A.I. Artificial Intelligence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A.I. Artificial Intelligence Reviews

April 22, 2017
A Steven Spielberg masterpiece!
April 17, 2017
Admitting its' main source of inspiration, A.I. is a heart touching story that satirizes emotional human connection to biology through science fiction.
April 9, 2017
Feels like a dream I've had before.
½ April 8, 2017
Too campy in parts, but what I couldn't get over is the fact that the story took a back seat to a dreamscape popcorn voyage. This highly intellectual treatment by Kubrick was deduced to mush. Motifs were shoved in your face and the dystopian future was charicatured in too many scenes.
½ February 16, 2017
It wasn't as captivating as I thought
February 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 27, 2017
Sentimental claptrap. From Dr Strangelove to this? Oh, dear.
½ January 18, 2017
A.I. Artificial Intelligence is intriguing and unique. It has a variety of flaws too, but ultimately, A.I. is a good, solid movie.
½ January 17, 2017
A movie that shows that the love always survives thought the time.
January 14, 2017
It was really imaginative and everything, but I felt the need to see a different story from the one I finally saw. Spielberg did an amazing job, but his script was quite weak at points, and though it raised serious issues it never made them justice. At the end it was a modern fairytale and nothing more. Young Haley Joel Osment was spectacular in his role! I'm disappointed cause I feel this could have been so much more than it finally is.
½ January 14, 2017
An underrated movie, much maligned for it's weird ending. It doesn't bother me too much and it shouldn't overshadow the incredible visuals and thoughtful deep story.
December 6, 2016
This film is very ambitious, and I admire Steven Spielberg for paying homage to his friend, the late Stanley Kubrick. Also, Haley Joel Osment is good in this role as David the robot boy, but unfortunately, not only does he look creepy, with him constantly keeping his eyes open, but his attempt at drama and peril just makes him look obnoxious! It kinda felt like a wasted opportunity on his part.
½ December 2, 2016
A much more interesting and dark Spielberg creation where you can really see Spielberg's signature touch but also the rich, bizarre (and sad) feel of Kubrick. If you ask me, I would take this over E.T. any day!
½ November 18, 2016
Steven Spielberg directs Stanley Kubrick's project and vision with the film, Artificial Intelligence. Kubrick collaborated with Spielberg the film up until his passing, and entrusted the direction of the film to his friend Spielberg. The film opens up with a professor (William Hurt) proposing the idea of creating a new robot child that has the ability to love. The immediate question is proposed, that will the human in return love the robot child? In spite of this conundrum, a robot child David (Haley Joel Osment) is created and presented to a family that recently had a tragedy with their own son.

The mother of the family Monica (Frances O' Connor) at first struggles with this idea, and finds him to be creepy. She eventually comes around and gives David the code words that will actual make him desire love from her. When their real son makes a miraculous recovery, things take a turn as the real son Martin jockeys for his parents love and teases and tortures David. When David unintentionally puts Martin in danger, they decide it's for the best to abandon him in a forest. David searches for the blue fairy that will turn him into a real boy, as he once heard his mother read to Martin the story of Pinocchio. He is convinced finding her will turn him into a real boy, and his mother will then truly love him. In this process, he comes across a sex robot Gigolo Joe (Jude Law) and several other robots who are being destroyed and tortured to entertain humans. Together they survive and travel to the ends of the earth and the abandoned city of New York to find the blue fairy.

Artificial Intelligence is divided into 4 chapters. The first part of the film is a creepy and slow moving horror like film. The slow tension and the characteristics of David make the human not particularly care for David or his feelings. This turns around slightly when he is belittled by Martin, but at the same time you cannot feel that they must get rid of David to ensure Martin's safety and development. The second chapter of the film is emotional and the most provocative part of the film. As the people torture, destroy these innocent robotic creatures, there is a feeling of depression and empathy. When a kind robot reaches out to David and tries to care for him, and moments later is doused in acid and destroyed for entertainment, was quite gut wrenching. This section of the film makes you empathize for the robots answers the question originally posed in the film and contradicts the first chapter of the film. The third chapter of the film has a sense of adventure, and discovery. The imagery of the futuristic cities, and the post-apocalyptic ocean sunken cities were well designed. Had the film ended with this chapter, as David wishes endlessly to become a real boy, this would have been the best ending for the film in my opinion. The ultimate empathy and caring for this robot character would have been encapsulated in this moment.

Unfortunately, there is the fourth part of the film which really just takes the film to a level that completely undermines and contrasts the feeling of the first 3 chapters of the film. Artificial Intelligence is quite a film that takes on a lot of ambition and scope. The futuristic setting, and the physiological aspects of the film are tough to balance, but were done fairly well. Haley Joel Osment gave a very good performance for his age in what is a pretty dark and mature film. Each of the chapters of the film do not go on longer than they should. I never really connected with or cared for Jude Law's performance and felt a better performance would invoked more empathy and desire to keep the two characters going on their journey. The fourth chapter with the advanced machines, that looked way too much like aliens is really the low part of the film. Although some of Jude Law's character words try and foreshadow this event, it still feels out of place. Restoring David to force a happy ending seriously made the film much worse and keep A.I. from being what could have been a masterpiece, to a good film.

-11.19.2016
½ October 31, 2016
A beautiful film story with stunning visuals, Steven Spielberg's heart and knack for entertainment come through this speculative journey.
October 28, 2016
My favorite Spielberg movie. Not his best, but it is my favorite and here's why. The good parts of this movie are masterpiece material. The entire first act is just flawless sci-fi made special by Haley Joel Osment's pitch perfect performance. The second third.... falls apart. Hard. Ugly visuals, tonal suicide, and just bizarre choices all around. The final act, once again, masterpiece material. The last third plays like a very surreal fairy tail that really hits me at a deep, emotional level that I can't quite explain. So with all that in mind, this movie is a complete mess, but it's such an interesting mess, that I still count it as my favorite Spielberg movie.
October 22, 2016
It is a beautiful piece of work and such an ambitious and thought-provoking film. 145 minutes can be excruciatingly long for some viewers and Spielberg's sentimental approach to its story might put off some people, but I found the film endlessly fascinating and consistently mesmerizing. I really, really like "A.I. Artificial Intelligence". It is as visually stunning as it is quietly moving. Haley Joel Osment is terrific as David, a robot who is programmed to love, and John Williams's score is wondrous and very moving. I love its central theme of mother and child, and I love the way it takes a Pinocchio-like fairy tale and puts it into an adult content. This is a really good film and its heart is in the right place.
October 20, 2016
am vazut primele 30 minute. este interesanta ideea si filtrul cinematografic pare unul romantit. actiunea se misca incet, imi trebuie o seara cu popcorn pentru ca pare un film lung.
½ October 14, 2016
I did not enjoy the movie - it was slow, weird, and not at all what I expected. That being said, it did have great acting and thought-provoking moments.