American Graffiti - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Graffiti Reviews

½ July 2, 2017
Movie night with Iris.

This still really holds up 40+ years on, and you can see why the main stars all went onto greater things. Even Lucas going for subtle charm, before the CGI devils are his soul.
½ June 28, 2017
A movie that takes place in '62 but is stuck in the 50's. It was like a teenage soap opera over the span of one very long night and someone turned on the jukebox for non stop fifties music in the background. Eh. I suppose it's cool seeing a young Harrison Ford, Richard Dreyfuss and Ron("Ronny") Howard all together in the same movie, but honestly I wasn't all that entertained. It's decent, but not my thing really. I don't get the title honestly.. there was no graffiti here.
½ June 11, 2017
A charming and sweet coming-of-age story about the reluctance we all feel to grow up and move on. Simpler times, cooler cars, and less conveniences. Pepper in George Lucas' love for cars and evocative direction, and Eveslage & D'Alquen's technicolor cinematography, and you get a wonderful little movie that touches on the fact that teenagers, despite time and place, never change.
May 21, 2017
George Lucas' masterpiece about four graduated high school friends who spend their final night on the town before going their separate ways for college. They are immediately identifiable because they feel like real people. Ron Howard does an amazing job playing against type as a complete jerk stuck in a dysfunctional relationship with his all-too-trusting girlfriend. Richard Dreyfuss captures the what-the-hell-am-I-going-to-do-with-my-life emotions many people experience post-high school. Paul LeMat portrays a hotshot car fanatic who thinks he's a lot cooler than he really is. And finally we have Charles Martin Smith as the likeable nerdy one in the group. This film beautifully captures one night in their lives. In that time we come to love these characters, making the final scene all the more gut-wrenching.
½ April 25, 2017
American Graffiti was a film made just before my time, but watching the film brings back memories about the transition from high school to college. The script is simple but the acting and production are so effective , you may feel like a teenager again ! 3.5 stars
½ April 24, 2017
American Graffiti follows an assortment of recent high school grads as they go through one last hurrah on the last day of summer in 1962. As one would expect from the premise, the story is a coming-of-age yarn that finds its cast of various young people struggling with the life-changing decisions they're about to make at a critical moment in their lives. American Graffiti is billed as a comedy and it does have funny moments, but this movie is also as sad, confused, awkward, dramatic, painful, silly, nostalgic, and cynical as an actual adolescent can be. These qualities can be attributed to an honest script, judicious direction by George Lucas, a well-chosen roster of actors, and a soundtrack that provides a nonstop fusillade of period chart hits overseen by legendary DJ Wolfman Jack.
April 7, 2017
A funny, and bittersweet look at the lives of a group of 1960's high school graduates. With with a timeless message, and entertaining characters.
½ March 25, 2017
9.5 out of 10:

Nostalgic, funny, and relatable, American Graffiti provides a smart look at teens in the 60s.
½ March 7, 2017
A night to remember.
March 2, 2017
Great movie by all means. Fun, deep, sweet, warm. A beautiful work of art.
February 23, 2017
Great character driven movie that will make you nostalgic for 1950s
January 19, 2017
I find it hard to imagine a better movie than this.
It works on every level, it is simply perfect! How could it have been any better? Storyline,soundtrack,characters ..everything about it is just..perfect.
½ January 15, 2017
Thankfully there is no where near as much empty headed nostalgia as I had suspected. That George Lucas could craft something of such deep emotional complexity will never cease to amaze me.
January 13, 2017
A movie I saw 3 times the 1st week it came out in the 70's. I still love this movie as one of my favorites. Even though it was set in 1962, it could be any time and any place as far as relationships go.One of the best movies ever as far as developing multiple characters.
Harrison Ford, Richard Dreyfus and Ron Howard lead an all star cast. Also the music definitely deserves mentioning.
January 8, 2017
Loaded with stars, that seems to be its more than anything else, and honestly that is what it deserves. Filled with good performances, but nothing too stand out, it still remains a 'classic' and probably will be forever. I can see why it has appeal, however, I think for me it's going to have to fall into the category of something everyone else seems to love, but I believe is just okay.
½ January 2, 2017
Proto-Superbad / Dazed and Confused, it's pretty astonishing the kind of influence you can trace directly from George Lucas' original blockbuster. Surprisingly (considering he wrote the script) the dialogue feels pretty believable, and the soundtrack (can't believe they were able to license music so cheap) really props up each scene. Doesn't hold up SUPER well in terms of entertainment value, but still a good movie and a recommended watch for film buffs.
January 1, 2017
this is a really good movie about romance adolescence and cruising and I love cruising
½ December 28, 2016
Nostalgic teen movie "made in the USA" by Mr. George Lucas. Yes, he did more movies than Star Wars.
½ December 8, 2016
George Lucas masterfully crafts an iconic and nostalgic coming-of-age high school movie that influenced the genre on the 80's and remains fresh until today.
November 11, 2016
George Lucas is happily in his element discussing, remembering, life in small town United States before the assassination of John F. Kennedy and the arrival of the Beatles. While there's old cars and plenty of early rock and roll radio, malt shops and cruising the strip, it's in the electricity of the sock hops that Lucas really feels his groove. Nice stuff, even if the thrust of the thing is chiefly about how being white and well thought of is no guarantee of happiness. Of the four main characters, clichès all (one squeaky clean class president, one James Dean-like gearhead, one "smart guy", and one spazz nerdtype), only one "gets lucky" and he gets an asswhupping. Luckily the music saves the thing.