistem e vão até o final.....
½ January 18, 2018
Amazing story - love vs the political world
January 2, 2018
This was a lovely movie. If you like feel-good movies inspired by true stories and historical dramas, then you may like this movie. The two lead actors are absolutely brilliant in everything they do, and they were a joy to watch in this movie. Rosamund Pike is one of the greatest actresses of her generation (and so underappreciated).
December 31, 2017
Great story, well done, good cast!
December 26, 2017
To say that this is a love story only describes the first part of this movie. The focus shifts (and rightly so) to the inevitable repercussions of what such a marriage would inflict on the world stage. However, the split of the focus between the love story, the local politics, and the international politics dilutes the film's intensity so that none of the themes truly gets explored. The existential threat of South Africa's poisonous practice of apartheid remains only that: existential. The story would have benefited more from seeing all of the world powers at play, since that is what makes this particular love story unique. What keeps this movie from being boring are the performances by not only its leads in Oyelowo and Pike, but also the supporting cast in Davenport and Felton.
November 24, 2017
What a difference those notes at the end can make. For a lot of the film I was thinking - assuming - it was a lot of polished up people-pleasing crap. Turns out it was a lot truer than I imagined. I don't doubt some of the details along the way were manipulated for dramatic purposes but ultimately, and given the historical reality, it's an amazing, inspirational story. 8.2 out of 10.
½ November 11, 2017
Nice job . Acting . And story ...
½ November 5, 2017
Interesting slice of history. Strong and undeniable love conquers all and opens many eyes.
October 31, 2017
An interesting story. We don't often see films where there are so many different angles for the racism to explore.
½ October 21, 2017
"A United Kingdom is an old-fashioned, historical romance that works because of the strong performances by David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike"
DVD Movie Review: A United Kingdom
Date Viewed: June 7 2017
Directed By Amma Asante (A Way of Life and Belle)
Written By Guy Hibbert
Starring: David Oyelowo, Rosamund Pike, Terry Pheto, Vusi Kunene, Jack Davenport, Jack Lowden, Tom Felton, Charlotte Hope, Anton Lesser, Nicholas Lyndhurst, Anastasia Hille, Laura Carmichael and Jessica Oyelowo.

Despite it being too sweet and predictable, "A United Kingdom" is a well-told, true-life love story with two compelling performances from David Oyelowo (who also co-produced) and Rosamund Pike. Seretse Khama and Ruth Williams seemed like the perfect match but they had to break many barriers. Their families, the South African and British governments didn't welcome their proposed marriage so they tried everything in their power to keep them apart.

Based on a true story, "A United Kingdom" takes place in 1947 after WWII where we meet King Seretse Khama (Oyelowo), the heir to the throne of Botswana. He's currently studying law in London but everything changes when he meets a white woman named Ruth Williams (Pike). She's only an office worker but he falls in love with her anyway but they are soon greeted by protests from all angles. Both of their families, the governments of Britain and South Africa and the people of Botswana all shout their outrage and disagreement with the King being in a relationship with a white woman.

With relations between the U.K. and South Africa at a standstill, King Seretse does everything he can to stabilize his region and unite the people of Botswana but it won't be easy. Seretse also discovers that the British have allowed a U.S. mining operation to take place in the region without his consent or knowledge. Eventually the people of Botswana do warm up to Ruth but the British led by representative Alistair Canning (Jack Davenport) decide to exile the King from his own country leaving his pregnant wife behind.

King Seretse's only hope of ever returning to Botswana is to see if Churchill gets elected as U.K. Prime Minister because he promises to lift Seretse's five-year exile if he gets elected. When Churchill does get elected PM, he breaks the King's promise and he ups the ante by simply extending his exile from five years to forever. This news causes outrage from all sides including the people of Botswana and King Seretse even gets support from the American government. Battered and wounded but not willing to give in, King Seretse will not let racial intolerance get in the way of marrying the love of his life.

In addition to fine performances from Oyelowo and Pike, the movie also has rich cinematography by Sam McCurdy and the screenplay by Guy Hibbert (Eye in the Sky) is solidly enchanting. How can you not like David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike? They're terrific performers who have seen their star powers really glow in recent years. Who knew that the patrol officer from "Derailed" and the MI7 behavioral psychologist from "Johnny English Reborn" would become top-notch actors in really great movies such as "Selma" and "Gone Girl".

"A United Kingdom" is an old-fashioned, historical romance that works because of the strong performances by David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike.
½ October 15, 2017
You have to watch this film to understand who Seretse Khama is, and why was he able to run Botswana successfully. Great performance from David Oyelowo.
October 14, 2017
Enjoyable and informative about Botswana.
October 14, 2017
Love conquers all in this romantic drama. (Oyelowo's) character is the heir to be king in his country when he falls for an English girl (Pike) and during the apartheid in Africa both countries will not allow their marriage to go ahead or for them to love together. Stirring true life drama and a feel good movie
½ October 12, 2017
Good acting and cinematography. I was not familiar with the history of Botswana, so this was eye opening. I didn't know that Churchill was such a shit. Great men can really be despicable sometimes.