A United Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A United Kingdom Reviews

May 14, 2017
Beautiful story of love.
May 10, 2017
'A United Kingdom' is a fascinating story that despite its minor issues is well told, well acted and has some terrific cinematography.
May 7, 2017
A true story. A great cast. And yet a disjointed, schmaltzy, twee movie which lacks rhythm or anything to really captivate. Patchy direction, bristling with cliche and although the performances are perfectly good, it doesn't work. Felt like the story was seized upon and the film was worked in a systematic fashion. For a film about colour - it lacked colour.
May 7, 2017
Apart from the actors and proposed story, there isn't much greatness to latch onto in A United Kingdom. This comes across as a low-risk telling of a story that must've been more riveting, passionate, and dramatic in real life. Not bad and crafted well enough, but when the safe avenue is taken with subject matter like this, it restrains the film by building a low ceiling.
May 4, 2017
Despite its great performances and the relevance of the story it wants to tell, A United Kingdom is perhaps a bit too conventional to be memorable. Full review on filmotrope. com
April 30, 2017
Feel good film with great acting and interesting plot
April 24, 2017
Exceptional movie, well played with emotion and depth.Loved it
½ April 23, 2017
Such a beautiful movie...based on a true story....shed a few tears....good cast....really well done!
April 19, 2017
A fine true story with great performances from David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike. Highly recommended!!
April 15, 2017
This was a really awesome movie! I enjoyed the main characters' story and their love of each other thru such hardship.
April 14, 2017
This movie made my cry for so many reasons. We've come a long way with blue global race relations, but we still have a long way to go.

Wonderfully acted, fascinating plot. Was surprised that the majority of the plot was more about political intrigue than romance.
April 6, 2017
Great true story. Certainly paints the government at the time in a very bad light. It's all about the money ...unbelievable.
April 4, 2017
Solid period piece with a good story to tell. Especially enjoyed the emphasis on English imperialism and their command and control style with their colonies and territories. For me that was the true story here, not racism which I think the film tries to make the centerpiece. The movie visually was enjoyable to watch with a smooth ride up till the end. Definitely worth seeing.
April 2, 2017
Beautiful performances, true story and restore faith that when you are true to your values, good things can happen.
April 1, 2017
another mix race propaganda
March 26, 2017
Although this movie may seem a story of racial bias and diplomatic ball game, it is really about a story of deep love. How it can overcome almost any adeversity life may throw at it. A very well crafted movie. One of the very best.
½ March 26, 2017
Grade: A-

Rating: PG-13, 111 minutes

In a Nutshell: Based on a true story, this lovely film illustrates how love and reason can change a crazy world. Bula!

If you'd like to know more about the real people in this story, you can read Colour Bar: A United Kingdom by Susan Williams.

Uplifting theme:
Duty, honor, sacrifice, patience, tolerance, patriotism
Love
"We should not be fighting for segregation. We should be fighting for equality." - Seretse Khama (David Oyelowo)
"Africa can never be free until all those who live in her, white and black, recognize that race must have no bearing on equality and justice." - Seretse Khama
"Opposition is one thing, Mr. Khama; the realities of government are quite another." - Alistair Canning (Jack Davenport)
"You have to be strong. You have a voice. Use it." - Naledi (Terry Pheto)
"No man is free who is not master of himself." - Seretse
"It is time!" - Seretse

Things I liked:
I had never even heard of Bechuanland. Have you? In 1966, it achieved independence and is now known as the Republic of Botswana. I'm always happy to learn new things in movies.
I love seeing a proper marriage proposal when the man gets on one knee. Well done, Seretse. Nelson Mandela described the marriage between Seretse and Ruth as "a shining beacon of light and inspiration." Wouldn't that be amazing to have someone describe your marriage and legacy like that?
David Oyelowo is absolutely fantastic in this. How about an Oscar for him? I also loved him in Selma. Great movie.
Rosamund Pike is great in this also. She was crazy good in Gone Girl too, crazy being the key word in that sentence. Her subtle expressions say so much.
Director Amma Asante has a bright future.
The scene where the women sing a song to Ruth was so touching.
I thought it was funny when Ruth's parents said, "Mind yourself!" and "Come back a missionary!" when she left the house.

Things I didn't like:
There are some very ugly racial slurs and prejudiced behavior.
I've never understood parents who refuse to see their children again if they do something they don't like.
A lot of the Extras are terrible actors. Then again, they're natives who aren't actors.
It's good to see Malfoy (Tom Felton) cast in another movie. Unfortunately, he plays an equally cruel, weaselly snake in this film too.
Interesting lines:
"He scares me a bit...the way he makes me feel." - Ruth
"I know I will never achieve anything there if I leave my heart here." - Seretse
"We'll take it moment by moment...together." - Ruth
"They're trying to define us, based on their rules, their idea of the world how they see it." - Seretse
"Let's not allow the ugliness of this world take away the joy from us." - Seretse
"Let him go. We need him more than you." - Naledi
"We've misjudged this, haven't we?"- Ruth
"When a man tells a lie, he loses his dignity." - Seretse

Funny lines:
"Did I ever tell you I didn't marry you just for your good looks?" - Seretse
"Liar." - Ruth (as she pulls up her skirt to reveal her beautiful legs.)

Tips for parents:
Some profanity.
Some violence, bullying, and racism.
Talk to your children about apartheid and segregation.
There is some skin shown during a honeymoon moment.
Some subtitles.
Young children will be bored, but Tweens will be interested in the love story and historical telling.
½ March 24, 2017
Nice piece of historical drama based on true events. The acting is top notch and the subject makes for a good right vs. wrong story. The cinematography is also top notch.
March 24, 2017
One of my biggest pet peeves is a film that says it is "based on a true story", especially when they take a true story and completely embellish it to the point of falsehood just to make it entertaining (see: "Hidden Figures"). Here is a case of at least the entire plot being verified history. Seretse Khama and Ruth Williams Khama joined together in marriage in one of the most prominent and controversial interracial unions in the history of the Western world. They knew they were going to have to face arduous opposition from governments and even their own families, but they did it anyway. Their story exposed the absurdity of the South African apartheid regime and the de facto racism of the United Kingdom at that time. The enlightened realization that race has no genetic basis was a long time coming, and the triumphs of the Khamas and the people of Botswana played an essential role in legitimizing this truth. Then there's that guy who played Draco in the "Harry Potter" movies as a sniveling, petulant liaison to the British Ambassador of Botswana. Does that guy ever attempt a role that is out of his typecast? Obviously, the bureaucrats that exile Khama and try to keep Botswana down are jerks that deserve the bad press, but their mustache-twiddling malice constantly smacks you over the head. There's nothing subtle about who the bad racist white people are as they're characterized for maximum gumption-riling and satisfactory comeuppance. Maybe those people did have that much malice in real life, and maybe they need to tick off the audience like they do. By the consummatory ending, the film managed to gut-punch a few tears out of me, and I was willing to forgive being manipulated a bit. It's just too bad that southern Africa isn't very exciting to look at.
March 24, 2017
A United Kingdom is one of the most well-crafted, uplifting, and riveting films based on a true story I've seen this year, and it's definitely one of the year's best films!