• PG, 1 hr. 53 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

American Graffiti Reviews

Anthony L

October 18, 2013
American Graffiti is rightfully regarded as one of the best odes to the 50's (ok, the 60's but you know where I'm coming from). I think the key to its success is that it doesn't set out to tell a story as such, instead it simply shows the way of life and how it was all in one night. Great characters, great script and great Cars. Seriously, people say that the music is the main attraction, and it is good but those Cars are something else. I wonder what Lucas would have gone on to do had Star Wars not have been so successful. This and THX 1138 are great films. I'm not saying the Star Wars film weren't great, heaven forbid, it's just that he has stuck with that and Indiana Jones and not come up with anything else. I wonder if a few great films will remain unmade because of this, I guess we'll never know.
Sam B

October 6, 2013
My favorite George Lucas film, "American Graffiti" nails youthful nostalgia almost perfectly, with believably charming, yet confused characters, an incredible, almost omnipresent soundtrack, and great car-based visuals which are trance-inducing as well as useful in placing audiences firmly within the strangely familiar world of teenagers in 1962.
KJ P

October 5, 2010
"American Graffiti" is the type of movie that I can see a lot of people disliking, but by the end of the movie, after all the characters go through their transformations, it is very interesting, funny, and heart warming to see how mature kids used to be, when they needed to be. They still have an insane amount of fun while knowing that life is coming, tomorrow. Their plan is to have one last great night on the town, picking up girls, having sex, and street racing. There have been many films made that are similar to this concept, but George Lucas directs this in ways that I never would have seen coming. The characters are loveable, the premise is relatable, an the era of the 1960's was captured with perfection. The retro feel of the entire movie had a smile on my face. Still, it feels a little too long and some of the dialogue is corny. Overall, "American Graffiti" is a classic teen dramedy that everyone can relate to. It's terrific entertainment!
Lucas M

March 19, 2012
An entertaining and sweet drama comedy with great cast and direction. American Graffiti flaw with a very sad ending to a very funny film. Fresh.
Alexander D

August 22, 2011
AMERICAN GRAFFITI, a teen coming of age drama set in 1962, is certainly not what we would expect from George Lucas, who wrote, produced, and directed sci-fi and action movies such as STAR WARS (to stare the obvious), RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, THX 1138, LABYRINTH, and HOWARD THE DUCK. On the other hand, it is surprisingly good and entertaining, with an ongoing soundtrack of hits from the late '50s and early '60s.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 4, 2011
American Graffiti is George Lucas' second film, and it doesn't deal with Sci Fi adventure like Star Wars and THX 1138. Lucas has made one of the most memorable teen comedies/drama films in cinematic history. What George Lucas has made with American Graffiti is a film that everyone can relate to. A superb cast deliver great performances there is definitely great chemistry between every actor here. American Graffiti is also a film that has some of the best trash talking in any other film. The film has a great blend of comedy and drama, and George Lucas has created something unique with this film. A very good, and memorable film, American Graffiti is a superb film. I thoroughly enjoyed, and I thought it was nice to see that George Lucas made this, because as we all know, he would later make the legendary Star Wars: A New Hope. I thought it was great to see Lucas do a more different film instead of just another Sci Fi film, he made a comedy with dramatic elements, and it works so well on screen. This film is one of most well crafted teen comedies out there, and it shows the way a bunch of teens how they get ready to leave a small town and tackle the real world, something we all had to go through. A must see for diehard film buffs, American Graffiti is as funny as it is dramatic, and I think thats why this film has stood the test of time, it's simply smartly crafted and well acted that it's still a fun film to watch today.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
I saw this movie a long time ago, and I always wondered why Lucas directed it. The cast is good, but the story isn't that great. I remember not liking this movie when I first saw it, but maybe I'll give it another try someday.
Dan S

October 15, 2010
A lesser form of "Dazed and Confused", if you will, with a young George Lucas showing off his skill outside of sci-fi. Although largely forgettable and undeniably formulaic, still a very enjoyable movie that is funny, has a nice atmosphere, and is very well paced. The Richard Dreyfuss character is the most memorable part of the film, as he pursues an attractive girl across California throughout the night. I still like "Dazed and Confused" much more than this film, but I definitely respect and enjoy it to a high degree.
movieguru12
movieguru12

May 7, 2008
I love it!!! Great characters in a great movie :)
Conner R

November 19, 2009
A great anthology of teenage life in the 60s. It has a lot of great early performances from now well known actors. The cinematic style is amazing and puts you into a suspension of disbelief. While I feel that the individual stories never closed properly, it wasn't bothersome to the overall plot.
cosmo313
cosmo313

April 26, 2009
This semi-autobiographial film depicting the antics of the final night of having fun for as group of friends before college is proof that George Lucas has talent as a director of non sci-fi films. He needs to make more films outside of that genre. As I've said before, I love films like this, and the fact that this film iwas essentially the first teen movie and the reason why Dazed and Confused exists. It's no secret that music is an essential part of films, and something I noticed,(and loved) was that there is music playing almost non-stop during the entire movie. Music is in every single scene, and I can't think of any other movies that ahve taken that approach. This movie might lose its impact for people who retroactively watch it (like me), but I think it still holds up regardless.
Jon L

March 7, 2009
This film is an interesting take on youth in the 60s. It really takes you back (even if you weren't there the first time around). I really liked to see this all-star cast, before they were ever made famous. This is a really fun movie.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

June 23, 2007
A classic.
Dean !

January 4, 2007
A very cool film set in the 50's with some cool car's of the time. A good coming of age drama.
Leigh R

August 23, 2007
It was an okay film.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

May 14, 2007
George Lucas made this? Talk about being in a galaxy far far away from anything even remotely resembling Star Wars. Well, part from the fact that a very young Harrison Ford does a minor role here, which is pretty cool in itself. He looked a bit out of place though without a wookie at his side or a brimmed felt hat on his head. But no wonder really, as this was years before he had his major breakthrough as an actor.

At any rate, this movie is truly the kind that defines the generation it portrays, which in this case would be the teen culture of the 1960's. For that reason alone it was very interesting to watch, even though I prefer the more raunchy and open-hearted type of teen comedies, like American Pie or Fast Times at Ridgemont High, which I find a bit easier to relate to.

So is this movie worth your time? Well, if you ask me, the answer is yes, regardless of the fact that one of my all-time favourite directors happened to be behind the camera. Because altough I can't say I loved it, it was definitely a movie I found good enough to have deserved its title as a classic. One I'm sure also works as a wonderfully nostalgic trip for those who were there and experienced the era in person.
Jason S

April 26, 2008
A classic that still works to this day. The cast is loaded and all the stories involved are pretty good.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 7, 2008
Formula that Dazed and Confused used to focus on the lives of different teenagers during one evening. Good film, the music was probably better in Dazed and Confused but the early 60's vibe is like candy.
Jennifer X

June 15, 2007
It's a good nostalgia flick, very atmospheric soundtrack and I could live on Wolfman Jack's voice. Still, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.
Pierluigi P

May 12, 2007
The only George Lucas film I like, in fact, I love it. a Fellini-like premise, highly nostalgic, heart-felt and hilarious. awesome soundtrack.