American Gangster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Gangster Reviews

½ July 10, 2017
Close to perfect. Once again, hats off to Ridley!
½ June 24, 2017
Ridley Scott does a very good job on the biopic about Frank Lucas, played brilliantly by Denzel Washington. Russel Crowe plays Richie Roberts the detective that brings Lucas in. Crowe does a fantastic job as usual. I would warn people before they go in that this is not an action film. It is a drama about the rise and fall of Frank Lucas. It is a longer film that can sometimes drag but not enough to really bother you. If you like Denzel Washington, Russel Crowe, Ridley Scott, or Gangster movies this film is for you.
June 14, 2017
A brilliantly constructed piece of drama.
June 1, 2017
one of ridleys russells and denzels best films
May 21, 2017
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time And 1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time As Well.
½ May 12, 2017
Excellent. Classic Ridley Scott film, with trademark excellence in direction, casting, acting, general aesthetic (wardrobe always top-notch), and photography. The dual protagonists are very interesting characters, and a story that shows the light and the dark in equal measures, both sides of the story, is always welcome.
½ April 6, 2017
Pretty solid characters and pretty good acting, a quite enjoyable gangster film with violence and a good pace and perfect runtime. It's no Goodfellas but I was still caught up in the story.
March 20, 2017
Opening 30/40 minutes are messy, directionless and sprawling. It gets better with some good performances carrying the tension and drama, yet it lacks Ridley Scott's visual flair opting for a 'documentary' fly-on-wall approach which is rather hit & miss at times. When compared with Scott's past work this doesn't stand-out as a classic. However it is bearable once it finds it's feet & it's direction
March 13, 2017
It was all right. Nothing special. Will forgot I saw it in a couple of weeks.
½ March 11, 2017
Tense and powerful story. Crime never pays.
½ March 4, 2017
You know how it says that this movie is based on a true story? Well, that's because it's based on my life... I can't tell you how many buck naked black females I had handling my heroin back in the day.
March 1, 2017
A gritty, darker take of Catch Me If You Can and the American Dream.
½ February 14, 2017
We can not back and change our choice on the highway.
A lot of people are strugling.
½ February 9, 2017
Great plot-a lot like catch me if you can
January 23, 2017
could not get into it, found it really boring. Have up after half an hour
January 22, 2017
A lot of potential, hopefully we'll be seeing the best bits of The Departed, Gladiator, Man on Fire and Boyz N The Hood... it can't fail with this line up!
½ January 20, 2017
Very Average LONG "Gangster Movie" nothing that special with this movie. Decent performances, but nothing that you haven't seen before.
½ January 8, 2017
Very entertaining though the real life people state very little of it is actually true.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 17, 2016
12/15/2016: A good crime drama with an excellent cast. There isn't much action and it's pretty long, but still a good movie. Too long to watch again though.