Ali - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ali Reviews

½ December 5, 2017
i only watched this because i know very little about the life of muhammad ali, so i figured it might be interesting. while he and his life are interesting, the movie is not. it is uselessly long and ridiculously boring. so many long extensive scenes where nothing happens. the fights were nothing special. the acting was good. (1 viewing)
November 12, 2017
Attempting to encapsulate perhaps the busiest and most significant years in the life of transcendent Boxing legend Muhammed Ali, Michael Mann constructs a visually striking though not always emotional stirring portrait of the man and his exploits, both in and out of the ring. The film goes on for too long and many scenes could be cut or trimmed, such as a pointlessly extended segment of Ali jogging in Kinshasa. Will Smith is an excellent fit for the part, perfectly aping Ali's mannerisms both inside the ring and out, lashing out at his opponents in rhyming denigration before fights and dancing around the ring during them. The bouts are directed closely but mostly without being overwhelming, and the movements of the camera represent the disorientating nature of an intense boxing match. The lead performance is what sticks out the most, and is what the movie is best remembered for, and with good reason. It was never flat-out boring, but feels like it skips over some major events in favour of lingering on minor ones. Its financial failure is a shame, because there's a lot to admire, both in the aesthetics and the performances, but it didn't quite reach the legendary heights of its subject matter. But to be fair, what possibly could?
October 17, 2017
Some interesting elements to it. Ali's story is actually quite worthy (particularly when compared to, say, Johnny Cash, Walk the Line). Stuff happens. I liked it more on this second viewing. I don't know if there was more nostalgia over the lost sport of boxing. Maybe. There was some heavy-handed stuff with the direction. Extended montages over loud live music. Some other cases of trying too hard. The sex scenes were bad. There are always problems with trying to recreate boxing. I am talking myself down in my rating as we speak. Let's say 6.9
½ September 27, 2017
Even at 2 1/2 hours, Mann can't tell a full compelling story of Muhammad Ali. Many parts of his life feel glossed over or completely absent. Smith is very good as the leading man, but the film won't leave an imprint.
April 3, 2017
Not bad. Certainly not as bad as critics are making it out to be. Made me think about Ali for awhile and wonder about him. Will Smith did a fine job. Not as impress with Voight as everyone else.
½ April 1, 2017
Far too long of a movie that tries to cover too much, so in a sense it's almost too short. It became a slog as Ali just wasn't very likeable. Jon Voight as Howard Cosell was amazing though.
March 13, 2017
The film didn't work for me. Slow paced and meandering, something the real Ali wasn't. Will Smith seems miscast and doesn't seem to capture Ali's unique style and charisma. The film suffers from a bad script and could easily be cut down by an hour. I hope someone does a new Ali story someday and avoids the mistakes in this one.
March 6, 2017
The fight scenes are some of the best ever filmed. Unfortunately, this one merely scratches the surface on one of the century's most interesting figures.
February 6, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 8, 2017
While boasting a tremendous performance by Will Smith (his best in my book), "Ali" showcases only one decade of the many fascinating aspects of Muhammad Ali's life from his boxing career, his religious and political life, and decision to evade the draft. The problem is that Ali was a larger-than-life character and one of the most important and significant sports figures in history, so to try to sum up only ten years of his life in a nearly three hour biopic doesn't quite do "The Champ" enough justice.
½ December 24, 2016
A biopic of the great Muhammad Ali, I feel like this could have been so much better. It was still good, but there is so much potential in any movie that has to deal with one of the most iconic characters in world history. I wished to have seen more about his personal life besides his obsession with women. It focuses a lot on the fights themselves which was great, I just wanted more. It would have been nice to see the after effects after he retired from the disease he suffered from. Ali has since passed on so maybe there is something in the works. Its a solid watch, but I think there is better things coming in the future regarding this cultural icon.
October 24, 2016
Will Smith is so wonderful in this movie. No actor living or dead could exceed Will's charisma, charm and just plain likability. Some have matched it but can not top it. Muhammad Ali is one of those. They are connected as few actors and real life counterparts can be. All the performers here give their all, especially Jamie Foxx as Ali's heroine addicted brother. This movie is beautiful with a killer soundtrack. Mann at his best.
October 19, 2016
Ali was an ambitious film, to say the least, with Michael Mann being charged with creating a film on one of the most loved people of the past century. I think Mann did a terrific job though, he created a film that shows the complete Ali from all angles.

With no holes barred the film delves deep into Ali's background, his personal life, his religious beliefs and his fighting career creating something that truly represents this great figure. As well as showing him at his strongest, the film also uniquely shows Ali at his weakest, making it a more honest and true to life film than perhaps was originally expected from fans. It's not a film about boxing, it's a film about Muhammad Ali.

As a big fan of Muhammad Ali, I've watched a vast amount of documentaries and video's online over the years about his life and his boxing career. In my opinion Ali replicates the life of the Louisville Lip brilliantly. In particular, Will Smith is unbelievably brilliant in the title role. A career defining performance from him in what I believe to be his greatest role. John Voight and Jamie Foxx also gave good performances, supporting Will Smith well.

One of my favourite sporting biographical films about one of my favourite sporting heroes of all time. The film is moving, exciting and inspiring. A true testament to the late, great, Muhammad Ali.
½ September 7, 2016
This was a pretty good movie covering the early life of Cassius Clay/Mohammad Ali.
August 6, 2016
Will Smith was great. I would have given it 4.5 if they made the fights a little more exciting with some music or something. It was very long and it needed something like that to make the action parts a little more of a payoff.
½ July 29, 2016
"Ali" does not delve deep or incisive enough into the life of its title character like it should, but it benefits from Will Smith's impressive performance where he excels at his role naturally and charismatic.
July 26, 2016
Meh. Weird movie. Another one I would just prefer see a great documentary about. Also thought it was distracting to see todays current writers and reporters in roles as reporters from back then.
July 26, 2016
While overlong and not one of the best biopics out there, Ali nevertheless benefits from the sure-handed direction of Michael Mann, Will Smith's powerful performance and some entertaining boxing sequences.
July 9, 2016
muito bom! uma história que merece ser vista.