Alien3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien3 Reviews

½ March 15, 2018
This movie was just one giant disappointment. While the longer Director's Cut certainly added a few things to the movie, the major problems were all still there as well. This is one entry of the series that is better left being forgotten about.
February 25, 2018
Underrated. Aliens is probably one of the greatest films of all time so was a tough act to follow
½ January 18, 2018
I don't believe this film gets as much credit as it deserves. With a surprising amount of riveting character moments, dialogue and a bold new direction to the story, I do believe it is much better than most claim it to be. It sports many plotholes and moments that simply make you think "wait, what?" as well as some extremely poorly rendered CGI that immediately ruins the immersion of the tension the film generates. However, as with all the Alien films, the practical puppetry of the Alien itself is extremely impressive.

January 16, 2018
This film is one of the worst sequels ever made and the worst of the Alien franchise. People may think that AVP-R or Alien Resurrection are the worst of the franchise, but in my opinion, none of those film compare to this drivel. The script, the tone, the characters, and the story are what dethrones the fun and suspense of Alien and Aliens. If you have a chance to see this movie, then don't. This is not a movie. This is a torture machine.
January 11, 2018
The downfall of a grand series. Different from it's predecessors, it doesn't have the tension and thriller that an Alien movie should, instead, it tries to convey a lame story with new characters that no one really cares for, with unecessary action scenes to trie to catch the odd eye. A pitty this masterfull serie go downhill.
½ January 6, 2018
NOTE: The following review predominantly applies towards the Assembly Cut although the theatrical version may still be brought up:
Alien 3 is not as good as the first two Aliens. It's not even good by the standards of the Alien franchise. Though by regular movie standards, it's more than OK. After pissing off everyone by murdering Hicks and Newt offscreen(and shaving Sigourney's head due to a head lice problem on the planet) before the credits with Bishop only having one scene due to being damaged beyond repair, we see Ripley now being stranded on a prison planet. Turns out a stowaway joined them at the end of Aliens. And now a new xenomorph has entered the picture, birthed by a dog in the theatrical version and instead coming out of a dead ox in the Assembly Cut. Personally, I find it more plausible that the xenomorph came out of an ox rather than a dog as while the dog allows for a more emotionally devastating scene, the ox explains why the xenomorph has already been born that big. It does have its tense moments and I found myself hoping that everyone makes it out okay. It also is visually stunning. And it all comes down to a tearjerking ending that is sadder in the theatrical version than the Assembly Cut. They're both quite dramatic, really. So, yeah. Alien 3 (Alien cubed?) is not as good as the first two movies in the Alien franchise and it gave off a bad first impression for David Fincher due to executive meddling that nearly discouraged him from directing the mystery classic Se7en but Sigourney Weaver's performance, the special effects, a terrifying logo variation and a dramatic ending(plus better execution in the Assembly Cut) make Alien 3 entertaining in its own right.
½ December 31, 2017
Never gets going. Trying to get back to the claustrophobic vibe of the original was commendable but the film is slow and lacks the ratchet turning tension of the original or the visceral thrills of the second.
½ December 28, 2017
A lazily set-up monstrosity of a movie. Sigourney Weaver is as always the best part of everything she's in, but everything else about this film feels weak and disjointed (especially compared to the first two masterpieces). The convincing atmosphere of the Alien Universe's gritty, rusty, slimy, bio-mechanical reality is really fascinating, and HR Giger's style can definitely be felt in this film, but the terrible CGI really takes away from the experience in a major way. Overall a serious disappointment heavy with pretentious religious philosophy and weighed down with by a bleak, poorly executed plot.
December 23, 2017

[David Fincher]
½ December 14, 2017
The 2003 special edition is the superior cut of Alien 3. It's captures the horror from the Alien and the action of Aliens. It David Fincher has a clear vision of what Alien should be and unfortunately like many other works of art outside studio forces sacrifice depth and cohesion for audience friendly popcorn fluff as seen in the theatrical cut. Fortunately audiences didn't support the theatrical cut, so the studio gave in and eventually released the Fincher cut with the special edition. Alien 3 is a much better character study piece then it's predecessors. Adding religious symbolism and nuance storytelling to the Alien mythology.
½ November 17, 2017
Even though it had some good visual effects in the film but I didn't feel the terror in this film not like I did with Ridley Scott's masterpiece of a film but the alien in ALIEN 3 is still best thing in the film but overall my less favourite one in the franchise. David fincher is a good director with the girl with the dragon tattoo and gone girl but this sci-fi thriller not so much.
½ November 8, 2017
ALIEN 3, the third installment in the ALIEN franchise is more like the first film than the second; its more of a horror film with more chasing in it instead of just shooting and burning them up in a war-like manner. This film, my opinion does not have a particularly good setting- most of it is grim, ugly and on occasion rather dumb. But it's not as grim, ugly and dumb as most people make it out to be- maybe the theatrical version is. Sigourney Weaver and the mostly male British cast does an excellent- if not over-the-top job in some instances; the ensemble cast really does heighten the emotional turmoil everyone goes through here.

But this film is one of those "what should have been" movies that was torn apart by studio paranoia and their distrust of a very talented man- this man being David Fincher, who directed this movie. The theatrical version of this movie is a decent film and it more or less works on its own.

But then, 11 years later a brand new version of ALIEN 3 was released as part of what is probably the best-produced DVD set of all time (next to the extended versions of the 3 LORD OF THE RINGS films) called the special edition. This film featured more than 45 minutes of new and alternate footage, making it almost exactly 30 minutes longer than the theatrical film. Most extended versions of films add deleted footage that adds some interesting threads to the film and creates some interesting insights but for the most part the addition of new footage is often ineffectual and changes the movie a little bit. ALIEN 3, however is a different case all together.

This new version of ALIEN 3 is quite a different film altogether- this is apparently the film that Fincher wanted to make. There are whole new character threads, plot threads, expositions and elements that are introduced here. Even the birth of the Alien is different. This version, even with its often useless production sound is more interesting and feels far more complete than the original version.

Theatrical version: 5.5/10
Special edition: 7.5/10
November 4, 2017
After the success of Ridley Scott's "Alien" & James Cameron's "Aliens", I became aware of the mixed reaction of "Alien 3" (directed by later renowned director David Fincher). After viewing the film, I can easily say that "Alien 3" ranged from being so-so to not very good - the special effects & music were pretty decent, but the acting ruined any form of character development, which made the story miserable & dull (especially after the (SPOILER!) deaths of Newt & Hicks & destruction of Bishop from "Aliens").
Overall, I thought "Alien 3" was okay but very inferior compared to the others, thus making it - to me - the least favorite out the original series. (I know there is an "Assembly Cut" of the film that many found much better than the original, but I only saw the original; so until then, my review still stands).
½ October 21, 2017
It's bold directional turn, whilst not too popular with fans is not without some merit. Yes, it's a much harder film to warm to than the previous two but at least it attempts to be different even if likeable characters are a little thin on the ground. The special effects are less special and the frequent use of Alien POV shots makes it feel cheap. The story itself holds together well enough, it's just not the story that most people wanted or expected.
October 18, 2017
Movie were hard for fill wrong Script, Character weren't Memorable. Special Effect were Mix response those Creature and Bluescreen. it so Depressing.
October 12, 2017
If you want a film that sums up all the forget ability about the Alien films, I would have to go to Alien 3. I've got the whole collection in Christmas 2015 and when I look them all, I really got a reaction which I wasn't expecting. All 4 films have different versions. The first was Alien the Directors Cut, second is Aliens Special Edition which I think the Special Edition version is the highlight for the movie's effort. Why? Well, because Director James Cameron didn't prefer the original version on DVD, he prefer's it to the Special Edition version where you can see the missing scenes. The third is what I'm doing now which I'll tell you that in a minute and the fourth one did the same as the third. The film opens with Ripley getting impregnated by the face hugger and crash landed in a place where she had never been before. The dog is impregnated and the alien had come out of it's stomach and all hell is loose. Yeah, the list goes on. Now let me try and tell you about something of what I haven't seen before is there are missing scenes that wasn't in the original. There's a scene where Charles Dance had find Ripley's body where she crash landed. In the original version though, there are three or four men found Ripley's body along with Newt, Hicks and Bishop. The alien is inside the cow's body or you can call it a ox. Because of this, when you watch the assembly cut version, you will watch the ox get impregnated instead of the dog. And yes, the list goes on! I found the movie a mix bag and yeah, Sigourney Weaver is good but it doesn't save the glory of this science fiction horror with a mess story writing and I don't find the film to depressing. Try watching the assembly cut version, I f£$king dare you!
October 10, 2017
Yes...I'm a fan of this movie. Sue me! It's bleak, entertaining, well made and visually interesting. Tonally, at least, I actually prefer this to Aliens.
½ September 28, 2017
not as good as the first 2 but it was ok
August 27, 2017
This movie is an under rated gem! It is the best of the original trilogy. The story is more than skin deep. The characters feel real. Fincher is a master at creating atmosphere, and this movie sets a tone which I favor greatly compared to Cameron's 'Aliens'. I find that people that don't like this movie don't really like horror, and would prefer an action/adventure movie instead,,, to me the Alien franchise is best served cold with lot's of blood and dark corners for the imagination to do it's work.