Ali - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ali Reviews

April 3, 2017
Not bad. Certainly not as bad as critics are making it out to be. Made me think about Ali for awhile and wonder about him. Will Smith did a fine job. Not as impress with Voight as everyone else.
½ April 1, 2017
Far too long of a movie that tries to cover too much, so in a sense it's almost too short. It became a slog as Ali just wasn't very likeable. Jon Voight as Howard Cosell was amazing though.
March 13, 2017
The film didn't work for me. Slow paced and meandering, something the real Ali wasn't. Will Smith seems miscast and doesn't seem to capture Ali's unique style and charisma. The film suffers from a bad script and could easily be cut down by an hour. I hope someone does a new Ali story someday and avoids the mistakes in this one.
March 6, 2017
The fight scenes are some of the best ever filmed. Unfortunately, this one merely scratches the surface on one of the century's most interesting figures.
February 6, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 18, 2017
Ali isn't quite a masterwork or the best film in the Michael Mann canon, but it comes awfully close. The movie occasionally falls into over length and overindulgence for Mann, but its core is splendidly realized, focusing much more on the man rather than the fighter, and by extension finding the fighter in the man. It's beautifully assembled beyond a few moments of slowdown. Casting and performances are absolutely fantastic and the movie is a treasure even amongst the long and storied history of Boxing films.
½ January 8, 2017
While boasting a tremendous performance by Will Smith (his best in my book), "Ali" showcases only one decade of the many fascinating aspects of Muhammad Ali's life from his boxing career, his religious and political life, and decision to evade the draft. The problem is that Ali was a larger-than-life character and one of the most important and significant sports figures in history, so to try to sum up only ten years of his life in a nearly three hour biopic doesn't quite do "The Champ" enough justice.
½ December 24, 2016
A biopic of the great Muhammad Ali, I feel like this could have been so much better. It was still good, but there is so much potential in any movie that has to deal with one of the most iconic characters in world history. I wished to have seen more about his personal life besides his obsession with women. It focuses a lot on the fights themselves which was great, I just wanted more. It would have been nice to see the after effects after he retired from the disease he suffered from. Ali has since passed on so maybe there is something in the works. Its a solid watch, but I think there is better things coming in the future regarding this cultural icon.
October 24, 2016
Will Smith is so wonderful in this movie. No actor living or dead could exceed Will's charisma, charm and just plain likability. Some have matched it but can not top it. Muhammad Ali is one of those. They are connected as few actors and real life counterparts can be. All the performers here give their all, especially Jamie Foxx as Ali's heroine addicted brother. This movie is beautiful with a killer soundtrack. Mann at his best.
October 19, 2016
Ali was an ambitious film, to say the least, with Michael Mann being charged with creating a film on one of the most loved people of the past century. I think Mann did a terrific job though, he created a film that shows the complete Ali from all angles.

With no holes barred the film delves deep into Ali's background, his personal life, his religious beliefs and his fighting career creating something that truly represents this great figure. As well as showing him at his strongest, the film also uniquely shows Ali at his weakest, making it a more honest and true to life film than perhaps was originally expected from fans. It's not a film about boxing, it's a film about Muhammad Ali.

As a big fan of Muhammad Ali, I've watched a vast amount of documentaries and video's online over the years about his life and his boxing career. In my opinion Ali replicates the life of the Louisville Lip brilliantly. In particular, Will Smith is unbelievably brilliant in the title role. A career defining performance from him in what I believe to be his greatest role. John Voight and Jamie Foxx also gave good performances, supporting Will Smith well.

One of my favourite sporting biographical films about one of my favourite sporting heroes of all time. The film is moving, exciting and inspiring. A true testament to the late, great, Muhammad Ali.
½ September 7, 2016
This was a pretty good movie covering the early life of Cassius Clay/Mohammad Ali.
August 6, 2016
Will Smith was great. I would have given it 4.5 if they made the fights a little more exciting with some music or something. It was very long and it needed something like that to make the action parts a little more of a payoff.
½ July 29, 2016
"Ali" does not delve deep or incisive enough into the life of its title character like it should, but it benefits from Will Smith's impressive performance where he excels at his role naturally and charismatic.
July 26, 2016
Meh. Weird movie. Another one I would just prefer see a great documentary about. Also thought it was distracting to see todays current writers and reporters in roles as reporters from back then.
July 26, 2016
While overlong and not one of the best biopics out there, Ali nevertheless benefits from the sure-handed direction of Michael Mann, Will Smith's powerful performance and some entertaining boxing sequences.
July 9, 2016
muito bom! uma história que merece ser vista.
½ June 18, 2016
Will Smith's great in the lead, but the film takes a very distant view of the subject without either dramatizing or digging deep into questions of character or motivation. Hell, when we first meet him he's already converted to Islam and changed his name. We never really find out why he did that or what drove him as an athlete.
½ June 13, 2016
Acting: spectacular. Voight is unrecognizable, Smith is incredible. Story: as someone who didn't grow up during that era, doesn't know most fo the events taking place, and only has rudimentary knowledge of some of the major players... I was completely lost half the time. Who was Jamie Foxx? How much time passed in-between events? What are half of the things going on? It felt less like a movie and more like a Sparknotes. I must say I really did enjoy the opening ten minutes where we just have this silent Cassius Clay doing his thing and not opening his mouth until he's in the room being the Smacktalker Skywalker.