American Graffiti - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Graffiti Reviews

½ April 25, 2017
American Graffiti was a film made just before my time, but watching the film brings back memories about the transition from high school to college. The script is simple but the acting and production are so effective , you may feel like a teenager again ! 3.5 stars
½ April 24, 2017
American Graffiti follows an assortment of recent high school grads as they go through one last hurrah on the last day of summer in 1962. As one would expect from the premise, the story is a coming-of-age yarn that finds its cast of various young people struggling with the life-changing decisions they're about to make at a critical moment in their lives. American Graffiti is billed as a comedy and it does have funny moments, but this movie is also as sad, confused, awkward, dramatic, painful, silly, nostalgic, and cynical as an actual adolescent can be. These qualities can be attributed to an honest script, judicious direction by George Lucas, a well-chosen roster of actors, and a soundtrack that provides a nonstop fusillade of period chart hits overseen by legendary DJ Wolfman Jack.
April 7, 2017
A funny, and bittersweet look at the lives of a group of 1960's high school graduates. With with a timeless message, and entertaining characters.
½ March 25, 2017
9.5 out of 10:

Nostalgic, funny, and relatable, American Graffiti provides a smart look at teens in the 60s.
½ March 7, 2017
A night to remember.
March 2, 2017
Great movie by all means. Fun, deep, sweet, warm. A beautiful work of art.
February 23, 2017
Great character driven movie that will make you nostalgic for 1950s
January 19, 2017
I find it hard to imagine a better movie than this.
It works on every level, it is simply perfect! How could it have been any better? Storyline,soundtrack,characters ..everything about it is just..perfect.
½ January 15, 2017
Thankfully there is no where near as much empty headed nostalgia as I had suspected. That George Lucas could craft something of such deep emotional complexity will never cease to amaze me.
January 13, 2017
A movie I saw 3 times the 1st week it came out in the 70's. I still love this movie as one of my favorites. Even though it was set in 1962, it could be any time and any place as far as relationships go.One of the best movies ever as far as developing multiple characters.
Harrison Ford, Richard Dreyfus and Ron Howard lead an all star cast. Also the music definitely deserves mentioning.
January 8, 2017
Loaded with stars, that seems to be its more than anything else, and honestly that is what it deserves. Filled with good performances, but nothing too stand out, it still remains a 'classic' and probably will be forever. I can see why it has appeal, however, I think for me it's going to have to fall into the category of something everyone else seems to love, but I believe is just okay.
½ January 2, 2017
Proto-Superbad / Dazed and Confused, it's pretty astonishing the kind of influence you can trace directly from George Lucas' original blockbuster. Surprisingly (considering he wrote the script) the dialogue feels pretty believable, and the soundtrack (can't believe they were able to license music so cheap) really props up each scene. Doesn't hold up SUPER well in terms of entertainment value, but still a good movie and a recommended watch for film buffs.
January 1, 2017
this is a really good movie about romance adolescence and cruising and I love cruising
½ December 28, 2016
Nostalgic teen movie "made in the USA" by Mr. George Lucas. Yes, he did more movies than Star Wars.
½ December 8, 2016
George Lucas masterfully crafts an iconic and nostalgic coming-of-age high school movie that influenced the genre on the 80's and remains fresh until today.
November 11, 2016
George Lucas is happily in his element discussing, remembering, life in small town United States before the assassination of John F. Kennedy and the arrival of the Beatles. While there's old cars and plenty of early rock and roll radio, malt shops and cruising the strip, it's in the electricity of the sock hops that Lucas really feels his groove. Nice stuff, even if the thrust of the thing is chiefly about how being white and well thought of is no guarantee of happiness. Of the four main characters, clichès all (one squeaky clean class president, one James Dean-like gearhead, one "smart guy", and one spazz nerdtype), only one "gets lucky" and he gets an asswhupping. Luckily the music saves the thing.
November 4, 2016
Iconic movie from 1973 I remember when I saw it in the theater the first time. I have seen this probably better than a dozen times and it has always been enjoyable if you are into cars this is a must see movie.
October 7, 2016
Sparkling with nervous teenage energy and that feeling that you are getting away with something great.

This film is light sweet fantasy and dreamy small-talk magic that has quietly become culturally iconic. It's a tiny glimpse of some good in being young in 50s America.

Chock full with vibrancy, awkward hilarity, high school angst, all within a day and night of small town cruising, except with all the little nuances that let the audience share in each moment.

No matter your age, you get to laugh, and you get to sense nostalgia. And especially the power of little, memorable moments.

No wonder it kicked off all the wildly successful tv series: Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, and gave us the indelible Fonz!
Aaayyyeeeee...

And the list of players here is clearly a who's who of Hollywood successes. Especially the smaller roles w Harrison Ford and Susanna Somers in the smallest of bits.

A quiet, low budget, all-American triumph.

5 out of 5 horn-rimmed glasses
½ September 2, 2016
A taste of Americana. George Lucas captured the spirit of the 60's generation in this classic. The movie spawned the popular show Happy Days.
½ August 17, 2016
Teens cruise and live life before many leave for college and even Vietnam. Classic movie with a superior cast.