Ali - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ali Reviews

October 24, 2016
Will Smith is so wonderful in this movie. No actor living or dead could exceed Will's charisma, charm and just plain likability. Some have matched it but can not top it. Muhammad Ali is one of those. They are connected as few actors and real life counterparts can be. All the performers here give their all, especially Jamie Foxx as Ali's heroine addicted brother. This movie is beautiful with a killer soundtrack. Mann at his best.
October 19, 2016
Ali was an ambitious film, to say the least, with Michael Mann being charged with creating a film on one of the most loved people of the past century. I think Mann did a terrific job though, he created a film that shows the complete Ali from all angles.

With no holes barred the film delves deep into Ali's background, his personal life, his religious beliefs and his fighting career creating something that truly represents this great figure. As well as showing him at his strongest, the film also uniquely shows Ali at his weakest, making it a more honest and true to life film than perhaps was originally expected from fans. It's not a film about boxing, it's a film about Muhammad Ali.

As a big fan of Muhammad Ali, I've watched a vast amount of documentaries and video's online over the years about his life and his boxing career. In my opinion Ali replicates the life of the Louisville Lip brilliantly. In particular, Will Smith is unbelievably brilliant in the title role. A career defining performance from him in what I believe to be his greatest role. John Voight and Jamie Foxx also gave good performances, supporting Will Smith well.

One of my favourite sporting biographical films about one of my favourite sporting heroes of all time. The film is moving, exciting and inspiring. A true testament to the late, great, Muhammad Ali.
½ September 7, 2016
This was a pretty good movie covering the early life of Cassius Clay/Mohammad Ali.
August 6, 2016
Will Smith was great. I would have given it 4.5 if they made the fights a little more exciting with some music or something. It was very long and it needed something like that to make the action parts a little more of a payoff.
½ July 29, 2016
"Ali" does not delve deep or incisive enough into the life of its title character like it should, but it benefits from Will Smith's impressive performance where he excels at his role naturally and charismatic.
July 26, 2016
Meh. Weird movie. Another one I would just prefer see a great documentary about. Also thought it was distracting to see todays current writers and reporters in roles as reporters from back then.
July 26, 2016
While overlong and not one of the best biopics out there, Ali nevertheless benefits from the sure-handed direction of Michael Mann, Will Smith's powerful performance and some entertaining boxing sequences.
July 9, 2016
muito bom! uma história que merece ser vista.
½ June 18, 2016
Will Smith's great in the lead, but the film takes a very distant view of the subject without either dramatizing or digging deep into questions of character or motivation. Hell, when we first meet him he's already converted to Islam and changed his name. We never really find out why he did that or what drove him as an athlete.
½ June 13, 2016
Acting: spectacular. Voight is unrecognizable, Smith is incredible. Story: as someone who didn't grow up during that era, doesn't know most fo the events taking place, and only has rudimentary knowledge of some of the major players... I was completely lost half the time. Who was Jamie Foxx? How much time passed in-between events? What are half of the things going on? It felt less like a movie and more like a Sparknotes. I must say I really did enjoy the opening ten minutes where we just have this silent Cassius Clay doing his thing and not opening his mouth until he's in the room being the Smacktalker Skywalker.
½ June 12, 2016
Muhammad Ali was larger than life. While Michael Mann's biopic "Ali" is not, it still remains an engaging and wildly ambitious portrait of the man's life away from the persona he created.
½ June 11, 2016
A little to slow to be a great movie, but the last part of the movie on the "Rumble In The Jungle" is the best part of the movie. Will Smith brings out what must have been an emotional experience for Ali being a hero for all of Africa. I wish the movie would have gone more in depth with this life with Malcolm X & how Cassius Clay becomes "The Greatest"...Muhammed Ali!!! A solid movie overall, and Will Smith is absolutely awesome as Ali.
June 5, 2016
Leave it to Michael Mann to craft such an audacious, offbeat, and occasionally frustrating portrayal of Muhammad Ali. I get why it has a reputation for mostly disappointing people but I like that the movie defies convention both in narrative and style. In regards to Smith, he's best when playing Ali's charismatic and transgressive public persona while he falls flat in scenes that require more nuance. With stronger central performance, this might have been a masterpiece.
June 5, 2016
Not (too) bad, but not really good either. Smith's performance is disappointing, but the script and Mann's "spreading" direction also need to be blamed. A forgetful film about an unforgettable historical figure, what a waste.
June 4, 2016
The last time I saw Ali was well over 10 years ago now, but in lieu of his passing seemed a fitting time to revisit. The film showcases both the strengths and weaknesses of the biopic format, in that it is impeccably cast, well shot, and effectively recreates iconic moments and characters, and yet at the same time too long, a bit unfocused and never quite captures the full essence of the title man himself. Granted, Ali was the most famous man alive during his heights, living a fascinating and complex life that intersected many avenues of society and life in general, so this is no easy task. In retrospect, Michael Mann does about as well as to be expected and remains most notable for getting the best performance of Will Smith's career, which sadly remains the actor's only time working with an Oscar caliber director in their prime.
June 4, 2016
i think this one is underrated, always have...the best acitng WIll Smith will ever do..and it fits flashy brilliant Michael Mann's directorial style..great music...well done over all better than most bio pics and of course approp for right now
½ March 11, 2016
75%
Saw this on 10/3/16
Will Smith slips in the role perfectly and Michael Mann combines many effective elements in the first half of the movie, however, in the second half, the film focuses too much on boxing and Ali's girlfriends that it loses its momentum. Almost all cast members are terrific with John Voight being amazingly unrecognizable.