About Schmidt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

About Schmidt Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
73%
Saw this on 20/7/16
A poorly written story is saved almost entirely by Nicholson and some comdey here and there.Ultimately the film is forgettable, which is its worst defect.
July 20, 2016
About Schmidt showcases Jack Nicholson's phenomenal acting abilities. He portrayed the character with absolute credibility it was impossible not to connect or relate to him.
June 25, 2016
Top movie jack Nicholson is the King
April 27, 2016
Good movie, but bad ending
½ April 26, 2016
Recently retired and widowed, a Midwestern man takes his rv cross country to visit his estranged daughter who is getting married. Kathy Bates gives a movie saving performance in a film which borrows origins from other mid life late life self seeking road trip movies that have more ambition than Schmitt himself portrays.
½ March 26, 2016
the way it is presented. Everywhere you look this movie is labeled as a ''comedy'' which is awfully misconceiving. Sure ''About Schmidt'' as funny moments and is sometimes full of light hearted fun, but that isnt the main theme of the movie, it really isnt. Because of how this movie is labeled people expected a comedy, starring old man Jack Nicholson, who wouldn't want to see that, i sure would, but instead they got an incredibly powerful, emotional character study on a broken man's life. It's an incredible movie, i will say that, but because it's billed as a comedy, audiences probably left the theatre upset and disappointed, hence the ''low'' score on each movie site i looked at, which is a shame, because "About Schmidt'' is truly an incredible film.
Jack Nicholson proves us yet again that he truly is one of the best actors to have ever lived, even as an old man he still shines with this brilliantly nuanced and subtle performance.
The story is touching, the detail is impeccable, the score is truly affecting, and the cinematography is seamless. There really isnt alot to complain about it, except the marketing flaws and maybe the slow pace this movie has, which bothered a lot of people, but not me, i thought it was perfect for a movie about an old man, just like i think the slow-pace in a movie like ''The Straight Story'' where the pace of the movie is truly as fast as Mr. Straight's lawn mower. Which was perfect.

All in all ''About Schmidt'' is a beautiful character study with yet another great performance by late and great Jack Nicholson
½ February 20, 2016
"About Schmidt" is a piquant character study on an embittered, selfish, and [often] apathetic retiree, named Warren Schmidt, who -- following his retirement party and the sudden death of his wife, Helen (for whom he had grown indifferent) -- reflects solicitously on a life he has deemed painfully unsatisfying for being wholly unremarkable. Struggling with social isolation, the process of aging, feelings of loneliness, and unrelentingly complacency about a seemingly bleak future, Schmidt eventually embarks on a journey for self-discovery that is both captivating and profound. With Jack Nicholson in the titular role, "About Schmidt" is a sturdy, bitter-sweet, tongue-in-cheek comedy with a fair amount of bite. An aspect I found particularly clever was the humorously intuitive score set to reflect Schmidt's emotional temperament.

[B] -- 73%
½ February 12, 2016
According to Rotten Tomatoes, Alexander Payne, the director of About Schmidt, doesn't have a movie that he has directed with a score below 80%. That is impressive for a man who makes Comedy-Dramas, some of which are very original and unique. I personally think that About Schmidt is a great film. Jack Nicholson delivers each line of a perfect script with such honesty that you don't know whether to laugh or cry. he is perfection in this movie and it is one of his most underrated performances. All of the supporting cast is great as well including Kathy Bates. the film was advertised as more of a comedy but is really a very emotional and at times uncomfortable drama. but don't get me wrong, there are quite a few side splitting scenes in this one. Alexander Payne is a great director and a very underrated one in my opinion. he should get way more praise than he does. overall I feel this is a somewhat overlooked movie and should be checked out. I adored it and can say the end had me tearing up.

9.1/10
½ January 10, 2016
Astounding performance from Nicholson is reason enough to see this touching film.
December 13, 2015
About Schmidt is slow and not as strange as I expected, but Jack Nicholson is great in the lead role and there are many moments that are genuinely funny and relatable.
November 1, 2015
It's a perfect script in my opinion. And it's only taken to more levels with the way Alexander Payne is able to let simplicity hold the emotions of a film. "About Schmidt" is a film featuring one of Hollywood's biggest actors of all time taken to the lowest scale of production and smallest story on the screen only to connect with humans at the most personal and relatable level.
October 22, 2015
Great Nicholson's performance. The film is melodramatic and at times poignant. Everyone gets to the point when he begins to think and rethink about his life.
October 16, 2015
Wonderful movie. Saw it last night for second time. Jack Nicholson is perfect in this great character study.
September 23, 2015
Jack Nicholson portrays a caricature of a stiff, uninteresting insurance salesman with no life and no personality. He retires, his wife dies, and I kept waiting for something interesting to happen. But it never does. About halfway thru I turned it off in boredom. Now I'm a huge Jack Nicholson fan, the guy is always watchable and brilliant. But this wasn't funny or interesting, and at most it made you feel sad for a guy with no life who never does anything interesting and is just unhappy. I guess the point of the movie is that old white guys who live their lives like they thought were supposed to are unhappy or something. Ok, got it. Very disappointing movie.
August 17, 2015
Looks really funny and I love Jack Nicholson, so looks awesome.
½ August 16, 2015
'Life is nothing more than a failure''
½ June 26, 2015
This is a great movie about old age, Nebraska, retirement, longing, disappointment and the meaning of life. I loved how Payne tied the retired insurance executive Warren Schmidt's fate in with the pioneers and the whole history of Nebraska there at the end. The movie was fantastic up to then but that scene (in Kearney, Nebraska) just put it over the top in a very satisfying way.
May 7, 2015
The world needs more Jack Nicholson
April 23, 2015
Nicholson gives one of the best performances of his career as a old retired man looking back on his life and his legacy. Through a clever means of narrating letters to an African child through a charity program we get an honest look at a mans life. The story is at times funny, dramatic, and in general true to life making it a recommended picture for those who don't mind a slower paced character study
April 7, 2015
Love Jack Nicholson in this, he's brilliant. The film, while at times sad and touching, has a number of genuinely funny moments.