Alien Resurrection - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Resurrection Reviews

May 22, 2017
Even though I still love the Alien sets, I have to admit that this was somewhat of a flop for myself, however, being a die-hard SciFi fan, I still had to accept this movie was going to be part of my life.

It's still a must see for any Alien Film follower and parts of it are acceptable!
½ May 22, 2017
I like this film because it's a very fun sci-fi film it's stupid but it's actually a stupidly fun sci-if film. ALIEN and ALIENS are the best and this one it's not the best but I like it and it's good. A stupidly film sci-fi flick so much better then ALIEN 3 I can tell you that.
½ May 21, 2017
Everybody in this movie acts so hamfisted and cartoony.
May 21, 2017
Jeunet does his best to salvage the Alien franchise after the travesty that was 'Alien3'. There are moments of greatness in this film (especially with any interaction between Ripley 8 and Call), but ultimately it can't dig itself out of the pit the franchise was in at this point. There are many beautifully shot scenes with one of the highlights being the underwater chase. This is the best action scene of the movie. After that sequence the story gets bogged down with hybrid aliens and awkward exposition from a cocooned Brad Dourif. Ultimately 'Alien: Resurrection' is a stylishly shot thriller, with two badass female protagonists, that unfortunately doesn't come together to form a compelling story.
½ May 20, 2017
It can't touch the first two films, and it's not quite as good as Alien 3, but Alien Resurrection isn't as bad as its reputation would suggest. The visuals are definitely better than Alien 3's, and Sigourney Weaver gives another strong performance. However, the pacing is uneven, and the scene where the Xenomorph Queen gives live birth, while original, is honestly just stupid. Overall, Resurrection is an entertaining film, just try not to think about it very much.
½ May 20, 2017
Improvement from 3, but still lame
May 19, 2017
Alien 3 is a mess, but it's nothing compared to the abomination that is Alien: Resurrection. One wouldn't be wrong by saying that there isn't one good thing to say about this film. Sure, everything isn't horrible, but just about 95 percent of it is. Last time I checked, that's not a good percentage.

Resurrection is a shell of the films that made this series great in the first place. To start, the film's tone is all over the place. It feels like the script wants the film to take a lighter direction but the direction does exactly the opposite. You have characters that don't feel like real human beings and always seem to overact to the conflict, why the conflict itself is overtly gory and grotesque, just for the sake of being gory and grotesque. I'm still not sure what audience this film was trying to appeal to. It's neither a scary thriller like the first film nor an exciting action film like Aliens. But that's not for lack of trying.

Who thought it would be a good idea to have Ripley come back as an uncomfortably sexualized version of herself without any explanation as to why she was cloned in the first place? After the semi-heroic act at the end of Alien 3, there's absolutely no need to go back and recycle the same characters. And really, what was the point of bringing back Ripley if she wasn't even going to have the qualities we love about Weaver's portrayal. This does way more to hurt Ripley's legacy than it does to amplify it.

Written by Joss Whedon and directed by the guy who made Amelie makes this film more puzzling than its predecessor. We know there were severe behind the scenes issues with Fincher's Alien 3, but who could have possibly greenlit Resurrection? There's nothing redeemable about this film. And I mean nothing. Great actors and actresses like Ron Perlman and Winona Ryder give less than stellar performances (and that's generous). Even Weaver, who has always been the light of this franchise was just passible as Ripley. Heck, the Xenomorphs themselves were pathetic. The special effects looked off, they were kept up in cages for most of the film, and the hybrid alien at the end? My god it was all-time awful.

-Tone is all over the place

-Script and direction take the film to separate places

-Performances

2.9/10
May 17, 2017
It has its moments but it doesn't have the aesthetics or atmosphere of an Alien flick. The finale is dog shit and the less said about that new born the fucking better. Pointless.
May 17, 2017
If it was not related whatsoever to the Alien franchise, this might just be a goofy, over-the-top action film, but unfortunately it dumbs down the Alien universe beyond belief. Knowing all the behind the scenes troubles between writer and director, its understandable why it is a mess. But a mess is a mess. The decisions made in this film from start to finish are almost incomprehensible. The performances are bad, the writing is bad, this film is awful. Not worth your time if you are a fan of the previous films.
May 15, 2017
Not the best, but still worth checking out.
½ May 14, 2017
Now this is an odd alien movie. Even Ripley here is a rather odd character, doesn't feel like herself (understandably). It almost feels like one of those late seasons of some shows that went so far from the first season style and just jumped the shark.

The fun fact is that the screenplay is authored by Joss Whedon (although he's very sad of what they did to his work). There is something from Joss still there, and it kind of could even work if he was directing it himself, but it seems that artistic differences were too big with the director onthis one. And it just turned out to be a one hell of a weird alien movie.

Least favorite in the series easily.
jamrcla
May 14, 2017
My least favourite Alien film from the original 4, Never should of been made, Yes Alien 3 didn't match up to the first two but it ended well but some people just can't let things die in peace, The story was silly and never got any better, Poor acting and with little action it has nothing much going for it, The effects were ok for its time and I did like the more advanced, Smarter Aliens even if that hybrid at the end was just step too far for me, but it's not enough to stop this film from being very disappointing, Let's just thank god they stopped to give the series some breathing space (For a while)
½ May 13, 2017
This movie could not salvage what was left of a consistently weakening franchise. Thus far it has remained the nail in the coffin, with Prometheus acting as the closest thing to a mild redemption by developing a story about evolution theory, deviating from xenomorphs.

Leave it to the Alien franchise to eject the most contrived plots from their slimy story eggs, more lethal than face-huggers, latching onto to the audience playing host to their box-office victories. People pay for the familiar. But the Alien franchise quickly becomes painfully too familiar. None of the films can successfully recapture the suspense and terror of Ridley Scott's original experience, which is a near perfect film.

Does Ripley belong here? Absolutely not. But then we'd be stuck with these other stale, mercenary-like, weapon-wielding characters, and that's unwatchable.

Jeunet goes on to follow this film with the very good Amelie, so we know he's not a bad filmmaker. Therefore we have to question: what is he thinking here? Is this the result of a conflict between his vision and the studio? Possibly, such has been the detriment of many filmmakers, which is possibly why he took four years to get to his next work, a far more independent work less interfered by studio execs. Whatever the case, his resulting film is campy, messy, convoluted, and noisy.

The only thing different we get is in Act 3, when the designers finally deviate from Geiger's steampunk xenomorph, and create something that seems to have a human being inside screaming for help. Before it was easy to blast a xenomorph in the head senselessly and not have a care in the world, but this thing has human eyes. There's a terrific moment when a strobe light reflects off it's white skin, and the downtrodden eyes are drawn out. We feel bad for this thing, we sense it's suffering - there's empathy and sorrow, something the series had severely lacked. Ripley perfectly mirrors how the audience feels when she is forced to kill it (in the most cruel possible way); she sees a giant baby being swallowed by the cold of space, and she feels bad for it. It's a tender moment rare in the franchise.
May 13, 2017
This movie sucks, this movie is quite honestly a giant spit in the face to the first two movies and somehow manages to make Alien 3 look like the original. The acting is okay, but the characters are flat and boring, the effects are good for the Aliens except the final one which looks like crap and is the worst design I've seen for any practical effect creature ever. While Sigourney Weaver is a great actress, and is great as Ripley in the first two and is even great in Alien 3, here the character is so far off from Ripley in the first 3 movies that it's pointless to even follow or act like this is somehow a continuation of her story. This is a mess that I just plain hated with a passion.
½ May 9, 2017
As a closure it fails, even when providing an atmospheric comeback to it's roots, but its potential ideas are overshadowed by a lack of coherence and purpose, substitued by goofiness, bizarrely unappealing elements, and over-the-top moments.
½ April 27, 2017
Not as good as the first two but certainly better than part three Resurrection restores the potential of the science fiction horror classic by improved special effects and likeable characters.
½ April 25, 2017
What is happening? This, once great, franchise has just slipped into obscurity. This is the worst Alien film to date. When the writers sat down to write this script they just through some stuff against the wall and nothing at all stuck. The story is all over the place and the characters are all A-holes. Half alien Half Ripley is just not fun and a poor execution of a character. I just did not have fun while watching this film.
½ April 20, 2017
The Batman and Robin of the Alien franchise.
April 18, 2017
This movie is great spinoff for ALIEN movies and the best comic adaptation putting on screen based on Alien Labyrinth comics. Have great space pirates as antiheros. Every body loves The Gourdians of galaxy I prefer those guys and aliens in it.