Albert Nobbs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Albert Nobbs Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
August 23, 2017
Albert Nobbs is nothing less than a deeply saddening but intriguing film. Glenn Close once again proves her versatility and emotional graciousness that she attacks each character with. It's an obvious movie that requires little brain power but if it strikes a nerve with You, as it did with me, then you'll appreciate what was achieved.
½ February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 8, 2017
A sweet interesting film, very unusual and touching. I'm so glad I watched it.
½ July 30, 2016
Though its plot is too safe and conventional, "Albert Nobbs" still benefits from strong performances from Glenn Close and Mia Wasikowska.
July 17, 2016
A life without decency is unbearable.
March 9, 2016
Bit Of A Bizarre One. Very Engrossing Tho & The True-To-Life Drama Is Unbelievable In Parts.
February 22, 2016
Fraquíssimo de ritmo e com um roteiro cheio de exposições artificiais, o filme acaba se valendo pelo ótimo elenco.
½ February 8, 2016
Wouldn't have fooled me. Looks like a woman for sure. Enjoyed the story though Knobbs was a creepy person indeed
January 9, 2016
Effective period drama, as poor old Albert is hiding a shocking secret to enable to keep his job as butler.....
½ January 1, 2016
Beautifully understated performance by Close, poignant and affecting although Close's Dublin accent wobbles a little in places.
November 26, 2015
Albert Nobbs: "Life without decency is unbearable".

The story is about a woman who struggles to find independence in 19th century Ireland and poses as a man so she can work as a butler at a top hotel. When she meets a painter it gives "Albert" the chance she needs to escape the lie she has been living.

Albert Nobbs has been described as an Oscar bait movie that's only purpose of existing is to win prizes, and while I do agree it is a bit Oscar bait and the movie itself is quite forgettable, but I'll be lying if I say there wasn't anything good in it. Compare this to other Oscar bait movies we've had in the past, this one isn't that bad or pretentious.

Glenn Close was unrecognizable in this movie. I really bought into her playing a man and it's not just by the make-up that sold the effect off, but the tone of her voice, the movement and the overall performance created the effect perfectly. I'm so shocked that Glenn Close has never won an Oscar yet, as she's been non-stop impressing me in every she's done (including this one). Glenn Close was absolutely outstanding in this movie.

The make-up, the costumes and the rest of the cast were all great. These's not a single bad performance in this movie. The staging and the scenery was spot on.

Sadly I wish the whole movie was great, but keep in mind that I don't think Albert Nobbs is a bad movie but the movie falls into the cliche gender or sexuality problems that every Oscar bait movie dose. Now I have seen many movies that dose focus on the gender and sexuality issues and the movies themselves were great, because those movies never tried the 'Give me awards' kind of movie, they were good movies and I could easily watch them again as a film, but movies like Albert Nobbs are the type of films that I'll only watch once and never again.

Overall Albert Nobbs has fantastic performances from everyone, great make-up and scenery. Unfortunately the film itself isn't what I call "great", just forgettable and it sucks saying that since I know a lot of effort went into this movie.
½ November 19, 2015
Glenn Close delivers a very solid performance, but this weak drama doesn't seem to know exactly what it wants to say, with an irregular story that wanders without a clear direction, giving in to a lot of expository dialogue and ending in an anticlimactic conclusion.
August 3, 2015
Good movie! Love glen close.
½ August 2, 2015
The cast did an extraordinary job, especially Glenn Close, but Albert Nobbs could have improved on so many levels
July 10, 2015
The local art center showed this film recently. I was not familiar with it, but a big fan of Glenn Close and her multi talents. She wrote the script or was a co-writer. I watched the movie for the second time at home because I felt I was missing something during the first showing. I am so glad I watched it again. The story is heart-breaking, the acting is superb, and I felt as if I was taken back to Ireland in the bleak 1800s'. If a girl has no father, brother, or husband her only choices to survive were prostitution or becoming kitchen help with no chance to make a better life for herself. After Albert experienced physical trauma as a young teen, she makes a heroic choice to present herself as a man in order to survive and obtain gainful employment. As a very naive person, she did not understand the world and emotionally she closeted herself completely so her impersonation was not uncovered. The transformation of Miss Close into Mr. Nobbs is worthy of praise. I recommend those who really "get" the art of movies give this movie another try. I think it is great.
May 27, 2015
Well acted by Glenn Close and all in a somewhat somber tale.
½ February 16, 2015
Monday, September 22, 2014

(2012) Albert Nobbs
DRAMA

Relatively common theme these days centering on social injustice on transgender people. Based on the novel ""The Singular Life of Albert Nobbs" by George Moore, starring Glenn Close as the title character "Albert Nobbs" who looked like a transvestite but is really a lady wearing a very tight girdle so that she can perform butler duties. Although the time period takes place sometime during 19th century Ireland, the situation is similar to what is happening as of right now where jobs are scarce, and that there's a great divide between the upper and lower class. Albert, like other butlers and maids rely on their tips and has apparently been saving up for something, as Albert hides her money from one of the floor boards. Nothing ground breaking as it has already been done before on such movies as "Shakespeare In Love" and "Victor Victoria". I also didn't care too much for the pessimistic conclusion.

2 out of 4 stars
January 22, 2015
Glenn Close is wonderful, as she is in everything I've seen her in.
January 13, 2015
It's never a fully convincing make-up job to convince you that none of the characters would twig Albert is a women, but at the same time Glen Close does a really good job with the character and it's much more about the trials and tribulations of survival and the psychological effects of the situation that are coming to the fore.